Start by marking “Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas, #1)

Scimitar Moon (The Scimitar Seas #1)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The pirates of the Shattered Isles live and die by on simple oath: By blood, by wind, by water and wave, loyal as one, or a watery grave... With that oath, their lord, Captain Bloodwind, would build a nation of pirates. He doesn't want much, after all... just everything. And what he cannot have, he will destroy. The only man to ever stand against him, the legendary seamage...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Dragon Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Scimitar Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scimitar Moon

Brandon
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I want to start this off by saying this book is 4.5 stars. It is pretty darn close to 5 stars. There is just one piece that keeps it from breaking that barrier. Here is the break down.

Wins

World Building - If you are reading a fantasy story, this has to be a win. If the author does not build a world that sucks you in, they missed the point of reading fantasy. This world is surprisingly grounded despite the fact that it is fantastical. Th...more
Paulette Jaxton
I feel I must begin this review with a disclaimer, I have never liked pirate stories. I'm afraid of sailboats (long story, ask me sometime), I can't swim better than a dog paddle, and while I grew up along the Chesapeake Bay I have no affinity for the sea whatsoever. So for me to say that I liked Scimitar Moon by Chris Jackson so much is truly remarkable. Of course it helps that his world includes dwarfs, elves and plenty of magic.

The characters are full and richly imbued with a fair share of fl...more
Sky
By blood, by wind, by water and wave, loyal as one, or a watery grave! I'm certainly now a loyal fan!

I stumbled upon Chris A. Jackson's table at Dragon*Con 2011, where my friend and I stopped to look at the novels arrayed before us. I bought the first three books of this Scimitar Seas series, and my friend bought his Cornerstones trilogy. Believe me, Chris will NOT let you down!

I finished Scimitar moon, and I actually put down the novel laughing and in such a good mood, happy with the entire boo...more
Stephen Pearl
Cynthia, heir to a shipping family and a sea mage, is orphaned as a child and swears vengeance on the pirate that killed her parents. Through her brilliance she devises a plan that will see her enemy bankrupt and disgraced while restoring her family’s fortunes, but in a world of spies and trickery how can a young woman succeed against the most infamous, murderous pirate ever born.
Rarely a book comes along that reaches past our defences and touches us. For me parts of this book did just that. A...more
Amber
This is the reason I give obscure fantasy authors a try. This. Sure, doing this you run the risk of encountering some crap storytelling and the kind cliché, formulaic fantasy that gives the awesome genre a bad name, but some manage to capture the innovation, imagination, and magic that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place, and, to me, those books are worth searching for. And it is with great happiness that I report Scimitar Moon is such a novel.

Perhaps my favorite thing about t...more
Toby
While the seafaring is quite real and captivating, the characters are flat, some are superfluous (seasprite Mouse), the villain is super evil, no gray zones here. There is an half-baked effort to color Bloodwind with some empathy in a one paragraph-back-story, but it flutters and is quickly forgotten.
The surprise is seen from a mile away and the rules governing the mystical differences to our world, which would be the capturing reason to read this book, are very fuzzy, if there exist any, since...more
Elizabeth
An interesting YA novel about a girl who wants revenge on a pirate for killing her parents, and the pirate who wants to rule the oceans. Contains: magic, sailing, slaves, and fingers which sometimes aren't attached anymore.
Kimberly
May 31, 2010 Kimberly marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is the 2009 ForeWord Fantasy Book of the Year award winner. Might be fun to pick up sometime.
Sorin
Sorin marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Biswajeet Moharana
Biswajeet Moharana marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Neil Wardell
Neil Wardell marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rabia
Rabia marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
J.T. Robertson
J.T. Robertson marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Mike Mcgrath
Mike Mcgrath marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Christina Stiles
Christina Stiles marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Matt Hansen
Matt Hansen marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Aryayawe1
Aryayawe1 marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Terri Dawn
Terri Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Daniele Brands
Daniele Brands marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jan Jetmar
Jan Jetmar marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Ingo Siegfried
Ingo Siegfried marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Dust Bunni
Dust Bunni marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chris A. Jackson fell in love with the sea the first time he set eyes on those majestic waves. As a youth, he spent summers working on his father’s fishing boat in Oregon. Trained as a marine biologist, he was sidetracked by a career in biomedical research, but regained his heart and soul in 2009 when he and his wife Anne left the dock aboard a 45-foot sailboat to cruise the Caribbean and write fu...more
More about Chris A. Jackson...
Weapon of Flesh (Weapon of Flesh, #1) Weapon of Blood (Weapon of Flesh, #2) Pirate's Honor (Pathfinder Tales) Weapon of Vengeance (Weapon of Flesh Trilogy, #3) Scimitar Sun (The Scimitar Seas, #2)