Start by marking “Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas, #1)

Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas #1)

The pirates of the Shattered Isles live and die by on simple oath: By blood, by wind, by water and wave, loyal as one, or a watery grave... With that oath, their lord, Captain Bloodwind, would build a nation of pirates. He doesn't want much, after all... just everything. And what he cannot have, he will destroy. The only man to ever stand against him, the legendary seamage ...more
Published August 22nd 2009 by Dragon Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Scimitar Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scimitar Moon

B.C.
Jul 02, 2012 B.C. rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I want to start this off by saying this book is 4.5 stars. It is pretty darn close to 5 stars. There is just one piece that keeps it from breaking that barrier. Here is the break down.

Wins

World Building - If you are reading a fantasy story, this has to be a win. If the author does not build a world that sucks you in, they missed the point of reading fantasy. This world is surprisingly grounded despite the fact that it is fantastical. Th
Paulette Jaxton
Sep 05, 2010 Paulette Jaxton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I feel I must begin this review with a disclaimer, I have never liked pirate stories. I'm afraid of sailboats (long story, ask me sometime), I can't swim better than a dog paddle, and while I grew up along the Chesapeake Bay I have no affinity for the sea whatsoever. So for me to say that I liked Scimitar Moon by Chris Jackson so much is truly remarkable. Of course it helps that his world includes dwarfs, elves and plenty of magic.

The characters are full and richly imbued with a fair share of fl
Sky
Oct 01, 2011 Sky rated it it was amazing
By blood, by wind, by water and wave, loyal as one, or a watery grave! I'm certainly now a loyal fan!

I stumbled upon Chris A. Jackson's table at Dragon*Con 2011, where my friend and I stopped to look at the novels arrayed before us. I bought the first three books of this Scimitar Seas series, and my friend bought his Cornerstones trilogy. Believe me, Chris will NOT let you down!

I finished Scimitar moon, and I actually put down the novel laughing and in such a good mood, happy with the entire boo
Amber
Mar 11, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
This is the reason I give obscure fantasy authors a try. This. Sure, doing this you run the risk of encountering some crap storytelling and the kind cliché, formulaic fantasy that gives the awesome genre a bad name, but some manage to capture the innovation, imagination, and magic that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place, and, to me, those books are worth searching for. And it is with great happiness that I report Scimitar Moon is such a novel.

Perhaps my favorite thing about t
Stephen Pearl
Aug 23, 2011 Stephen Pearl rated it it was amazing
Cynthia, heir to a shipping family and a sea mage, is orphaned as a child and swears vengeance on the pirate that killed her parents. Through her brilliance she devises a plan that will see her enemy bankrupt and disgraced while restoring her family’s fortunes, but in a world of spies and trickery how can a young woman succeed against the most infamous, murderous pirate ever born.
Rarely a book comes along that reaches past our defences and touches us. For me parts of this book did just that. A
Toby
Jul 29, 2013 Toby rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, own, ebook
While the seafaring is quite real and captivating, the characters are flat, some are superfluous (seasprite Mouse), the villain is super evil, no gray zones here. There is an half-baked effort to color Bloodwind with some empathy in a one paragraph-back-story, but it flutters and is quickly forgotten.
The surprise is seen from a mile away and the rules governing the mystical differences to our world, which would be the capturing reason to read this book, are very fuzzy, if there exist any, since
Stacey Reamer
Mar 25, 2015 Stacey Reamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good start to the series

I enjoyed this book thoroughly and I look forward to the next in the series. My only complaint is that I know nothing about sailing, so I found myself having to look up a lot of the terminology used in the book. It is clear that the author is an experienced seaman. That being said, I was still able to enjoy the book despite my lack of knowledge.
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
An interesting YA novel about a girl who wants revenge on a pirate for killing her parents, and the pirate who wants to rule the oceans. Contains: magic, sailing, slaves, and fingers which sometimes aren't attached anymore.
Kimberly
May 31, 2010 Kimberly marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is the 2009 ForeWord Fantasy Book of the Year award winner. Might be fun to pick up sometime.
Ståle Nordlie
Ståle Nordlie rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Mark Sullivan
Mark Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Robert Bogusch
Robert Bogusch rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2013
Alya
Alya rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2011
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Sydney
Sydney rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Kastro
Kastro rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Jeffdes
Jeffdes rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
Timothy Bare
Timothy Bare rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Garet
Garet rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Gail Martin
Gail Martin rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Anne L.
Anne L. rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
Ontheborderline
Ontheborderline rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Susi
Susi rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
William Moeykens
William Moeykens rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Erica Klonkowski
Erica Klonkowski rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2013
Brie
Brie rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
From the sea to the stars, Chris A. Jackson’s stories take you to the far reaches of the imagination. Raised on the back deck of a fishing boat and trained as a marine biologist, he became sidetracked by a career in biomedical research, but regained his heart and soul in 2009 when he and his wife Anne left the dock aboard the 45-foot sailboat Mr Mac to cruise the Caribbean and write fulltime.
With
More about Chris A. Jackson...

The Scimitar Seas (4 books)
  • Scimitar Sun (The Scimitar Seas, #2)
  • Scimitar's Heir (The Scimitar Seas, #3)
  • Scimitar War (The Scimitar Seas, #4)