Putting Food By

Putting Food By

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Putting Food By has sold more than 550,000 copies since it was first published. This new revised edition updates the information and adds several new sections on how to: preserve with less sugar and salt, make better-than-store-bought foods at home, freeze for the microwave, preserve and can for the small family, can and freeze convenience foods, choose the right equipment...more
Published February 1st 1992 by Plume (first published July 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Putting Food By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting Food By

Junio
Aug 14, 2008 Junio rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who prepare food, rather than just getting it prepackaged
This book is the go to book for all of Katie's jams and preserves. If you want the tastiest local foods year round, you need to put food by. It includes information, on caning, pickling, freezing, and drying so it can fit your preferences very well.

My mom actually sent us our copy. One of the best presents of the year.
Joy
I actually owned an old version of this book and sold it on Amazon a while back when I wasn't canning and my gf made fun of the title and I took it personally! Yes, I'm ridiculous. Anyway, we have it from the library now and it's great. Each section on different ways to preserve has valuable information on technique as well as diagrams and pictures. This basic information gives you a foundation of food storage principles.
Kristen
I actually considered canning food to be a hard-but-not-crazy-hard task before reading this book. Now I am thoroughly convinced that if I attempted canning anything, one minuscule error will kill my entire family with botulism. Thanks, Janet Greene!
Ami
"Putting Food By" must be the definitive work on canning, freezing, drying, and preserving food. Do you have a burning desire to can salmon? This book will tell you how. You want to know the exact science behind mold? This book has that information. This book has ALL the information.
If I was solely judging this book on knowledge alone I would give it five stars, easily. But the information wasn't easily read, nor were there any photographs to break up the four hundred plus pages. While this is a...more
Katrina
A few good things but not my favorite book for canning. Good tid-bits though so I keep it.
Jodi
Sep 19, 2011 Jodi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I think this is the 4th edition of this classic book on preserving food. While it is a wealth of information, I must admit I didn't find it overly inspiring. I am pretty much interested in water-bath canning, and I don't eat meat - so much of the content of this book was simply outside of my interest. It's also a text-heavy book, which is tough these days, what with all the gorgeous photography now included in cookbooks.
Natalie
I know it is weird, but I do actually READ cookbooks. Apparently this is the CLASSIC reference; I need to find an updated version in a similar vein but with less sugar, fewer toxic ingredients and less processing. Some recipes DO fit this bill, and I could sift those out, but it wasn't the norm for the compilation.
Kelly
This is a classic, and if you are a home canner you should have this one (along with the Ball Blue book from your hardware store). It contains detailed reference on canning, freezing and drying. For me, it expanded my ideas about how I could put different vegetables by for the winter. Nothing fancy or trendy.
Diane
This book was my best resource during my blur of canning things at summer's end! The recipes are great! If you like low sugar, no-corn syrup, and interesting blends of ingredients, this book is a keeper. Mine is about 30 years old, I need to pick up a current edition to see what has been added!
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Putting Food By, by Janet Greene was recommended to me for learning how to make your own canned goods. It was very informative but I was overwhelmed with all the information. I definitely think its the most important book if you want the science behind canning.
Heather Valachovic
I found this book invaluable for learning how to preserve foods and why certain techniques are used over others in terms of food safety and retarding bacterial growth. I highly recommend it for anyone who has an interest in preserving food safely.
Cherie
C+ This book is a good resource if you want to can, freeze and preserve fresh produce; however, I think (as this edition was rather old, from the 80s) there are probably more updated resources.
Deborah
I didn't really read the entire book, but it is a great reference guide. I used it to prepare veggies for freezer. Not sure when I will be brave enough or have time for canning.
Anne
If you're interested in canning, freezing, making jam, etc., this is your book. It's chock-full of grandma's best advice...and a lot of hilarious anecdotes about people in town.
Mike Moskos
This book is an invaluable resource if you want to know how to can food without killing your loved ones. Also, a good reference for freezing, drying, salt curing, etc.
Kelsey
I have never canned before and this was a good introduction, I still have yet to preserve anything but when I have the time this book will definitely be nearby.
Dayna
I have not read the whole book - I have merely breezed through sections. This is a useful reference tool that I am sure to check back on many many times to come.
Nichole
Good reference book. Mom had one of the earlier editions and I called her to see what it said a bunch. Finally broke down & got mg own copy.
Cheryl
Aug 08, 2008 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: veggie gardeners
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
Lots of GREAT info for keeping that garden of foods all year round. Easy to follow directions and helpful tips. Good reference to always have handy.
Sheryl
fascinating! I am learning a lot...mostly for next year.
But her suggestion to "flash freeze" stuff totally blew my mind. I'm hooked!
Heidi
Excellent resource. I actually had the 2010 edition to review.

Used it to put my first green beans by today.
Marissa
If you wish to do any sort of food preservation, purchase this book. I refer to it time and time again.
Mamafeelgood
I more of less just glanced through this one to see if it was something that I would like to buy.
Beth
This is one of my go-to canning reference books. Worth having on your kitchen shelf!
Ashley
A slightly old-fashioned, but very informative, book on preserving food.
Gheeta
In interesting reference on the various techniques of preserving food.
Glenn
Jan 05, 2013 Glenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All preservers.
Shelves: cookbooks
If I was still preserving this would be about 5th on my essentials list.
Cathy

Good book on canning. Great reference, not the most inspiring.
Aramie
Excellent resource for those interested in food preservation & storage.
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • The Joy of Pickling - Revised: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
Epitaphs to Remember Over Their Dead Bodies Heal Your Pain: Releasing the Emotions of Grief & Loss Heal Your Self: A Journey to Find You Heal Your Heart: A Journey to Find Your Soul Mate