Collateral Damage (Silent Warrior, #1)

Collateral Damage (Silent Warrior #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Let a terrorist take her? Not over his dead body and damned soul…

One thing makes Jack Hunter invaluable to his Delta Force Team. The same trait that makes him suck at relationships. Single-minded focus on his career—and honing his ability to never miss a kill.

After a terrorist missile devastates his team and leaves him with only partial memory of a FUBARed rescue mission,...more
296 pages
Published December 2010

Maldivianbookreviewer

A 4.5 star romantic suspense!

Like any reader, I am a bit apprehensive when it comes to trying out new authors, though that doesn’t stop me from trying out books on authors that I have never heard of because just sometimes, delving into the unknown certainly pays off when you find a book such as this one where the pages literally turn themselves with the fast paced action, romance and adventure that this one delivers – in spades.

Likes:
1- Jack Hunter. He is broody, tortured and hot as sin!! I al...more
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
- by Mahatma Ghandi -

Delta Team leader Sergeant First Class Jack Hunter was injured during a failed rescue mission in Lebanon. He's suffering from amnesia. One thing he does remember is killing a man that should not have been where he was. Jack is desperate to discover what went wrong. When he finds out the person he saw and killed was Bill Collins, he turns up at Lauren Collins's door and starts asking questions....more
Jill

Sergeant First Class Jack 'DT' ('double tap' for his two-shot precision hits) Hunter, a Delta team leader, is recovering from a failed mission in Lebanon. He's been injured physically and traumatised psychologically, missing parts in his memory of what actually happened. What he does remember and that no one seems to believe, is seeing and killing a blonde, blue-eyed American at the terrorist stronghold. When Jack discovers the identity of the American he sets out to uncover the truth by first v...more
Yvonne
Wow - I am paying the price this morning for loving this book. I stayed up til the wee hours of morning because I had to know what happened. This book had it ALL, amazing Hero, smart heroine, romance that actually made sense despite the circumstances. Incredible secondary characters that I can't wait to read about in book #2 and hold on ..... The absolute craziest/strangest villains you could imagine!

I've never read anything by this author (AKA Jennifer St. Giles) but will definitely take a loo...more
Melanie

I had a difficult time with this book - it wasn't completely terrible, but there were several things that just didn't work for me. But first I'll outline the good...

What I liked:

1) The cover - As bad as this is to admit, I totally bought this book based on the cover (*hangs head in shame*). I really dig this cover though - hot military dude set against a backdrop of intense sky and ruins (all in sepia) totally works for me.

2) Mari (and Roger) - I was pretty drawn into Mari's tragic stor...more
Yona
Too many points of view here and it got me confused at times and it felt like reading a military report. I couldn't connect with the characters and the end was unsatisfying just ending in the middle.
I expected more, it wasn't bad but it was kind of strange and not very easy to read.

It was a debut novel so I hope it will get better with each book as the series continues.
Kim O
more like a 4.5. I really liked this book. The writing was GREAT! See full review at www.wtfbookreviews.blogspot.com

Sonia
Me ha costado conectar con esta novela, pasan muchas cosas en poco tiempo y no he sentido conexión con los protagonistas, falta emoción en favor de la acción, la cual sin embargo está bien estructurada.
Otra pega (grande) es que no solo un psicópata lleva la batuta, ni siquiera 2, ¡la autora necesita 3! lo que es OVERKILL lo mires por donde lo mires.Se apoya en razones médicas (¿será por deformación profesional, siendo ella enfermera?) para poner en marcha las motivaciones de los villanos de turn...more
Maldivianbookreviewer

A 4.5 star romantic suspense!

Likes:
1- Jack Hunter. He is broody, tortured and hot as sin!! I alwa...more
Robin *loves sexy books*
This took a little while to get going but once it did, I didn't want to put it down.

The storyline with the couple of bad guys got a little convoluted, but overall I liked it. Hope there is a book 2 to tie up some loose ends with more military hotties!!
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is a fast paced, action packed thriller with a few MF romances thrown in for good measure.

It is a really great story with so many different stories lines that converge and then separate as the overall story is told.

The story is introduced with the usual military operation gone wrong and then the ripple effect takes place, but this rippling brings the shadowy bad guys into action and their global reach is played out in a world on the brink of anarchy and ideological and political warfare.

I...more
Richard E.
Some books are like looking thru a scarf and seeing light. Others are like a tapestry, forcing you to look over or around it to see what's behind it.

This book was multi-layered and (to me) each part built upon the other as the story unfolds.

The 'survivor's guilt' suffered by Jack Hunter, the team leader, his team grieveously wounded, one dead, after a hostage rescue goes wrong.

The type A personality, fighting back in physical therapy, to get 'back in shape' in order to get some answers about th...more
Jenese (Readers Confession)
Jack Hunter is part of Delta special op team and just completed a mission that didn't quite go as planned. Lauren Collins is in the middle of a divorce and a mother of two identical twin boys. Her ex seems to have involved her and their kids in a lot more than they can handle. This is my first read from J.L. Saint and from a Delta special forces type hero. Although I love military men, this book just didn't do it for me. I struggled to finish thus book multiple times. The writing style wasn't ba...more
Jennifer Gifford
I'm pretty open minded and ready anything as long as it peaks my interest. I have several problems with this book.

1. The main warrior heals too quickly from life threatening injuires, in my opinion because the storyline was a little weak.

2. Story is a lose web of emails and a typical bad guy. I predicted a lot of the action, and they get eaten by a jungle cat? Really? I mean, really? A little too neat for my liking.

3. Very little dialogue, and too much internal dialogue of the characters. More d...more
Micheale
As my rating says, it was ok. Without repeating the synopsis of the book, I read it because I like fast paced semi-mystery novels. Having some romance thrown in for good measure makes my reading day!

Likes: The premise of the story and the background stories. The main characters and the sub-characters. Even the evil ones. The pace of the plot and sub-plots was just right for me.

Dislikes: The authors use of White American Shepherds. Give me a break! They are German Shepherds with a white coat, per...more
Sunny
This book snuck up on me. I didn’t have any expectations because J.L. Saint was a new author to me and I didn’t know much about this book. I was strangely drawn to the cover. I couldn’t decide whether the model was scary or heroic (I’ve decided that that particular picture is a bit of both.) Both the book and the main character, Jack Hunter, were a nice surprise.

Jack Hunter is a Delta Force sergeant recovering from injuries sustained from a rescue mission gone awry in the Middle East. He is lef...more
Erotic Horizon
What worked for me

Characters - Jack was definitely alpha male material and he spoke it and acted it with everything he did. He carry that broody thing they all do so well but overall he had a conscience and I absolutely loved the fact that he knew how to listen and take advise when you least expected it.

Lauren was not kick ass chick but neither was she a TSTL girl either, she was a mother who knew what winning again the odd was all about, she was a home owner who had just about lost the only sta...more
Ursula Gorman
Loved this book! Author J.L.Saint does a wonderful job pulling the reader into the story. Jack Hunter is the perfect hero and leading man. He's damaged both physically, mentally and emotionally but that doesn't stop him from doing everything to help protect a women he doesn't know and her two children.
Lauren, an almost divorced mother of twin boys is thrust into a world she doesn't know, for reasons that leave her reeling. She is a mother that'll do anything to keep her boys safe...and she is g...more
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Collateral Damage has everything you look for in a romance/suspense/military book.. You have your hunky angst driven hero, a strong heroine mom who doesnt cower in the face of so many dangerous situations.. You have strong supporting characters which you become just as interested in as you do the H and H... I really liked that you got so many POV in this book.. You not only get the H and H but also the many villians plus some of the secondary characters which for me really helps you understand e...more
Dawn Rinken
This book was interesting: it had awesome, conflicted characters and great character-chemistry, but the plot-conflict was a bit too complicated, which made it difficult to follow. (Possibly easier for people who are more in-touch with current, world affairs than me. But then, the author made up the crisis-situations, so I should have been able to follow better.) Also, the ending felt a bit rushed. Overall, though, it was a complete story with hot romance and it was a fun read. I am waiting not-s...more
Aly Hackett
I really wanted to like this book. I really did but unfortunately it was just meh for me.

It has a great premise but there was so much "stuff" and not so much dialogue. There also were multiple - OK lots - of POVs. For me all of that clogged up the story and towards the end I found myself skimming the pages & pages of paragraphs & paragraphs of story.

I will try to next in the series but if this is the authors writing style, it's just not for me :(
Nicole Banks
Well hello J.L Saint lol book was def dope there's a lot o characters so you have to pay attention or your will miss something. I see a lot of people complain about there being too many point of views all I shall say is thank you baby jesus this other did that. I can't tell you how many times I read a book with different characters dying to get inside everyones head the fact that Saint does this is a beautiful thing. Def look forward to the next book
Michelle [Helen Geek]
This book started good, but then got very slow and difficult to justify my time to work through it. I finally gave it up. I may pick it up later, but probably not. I will give it a 3 for the simple reason, the story plot was good, but the execution was lacking. This was the first book I've read by this author. I'm not inclined to try another.

I read quite a bit and have limited time. They have to grab me and keep me.
S
This was my first book by this author and I liked it a lot. Some of it was not very believable but it is fiction. It does jump around a bit from storyline to storyline which I really didn't like in the beginning. By the end I got used to it and it didn't really bother me. There were a lot of typos which is really annoying. I'm hoping there is a book for Angie and Rico in the future.
Cindy McDonald
This was my first read for 2012 and wow whatta ride! Collateral Damage is a heart pounding, on-the- edge-of-your-seat adventure from the the get-go, and it doesn't stop until the book is closed. I highly recommend this book and look forward to more of what J.L. Saint has to offer in the future- I think this may be the first of a series, and I would def read the entire list.
Straight Shootin' Book Reviews
I don't know... it was a hard for me to get through. I skimmed a lot of it. I liked Jack, Roger and Lauren well enough. I'd like to learn more about Mari too. I just kept pushing through it to see how it ended. Now I feel like I need to read the next one even though I know it will be a struggle. Will read the next one.... just not now.
Mike Chagnon
A well-researched and well-written story with the right balance of action, suspense, romance, and sexual intensity... and then, of course, there are the weapons so this was one of those books I just finished in one sitting. The plot is multi-layered and the characters are just as intriguing.
Glenda Bettin
was good, hard to read at times but enjoyed it
Maera Fey
It was an "ok" read. Not out-of-this-world good nor worst-than-fungus bad. Just... "ok". There were perhaps a bit too much twists, too many different plots going on at the same time, going from one character to another so much so that it got distracting.
An entertaining read, worth 3.5 stars. This was the first book I have read by this author as well as my first military based romance so I have nothing to compare it to but I am off to the download the second book in the series now.
  • Under Fire
  • Deadly Descent (Bagram Special Ops, #1)
  • Breaking Free (SEAL TEAM Heartbreakers #1)
  • Pursuit
  • Edge of Survival
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Don't Look Back
  • Defender (Dark Ops, #1)
  • Command and Control (Holding out for a Hero, #2)
  • Grace Under Pressure
  • The Night Is Mine (The Night Stalkers, #1)
  • SEAL of My Dreams
  • Woman on the Run
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
This bewitching Georgia Peach is anything but ordinary. She’s a mother, nurse, thriller writer, award-winning paranormal/romance/contemporary author, passionate patriot, event planner and more! She’s also home schooled three children and is the Vice-President of a charitable foundation which helps women and children’s causes and in her spare time she writes screenplays!

Also writes under the names...more
More about J.L. Saint...
Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)

“Another time, another place, I'd back you to that wall right there, or any place you wanted to go, and do everything in my power to wipe him from your mind.” 6 likes
“Dogs find me irresistible." He lowered his voice to a conspiring whisper, aiming to put her at ease. "It's an alpha thing." Which was true, but was totally outrageous for him to claim.” 5 likes