Start by marking “The Price of a Bride” as Want to Read:
The Price of a Bride

The Price of a Bride

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,077 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Forced to marry!

When Mia Frazier agreed to her father's demand to marry Greek millionaire Alexander Doumas, she knew both men stood to gain from the deal--Alex would win back his family's island, and Mia's father would get the grandson and heir he so desperately longed for. But what about Mia?

She had her own reason for agreeing to be Alex's wife--which was not financial
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #2033, 187 pages
Published June 1999 by Harlequin Books (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of a Bride, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamThe Spanish Groom by Lynne GrahamThe Ultimate Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Price of a Bride by Michelle ReidSale Or Return Bride by Sarah Morgan
Best Harlequin Presents Novels
4th out of 389 books — 388 voters
The Spanish Groom by Lynne GrahamBond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamGold Ring of Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Trophy Husband by Lynne GrahamTempestuous Reunion by Lynne Graham
My Fave Harlequins
8th out of 528 books — 155 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacqueline
Super angsty. Wonderful read. This book was wonderfully complex. Even though it was a short category read, it felt really full. The plot was well developed as were the wonderfully complex characters. The story was told totally in the POV of the heroine but you were pretty sure what the hero was feeling all along. I loved how concerned the hero was about the heroine after she became pregnant and seemed so fragile. The heroine was no mealy mouthed wimp either. She was realistically snappish to the ...more
Julz
Leona
Jan 23, 2013 Leona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hqn-presents
One of my all time favorites by Michelle Reid and one of the first HP's I read last year. I think it was this book that set me off on my HP craze.

The strength of this book rests on the insanity of the story, coupled with the amazing characters. The tension sizzles and both the H/h are absolute equals in this HP angst fest. Our heroine is no shrinking violet and can dish out whatever he throws at her and at times had him running in circles.

So if you like strong heroines, lots of angst, a great s
RLA
May 25, 2012 RLA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This is another one of those talked about 'classic' Harlequin Presents, so I knew I had to read it. And... A Classic it most certainly is!

The angst levels in this book are seriously sky high, I didn't have a clue where Michelle Reid was going to take me next, it kept me reading that's for sure.

Yes, this book is a little, well OK a lot, over dramatic but somehow it works. It keeps you guessing and feeling like you are holding your breath as you turn the page.

The hero acts appallingly a
Kay
Jan 03, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kay by: Leona
Shelves: ebooks
5 Stars ~ Ms. Reid is a master storyteller, creating dynamic heroes and heroines, and compelling plots that keep the reader on edge. In this book, our heroine is constantly under threat; threat of father's obsessions, threat of her new husband's intense hatred, and threat of her own self-loathing. She is a desperate woman who does the unthinkable, she allows her father to sell her body to a man who is also desperate. It's blackmail at it's most ruthless. Alex wants the property Mia's father owns ...more
MBR
4 Star Harlequin Contemporary Romance!

Its being so long since I have been able to put up a review that I am afraid I may have forgotten how to write one. Stuff at work is seriously cutting into my reading time which in turn brings down my reviewing time - which is all a vicious cycle I tell you. Since I have been so very busy, I decided to go with a lighter read, a Harlequin romance that has been in my to-be-read pile for quite sometime now and see whether I would be able to finish it up befor
Jasbell76
This is one of my less favorite book by MR. It's so sad, I don't want to be sad when I finish to read a HPs. The MAIN thing didn't like me was that hate/love realitonship between the hero and the heroine. I can't explain it... I felt their marriage was bitter than romantic :/ I hate it!
There was a time when I pushed myself to read SAD romance stories to made me stronger and be able to read kind of stories like this. However, I am VERY, VERY romantic and I will be romantic until the END of my li
Penny Watson
Not my favorite. Will probably not re-read.

Almost DNFed. Had a HUGE secret and misunderstandings. All the love scenes were based on anger, lies, secrets, so no real loving and emotional connection between them.

The end picked up, and the hero turned into a good guy after being an incredible asshole at the beginning.

This was a pretty frustrating read for me.
Janie
Rating: 1 star.

The premise of the plot is just like Unwanted Wife, however I was sorely disappointed. I should've done my research before pursuing this book because I don't like surprises. Dropped and unfinished.
Becky
My favorite HP of all time. And I read a lot of them...this one hit the emotions, not a light read but very passionate. Hero redeems himself.
Claire
Oct 23, 2011 Claire rated it did not like it
Maybe I’m being ornery or maybe I’m menopausal but there were just some things that bugged me about this book.

1. the odd almost unnatural mix of naivete and carnality about her. At day, she would be cool, untouched and detached, then at night, she would be writhing in lust for him. She’d protest that she wasn’t a whore but they both knew that each time he took her to bed for the expressed goal of impregnating her with an heir, she was essentially servicing him. Really! Her only difference from a
KatieV
I read this because the premise is one of my favorite guilty pleasures (arranged marriage) and because it was mentioned in a thread about 'wtf, train wreck, OTT HPs'. It was an enjoyable read, but wasn't what I would consider a train wreck (at least not in HP land, which is a TOTALLY separate world with another set of rules and possibly different laws of physics).

The H was your typical arrogant Greek tycoon, but he was far from being the most OTT. In fact, he turns out to be a pretty decent guy
Marajean
Apr 28, 2011 Marajean rated it really liked it
Caro
Tuve sentimientos desencontrados con esa novelita. Me gustó, sí, sí, pero no. La protagonista no terminó de cerrarme y si el argumento no hubiera tenido cosas como (view spoiler), se encontraría entre mis novelas favoritas.
El prota es un fuego, me encantó que fuera tan alfa y tan cabrón,
Cady Lorenzana
Feb 12, 2015 Cady Lorenzana rated it it was amazing
Thank heavens, Alex changed. He was so disgusting in the first few chapters. But I love how he completely changed!

I love the twist in the story, too. And how Mia transformed from being a doormat because of her so much love for Suzanna.

An emotional read. I think Michelle Reid writes the best heroes.
Tishke
Jan 10, 2013 Tishke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I give the book a 5 star and the cover a 1 star.

I loved the angst and the tension in this book. There are surprises at every twist and turn. This is an emotionally charged book and Mia's loneliness is heartbreaking. It is brilliantly written.
Miss Rail
Very very "Harlequin".
Dramatically achieved multiple super-orgasms (that made me laugh) aside...
I was entertained.
Rae T
Aug 11, 2013 Rae T rated it did not like it
I don't usually read classic harlequins (ones that go back in the 90's lol) but decided to give this one a try as it is popular and many seemed to have enjoyed it. I can't believe I actually read the whole book... I kept reading thinking it was going to get better at some point...

I did not feel any LOVE between the hero and the heroine. Sure, they had great sex but that was about it. They barely spent time with each other before the whole 'sister' thing happened and there was no build up in the
Nabila Anjum
Mar 08, 2016 Nabila Anjum rated it liked it
Mills N Boons aren't known for their stories or wording. They are known for their improvises of the one lingering theme in romance, as old as dirt, as worn out as rain. But that is not the reason I'm giving it a three stars. See, I read Mills N Boons not for the story, but for the slight variation of the old formula, and the grovelling. I love to see the protagonists beg and plead and grovel, and a well balanced grovelling means 4 stars. But this book stars an uptight overly cynical female who r ...more
kholiette
I read all Michelle Reid Books except this one. I kept it aside and when I had no more Michelle Reid books to read I decided to venture and read it anyway. The reason why I did not read it before even though I purchased it, was because it was totally out of my comfort zone. I like the classic romance, with Alpha Hero and Virgin, or not virgin but not very experienced Heroine, but this one had (spoiler)......... a heroine with a baby. But since Michelle Reid was the author I decided to give it a ...more
Crystal
Apr 07, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
This book lets you stop and think what would you do and trade to get what you wanted most in the world.

Mia Frazier will do what she can to get out of her father's control. If that means selling herself to a man her dad chooses to save the girl everything thinks is her sister. She needs to get married to Alex and get pregnant with a male to get the daughter she loves.

Alexander Doumas has wanted Mia from the first time that he see's her. He is a Greek millionaire used to getting what he wants. He
Pavitra Dwibhashyam
May 22, 2013 Pavitra Dwibhashyam rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.Actually one of the only michelle reid books i have read numerous times.the sexual tension between them was palpable & the hotness was just too much.

I wanted to understand though at which point does alex start caring for mia..what about mia intrigues him?whhen does he start falling for her?i was thristing for some alex perspective on their relationship..could she probably do a sequel for this book? :P I would love it.
Brenda (b)
I needed a bit of romance novel instant gratification, so I turned to Harlequin. This was a typical Harlequin storyline -- coerced marriage of two virtual strangers for the purpose of providing the manipulator with a grandson, a wealthy Greek alpha male, lots of mistrust, a hidden motive and finally a HEA. I thought there could have been a bit more elaboration about how their feeling changed toward each other.
Mudpie
Mar 11, 2015 Mudpie rated it really liked it
4* because I was hooked from the first word! Read the book in one sitting three hours...great and angsty story. But I wish he didn't have to break his promise to his father. ..
Mattie
Jun 11, 2015 Mattie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hqromance
The tension in the book is so great from beginning to end with Mia desperate need to solidify a marriage between her and Alex to ensure she get her daughter back in which everyone thinks is her sister. She is willing to go along with every evil request of her father. The circumstances of Mia’s life both before and after her marriage was heartbreaking. Adding to her sorrow is her intense desire for Alex’s lovemaking , a man who despises her because he feels trapped in a loveless marriage to ensur ...more
Cece Cons
Aug 14, 2014 Cece Cons rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Mia and Alex story was damn right good, I love how they when from being frozen to lava hot and I love the connection with Suzanna it made my heart melt and I wanted to break every bone in her father's body for the things he put them girls thorough. Highly recommended great read.
S.D. Mary
Feb 08, 2014 S.D. Mary rated it really liked it
Did i tell you i'm a sucker for Harlequin stories? :))
Well, I am. And I like Michelle Reid's stories the most.

So, if you ever feel like reading something sweet with a hint of revenge and an interesting plot, give this one a chance.

sbf20112011
Sep 26, 2011 sbf20112011 rated it it was amazing
Super angsty, compelling read. I agree with another reviewer that there's something about the ending that wasn't as satisfactory as I wanted it to be, maybe it just sort of loses steam or something. But overall, a great Reid book.
Mel
Took away 1 star because the editing was horrible! But, I loved the book otherwise.
Nena Basileiadou
Mar 30, 2014 Nena Basileiadou rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I read it after all the great reviews online and, of course it was good, no doubt, how could it not be? However I can't say it begins exactly the way I like. The impression I was left after a long time of reading it, was that it looked a bit harsh to go to bed with someone so fast without any connection or emotion. Thankfully the feelings and the great love confession later on the story were so strong, that somehow it explains the beginning and you end up liking the story.
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • Bond of Hatred
  • Sale Or Return Bride
  • Separate Lives
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • The Scorsolini Marriage Bargain (Royal Brides, #5; Scorsolini Princes, #3)
  • Comparative Strangers
  • Saved from Sin
  • Smoke in the Wind (Harlequin Presents, #1104)
  • Uncertain Destiny
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • A Lingering Melody
  • Shattered Trust
  • The Loving Trap
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some
More about Michelle Reid...