Start by marking “Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas, #1)

Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The pirates of the Shattered Isles live and die by on simple oath: By blood, by wind, by water and wave, loyal as one, or a watery grave... With that oath, their lord, Captain Bloodwind, would build a nation of pirates. He doesn't want much, after all... just everything. And what he cannot have, he will destroy. The only man to ever stand against him, the legendary seamage ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Dragon Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Scimitar Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scimitar Moon

B.C.
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I want to start this off by saying this book is 4.5 stars. It is pretty darn close to 5 stars. There is just one piece that keeps it from breaking that barrier. Here is the break down.

Wins

World Building - If you are reading a fantasy story, this has to be a win. If the author does not build a world that sucks you in, they missed the point of reading fantasy. This world is surprisingly grounded despite the fact that it is fantastical. Th
Paulette Jaxton
I feel I must begin this review with a disclaimer, I have never liked pirate stories. I'm afraid of sailboats (long story, ask me sometime), I can't swim better than a dog paddle, and while I grew up along the Chesapeake Bay I have no affinity for the sea whatsoever. So for me to say that I liked Scimitar Moon by Chris Jackson so much is truly remarkable. Of course it helps that his world includes dwarfs, elves and plenty of magic.

The characters are full and richly imbued with a fair share of fl
Sky
By blood, by wind, by water and wave, loyal as one, or a watery grave! I'm certainly now a loyal fan!

I stumbled upon Chris A. Jackson's table at Dragon*Con 2011, where my friend and I stopped to look at the novels arrayed before us. I bought the first three books of this Scimitar Seas series, and my friend bought his Cornerstones trilogy. Believe me, Chris will NOT let you down!

I finished Scimitar moon, and I actually put down the novel laughing and in such a good mood, happy with the entire boo
Stephen Pearl
Cynthia, heir to a shipping family and a sea mage, is orphaned as a child and swears vengeance on the pirate that killed her parents. Through her brilliance she devises a plan that will see her enemy bankrupt and disgraced while restoring her family’s fortunes, but in a world of spies and trickery how can a young woman succeed against the most infamous, murderous pirate ever born.
Rarely a book comes along that reaches past our defences and touches us. For me parts of this book did just that. A
Amber
This is the reason I give obscure fantasy authors a try. This. Sure, doing this you run the risk of encountering some crap storytelling and the kind cliché, formulaic fantasy that gives the awesome genre a bad name, but some manage to capture the innovation, imagination, and magic that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place, and, to me, those books are worth searching for. And it is with great happiness that I report Scimitar Moon is such a novel.

Perhaps my favorite thing about t
Toby
While the seafaring is quite real and captivating, the characters are flat, some are superfluous (seasprite Mouse), the villain is super evil, no gray zones here. There is an half-baked effort to color Bloodwind with some empathy in a one paragraph-back-story, but it flutters and is quickly forgotten.
The surprise is seen from a mile away and the rules governing the mystical differences to our world, which would be the capturing reason to read this book, are very fuzzy, if there exist any, since
Elizabeth
An interesting YA novel about a girl who wants revenge on a pirate for killing her parents, and the pirate who wants to rule the oceans. Contains: magic, sailing, slaves, and fingers which sometimes aren't attached anymore.
Kimberly
May 31, 2010 Kimberly marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is the 2009 ForeWord Fantasy Book of the Year award winner. Might be fun to pick up sometime.
Staci
Staci added it
Feb 28, 2015
Paul Clague
Paul Clague marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Shane
Shane added it
Jan 13, 2015
Leenie
Leenie marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Eero Piilokivi
Eero Piilokivi marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Drew
Drew is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
Magda Kossakowska
Magda Kossakowska marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
John0452
John0452 marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Sorin
Sorin marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Biswajeet Moharana
Biswajeet Moharana marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Neil Wardell
Neil Wardell marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chris A. Jackson fell in love with the sea the first time he set eyes on those majestic waves. As a youth, he spent summers working on his father’s fishing boat in Oregon. Trained as a marine biologist, he was sidetracked by a career in biomedical research, but regained his heart and soul in 2009 when he and his wife Anne left the dock aboard a 45-foot sailboat to cruise the Caribbean and write fu ...more
More about Chris A. Jackson...

The Scimitar Seas (4 books)
  • Scimitar Sun (The Scimitar Seas, #2)
  • Scimitar's Heir (The Scimitar Seas, #3)
  • Scimitar War (The Scimitar Seas, #4)
Weapon of Flesh (Weapon of Flesh, #1) Weapon of Blood (Weapon of Flesh, #2) Weapon of Vengeance (Weapon of Flesh Trilogy, #3) Pirate's Honor (Pathfinder Tales) Scimitar Sun (The Scimitar Seas, #2)