Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap

Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Thom Rainer's latest book, he sets out to discover how churches that were once healthy but had stagnated in growth have broken out to become great churches impacting lives and entire communities.
Published January 10th 2010 by Zondervan (first published December 28th 2004)

Joe Cassada
Negatives: Rainer relied too heavily on Jim Collins's book Good to Great. Modeling a book on church growth after a book on corporate success is a huge turn-off for me. Also, Rainer's portrayal of leadership qualities based on Acts 1-7 was a work of fiction and not exposition. Any book on ministry should deal seriously with biblical texts. Last negative: Rick Warren's ministry philosophy is lauded and defended. The seeker-sensitive model is unbiblical at its core.

Positives: the subject matter is...more
bookme4life
Jul 08, 2012 bookme4life marked it as not-happening  ·  review of another edition
Despite understanding the logic for books like this, I always find myself conflicted when business principles are applied to a church.
Danny Jefferson
Very insightful! This book provides the research and the data that is critical to do a necessary analyses for strategic planning in the local church! So often church leaders attempt to to create solutions to church problems without ever really knowing what the problem is. This is the church version of "Good To Great." Thom Rainer provided clear components of what moved some churches from mediocre to good and finally to GREAT!
Paul
There were a lot of helpful insights in this book. In the big picture, his bias is towards how growth is a requirement due to the Great Commission. I'm glad he only included churches with an emphasis on evangelism, as it's so lacking these days.

While he valued starting new congregations in his written analysis, I'm not sure his statistics capture that since they only wanted to interview churches that grew. With that said, I'm not sure how much different his conclusions would have been if they ha...more
Ernest Kincaid
Jan 24, 2014 Ernest Kincaid rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My Pastor friends
Recommended to Ernest by: My Pastor
Excellent book. If you liked Jim Collins' Good to Great, and if you're at all concerned about your church, you will like Breakout Churches. Rainer is a church consultant and has done extensive research for this book on what makes for a breakout church. Complete with actual case studies and comparison churches; Thom Rainer models his research and the premise of this book on 'Good to Great'. Rainer is meticulous, detailed, and easy to follow in this technical, yet consumer friendly read about the...more
Mike Denk
Great book, but I just couldn't get past the fact that they basically ripped off him Collin's, Good to Great.
Daryl Watts
Even though the book is 4 years old, I finally finished it. Based on Good to Great by Jim Collins, the book provides some interesting insights into leadership. It's not really about churches but about the kind of leader it takes to lead a church to spiritual greatness.

It does tend to repeat a lot of data and sometimes the parallels between the book and Good to Great are forced, but the date and the principles are still well worth the read. See my full summary at http://cybertsunani.typepad.com
Bill
A great research based book that is along the same lines as "Good to Great" but adapted to churches. Insightful, and filled with a number of surprising statements and data about the "great" churches in the United States.
Ryan
Modeled after Good to Great ( Jim Collins), this book is the result of a study to see why some churches are growing while others are not.
Justin Carter
Great research based book. I highly recommend this book! Shows elements in various church in various contexts that all churches should strive to hvae!
Joani
A study of successful ministries based on the "Good to Great" model. Now I'd like to read "Good to Great".
Andy Anderson
Greatbook that every pastor needs to read, especially those who are trying to make changes in their church.
Guy
Guy marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Sean Nemecek
Sean Nemecek marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Steven Marinez
Steven Marinez marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Thom Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Prior to LifeWay, he served at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twelve years where he was the founding dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism. He is a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama and earned his Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

In a...more
More about Thom S. Rainer...
Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples I Am a Church Member: Discovering the Attitude that Makes the Difference The Millennials: Connecting to America's Largest Generation The Unexpected Journey: Conversations with People Who Turned from Other Beliefs to Jesus Surprising Insights from the Unchurched and Proven Ways to Reach Them