Start by marking “My Lady Notorious” as Want to Read:
My Lady Notorious

My Lady Notorious (Mallorens & Friends #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  2,204 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
Hailed as "captivating" (Booklist) and "exquisitely sensual" (Library Journal), Jo Beverley's Malloren novels capture the unforgettable world of Georgian England. Now her fans can discover why the book that started it all, My Lady Notoriousx, has been called "storytelling at its best" (Rendezvous).
Published July 1st 2002 by Signet Book (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about My Lady Notorious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lady Notorious

Dina
Warning: This isn't really a review. It's a rant, and therefore it's full of spoilers.

This book had an interesting premise - a strong heroine who disguises herself as a boy and "kidnaps" the charming hero in order to help her widowed sister - and I was fully expecting to enjoy it, but somehow it didn't work that well for me.

I loved the beginning of the book, when I got to know the somewhat flighty Cyn Malloren and the Notorious Chastity Ware. Since she was in disguise, he didn't know who she rea
Yolanda
3,5
Las andanzas de Cyn y Chastity.
Me he reído mucho con Cyn, con su manera de "picar" a Chastity y su afán de aventura. El momento "vestimenta"...genial.
Chastity aguantando como una campeona las tretas de Cyn. Tremendo lo que le pasa a la pobre.
Este primer libro nos abre la puerta a conocer a los peculiares Malloren.
Recomendable. Creo que leeré alguno más, me he quedado con ganas de más Rothgar.

Jacob Proffitt
May 29, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
Well, I wondered what one of Jo Beverley's early books was like and I have to call this a raging success. This was a great story with a spanking pace and characters I liked a great deal. I even liked how she handled the masquerade aspect with Chastity spending much of the novel posing as Charles. Since Cyn catches on almost immediately, but chooses not to give anything away because of reasons that morph over time, it works better as a romance than would be typical of such a story (since both cha ...more
Kit★
Re-read this, a bit late, but for the historical series group read in WaMRL. I ended up enjoying it quite well once I got time to sit and actually read more than a page here and there. I was reminded of why Jo Beverley was one of my favorite authors. It's been a good while since I read anything of hers, but I'm totally looking forward to getting through the rest of this series at long last! I'm sorely tempted to go ahead and dive into Bryght's book as soon as I finish this review!
This time arou
Nisha
Aug 08, 2009 Nisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical comedy romance lovers
The first time I read this, i was too lazy to write an actual review. This time, I figure my opinions have changed a little, so I might as well. And they have, though ever so slightly.

Chastity Ware is disgraced and spends her time dressed up as a man (especially since her mad father shaved off her hair). When her older sister, Verity and her newborn son come to her in need of her help, Chastity would do anything to protect her, from the horrid brother-in-law and their father. Unfortunately, the
Jonel Boyko
Beverly is a natural storyteller. She had me laughing from the first chapter. This fantastic story took me on an unforgettable journey , both in character growth and exciting plot. Beverly combines period correct settings with an unimaginable story to create a tale that readers will adore. It is simultaneously sweet, sassy, & spicy. And of course, I may never look at food quite the same way again…

I don’t know who’s more priceless, Cyn or Chas. They’re both such unusual individuals. I thorou
Regan Walker
3 and Stars - Lady Highwayman Captures a Willing Aristocrat in a Bawdy Georgian Romp

Set in the late 18th century (1761 from the context of the story), this tells of Lady Chastity Ware, who with her widowed sister, Verity, is on the run from her father and Verity’s brother-in-law, who want Verity’s child and to force the sisters into unwanted marriages. Verity would have the man she loves and Chastity, having been ruined by her father, will have no one.

In need of money, Chastity dresses as a man
Myself
Jan 30, 2017 Myself rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-rita
#RetoRita
Empezando, a ver si con este tengo más suerte
Libro terminado!!! 3.5/5
Por fin un libro que me ha gustado. Este libro me ha entretenido, me ha hecho reír y he disfrutado con los dos protagonistas Cyn y Chastity. No es para llegar al 4 pero le doy algo más de 3.
Elis Madison
This is my first Malloren book, and I can only say that if the rest of the series is like this, I will be one very happy reader for some time to come. It’s been awhile since I’ve met a villain I hated as heartily as I hated the villain in this tome.

Or a romantic duo that was as much fun.

Handsome as sin Cynric Malloren

is the younger brother of the Marquess of Rothgar. Cyn’s being mollycoddled after a serious illness, and he’s having a bit of a sulk about it.

So when his coach is stopped by highw
Natalia

3,5

Ha sido un libro con momentos muy buenos de risa (obviamente sabemos ya cuales ;)), momentos un tanto pesados (dando muchas vueltas a todo y a nada) y momentos duros desde mi punto de vista, donde nos ha mostrado lo cruel que era la vida para una mujer y el terrible pensamiento de propiedad que tenían los hombre de esa época (vamos que no eramos otra cosa que un jarrón o poco más). En este aspecto me ha gustado como lo ha mostrado la autora, sin tapujos y a las claras. Ha mostrado l
Christine
Mar 26, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I think I've found myself a new romance author. I almost never give 5-star reviews to straight genre romance, so this is about as good as it gets. It was at times amusing, passionate, and exciting.

Basic synopsis: Chastity is trying to help her widowed sister and her sister's newborn baby flee from the dead husband's younger brother, who might not think much of a 2-month-old getting between him and a title. They can't trust their father, either, after he did some terrible things to Chastity to t
Shasha
Jan 23, 2017 Shasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hea, attempted-rape
I was expecting a Regency, but got a Georgian instead. So I was surprised at how sexual this book is; from the H's thoughts and dialogue, the frank mentions of homosexuality, the orgy wake, the assault(s) on the heroine, the sibling kiss and the future brother in law french kiss.

The historical details were a treat. I loved the game they played in the carriage and the differences of clothing and how to dress in the period. Other details were cringe worthy, such as the slave at the orgy and Rothg
Margaret
Tough cross-dressing heroine plus light-hearted (occasionally cross-dressing) hero equals happiness -- I liked this a lot, more than any of the Company of Rogues books I've read so far (except maybe Forbidden). I particularly liked that there were several opportunities for the Big Misunderstanding between the hero and the heroine, and instead of going there, they actually worked things out. I shall be seeking out the rest of the Malloren books.
Suzanne
Feb 19, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent narration by Alison Larkin of the wonderfully funny and sexy My Lady Notorious. Larkin's narration captured the nuances of the amusing dialogue and subtly used a variety of accents and tones to differentiate the characters. Did a fine job of inhabiting the alternate voices of Lady Chastity, and her alter egos, Charles and Chloe. Can't wait for further audiobook renditions of Jo Beverley's Malloren series!
Zoe
no highwayman heroine for me.
Kathy
Jun 26, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apologies: this is long and spoiler-ish.

This is the first of the Malloren series by Jo Beverley, and it is one of my favorites. While there have been many historical romances in which the heroine dresses as a boy/young man, this book, written in 1993, features a hero who also takes a walk on his "feminine" side. And he does it confidently, comfortably, and believably. The cross-dressing is presented as disguises for both Lady Chastity and Lord Cynric Malloren, but My Lady Notorious offers a diff
Isa
Mar 10, 2017 Isa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oscilando entre una o dos estrellas. Al final dos porque está bien escrito, pero me he aburrido y, por supuesto, no hay nada que me haya parecido ni remotamente divertido.
Si he sentido algo será curiosidad, pero solo por conocer la historia de Rothgar.
Hackmops
Many moons ago, My Lady Notorious by Jo Beverley was, along with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and Stephanie Laurens' Devil's Bride, my first foray into historical romance. When I read this book for the first time, the 24 year old hero was a few years older than me.. and now this has been reversed. Oh, how time flies..

First published in 1993, My Lady Notorious holds up remarkably well - no insta-love through rape, no terrible casual misogyny, none of the "no means take me I am yours" and the steam
Naty Levin
Mar 13, 2017 Naty Levin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-rita
En espera hasta nuevo aviso. Cuando llevas 5 capítulos y se siente como si fueran 25 es posible que no sea el momento de leer esta historia.
Sara
Mar 04, 2017 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wellll... actually this might be my favorite Jo Beverley book. Normally I don't much care for the re-appearance of older romance series characters in the newer romances -- way too forced -- but jesus, I'm sad Cyn and Portia went haring off to Canada never to be seen again.

Janine Southard
May 14, 2013 Janine Southard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victoriana, romance
I really wanted to like this. I mean, it has a crossdressing Regency heroine who plays highwayman (but is actually a high-born lady, because it's a Regency romance).

I was hoping for something like Catherine Lundoff's "Regency Masquerade" (except for the cis-het audience and longer because that short story is much too short. You can read it in A Day at the Inn, a Night at the Palace and Other Stories).

But this book is largely bewildering, and the characters aren't very fun at first. Our hero, for
P Dreadful
Nov 03, 2016 P Dreadful rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Mancho283
3.5 เลมนีเปนเรืองของซิน นองชายคนเลกของบานกับเลดีแชสติตี ผูเสือมเสีย เรืองราวนารักดีนะ รักทีเกิดขึนระหวางการผจญภัย เรืองเริมจากการทีนางเอกตองการชวยพีสาวใหรอดพนจากนองชายของสามีพีสาว ทีอาจจะทำรายลูก(ซึงกคือหลานของเขาเอง)เพือหวังมรดก ทำใหนางเอกจำเปนตองดักปลนคนเดินทาง ซึงกมาเจอกับลอรดซินเขา ตอนแรกทีเจอกันนางเอกปลอมตัวเปนผูชาย แตถึงอยางนันเขากมองออกอยูดีวาเธอเปนผูหญิง และเริมสนุกกับการผจญภัยครังนี จึงทำใหเขายอมชวยเหลือนางเอกทีตองการพาพีสาวกับหลานหนีไปพบกับแนธาเนียลอดีตคนรักของพีสาว ระหวางทางกโดนตามจาก ...more
Amina
Jun 29, 2014 Amina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely not the usual type of book I would read, no fantasy, supernatural or sci-fi elements and to top it off its historical. Yikes, I still don't know what made me start reading it.
Nevertheless I'm glad I did, not because it was some awesome story that I'd be stupid not to read, but because it has opened my eyes to other genres. Don't get me wrong I have loved books which haven't ticked my story element prerequisite boxes in the past, such as The catcher in the rye, but I always th
C.J. Prince
Sep 10, 2012 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are days when nothing will do but a good historical romance. Really. If you haven't read one, try it. So as autumn whispers through the cedars and trembles the big leaf maple leaves, I picked up "My Lady Notorious" by Jo Beverley, the all time queen of the genre. A good plot, intriguing characters, good historical research and not too cloying with the romance aspect.

To my great surprise, I recognized Cyn Malloren and all the other characters as the challenges of being a woman in the Georgi
Lynne weir
While waiting for my plane to Menorca, I was given a book coupon for the airport shop and took a nosy. While flicking through books I heard the announcment that the gates where open for my plane and in a panic (not wanting to waste the coupon) I bought this book. To be honest if I hadnt been rushed I may never have got this book but I was rushed so I did get it and thank goodness I was rushed. This book was amasing, I loved it. I love history based books, but usually find this sort a bit... chee ...more
Dangermousie
Set in Georgian times, the heroine is someone who's had her reputation ruined, hair cut off etc for refusing to marry a particular person by her eeeeeevil authoritarian father. Now she is helping her widowed sister escape an even worse fate and that is where her paths cross with Cynric Malloren. Cynric is bored and joins them on their trip, cross-dressing as a woman. So yup, here they travel, he as a girl, she as a man. Blahblahblah.

This book is by turns hilarious, sexy, romantic, and angsty. A
An Odd1
Aug 09, 2011 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xrate
"My Lady Notorious" (Malloren 1) by Jo Beverley is Lady Chastity, punished by her father for refusing to be trapped into marriage with a cruel nobody. To save her sister, a new widow and mother, from the same villain, she poses as a highwayman to rob the fully-recuperated and itching-for-action youngest Lord Malloren. Fun-loving soldier Cyn teases and taunts; brave shorn Chas reciprocates. Multiple hilarious disguises complicate their deceptions. Finally he unwillingly involves his protective ri ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
2/5; 2 stars; C

I read this book years ago and thought it wasn't too bad but when I got the audiobook the other day and decided to re-visit I was disappointed. I was going to DNF this book about half way but just slid the slider through about 6 hours of audio and listened to the last hour. It was good. Rothgar is an excellent spider with everyone in his web. A well intentioned spider mind you.

I think the time setting and the story had a lot of potential to make this a better book but the purple
Carmen
Jun 15, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 estrellas para esta novela romántica de época que me ha sorprendido por su trama y la manera en la que se relacionan los protagonistas. Esta historia me ha enganchado hasta el final, deseosa de conocer cómo conseguían solucionar cada uno de los problemas que tienen sus protagonistas.
Continuaré con la serie Malloren, ya que estoy deseando saber qué se le ha ocurrido a la autora para cada uno de los hermanos.
  • Lady Rogue
  • Shadow Dance
  • The Lady's Secret
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • Angel Rogue (Fallen Angels, #4)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • What an Earl Wants
  • Seduced
  • The Prince of Midnight
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Revealed (The Blue Raven, #1)
  • Splendor
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • My Dearest Enemy
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Mallorens & Friends (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Tempting Fortune (Malloren, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Malloren, #3)
  • Secrets of the Night (Malloren, #4)
  • Devilish (Malloren, #5)
  • Winter Fire (Malloren, #6)
  • A Most Unsuitable Man (Malloren, #7)
  • A Lady's Secret (Malloren, #8)
  • The Secret Wedding (Malloren, #9)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • An Unlikely Countess (Malloren #11)

“Face battles when they come, not before.
-Lord Cynric Malloren”
7 likes
“You can't love me.'

'Don't be bossy. I can do what the hell I like.”
5 likes