Start by marking “Human Punk” as Want to Read:
Human Punk

Human Punk

Qui n'a pas connu l'été 1977 à Slough n'a pas connu la douceur de vivre. C'était l'époque des premières Doc Martens, du punk rock et du reggae, des bastons avec les Teds et des nuits électriques au pub, quand toutes les filles s'appelaient Debbie Harry. Pour Joe, quinze ans, tout s'est terminé une nuit, lorsque Welles et sa bande l'ont jeté dans Grand Union Canal après ...more
Published May 6th 2003 by Editions de l'Olivier (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Human Punk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human Punk

Thevioletmaniac
Apr 15, 2012 Thevioletmaniac rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
Немного о жанре. Эту книгу я начала читать сразу после прочтения классического «Человека, который смеется» Гюго и именно поэтому контраст жанров виден просто уууууух как. Если вы взяли в руки заветную черно-оранжевую книжку не ждите, что там будут пушистые щенки, принцессы и розовые пони, готовьтесь к ненормативной лексике и внезапному сюжету. Поэтому альтернатива для меня самый любимый жанр, черно-оранжевые книжки – самые любимые книжки, да и о чем говорить, если Паланик – мой самый любимый авт ...more
Ardi
Oct 05, 2014 Ardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Fuckin' brilliant. Took me so long to read, but that's because of personal reasons.

Anyway, reading this was great, I've always been an Anglophile, the music most especially and the culture. I could say that half of the slangs used I could properly understand, but the others are just way too Brit for me. Nonetheless, this is such a great read. Very interesting, actually.

I never had any proper introduction to punk. I have listened to The Clash's London Calling and other singles, but not a real p
Aletha
Jun 25, 2009 Aletha rated it really liked it
Good book, the main character has a bit of an existentialist attitude.
Ed Wagemann
Aug 26, 2016 Ed Wagemann marked it as to-read
Shelves: rock
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Chriss
Jul 02, 2009 Chriss rated it it was amazing
One of my absolutely favorite books. I've owned it twice now, as the first copy I borrowed out and never saw it again! A great read, John King's talent shows through. The story spans several years, from a bunch of high school punkers and their eventual growing up and spreading out... and the unfortunately circumstances of their eventual reunion. Very vivid and realistic. Easy to transport yourself in the middle of the story. If I could hug stories, this one I would.
Gerry LaFemina
Strong novel with a very likable protagonist--it captures the fragmentation of memory, the real life struggles of growing up, and the changing landscape of England from the 1970s through the early 2000s. In prose driven by long, musical sentences and a plot filled with complex characters struggling with their relationships with each other and with themselves, Human Punk is a worthwhile read for any body interested in punk or coming of age literature.
Jared Dubinski
Aug 19, 2009 Jared Dubinski rated it really liked it
Shelves: britshit
one of those dialectic stream of conscience brit books. he's an aged punker scarred by a tragedy in his past. bit of philosophy but mostly the driving narrative of a non-halfassed sort of man, a respectable chap, as it were. reads like you've been shot out of a cannon. great fiction and good writing
Gloriagloom
Dec 09, 2011 Gloriagloom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vi ricordate la Banda dei Brocchi di Johnatan Coe? questo è il fratello cattivo. A fine lettura viene voglia di tingersi i capelli di arancione, sniffare un po’ di colla e rubare la pensione alle vecchiette. Invece mi tocca restare a casa a impiastricciarmi di Lasonil contro i reumatismi. Da rubare.
Hanna
Ihan hyvä, mutta ei voi sanoa miksikään tajunnanräjäyttäväksi. Kirjailija haki kenties jotain hengästyttävää jopa kolmen sivun(!!) pituisilla järjettömän pitkillä lauseilla, jotka enemmän uuvuttivat kuin ihastuttivat.
Benedict Reid
Reads like an autobiography. Teenager in the late 70s in a rough part of England. It definitely did not make me wish I'd been there then.
Bhekinjinga
Jan 12, 2016 Bhekinjinga rated it it was amazing
I read this and really felt like a slough resident. King's one of my favourites - for his simplicity.
Chris
Oct 25, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really fun read, probably pretty autobiographical, one of those books good for a long train or plane trip. I'd read some more by John King but he's tough to find in the US.
Niina
Aug 11, 2007 Niina rated it liked it
Shelves: culture
Heavy culture description of the age of punk and hand-touching-politics.
Heavy reading but worth of it.
Although not suitable for everyone.
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
David L May
David L May rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Len Ainsbury
Len Ainsbury rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Bryan
Bryan rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2011
eldiablo1977
eldiablo1977 rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2011
Steve Pyle
Steve Pyle rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Blake
Blake rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2010
Regan
Regan rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
John Lowe
John Lowe rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Apeksha
Apeksha rated it it was ok
May 03, 2012
Tatiana Zlobina
Tatiana Zlobina rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2012
Simon Trevaskis
Simon Trevaskis rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker
  • On The Road With The Ramones
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics
  • Let Fury Have the Hour: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer
  • Awaydays
  • The Story Of "Crass"
  • God Is a Bullet
English author, who has written several novels on the nation's lad culture at home and abroad. His debut work of fiction, The Football Factory, was made into a controversial film, directed by Nick Love and starring Danny Dyer. He now owns and operates London Books, an imprint company reissuing classic novels. He is listed as a supporter of No to EU – Yes to Democracy.
Librarian Note: There is more