The Daily Practice of Painting: Writings 1960-1993

The Daily Practice of Painting: Writings 1960-1993

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Now that we do not have priests and philosophers anymore, artists are the most important people in the world. . . . Art is wretched, cynical, stupid, helpless, confusing."
-- Gerhard Richter Gerhard Richter, born in Dresden in 1932, is one of the foremost painters of his generation. A great deal has been written about the bewildering heterogeneity of his work over the pa...more
Published December 5th 1995 by MIT Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about The Daily Practice of Painting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daily Practice of Painting

Andre
This book's influence far outweighs its actual content. It is foremost a meditative experience. It could be that it just feels good to be reading Gerhard Richter, and that his gravitas rubs off through the book. Whatever the reason, I inexplicably often reach for this book when I'm stuck and, inexplicably, it works.
Nolan
Cool and focused -- Richter's writings over this span of 30 years display a remarkable consistency, one I have a hard time believing anyone actually experiences. His writings on ideology are a great way into the work (though, it's fair to say that his anti-ideological stance exhibits itself through the language of ideology). His explanations of his choices feel very familiar, though I couldn't help but wonder if, based on his criteria -- criteria I feel I can agree with on most occasions -- Rich...more
Stephen
I picked this up after listening to a lecture at the National Museum of Art in D.C. which inspired me to attempt to paint again. Unfortunately, I deployed to Iraq before I was able to read the book, so I read it while there, but all I had were pencils and a notebook. I need to re-read it and pick up the brush again.
Nic
Mar 01, 2008 Nic added it
This is an ongoing read. We share a fair amount of motivations, intentions, POV as artists save the notoriety
Lance
If you are an artist, this is a must.
Tessa
Aug 11, 2007 Tessa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of gerhard richter, painters
Shelves: half-read, art, nonfic
I'm generally a fan of letters & notes, and Richter is definitely funny & paradoxical. Getting this book for the photos alone is worth it. But he does tend to repeat himself, as anyone would in their private philosophizing, so I'm not sure if I'll make it the whole way through.

edit: I didn't make it.
Wayne
The first half of the book is a little tedious - he's younger and combative/defensive. The interviews are mostly repetitious, but then around 1980 things get more interesting...
BAKU
Not a single picture of a painting in this. Just wierd interviews.
Elise
contradicts himself a lot, pretty repetitive
Ben
i love this book. you should too.
Linda
Richter is cocky, but honest.
Angela Rose
Angela Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Aimee
Aimee is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Luciano
Luciano marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
John Real
John Real marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Yusanda
Yusanda marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Zuriñe F gerenabarrena
Zuriñe F gerenabarrena marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Gerhard Richter: Atlas Gerhard Richter: Panorama Gerhard Richter: Writings: 1961-2007 Gerhard Richter: Portraits Gerhard Richter: October 18 1977