Start by marking “Sword Of God (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sword Of God (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #3)

Sword Of God (Jonathon Payne & David Jones #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,961 ratings  ·  84 reviews
In a secret bunker, one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is under interrogation-until he is rescued, and his captors are slaughtered.
Ex-MANIAC honcho Jonathan Payne vows revenge-but there is more to the bloody atrocity than terrorist reprisal. There is a plot in motion that will burn the world in the fires of holy war.
Published September 25th 2007 by Jove Books

To ask other readers questions about Sword Of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword Of God

Tony
Chris Kuzneski- Sword of God (Berkley Publishing 2007) 3.5 Stars

When a boy from South Korea discovers a cave full of blood near his village, he has no idea how it will affect his fellow villagers. In Saudi Arabia a major archaeological discovery has just been made. The U.S. has called in Payne and Jones on a black ops mission, but neither knows exactly why they have been called in, nor what is going on. Left to figure things out on their own they have decided to handle things in their own way. U
William Bentrim
Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski

Novels that read like current events are frequently frightening. This portrayal of an orchestrated mass murder to unite the diverse elements of Islam is very disturbing. The disturbing aspect is that it seemed eminently probable.

Jonathan Payne is larger than life and a good combination of Bruce Lee and John Wayne. His side kick D.J. Jones is a tad more believable. The novel does a nice job in the portrayal of feared elements both abroad and in our own government.

Sa
Tim Pendry
Mar 23, 2008 Tim Pendry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a romp
Shelves: thriller
This was surprisingly good considering it is yet another of the surge of books mixing Middle Eastern politics and at least the implication of ancient secrets.

Kuzneski can write without cliche when he wants to, but when he does cliche, wow does he go to town - the 'machismo' of the hero and his sidekick (who kept reminding me of the Lone Ranger and Tonto for some reason) in the early chapters was just OTT.

But, despite this caveat and the usual necessary unbelievabilities which are part of this
Cheryle Leggett
WOW! What an author. Chris Kuzneski definately has a way with words.

The characters are fantastic, as are the stories. It's a great thriller, but it's got it's funny moments in it - mostly due to the two main characters.

When I wasn't near the book, all I wanted was to read it, and when I was reading it, I just wanted to know what would happen next. It really is gripping.
Santosh
Disappointing. Could not finish the book and left it midway. The suspense is not potent enough to hold you even after 100+ pages and the religious angle does not hold promise for a great reading experience. May be worth read of you have no books packed on a long flight but surely you will deviate if you have 100 books waiting to be read on your kindle.
Allan
Like his previous novel, The Sign Of The Cross, this is a fairly fast-paced action thriller and a very easy read - ideal holiday or travel reading.
With Payne and Jones back as the main heroes of the piece and with several plot twists, it's an entertaining read.
Daizymaine
It was an ok read. Entertaining, good mystery with a lot of twists but some of them went no where. Some of the characters are never really fully developed.
Christina Woodworth
If you like The DaVinci Code, Indiana Jones, mysteries, and action, delve into the world of Payne and Jones--ex-military special ops and all-around bad asses. This is book number 4 in this series, and it is a fast-paced, quick-witted, action-packed thriller. Payne and Jones find themselves trying to unravel the mystery of the stranger who called out of the blue needing help, but before they can help, the man is murdered. Their travels take them to Ramstein, Germany (which totally made this forme ...more
Kislay Verma
From my review at SolomonSays:

The third edition of Payne and Jones follows the lead of the second in terms of religious sensationalism. This time, however, the target is Islam and its imaginary dark secrets are protected by the two protagonists. The plot lines are similar in terms of two series of events-one clearly religious and other one not so –merging into one as the story progresses. The plot lines are also similar in terms of invincibility of our heroes and trigger-happy disposition of pre
High Wycombe Library
The third installment in the Payne & Jones series, Sword Of God is a fast paced thriller, melding elements of archaeology and ancient scripture into a gripping read, that is a welcome continuation to the series. ^GE

If you liked Sword Of God why not try:
The Devil Colony by James Rollins
Temple Of The Gods by Andy McDermott
The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry
Warriorangel Warriorangel
Jul 17, 2008 Warriorangel Warriorangel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good thriller
Pleasantly surprised by this author. This is the first of his books I am reading and quite like his writing style. Loved the funny dialogue between Payne & Jones :) I read alot of fiction & out of habit I'd look for the factual bits throughout the story and find myself wanting to verify them. The hajj journey is quite interesting. As espionage-ish drama storylines go, the plot of this one is a frightening thought...am about 3/4 way through it & am thoroughly enjoying it thus far.

(17/
Randee Baty
This is the third book in the Payne and Jones series and the third one I've read. It's the best so far. I can feel this author growing in his confidence with this series.

Payne and Jones, ex-special forces, are called in to help deal with an protege of theirs that has disappeared. The plot includes plans for a terrorist attack on Mecca. The action is very violent so if you don't like blood, this isn't the book for you. On the other hand, the characters work well together and have a true friendshi
Sartaj Singh
The idea was really compelling..especially the modern world terrorism theme mixed with elite forces with really cool names and bad-ass ex-soldiers..but i'm sorry is it just me or was the main topic over which the book was written is lost before you can even say "Yeah i get what this is about." and instead its like "Oh yeah that's inters..wait..whaaa..? O.o".
I mean there are about maximum 7 or 8 pages written which actually relate to the title of this book.
Still having said all that the action sc
Jonathan
I really did not enjoy this story, seemed un-coordinated and mismatched. The idea was good but seemed to me that nothing connected, and it came over in a way that the story was unplanned and just ad-libbed as the author wrote it! Sorry - felt like I had wasted my time on this one !
Tammy
The book was surprisingly quite pleasant to read (ignoring the gory plot) and the humor balanced out the whole terrorist plot to destroy something quite nicely.
Overall, the author has a good way with words supported by an action-packed not humor lacking storyline. A good read, I must say!
Joann
This is not the type of book I normally read but it was recommended to me by a friend. It was a good read even though I started the series out of order. I like it as the author is from Pittsburgh and the books move fast. I like the character also and the friendship they share.
Asmaa Essakouti
the whole idea behind the book is wrong, the author was thinking about nothing, except of underestimating arabs, by filling his novel of stereotypes.
after reading the book you'll be determined that every arab is a terrorist, who is capable of exploding even "Mecca" to gather muslims around one idea, around one enemy..
Robin
The title of this one is a little misleading since the historical sword discovered in the beginning actually has nothing to do with the main plot. The historical side of it is weak and disappointing. The religious elements were strong but they are not as thought-provoking as Dan Brown's novels. If you like political/military thrillers about terrorism than this might appeal to you - although the writing isn't superb. But if you're looking for a historical mystery Dan Brown style, this isn't it. A ...more
Sam
Thoroughly enjoyable book, well written and creative storyline and believable characters following on from his previous book The Sign of the Cross. The characters of Payne and Jones are fantastic, obviously well researched and thought out with glimpses of their pasts given, I can't wait to read the next one with these two, they're beginning to become real people in my head lol. The story was also well researched and brilliantly written without taking any sides (other than Payne and Jones' of cou ...more
James
Okay read, good story but I am still struggling to relate to the two main characters.
Good story about manipulation and the desire to seek revenge.
June Seymour
Fourth book I have read of his. Definitely action/adventure, definitely gory. If you don't like a lot of blood and gore avoid this book(not that I like it either, but it promotes the back story). I do like the way he presents his two main characters. They are an interesting pair. Usually I have found references to Cussler(love him) in his(Kuzneski's) books. I did not see any in this one, unless I just missed it. The title refers to a search for the earliest copies of the Koran. It is a secondary ...more
Aurora Molitoris
Not a big military or terrorism reader. I also found it cliche.
Stephen
I started this series at The Plantation, and it just keeps getting better. Our intrepid heroes start off on a rescue mission which changes into an investigation of missing spec ops members. It turns out that the missing team has been duped into committing an act of terror. Our heroes embark to try to stop their erstwhile friends and in the process save Mecca's most holy site. I won't spoil the story for the reader, but I will say that it is a pretty amazing book.
Craig Hall
This is the first Kuznewski nowel that i have read and i thorougly enjoyed it! It was fast moving and factual and i found it a book that i looked forwrd to reading at night! My only disappointment was he ending, not in terms of what happended but the way it was written. Vhris had a lot o loose ends that he tried to tie up and they almost seemed to be a bit of an after thought once the main story had concluded. Just my opinion....!
Deborah Hamilton
This was a great page turner! I had a very hard time putting the book down until I had it finished. Each page dragged me further and further into a great story! From a small village in the Marshall Islands to Saudi Arabia, this book never stops. This book is sooo intense that the reader isn't aware that the story is about something terrifying until the last 100 pages! I highly recommend this book!
Michael
So when I find an author I like I tend to pick up several of their books at one time... If you like the Da Vinci Code genre - you'll enjoy these books. Loads of humor and mayhem. Interesting plot - however its like this author repeatedly goes into unneeded character building of the two main characters, yet very limited info/building of new persons introduced. Kind of fell flat at the end.
Brandon
Terrible book. Flat, predictable characters with no dynamism, plot was boring with no twists. I never cared about the characters or felt any suspense. I got to the book's climax and hardly knew it until I stopped to think about it, because it was so heavy handedly a case of the heroes winning with no real obstacles, it was hard to believe such a flat scene was the climax. Skip this one.
Simon Lee
As with Kuzneski's books... the first half or two thirds of the book is setting up the scenes and whatever else. Most of the main characters don't even meet up until quite late in the books so by the time you know the plot of what the bad guys are planning, you're almost at the end of the book. That said, you do tend to want to finish the book quite quickly.
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Chosen One
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
Chris Kuzneski (born in 1969) is a New York Times bestselling American author. His books have been translated into more than 20 languages and have been published in more than 40 countries. His works have also been named a Literary Guild's featured selection and honored by the Florida Book Awards. Due to his success in the United Kingdom, his books are released in the British market several months ...more
More about Chris Kuzneski...
Sign Of The Cross (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #2) The Lost Throne (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #4) The Prophecy (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #5) The Secret Crown (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #6) The Plantation (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #1)