Start by marking “A Stone of the Heart” as Want to Read:
A Stone of the Heart

A Stone of the Heart (Inspector Matt Minogue #1)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When the body of Jarlath Walsh is discovered on the grounds of Dublin's Trinity College with the head beaten in, Sergeant Matt Minogue suspects that it wasn't a random killing. Walsh was an idealist, but someone wants the detective to believe the young man was a drug-pusher. In a fateful clash near the Northern Ireland border, Inspector Minogue discovers the truth.
Published October 10th 2001 by Steerforth (first published August 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Stone of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stone of the Heart

Sarah Archer-beck
Jun 11, 2008 Sarah Archer-beck rated it liked it
I guess I'm old fashioned or pedestrian in my taste for mysteries, but I like all of the loose ends to get tied up by the time the book is over. In this book, which takes place in Dublin and deals with "the troubles" in Northern Ireland, the underlying murder is never really solved and there is some question about whether "justice" has been done. It is like a real life mystery/crime in that sense, I suppose. Maybe this book would have more resonance if I had read the previous books in the series ...more
Rob Kitchin
May 12, 2012 Rob Kitchin rated it really liked it
A Stone of the Heart is the first book in the Matt Minogue series. It’s a credit to Brady that it feels mid-series. Minogue is a well developed character that has depth and resonance. Brady provides sufficient back story and family context without dwelling on it and slowing the story. The social interaction between characters is keenly observed and the dialogue is spot on, capturing the colloquialisms and banter of Irish brogue. Brady does an excellent job of capturing the political atmosphere i ...more
Sheila
Apr 22, 2014 Sheila rated it really liked it
I love Brady's books and I'm not always sure why. Sometimes I don't even know what's happening. It's like hanging out with a wonderful friend who confuses you sometimes, but leaves you feeling as if you've experienced something beyond your usual ken. Something worthwhile. This book was no exception - I went right from finishing it to dipping into William Trevor's short stories - another genius.

Nicole
Apr 19, 2014 Nicole rated it did not like it
Finally got so bored that I skipped to the last couple of chapters to finish it up.
Bev
Mar 11, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
I decided to go back to the beginning and read all the Matt Minogue books in sequence -- this was a powerful opening novel in the series, published in 1988 and set in the days of the IRA and The Troubles in Dublin, with connections to Northern Ireland. It has some very edge-of-your-seat chapters as bullets fly and evil people attempt to evade justice...couldn't put it down.

Martha Johnson
Mar 19, 2013 Martha Johnson rated it really liked it
I have been obsessed with Irish mysteries recently and this is one of them. Our Irish investigator is chasing down a murder and - what a surprise - runs into the IRA. It's not as formulaic as I am making it sound. The characters are well drawn. I will read more Brady.
Patsy
Apr 17, 2013 Patsy rated it really liked it
The first Matt Minogue, or so I read. He's John Brady's intuitive quirky Dublin detective. I am absolutely delighted by dialogue and insights, a non-sentimental non-alcoholic Irishman, and sure we knew one existed.
Leslie
Jan 08, 2010 Leslie rated it liked it
what the critics called "a literary mystery" because it's well written and good. I like Matt Minogue, the main character. I'll probably read more of this series.
Shadoh
Feb 07, 2013 Shadoh rated it really liked it
i love his writing, i know it is not for everyone. slow read;, much descriptions of feelings and weather and geography, (Ireland)
Mary
Sep 01, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-mystery
A good read but 4 months later, I dont remember the storyline so...
summer reading?
Bryn
Bryn marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Valerie Palmer
Valerie Palmer marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Shelly Johnson
Shelly Johnson rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Terry
Terry added it
Jul 01, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Sue Lauzon
Sue Lauzon marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Pino
Pino marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Megali
Megali marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Colin Vollebergh
Colin Vollebergh marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Matthew Haught
Matthew Haught marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Jamil Leblanc
Jamil Leblanc rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

John Brady was born in Dublin, the fictional setting of his acclaimed series of Matt Minogue mystery novels. Brady immigrated to Canada at the age of 20, and has worked as a bank official, RCMP clerical officer and teacher. His seventh Minogue novel, Wonderland, taps into Du
More about John Brady...

Inspector Matt Minogue (10 books)
  • Unholy Ground