Start by marking “The 120 Days of Simon” as Want to Read:
The 120 Days of Simon

The 120 Days of Simon

2.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

The 120 Days of Simon began in the spring of 2006, when Swedish cartoonist/rapper Simon Gardenfors left his home to spend four months on the road. The rules were simple: During the 120 days he wasn't allowed to return to his home, or to spend more than two nights at the same place. The result was a wild trip through Sweden as Simon slept on strangers' couches, ate mescalin

Published May 11th 2010 by Top Shelf Productions (first published April 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The 120 Days of Simon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 120 Days of Simon

Denisse
Jan 25, 2014 Denisse rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Lo leí solo porque fue publicado en EEUU por Top Shelf, una de mis editoriales favoritas. El estilo del dibujo me pareció simpático, así que me dije "¿Por qué no?". A continuación voy a responder porqué no hay que leer este libro:

Primero que todo, me pareció la raja la propuesta de la historia: el tipo decide pasar 120 días fuera de su casa, recorriendo su país, viviendo de la bondad de los extraños. Me imaginé un libro con historias de ruta, en el que, como lectora, iba a terminar conociendo Su
Molly
Aug 14, 2010 Molly rated it did not like it
O.M.G. This book was awful. Premise? Sorta interesting- guy decides to travel around Sweden, staying with anyone who volunteers to put him up and feed him. Staying with no one for more than two days. Comic book. Except... it's all an elaborate attempt to get laid, do drugs, and party. Which he does. And it's gross- sleeping around without protection, telling people he'll leave things out of the book and then putting it in anyway, and making a big deal about things that are lame. He talks at leng ...more
Abby
Jun 20, 2010 Abby rated it liked it
In 2009, Swedish comics artist/rapper (yep, Sweden does have a hiphop scene, believe it or not) Gardenfors decided to undertake a radical experiment in modern living -- for 4 months he would travel around Sweden, relying on other people to provide him with food and shelter. The rules were: he could not stay in one place for more than 2 consecutive nights and he couldn't return to his apartment until the 120 days were up.

As the Sade reference implies, Gardenfors engaged in some serious debaucher
Dave Riley
Dec 01, 2013 Dave Riley rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The drawing style may indeed be 'cute' and delightfully idiosyncratic but the storyline is really an exercise in narcissism. What a indulgent so and so this Simon Gärdenfors is!

Don't invite him home to met mother.

It's a poor reflection of the many core habits of autobio comic making that wallowing in ego and one's angst is passed off as an excuse for a story. Hang on, I'll rephrase that: wallowing in MALE ego and one's MAN's angst is passed off as an excuse for a story.

If you know the genre th
Susan Rose
Mar 06, 2014 Susan Rose rated it did not like it
This is a memoir graphic novel by Simon Gardenfors a rapper/comics creator who decides he is going to spend 120 days travelling around Sweden on the kindness of strangers, in a debaucherous stupor. The rules being he can't spend more than 2 nights with them same people.

So the premise of this book sounded really interesting but I ended up really disliking it.

To be honest I was expecting this book in its writing and artwork to be more exciting than it was. This is the best of the anecdotes from
Matt Hartzell
Oct 19, 2014 Matt Hartzell rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: ogn-indie
120 Days of Simon is the first miss from Top Shelf, for me. I've enjoyed the selections I've been reading recently, but I'm having a hard time finding a lot to like about this one.

The premise of this autobiographical work appears intriguing at first glance. The book details the adventures of the author after he decides to take a four-month trip around Sweden, following two rules: he can't go back to his apartment, and he can't stay in one place more than two nights. For four months, Simon comple
Artur Coelho
Apr 01, 2012 Artur Coelho rated it it was ok
Uma banda desenhada autobiográfica que recolhe as impressões de uma experiência intrigante: abandonar a casa durante cento e vinte dias, dormindo em casa de pessoas que se ofereceram para albergar o autor. Podia ser um interessante estudo, álbum de roadtrip onde a vastidão da individualidade humana ficasse patente nos retratos feitos pelo autor, mas não. Ficamo-nos por experiências to tipo fumei uns charros, comi umas garinas, bebi umas cervejas. O grafismo é interessante, fortemente estilizado ...more
James Payne
It's got everything; European racism, European drugs, European rappers, European sex with teenagers, and worldwide proof that cartoonists really are as shitty as they seem. Or we're supposed to think that; I don't really think it's that bad or anything - what he's doing, etc - touring produces that kind of mentality, but the book is too static, and the 8-bit inspired drawing style is so first second-Bush-term. Still, it is fun to read, and Gardenfors manages to create enough drama in the storyli ...more
Adam Duclos
Feb 19, 2016 Adam Duclos rated it really liked it
Pretty cool book! An interesting snapshot of a crazy several month trip, bumming around the country (of Sweden) and having adventures.
Vikjö
Nov 15, 2015 Vikjö rated it it was ok
Meh.
Emilia P
Sep 27, 2010 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I liked the style -- though I couldn't stop thinking about Ikea. This time, at least, that was good.

It seemed to sell itself as a lot wackier than it was. Being a twentysomething punk rock dude who does drugs and gets it on with lots of chicks cuz he can and not really having any revelations -- not that wacky, kind of monotonous and vaguely unpleasant. Was that... the point? I don't think so, I think you were supposed to enjoy the shenanigans. To that I say meh Simon, meh Sweden, meh meh meh.
Cia Rocco
Jul 08, 2011 Cia Rocco rated it it was ok
I never read descriptions of books before I borrow them from the library so I had never heard of Simon Gardenfors or his little expedition from the internet beforehand.

The illustrations are cute enough- it almost has a scott pilgrim feel- but at times they are a little too simplistic (and make for a super thick, sort of awkward paperback). The book had an interesting premise but I found the author to be so arrogant that it really detracted from my enjoyment of his interesting journey.
Joe
May 22, 2011 Joe rated it it was ok
Two things save this book from being unreadable: 1) the art style, 2) the whole "Swedish rap" thing.

It's still pretty bad, though.

It's hard for young men to understand this, I know, but "getting drunk and laid" stories are boring to pretty much everyone except for the person getting drunk and laid. Just because this book has a third party publisher doesn't mean it's anything more than a vanity project.
MariNaomi
Jul 12, 2013 MariNaomi rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, memoir
At one point during a one-night stand, he puts on a condom, loses his stiffy, and then discards it thinking, "Fuck it. I always wanted a chocolate brown baby anyway." The protagonist comes across as an arrogant, disturbingly self-involved megalomaniac, but apparently I find that sort of thing interesting to read about. (Also, I found his cartooning choices interesting.) Three-and-a-half stars.
Robin
Jun 27, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it
An entertaining and quick read by a Swede documenting his romp around the country for 120 days. Full of sex, drugs and humor. The book's not for the easily offended, though also not as sketchy as some reviews make it out to be (imo). Definitely recommended to fans of Scott Pilgrim.
Tom
Apr 02, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it
A charming and funny road trip around Sweden. A sort of ode to the end of late adolescence (i.e., age 29), as the narrator (also a Swedish singer) drugs and fucks his way from host to host--some old friends, some new acquaintances--over the course of four physically and emotionally taxing months.
Amanda
Oct 07, 2010 Amanda rated it did not like it
Eh, aside from the idea of spending each night in a different place, this reminded me too much of Mats Jonsson's Hey Princess, but not as interesting and the art too primitive. I suppose I know understand why the guy from Top Shelf gave both titles to me for free at ALA.
Will
Feb 03, 2011 Will rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Even though the first-person protaganist basically announces that yes, he is a douche and a mooch, some of it was hard to get past. But I love the drawing style. Each person had a totally different, slightly exagerated face that expressed just who they were.
Hannah
Jun 09, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
I really couldnt get into it. The book seems to be about sex, drugs, smoking, and shirking a relationship. I liked the art style, but all together it became a VERY cumbersome paperback. It was hard to get through, but there were a few funny moments.
Caleb
Mar 28, 2010 Caleb rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The best comic book stunt auto-bio book by a Swedish rapper/cartoonist I've ever read! Short review here:
Jacobi
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it liked it
Shelves: trades-read
Simon is a total asshole, but the simplistic art, and matter of fact way he chronicled these days of his life were oddly effective.
Samra
Jul 11, 2013 Samra rated it really liked it
detailed story about a guy on a 120-day journey. he gets laid, goes to paries and does a lot of drugs and booze. NOT for kids at all.
Sean
Sep 29, 2013 Sean rated it really liked it
It's the type of thing I oughta by all rights hate but instead end up unable to stop reading.
Sonia
Jun 08, 2010 Sonia rated it really liked it
Another Swedish Top Shelf from Jason. I liked it, even though I would probably not like Simon.
Sara
May 29, 2010 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-gn, nonfic
Wasn't in love with this, but it certainly had its moments.
Dana Jerman
Jun 16, 2011 Dana Jerman rated it liked it
This kid is why herpes is the new capital of Sweden.
Andrew
Oct 18, 2011 Andrew rated it it was ok
Pretty dodgy but the illustration style was cool.
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was ok
May 24, 2016
All Graphic
All Graphic marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Meron Daniel
Meron Daniel rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
  • Undeleted Scenes
  • Passionate Journey
  • Bardín the Superrealist
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 5: The Gardens of Aedena (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #5)
  • Girls With Slingshots, Vol. 3
  • Disappearance Diary
  • Garden
  • The Little Man: Short Strips, 1980-1995
  • Kitaro
  • Fair Weather
  • Okko: The Cycle of Water (Okko, #1)
  • Futurama-O-Rama (Futurama Comics trade paperback #1)
  • Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)
  • Dungeon Quest, Vol. 1
  • Action Philosophers!: the lives and thoughts of history's A-list brain trust
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • Hey Princess
  • Petty Theft
Simon Gärdenfors is a Swedish cartoonist, rapper, television presenter, and radio host.

His comics are drawn in a round icon-like cartoony style, although their content is often realistic or autobiographical.

Alongside his childhood friend Calle Thörn, he is also a member of the underground hip-hop duo "Las Palmas" that received a lot of airtime on Swedish radio in the fall of 2004, primarily with t
More about Simon Gärdenfors...