Broken

Broken

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  7,781 ratings  ·  779 reviews
This month my name is Mary. My name is different every month—Brandy, Honey, Amy…sometimes Joe doesn't even bother to ask—but he never fails to arouse me with his body, his mouth, his touch, no matter what I'm called or where he picks me up. The sex is always amazing, always leaves me itching for more in those long weeks until I see him again.

My real name is Sadie, and onc

Published May 1st 2007 by Spice (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.

Kent The idiot that was supposed to be taking care of him should have been brought up on charges, but I think it was the best thing for Sadie.

Buggy
Opening line:"This month my name is Mary and apparently, I'm as contrary as the nursery rhyme"

Broken is one of the most amazing books I’ve read in a long time, and author Megan Hart, well wow, I’m just in love with her writing. Reading Broken felt like eating dessert or chocolate, as she has a way of making her words delicious. So perfectly descriptive and achingly beautiful, I only wish I could put my muddled thoughts into sentences the way she does.

This is a unique, very real and somewhat hea...more
Ridley
Been thinking about this lately, and decided to revise my score down from 5*. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got at the book.

I'd have to re-read it to write an in-depth review, but here's a quick and dirty list of why I changed my rating.

1. It's an extremely negative treatment of disability. I originally loved the book so much because of Adam. He was more familiar to me than any other disabled character I've run across, and I loved seeing my own experiences and frustrations voiced by...more
Sammy, the Cyborg Slut  & Lover of Books
Losing my virginity hadn’t made me a woman, but almost losing my husband had. He could have died.
There are days I weep with gratitude that he didn’t.
And then, there are days I wish he had.

makeout

Adam is a poet. His love for Sadie is pure and full of passion. They are young and his career as a famous poet is really taking off when tragedy strikes!

“A thousand poets could write for a thousand years,” he whispered, “and none of them would ever be able to describe how I feel about you.”

Sadie and Adam had...more
K.
"Broken" by Megan Hart; Contemporary cross between romance and women's erotic fiction

Adam and Sadie and Joe

I've needed to write this review for some time now, as it's definitely a book I don't want to forget about. So much is left out of the typical back cover synopsis and the editorial review on it, that I believe it can really put a reader off and lead them astray for the wrong reasons. Contrary to all three names above, this is a book that only deals with the ethics of what is considered chea...more
Eastofoz
Aug 14, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers looking for an atypical erotic romance
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Anu
This is a blisteringly hot sizzler of a novel that has a very unusual plot. There’s a lot of sex but it’s appropriate and what makes it appropriate is the very unique kind of writing. For the first 30 odd pages you get the impression that this is a sex with no story kind of book, but that couldn’t be further from the truth so pay attention from page one.

Told in the first person, Broken is the story of Sadie Danning whose once idyllic and just beautifully perfect life has been shattered in a way...more
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Megan Hart is a very emotional writer. When I pick up a book she has penned, I know many things before I even read the description. I know it will not be light and fluffy--I know it will probably not have a happy ending--i know there will be one or more tortured souls--I know there will be some smokin' hot sex--and finally, I know I am going to love it.

Broken is a heart wrenching story of a man and woman, very much in love. The man suffers a terrible accident that leaves him paralyzed from the n...more
Wicked Incognito Now
Megan Hart writes erotic romance, but with so much seriousness and reverence...I hesitate to call it erotica. It can't be. Not the way she writes it. Sure, it's titillating, but it's so so much more.

I have never felt so much despair, rage, empathy, sadness, and longing for a fictional character before.

This is the story of a woman whose husband suffered an accident leaving him a paraplegic. Sure, his personal suffering is too much to even contemplate, but what happens to the wife? She must be str...more
La-Lionne
***5 heartbreaking, happy, funny, sad and hot stars ***

Don't have enough words in my vocabulary to tell you how much I loved this book. Unique and different. It was like an adult version of Me Before You. That's the only book I can compare to.

description

***

Before I get on with my review I want to give a shout out to whom ever chose that stupid, distasteful and misleading book cover where a man has his hand on girls (emphasis on "girl's" not a "woman's" knee). Because of you I passed this book over and over...more
Mandi Schreiner
This book is one of the most intense, emotional, dark books I've read. Extremely erotic, extremely painful...I loved every page.

It is not a typical romance book - it is more a very intimate look inside Sadie and Joe's life...with an ending that is kind of happy. Amazing.
Duchess Nicole
I'm not sure how to start except to say that a review can't possibly do this book justice. The blurb outlines one of the major parts of this story, but really can't explain the plot without giving the book away. The word 'husband' threw me off. I'm not one to enjoy erotica just for the sake of the taboo, and I was worried that this would downplay the importance of fidelity and trust in you partner or marriage. It doesn't.

I thought after the first chapter that I understood the gist of the story....more
NiteReader
5 Heart breaking stars
Sadie's story broke my heart into tiny pieces.
The masterful writing kept me enthralled until the hopeful end.
It was wonderful to see Elle from Dirty, her storyline was perfectly interwoven with Sadie's.
Another emotional read from Ms Hart, but if you enjoy her books, this is a must read!
Vilda
Rating: 4.5 stars

I made the mistake of finishing up Broken while sitting on my train and boy, was that a bad idea. Imagine trying to read what suddenly turns into a truly heartbreaking story, one you just cannot put down, while tears are trying to escape and it's hard to breath from trying to hold in your sobs, while people are staring at you. So not a good combination!

I don't even know what to say. I didn't understand why people thought it was even better and more emotional than Dirty at first...more
P.A. Lupton

Do you ever wonder how many different stories can be written? How many different ways can a person say the same thing. How do authors come up with new ideas, or even old ideas told in a different way? We all use the same words, have the same dictionaries, but why are some gifted with the ability to structure those words and stories so much more effectively than others; to evoke powerful emotions with nothing but the stroke of a pen or clacking of keys. Megan Hart is one of these writers.

I just...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
I think I shall call this one the tale of two books because this is how I felt when reading Broken.

Let's start with the book 1 : The good book.

Sadie's relationship with Adam is broken. After a skiing accident leaves him paralyzed from the neck down, he retreats inside of himself and becomes a shell of the person he used to be. Sadie longs to be close to her husband, but intimate moments are few and far between.

This is the story that I truly enjoyed. I'm constantly fascinated with peeking in the...more
Mimi Smith
4 stars

This isn't a book-it's an emotional Roller Coaster. I went through every emotion in the book, while reading. I was happy, sad, angry, sympathetic, sad, you know *blushes*, and SAD again. If you're looking for something hot and sweet don't read it. If you're looking for heavy duty angst and real-life story then it might be. So, despite this book being classified as an Erotica, it's definitely not one to set you in the mood. Unless that mood is a depressed.

The Premise

This book begins with...more
Quinn
Wow. Just..... wow.

Broken is an amazing book that defies description and categorization. It is not your typical erotica, nor can it be classed as romance, though it certainly contains elements of each. It is a complex and layered novel that is so much more than any synopsis could possibly represent.

Broken is the story of three people - Sadie, her husband Adam, and Joe. But this is not a love triangle story.

Sadie and Adam meet in college and fall in love in the sweetest way. They marry and have t...more
C.D. Reiss
Holy crap.
JSYK - if I don't love or like something a lot, I don't review it. Because....who has the time?

So, holy crap.

Last night, the kids were screaming, dinner was burning, homework wasn't getting done, and I was on the couch, glued to my kindle. And it's not like we had killers running around, jumping on trains while secret agents chase them. Oh no. A woman. Her quadriplegic husband. A man she meets for lunch.

And some of the BEST sex scenes ever committed to words.

My heart broke for this wom...more
Sibylla Matilde
Okay, holy hell, I loved this book...I'd give it 6 stars if I could! It has been a while since a book really got me as much as this one has. The story is so totally different than anything I've ever read. The characters are so much deeper than most I've read. The complexity had me in tears over and over, and I don't cry easily in a book. Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me...
comfort
I knew that this book contained some heart-break- but my god, there I was at 2am sitting in bed bawling my eyes out. I don't think I have read such a harrowing story for years.

I did like the way a few of the characters from the previous book turned up in this book, made it feel familiar even though the heroine is a different person.

Again- like Dirty- this starts of quite light-hearted but then wham!

I liked the way it turned out- but did think she was going to blow it.

I was going to read Deeper-...more
Adrienne
Oct 31, 2009 Adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Adrienne by: All other Megan Hart fans
This book was everything I've come to expect from Megan Hart and more. So why is it so difficult for me to put into words exactly how I feel about it? I'm not going to write a re-word of the storyline as this has already been done, yet I feel I'm not doing any of the characters justice by not doing so.

What I want to make ia an observation of how I feel after reading this book. Sadie, Joe and Adam are products of a mind that understands human nature and can very eloquently inform,arouse and give...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I started reading this book months ago, but after the first 70 pages or so found it too depressing to continue. Just the other day, though, Eastofoz read and loved it, and I was reminded I should just finish it. I picked it up again and the story just seemed to take off and turned out much better on the second attempt.

Sadie is a psychiatrist who spends all her time and energy caring for her quadriplegic husband, Adam, once a creative genius whom she met at uni. She's silent about the stress, fat...more
Miss Kim
Nov 26, 2011 Miss Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Author who know what to expect
Paula

There are many things I don't know, but quite a few I do. I know you can't be lost if you know where you are. I know that life is full of precious and fragile things, and not all of them are pretty. I know that the sun follows the moon and makes days, one after another. Time passes. The world turns, and we turn with it, and though we can never go back to the beginning, sometimes, we can start again.” –Sadie

Sadie and Adam’s story:
This story is told from Sadie’s POV. When Sadie met Adam at a col...more
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
What I got from this book was so different to what I expected from the synopsis!

What an emotional ride this book was.

My heart ached for Sadie and her situation with Adam - it was heartbreaking. Adam was the love of her life, and the chain of events that led her to where she was was devastating.

I looked forward to her meetings with Joe once a month but ached for her when that meeting was over and she had to go back to her life.

I also really felt for Adam in this book - it's hard not to have feeli...more
One day last weekend, I was playing around on the internet and stumbled upon Megan Hart's website. After reading about her, I went on and read about her novels and Broken stuck out to me immediately. I knew I HAD to read this book THIS weekend or I might die from the need of wanting to get my hands on this book. My husband gave me a super cool early Christmas present, the Nook, so I set out to get this book. Well, like a big slap in the face they didn't have it! WHAT?!! I was still persistent an...more
Crista
For a romance, I'd seriously give this 1 star. For a erotic fiction novel, I'd give this one 5 stars without question. It's like nothing you've ever read before and it will definitely stay with you. My hesitation to give it higher marks is my disappointment with the romance.

Sadie and Adam were the true love story of this book. Their courtship is described, and is very sweet and believable. Adam is paralyzed in a ski accident and their lives are immediately changed. Their marriage goes from bein...more
Eunice
If there is an erotic novel I would recommend and wouldn't be really embarrassed, okay, maybe a little, some parts of it were definitely way out of my comfort zone but still I think it would be this book. It was so much more than I had expected. I was surprised to find that this book has such a wonderful plot and depth that was just so emotionally gripping and utterly heartbreaking. I'd never thought a novel of this genre would make quite an impact on me but this one did.

What's so wonderful abo...more
Autumn
I cant gather my thoughts as of yet with this book.But i can tell you it was possibly the most difficult,emotionally strung read i have had in my hands.. i feel like in an emotional comma!

Megan H, was brutally brilliant. I mean, she got the best and worst emotions out of me..I dont know where i stand with this book in a personal level, but talent wise. wow!

will review later.
*P*u*r*p*l*e*
This review is posted on Way Too Hot Books.

“There are many things I don't know, but quite a few I do. I know you can't be lost if you know where you are. I know that life is full of precious and fragile things, and not all of them are pretty. I know that the sun follows the moon and makes days, one after another. Time passes. The world turns, and we turn with it, and though we can never go back to the beginning, sometimes, we can start again.”

Sometimes, when reading a book, I get this urge to...more
is there a squeal ? 3 86 Apr 02, 2013 02:30PM
  • Voyeur
  • The Angel (The Original Sinners, #2)
  • Damaged Goods
  • Liberating Lacey
  • Curio (Curio, #1)
  • Bound to Please
  • The Reluctant Dom (Suncoast Society, #4)
  • An Ordinary Girl
  • Wicked Burn
  • The Fifth Favor
  • Butterfly Tattoo
  • The Dom's Dungeon
  • The Dark Garden
  • Sacred Secrets (Chronicles of Surrender, #1)
  • Wild, Wicked, & Wanton
  • Guilty Pleasures
Megan Hart has written in almost every genre of romantic fiction, including historical, contemporary, romantic suspense, romantic comedy, futuristic, fantasy and perhaps most notably, erotic. She also writes non-erotic fantasy and science fiction, as well as continuing to occasionally dabble in horror.

--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads databas...more
More about Megan Hart...
Dirty (Dan and Elle, #1) Tempted (Alex Kennedy, #1) Switch Naked (Alex Kennedy, #2) Stranger

“Memory can refuse to let you forget what you’d like to and run away with what you want to remember. It’s an unreliable bitch, or your best friend. Sometimes, it’s both at once.” 180 likes
“But sometimes it's the sunshine that frightens us more than the big black shadows.” 100 likes