Start by marking “Ammunition (Inspector Brant, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ammunition (Inspector Brant, #7)

Ammunition (Inspector Brant #7)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Over the many years that Inspector Brant has been bringing his own patented brand of policing to the streets of southeast London, the brilliant but tough cop has made a few enemies. So when a crazed gunman, hired by persons unknown, pumps a magazine full of bullets into Brant in a local pub, leaving him in grasping at life (but ornery as ever), his colleagues on the squad ...more
Published July 24th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Ammunition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ammunition

Ladiibbug
#7 Inspector Brant Crime Series

Set in London's SE Precinct, this ultra hard-boiled series is bizarre, captivating and unpredictible. I LOVE this author! Readers must be advised to buckle seat belts securely.

Publisher's Weekly's review of Ammunition on amazon's site sums it up best:

"From Publishers Weekly

The seventh Inspector Brant noir from Shamus-winner Bruen (after 2006's Calibre) maintains the feverish pacing that has become Bruen's trademark.

As incorrigible hardcase Brant sits in a London pu
Joan Leicht
Bruen is a master!
Dave Riley
Bruen's even handed commitment to rough noir may seem a bit relentless if it wasn't so often a seemingly true take on the way people -- such as coppers -- go about their lives. Quaint English Bobby stereotyping this aint.Amid the Metropolitan Police Force these characters are in the main ethically challenged as though registered cowboys had gone mad in sync with one another and taken over the town. This is Dodge City in London town fueled by drugs and alcohol -- and that's only the wallopers' su ...more
Brian
Let me not mince words, Ammunition by Ken Bruen is one of the WORST books I've ever read in my life. This is not an exaggeration. At multiple times while I was reading this, I could feel myself getting angry and not because of what was happening, but how poorly it was written. Let's run down my initial laundry list of problems, shall we?

To begin with, there was clearly no editor on this piece of garbage. At least twice (possibly three times), Bruen simply forgets to add punctuation at the end of
Kathy Davie
Seventh in the Inspector Brant crime series revolving around Tom Brant, an English cop, and his co-workers in a London suburb.

My Take
This has got to be the worst installment in this series. It's all downhill. Nash gets done over by the Yank. Falls doesn't care who she hurts or frames. Andrews is only gung ho on theory. And McDonald is for the long drop. Coleman is simply in the wrong place physically and mentally.

I swear Brant must be coated with Teflon...nothing ever sticks to that man. I don't
Herb Hastings
I have to admit that I have fallen in love with the books of Ken Bruen. They are clever, brutal, realistic, and funny as hell. This one is the last, so far, in the London series covering the adventures of Sgt. Brant and his cohorts in the South London Police.They are all flawed in one way or another and live in a world that makes the land of Film Noir seem a happy place.
This one starts with Sgt Brant being shot and the resulting fallout. The police are stymied by the fact that everyone who knows
Tim Niland
The crew from the southeast London division of the Metropolitan police department are back in Bruen's continuing series. When Sargent Brant (the meanest cop in London) is shot and nearly killed, the other officers are baffled. With Brant, the question isn't "Who wants him dead" but "Who *doesn't* want him dead." So while Brant convalesces, problems mount. PC McDonald leads a group of old age pensioners in search of vigilante justice, while the newly promoted Sargent Falls must deal with the rele ...more
Yvonne
Ken Bruen is a great crime fiction writer. I couldn't put this action packed little book down, what with all the violence, drinking, corrupt cops, stress, retaliation and political incorrectness. Very funny dialogue and scenes, in the midst of all the mayhem. This is my 2nd Ken Bruen and I will continue to read through all his books, next is The Guards - can't wait.
Peter Angeli
Brines genius is undeniable.
Matt
What makes this book great is that Bruen doesn't seem all that interested in making his characters appealing at all-- the man at the center of the action, Brant, lacks all scruple, and not in a cool, I'm a rebel kind of way. It's more like he's an unrepentant shitheel and that's who he is. The other characters are flawed and getting more broken by the events of the book, but they are not quite there yet, which is why Brant is the main man and they are not.

Lean, disturbing, and unapologetic. Nice
Tobey
It is rare to find the serial novel that is also well written and interesting. I stumbled across Ken Bruen about a year ago by complete accident and I enjoyed the characters and the writing. I just finished this one today and I was happy with this one as well. In fact I rated this one higher than the last because the characters are growing on me. I now have to finish all of the Inspector Brant novels. Oh well, I can think of worse books to read (in fact I have read them).

Sam Reaves
Like Bill James, Bruen makes you wonder if the police are really the good guys with his wicked portrayals of coppers on the make. In this one, anti-hero Brant gets shot, and his fellow officers have to pretend they're sorry. Brant survives to wreak the usual havoc. Bruen has a great voice, lean, mean and often very funny.
Douglas Castagna
I think the next book, whenever and if ever it comes out should be like Fat Ollies Book, call it Bastard Brant's Book or something of that nature. Before I grew tired of the characters, it appears the series has ceased, at least for now. I am building up his Taylor series and will begin soon.
Ryan
This is the first non-Jack Taylor Bruen novel I've read. I wasn't as excited about this one, though I'd like to read more of the Brant series to see what they're like. Even though I wasn't overly-jazzed about this one, you can't beat Bruen. It's crisp, hip, and downright fun to read.
Richard
This one is a stand alone mystery set in London. Bruen writes the down and dirty mystery in the vein of James Crumley and Charles Willeford with a lot of fooks and shytes thrown in between the scenes of drinking and coke snorting and best of all brilliant dialogue.
Sandi
I really enjoy this series and am sorry to see that this one is the last one published so far. Brant is a one of a kind character and I love the author's writing style.
Ellen
What can I say about Ken Bruen's Tom Brant stories that hasn't already been said? Required reading. A must have for your library. What a ride! Yeah, like that.
Bradley
The Brandt books by Ken Bruen are an Irishman's revenge on the English. Not to be missed. I've got to find the elusive "White Trilogy" of the earliest novels.
Ann O'Connell
One of the best if you like "Noir" crime stories and police sponsored murder.
Rosie
Not only did I dislike this book as a whole- it was full of typing errors!
Kami Bumgardner
Kami Bumgardner marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Kevin Deschenes
Kevin Deschenes marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Gareth
Gareth marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • How the Dead Live
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • The Coldest Mile (Cold, #2)
  • Hard Feelings
  • Damn Near Dead: An Anthology of Geezer Noir
  • The Long-Legged Fly (Lew Griffin, #1)
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • Deadly Beloved (Hard Case Crime #38)
  • Dark Times in the City
  • Blackmailer (Hard Case Crime #32)
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • Shooting Star/Spiderweb (Hard Case Crime #42)
  • Three to Kill
  • California Fire and Life
Ken Bruen, born in Galway in 1951, is the author of The Guards (2001), the highly acclaimed first Jack Taylor novel. He spent twenty-five years as an English teacher in Africa, Japan, S.E. Asia and South America. His novel Her Last Call to Louis Mac Niece (1997) is in production for Pilgrim Pictures, his "White Trilogy" has been bought by Channel 4, and The Guards is to be filmed in Ireland by De ...more
More about Ken Bruen...

Inspector Brant (7 books)
  • A White Arrest (Inspector Brant, #1)
  • Taming The Alien (Inspector Brant, #2)
  • The McDead (Inspector Brant, #3)
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • Vixen (Inspector Brant, #5)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
The Guards (Jack Taylor, #1) The Killing Of The Tinkers (Jack Taylor, #2) The Magdalen Martyrs (Jack Taylor, #3) The Dramatist (Jack Taylor, #4) Priest (Jack Taylor, #5)