Start by marking “The Canterbury Tales, and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Canterbury Tales, and Other Poems

The Canterbury Tales, and Other Poems

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  919 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge. Subjects: English literature; History / General; Literary Criticism / General; Literary Criticism / European / English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh; Poetry / English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh;
Published March 6th 2010 by General Books

To ask other readers questions about The Canterbury Tales, and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canterbury Tales, and Other Poems

Lynn
This is the first time I have read this book and I'm not sure I chose the right edition. The free edition from Amazon is apparently a 19th century translation which combined language from that period and Chaucer's period. I found it was truly a slog and if it wasn't for Wikipedia, I'm not sure I would have understood anything. I get points for trying!
Courtney
Never can go wrong with the classics
Stephen
Mar 25, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
The Canterbury Tales are a true classic. They are a series of stories told by various on a journey. Some scholars now believe that Chaucer did not write them, but I choose to believe that he did. It is one of the best written pieces of classcal writing.
Kristina
Dec 12, 2014 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the long read

It takes a while to read, but it is worth it to skim past all the college level analysis to get back to the meat of the tales. I can't believe it took me this long to read it.
Allison
Jan 27, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read for the 5th time. Never gets old!
Monica
Aug 19, 2014 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read parts of it mostly,
Kelly Egan
I want to say that I loved this, but it was such a long and difficult read. It took me about 6 months of reading and putting it down and picking it back up again to get through. Some of his Canterbury Tales were wonderful and amusing and others, like The Parson's Tale which almost killed me with boredom. I would love to take a class on Chaucer's writing though, because it is very beautiful and I would love to hear what Chaucer experts have to say about his work.
Ricky Kimsey
Apr 09, 2015 Ricky Kimsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Influential Works

The Canterbury Tales is an influential work that is still influencing modern artist. The Disney animated feature Robin Hood is partly based on Raynard the Fox a character from this book.
Deanna Hoard
Dec 02, 2013 Deanna Hoard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a class in Chaucer and the Canterbury Tales. The professor read the Tales in the Middle English they were written in and we had the luxury of putting the stories into context. I had read the translations to modern English in high school and was not impressed, but hearing Chaucer in his own language was sublime and more than worthy of five stars.
Joe Dillenburg
Nov 08, 2011 Joe Dillenburg marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I am listening to an audio version from librivox. The text used is from the Project Gutenburg ebook.
Jared
May 21, 2011 Jared rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a book about a story telling contest, I expected the stories to be better. Didn't love it.
Ben Pouliot
Ben Pouliot marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rosemarie martinez
Rosemarie martinez marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Sheri Van Wert
Sheri Van Wert marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Katie Shuter Rompala
Katie Shuter Rompala marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Rebecca Clark
Rebecca Clark rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Ecatarina Grant
Ecatarina Grant rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
doutzen
doutzen marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Betty
Betty rated it liked it
Tammy Fuhrman
Tammy Fuhrman marked it as to-read
Ericka
Ericka marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Uju
Uju marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Msbookworm
Msbookworm marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Matt Mccarrier
Matt Mccarrier marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
  • Prufrock and Other Observations
  • The Complete Poetical Works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge Vol I and II
  • Ninja Bunny
  • Plays By Anton Chekhov- Second Series
  • Sketches of Young Couples (Dodo Press)
  • Intentions
  • How to be a Genius
  • Myth Ritual and Religion Volume 1
  • Thomas F's siste nedtegnelser til almenheten
  • The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci, Complete
  • The Nemesis Worm
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343 – October 25, 1400?) was an English author, poet, philosopher, bureaucrat, courtier and diplomat. Although he wrote many works, he is best remembered for his unfinished frame narrative The Canterbury Tales. Sometimes called the father of English literature, Chaucer is credited by some scholars as being the first author to demonstrate the artistic legitimacy of the vernacu ...more
More about Geoffrey Chaucer...

“And shame it is, if that a priest take keep, To see a shitten shepherd and clean sheep:” 2 likes
“Upon his arm he bare a gay bracer*, *small shield And by his side a sword and a buckler, And on that other side a gay daggere, Harnessed well, and sharp as point of spear:” 0 likes