Start by marking “Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap” as Want to Read:
Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap

Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Breakout Churches … what does it take for your church to break out of mediocrity? In search of answers, Thom Rainer and his research team conducted a landmark study on the church. Unfolding the findings of that study, Breakout Churches furnishes both principles and examples to show how you as a pastor or church leader can help your church break out of the status quo into u ...more
Published January 10th 2010 by Zondervan (first published December 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Breakout Churches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakout Churches

Joe Cassada
Negatives: Rainer relied too heavily on Jim Collins's book Good to Great. Modeling a book on church growth after a book on corporate success is a huge turn-off for me. Also, Rainer's portrayal of leadership qualities based on Acts 1-7 was a work of fiction and not exposition. Any book on ministry should deal seriously with biblical texts. Last negative: Rick Warren's ministry philosophy is lauded and defended. The seeker-sensitive model is unbiblical at its core.

Positives: the subject matter is
bookme4life
Jul 08, 2012 bookme4life marked it as not-happening  ·  review of another edition
Despite understanding the logic for books like this, I always find myself conflicted when business principles are applied to a church.
Danny Jefferson
Jan 24, 2014 Danny Jefferson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful! This book provides the research and the data that is critical to do a necessary analyses for strategic planning in the local church! So often church leaders attempt to to create solutions to church problems without ever really knowing what the problem is. This is the church version of "Good To Great." Thom Rainer provided clear components of what moved some churches from mediocre to good and finally to GREAT!
Paul
May 14, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a lot of helpful insights in this book. In the big picture, his bias is towards how growth is a requirement due to the Great Commission. I'm glad he only included churches with an emphasis on evangelism, as it's so lacking these days.

While he valued starting new congregations in his written analysis, I'm not sure his statistics capture that since they only wanted to interview churches that grew. With that said, I'm not sure how much different his conclusions would have been if they ha
Mary Lewis
Dec 31, 2014 Mary Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A seminal work from Thom Rainer. Based on "Good to Great", Rainer studied churches that were able to make a similar leap from Good to Great or to "Breakout" status. Incorporates a lot of the concepts from other Rainer works. If you want to read one thing by Thom Rainer, this is the one.
Ernest Kincaid
Jan 24, 2014 Ernest Kincaid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My Pastor friends
Recommended to Ernest by: My Pastor
Excellent book. If you liked Jim Collins' Good to Great, and if you're at all concerned about your church, you will like Breakout Churches. Rainer is a church consultant and has done extensive research for this book on what makes for a breakout church. Complete with actual case studies and comparison churches; Thom Rainer models his research and the premise of this book on 'Good to Great'. Rainer is meticulous, detailed, and easy to follow in this technical, yet consumer friendly read about the ...more
Jt
Feb 20, 2016 Jt added it
Shelves: church-growth
Got me thinking about what it takes to lead a church
Daryl Watts
Aug 10, 2011 Daryl Watts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the book is 4 years old, I finally finished it. Based on Good to Great by Jim Collins, the book provides some interesting insights into leadership. It's not really about churches but about the kind of leader it takes to lead a church to spiritual greatness.

It does tend to repeat a lot of data and sometimes the parallels between the book and Good to Great are forced, but the date and the principles are still well worth the read. See my full summary at http://cybertsunani.typepad.com
Bill
Mar 19, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
A great research based book that is along the same lines as "Good to Great" but adapted to churches. Insightful, and filled with a number of surprising statements and data about the "great" churches in the United States.
Michael
Dec 08, 2015 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
This was a good book even though it matched up very much with one of Jim Collin's books. I found that the recaps were almost sufficient in understanding each chapters information.
Ryan
Aug 30, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Modeled after Good to Great ( Jim Collins), this book is the result of a study to see why some churches are growing while others are not.
Justin Carter
Nov 04, 2013 Justin Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great research based book. I highly recommend this book! Shows elements in various church in various contexts that all churches should strive to hvae!
Joani
May 07, 2009 Joani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A study of successful ministries based on the "Good to Great" model. Now I'd like to read "Good to Great".
Andy Anderson
Jan 14, 2010 Andy Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatbook that every pastor needs to read, especially those who are trying to make changes in their church.
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Hall David
Hall David rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Clark Clervois
Clark Clervois is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Gradon Schaub
Gradon Schaub rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Tina
Tina added it
Jul 25, 2016
Liela Fuller
Liela Fuller marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
michelo
michelo marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Asha
Asha is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2016
Don Anderson
Don Anderson rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Wes Faulk
Wes Faulk rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
  • Ignite: How to Spark Immediate Growth in Your Church
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Comeback Churches: How 300 Churches Turned Around and Yours Can, Too
  • Seven Practices of Effective Ministry
  • Missional Renaissance: Changing the Scorecard for the Church
  • Sticky Church
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Move: What 1,000 Churches Reveal about Spiritual Growth
  • Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • DiscipleShift: Five Steps That Help Your Church to Make Disciples Who Make Disciples
  • Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
  • The Power of Vision
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Right Here, Right Now: Everyday Mission for Everyday People
Thom Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Prior to LifeWay, he served at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twelve years where he was the founding dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism. He is a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama and earned his Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

In a
More about Thom S. Rainer...

“Passion is hard to define, but I know it when I see it.” 0 likes
“The possibility that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. —Abraham Lincoln” 0 likes