Start by marking “The Price of a Bride” as Want to Read:
The Price of a Bride

The Price of a Bride

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  739 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Forced to marry!

When Mia Frazier agreed to her father's demand to marry Greek millionaire Alexander Doumas, she knew both men stood to gain from the deal--Alex would win back his family's island, and Mia's father would get the grandson and heir he so desperately longed for. But what about Mia?

She had her own reason for agreeing to be Alex's wife--which was not financial g
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #2033, 187 pages
Published June 1999 by Harlequin Books (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of a Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of a Bride

Bond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamThe Spanish Groom by Lynne GrahamThe Ultimate Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Price of a Bride by Michelle ReidSale Or Return Bride by Sarah Morgan
Best Harlequin Presents Novels
4th out of 328 books — 300 voters
The Spanish Groom by Lynne GrahamBond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamGold Ring of Betrayal by Michelle ReidTrophy Husband by Lynne GrahamTempestuous Reunion by Lynne Graham
My Fave Harlequins
7th out of 410 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Julz
Jacqueline
Super angsty. Wonderful read. This book was wonderfully complex. Even though it was a short category read, it felt really full. The plot was well developed as were the wonderfully complex characters. The story was told totally in the POV of the heroine but you were pretty sure what the hero was feeling all along. I loved how concerned the hero was about the heroine after she became pregnant and seemed so fragile. The heroine was no mealy mouthed wimp either. She was realistically snappish to the ...more
RLA
4.5 stars.

This is another one of those talked about 'classic' Harlequin Presents, so I knew I had to read it. And... A Classic it most certainly is!

The angst levels in this book are seriously sky high, I didn't have a clue where Michelle Reid was going to take me next, it kept me reading that's for sure.

Yes, this book is a little, well OK a lot, over dramatic but somehow it works. It keeps you guessing and feeling like you are holding your breath as you turn the page.

The hero acts appallingly a
Maldivianbookreviewer
4 Star Harlequin Contemporary Romance!

Its being so long since I have been able to put up a review that I am afraid I may have forgotten how to write one. Stuff at work is seriously cutting into my reading time which in turn brings down my reviewing time - which is all a vicious cycle I tell you. Since I have been so very busy, I decided to go with a lighter read, a Harlequin romance that has been in my to-be-read pile for quite sometime now and see whether I would be able to finish it up befor
Leona
One of my all time favorites by Michelle Reid and one of the first HP's I read last year. I think it was this book that set me off on my HP craze.

The strength of this book rests on the insanity of the story, coupled with the amazing characters. The tension sizzles and both the H/h are absolute equals in this HP angst fest. Our heroine is no shrinking violet and can dish out whatever he throws at her and at times had him running in circles.

So if you like strong heroines, lots of angst, a great s
Kay
Jan 03, 2014 Kay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kay by: Leona
Shelves: ebooks
5 Stars ~ Ms. Reid is a master storyteller, creating dynamic heroes and heroines, and compelling plots that keep the reader on edge. In this book, our heroine is constantly under threat; threat of father's obsessions, threat of her new husband's intense hatred, and threat of her own self-loathing. She is a desperate woman who does the unthinkable, she allows her father to sell her body to a man who is also desperate. It's blackmail at it's most ruthless. Alex wants the property Mia's father owns ...more
Claire
Maybe I’m being ornery or maybe I’m menopausal but there were just some things that bugged me about this book.

1. the odd almost unnatural mix of naivete and carnality about her. At day, she would be cool, untouched and detached, then at night, she would be writhing in lust for him. She’d protest that she wasn’t a whore but they both knew that each time he took her to bed for the expressed goal of impregnating her with an heir, she was essentially servicing him. Really! Her only difference from a
Becky
My favorite HP of all time. And I read a lot of them...this one hit the emotions, not a light read but very passionate. Hero redeems himself.
KatieV
I read this because the premise is one of my favorite guilty pleasures (arranged marriage) and because it was mentioned in a thread about 'wtf, train wreck, OTT HPs'. It was an enjoyable read, but wasn't what I would consider a train wreck (at least not in HP land, which is a TOTALLY separate world with another set of rules and possibly different laws of physics).

The H was your typical arrogant Greek tycoon, but he was far from being the most OTT. In fact, he turns out to be a pretty decent guy
Marajean
Tishke
I give the book a 5 star and the cover a 1 star.

I loved the angst and the tension in this book. There are surprises at every twist and turn. This is an emotionally charged book and Mia's loneliness is heartbreaking. It is brilliantly written.
Rae T
I don't usually read classic harlequins (ones that go back in the 90's lol) but decided to give this one a try as it is popular and many seemed to have enjoyed it. I can't believe I actually read the whole book... I kept reading thinking it was going to get better at some point...

I did not feel any LOVE between the hero and the heroine. Sure, they had great sex but that was about it. They barely spent time with each other before the whole 'sister' thing happened and there was no build up in the
Crystal
This book lets you stop and think what would you do and trade to get what you wanted most in the world.

Mia Frazier will do what she can to get out of her father's control. If that means selling herself to a man her dad chooses to save the girl everything thinks is her sister. She needs to get married to Alex and get pregnant with a male to get the daughter she loves.

Alexander Doumas has wanted Mia from the first time that he see's her. He is a Greek millionaire used to getting what he wants. He
Pavitra Dwibhashyam
Loved this book.Actually one of the only michelle reid books i have read numerous times.the sexual tension between them was palpable & the hotness was just too much.

I wanted to understand though at which point does alex start caring for mia..what about mia intrigues him?whhen does he start falling for her?i was thristing for some alex perspective on their relationship..could she probably do a sequel for this book? :P I would love it.
Brenda (b)
I needed a bit of romance novel instant gratification, so I turned to Harlequin. This was a typical Harlequin storyline -- coerced marriage of two virtual strangers for the purpose of providing the manipulator with a grandson, a wealthy Greek alpha male, lots of mistrust, a hidden motive and finally a HEA. I thought there could have been a bit more elaboration about how their feeling changed toward each other.
S.D. Mary
Did i tell you i'm a sucker for Harlequin stories? :))
Well, I am. And I like Michelle Reid's stories the most.

So, if you ever feel like reading something sweet with a hint of revenge and an interesting plot, give this one a chance.

sbf20112011
Super angsty, compelling read. I agree with another reviewer that there's something about the ending that wasn't as satisfactory as I wanted it to be, maybe it just sort of loses steam or something. But overall, a great Reid book.
Nena Basileiadou
I read it after all the great reviews online and, of course it was good, no doubt, how could it not be? However I can't say it begins exactly the way I like. The impression I was left after a long time of reading it, was that it looked a bit harsh to go to bed with someone so fast without any connection or emotion. Thankfully the feelings and the great love confession later on the story were so strong, that somehow it explains the beginning and you end up liking the story.
RebeccaL
Apr 13, 2013 RebeccaL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: hp
Cecilia
In some respects this angsty story of suspicions overcome was satisfying, but the incredibly quick turnaround from intense hostility to equally intense efforts to be protective left my head spinning. The hero goes from (to be blunt) abusive measures to isolate the heroine to wanting nothing but her happiness so fast that it never is truly clear what it is that he sees in her. She, according to him, drifts around like she isn't truly there. Which is fair enough, but in that case, besides her look ...more
Veronica
Enjoyable Book

Sometimes nothing hits the spot like a good romance and a Harlequin usually comes through. This one does, for sure, with a gorgeous male lead, a beautiful woman, a sweet little girl and a baby. With an evil parent hanging around, you have the makings of a good book. This one certainly helped pass the time.
Cece Cons
I really enjoyed this book. Mia and Alex story was damn right good, I love how they when from being frozen to lava hot and I love the connection with Suzanna it made my heart melt and I wanted to break every bone in her father's body for the things he put them girls thorough. Highly recommended great read.
Carmen
This story was too angsty for me and I like a hero to be more up front and honest about his feelings. This book read like a game of poker with cards played very close to the chest until almost the very last page.

She had h
Ria
this is by far the best of Michelle Reid that i've read. its full of angst that couldn't put the book down.

the fact that there's a hidden (view spoiler) in the picture would automatically turn me off but i so love the the flow of the story that it didn't even matter--in fact it added the greatest twist on the plot that made it even better.

i don't know, you can call me masochistic but i love it when the heroin swallows with self pity and wouldn't care a whit if she were la
Tia
ANGST!! The heroine has serious trust issues but after having a father like she did, who could blame her. The hero was a pretty decent man, above board IMO.
Mel
Took away 1 star because the editing was horrible! But, I loved the book otherwise.
Yanini
too short. huhuhu. i want more
Bukola
Best Michelle Reid book YET!!!!! LOVED IT!!

A handsome Greek tycoon gets the opportunity to buy back his familys ancestral island if he agrees to pay THE PRICE OF A BRIDE for the beautiful daughter of the current owner. Although she has her own reasons for agreeing to
the bargain, she is unprepared for the love she begins to feel for her new husband. Michelle Reid fans will not be disappointed as she spins a sexy tale filled with dynamic characters, passionate scenes and an emotionally intense sto
Brittany Melson
Found this older book at a used bookstore, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I ended up really enjoying it, even though it had the feel of a vintage Harlequin story from the seventies. The hero was definitely an over-the-top alpha, but the affection the heroine has for her secret daughter is genuinely heartwarming (and the hero's actions to help the heroine and her daughter almost made me cry.) It ended up being a very sweet story, even though it didn't seem that way at the beginning. I highly r ...more
Kavitha
This is a good read! :)
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • The Spanish Groom
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • Sale Or Return Bride
  • Comparative Strangers
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2; Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • Shattered Trust
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Lingering Melody
  • Dark Master
  • Mistress by Contract
  • Smoke in the Wind (Harlequin Presents, #1104)
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some
More about Michelle Reid...
Gold Ring of Betrayal The Ultimate Betrayal Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1) Marchese's Forgotten Bride Marriage on the Rebound