Start by marking “Not Enough Indians” as Want to Read:
Not Enough Indians

Not Enough Indians

2.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Meet the residents of Gammage, NY, a town on the verge of declaring bankruptcy, when inspiration strikes. Why not go native, and open a casino? Former "Saturday Night Live" cast member Shearer delivers a brilliantly funny satire of greed, collusion, distrust, and betrayal in the halls of Washington and the casinos of Native America.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Phoenix Audio (first published October 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Not Enough Indians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Enough Indians

H R Koelling
Jul 24, 2007 H R Koelling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Just like the book I read by Chris Elliot, I thought this would be funnier. It was still a decent enough read, but it didn't match the wit and humor I expected from this very funny and intelligent person.
Renee
Jul 30, 2007 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not Enough Indians, by Harry Shearer (of Simpsons & Christopher Guest movies fame), has an interesting premise: a bankrupt town decides to save itself by requesting federal recognition as an Indian –ahem- Native American – tribe and subsequently setting up a casino there. Now, I was first attracted to this book because Harry Shearer is a hoot in his various incarnations, especially movies like Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind – so I thought he would render a pretty funny/clever novel (even if it ...more
Gerry
Nov 26, 2007 Gerry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people waiting in emergency rooms, as it will seem better by comparison
Harry Shearer is a gifted comedic actor, musician, and humorist. Unfortunately, he's not a good novelist.

The one-sentence plot summary of Not Enough Indians has great satiric potential: a bankrupt New York town has its citizens recognized as a native tribe to acquire a casino. All right, on with the funny.

But the funny never arrives. The characters are thin creations, like Shearer used Magnetic Personality Quirks to flesh them out. There's the guy with a Big Baby fetish who wears soiled diapers
Lesley
Sep 30, 2008 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not recommend this book, it is painfully stupid. That being said, I totally enjoyed listening to this audiobook. Harry Shearer is a brilliant satirist and his weekly radio program "Le Show" is fun to listen to if only because he doesn't like anyone!

This story has a great base... a bankrupt New York town has its citizens recognized as a native tribe to acquire a casino. Nobody is a native, though. The characters are so stereotypical and shallow! That being said, they all made me laugh. Harry
Kate
Feb 02, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritereads
Hilarious! This novel is by Harry Shearer-- as in the Harry Shearer who is the voice of numerous Simpsons characters and was in movies such as Spinal Tap.

In a fictional, economically distressed town in upstate New York, local officials decide to pretend everyone in town is a member of a long lost Indian tribe in order to be able to put up a casino and get some revenue. This idea for a story is funny enough but I loved Shearer's goofy characters and descriptive writing. It was like each sentence
Chris
Jun 24, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept is what got me to pick this book up: a city on the verge of bankruptcy "discovers" its Native American heritage, gets recognized as a tribe by the government, attempts to start a casino, and wackiness ensues. Unfortunately, the characters have no depth. Each of the main characters is described in about two sentences at the start of the book, and that is all you ever get to know about them. Halfway through the book, I had trouble keeping straight which name went with which personality ...more
Don
A relatively short, but bitingly satiric story full of absurd characters marks Shearer’s (The Simpsons, This Is Spinal Tap) debut as a novelist. The residents of the small upstate town of Gammage, New York are desperately looking for a way out of bankruptcy. They are reborn as the Filaquonsett tribe and open a humongous casino, with help from Las Vegas and Washington, and much to the disdain of the Wowosas (another spurious casino-owning tribe).
Ashley
Jun 09, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-picks
I love Harry Shearer, and the book started out promising. His dry humor appeals to me and I was ready for a hilarious, slightly-dark, dry book. Instead, I feel like it started out funny, never really rose to it's potential, and ultimately sputtered out at the end. It was short and a pretty quick read, but I was left feeling a little deflated at the end, muttering to myself, "That was it?"
Sharon
Nov 18, 2014 Sharon rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Read by the author, I felt I was being read to by Mr. Skinner and Ned Flanders. Social satire highlighting casinos, Native American status, big box stores, implants, dying small towns, and every caricature imaginable. I enjoy satire, and I laughed out loud at parts of this book, but overall, it wasn't a compelling listen.
Jon
Oct 15, 2008 Jon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that like douchey-ass Tom Robbins
Recommended to Jon by: Sarah Morgans
Shelves: read-2008
Harry Shearer tries to drop even more annoying uber-hip, po-culture references the that douche bag Tom Robbins. However, he still manages to put out a half-decent story with some funny satire. And I'm pretentious enough to feel good about myself for reading about "native american" culture.
Rosie49
Dec 29, 2013 Rosie49 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can i say? I'm giving it 5 stars because:
1. It's a funny and fast read.
2. I have an autographed copy.
3. ....That I got for $5 at the Friends of the Philly Library bookstore.
Mary Newcomb
Gammage NY is in severe fiscal trouble. Their solution, becoming recognized as a tribe and opening a casino, is a bit unorthodox at best. This satire kept me entertained on a trip across the Prairie State.
Jessica
Jun 28, 2016 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted so much to love this book and it kind of pains me to give it one star...but I couldn't even finish it. I love Harry Shearer and I could go on about his talents, just not his fiction writing talents.
Ben
Feb 16, 2008 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just an average book on the politics of Indian Casinos and the whole Indian Affairs. What I thought would be a funny book turned into a dull read with little humor, except the NPR lady.

Steve
Jan 04, 2008 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Picked up from new book shlef based on author's name.
I think Harry Shearer is terrific. However, I had a hard time getting into this piece of fiction. I don't lke his fiction style. It had great reveiws "brilliant and crisp page turner".... NOT!
Greg
Jan 27, 2009 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing particularly enlightening about this book. Mildly funny at parts and excellent pop-culture references. Struck me as a slightly less-entertaining Christopher Moore.
Photokitten
Wow...coudln't have been more disappointed in this one. THOUGHT it would b e funny since I think Harry Shearer is funny...but nope...it was LAME...SO much potential too...
Jeff
Feb 12, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
I liked it. We heard it on an audio recording in the car. It was hard to hear some parts that were quieter because of the road noise, but I would still recommend it.
Kate Rudasill
Good little read (def. little). Funny, entertaining, but not totally there. He could've done SO much more. But it's a good first effort for Harry Shearer.
Angela
Dec 16, 2012 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A satire about corruption, deception, corporations, and the Native American way. Good enough to finish, but not great enough to rave about.
josie
Apr 06, 2008 josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, but not as sharp as one would expect from Harry Shearer. Radio is definitely his medium.
Hands
Feb 08, 2009 Hands rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sale-shelf
Nicely done, Harry. The satire hits home, but the off-the-cuff similes and metaphors make it a delight.
Dave
Oct 26, 2007 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book sounds good, I went to a reading by Harry Shearer himself, and he signed my copy.... cool....
Ethan
Oct 11, 2008 Ethan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has some laughs in it. It's just that I expected a lot more from Harry Shearer.
Eric
Jul 07, 2007 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satire. Made me chuckle but not laugh out loud. I think the Simpsons was the sale.
Andy
Aug 27, 2008 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good quick little read. Funny especially if you're in the Gaming/gambling biz.
Betsie Bush
Jun 22, 2009 Betsie Bush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor
Love this style of humor. Reminds me of John Welter's fiction.
Carmen
Dec 06, 2007 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was going to be good but was disappointed.
Deb
Sep 11, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the easily offended. It made me laugh.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Stain of the Berry (A Russell Quant Mystery, #4)
  • Creepin'
  • Primeval: Extinction Event
  • Fey Born (Fairy Faith, #2)
  • Seriously Funny: The Rebel Comedians of the 1950s and 1960s
  • Blinded
  • British Summertime
  • Things I Like About America: Personal Narratives
  • The Del Rey Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy: Sixteen Original Works by Speculative Fiction's Finest Voices
  • Have I Got Views For You
  • In Her Absence
  • Her Outlaw (Bad Luck Brides, #7)
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Cormac
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • 68 Knots
  • By Honor Bound
Harry Julius Shearer is an American comedic actor, writer and radio host. Shearer, a voice actor on The Simpsons (1989 to present), provides the voices of Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers, Ned Flanders, Reverend Timothy Lovejoy, Kent Brockman, Dr. Julius Hibbert, Dr. Marvin Monroe, Lenny Leonard, Principal Seymour Skinner, Otto Mann, Scratchy and Rainier Wolfcastle among others.

On June 19, 2008, it was
More about Harry Shearer...