Start by marking “Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap” as Want to Read:
Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap

Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Breakout Churches ... what does it take for your church to break out of mediocrity? In search of answers, Thom Rainer and his research team conducted a landmark study on the church. Unfolding the findings of that study, Breakout Churches furnishes both principles and examples to show how you as a pastor or church leader can help your church break out of the status quo into ...more
Published January 10th 2010 by Zondervan (first published December 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Breakout Churches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakout Churches

Joe Cassada
Negatives: Rainer relied too heavily on Jim Collins's book Good to Great. Modeling a book on church growth after a book on corporate success is a huge turn-off for me. Also, Rainer's portrayal of leadership qualities based on Acts 1-7 was a work of fiction and not exposition. Any book on ministry should deal seriously with biblical texts. Last negative: Rick Warren's ministry philosophy is lauded and defended. The seeker-sensitive model is unbiblical at its core.

Positives: the subject matter is
bookme4life
Jul 08, 2012 bookme4life marked it as not-happening  ·  review of another edition
Despite understanding the logic for books like this, I always find myself conflicted when business principles are applied to a church.
Danny Jefferson
Very insightful! This book provides the research and the data that is critical to do a necessary analyses for strategic planning in the local church! So often church leaders attempt to to create solutions to church problems without ever really knowing what the problem is. This is the church version of "Good To Great." Thom Rainer provided clear components of what moved some churches from mediocre to good and finally to GREAT!
Paul
There were a lot of helpful insights in this book. In the big picture, his bias is towards how growth is a requirement due to the Great Commission. I'm glad he only included churches with an emphasis on evangelism, as it's so lacking these days.

While he valued starting new congregations in his written analysis, I'm not sure his statistics capture that since they only wanted to interview churches that grew. With that said, I'm not sure how much different his conclusions would have been if they ha
Mary Lewis
A seminal work from Thom Rainer. Based on "Good to Great", Rainer studied churches that were able to make a similar leap from Good to Great or to "Breakout" status. Incorporates a lot of the concepts from other Rainer works. If you want to read one thing by Thom Rainer, this is the one.
Ernest Kincaid
Jan 24, 2014 Ernest Kincaid rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My Pastor friends
Recommended to Ernest by: My Pastor
Excellent book. If you liked Jim Collins' Good to Great, and if you're at all concerned about your church, you will like Breakout Churches. Rainer is a church consultant and has done extensive research for this book on what makes for a breakout church. Complete with actual case studies and comparison churches; Thom Rainer models his research and the premise of this book on 'Good to Great'. Rainer is meticulous, detailed, and easy to follow in this technical, yet consumer friendly read about the ...more
Daryl Watts
Even though the book is 4 years old, I finally finished it. Based on Good to Great by Jim Collins, the book provides some interesting insights into leadership. It's not really about churches but about the kind of leader it takes to lead a church to spiritual greatness.

It does tend to repeat a lot of data and sometimes the parallels between the book and Good to Great are forced, but the date and the principles are still well worth the read. See my full summary at http://cybertsunani.typepad.com
Bill
A great research based book that is along the same lines as "Good to Great" but adapted to churches. Insightful, and filled with a number of surprising statements and data about the "great" churches in the United States.
Michael
This was a good book even though it matched up very much with one of Jim Collin's books. I found that the recaps were almost sufficient in understanding each chapters information.
Ryan
Modeled after Good to Great ( Jim Collins), this book is the result of a study to see why some churches are growing while others are not.
Justin Carter
Great research based book. I highly recommend this book! Shows elements in various church in various contexts that all churches should strive to hvae!
Joani
A study of successful ministries based on the "Good to Great" model. Now I'd like to read "Good to Great".
Andy Anderson
Greatbook that every pastor needs to read, especially those who are trying to make changes in their church.
Gor
Gor added it
Apr 30, 2015
David Cozart
David Cozart marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Jayson
Jayson marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Jonine
Jonine is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2015
Dave Crow
Dave Crow marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Joshua
Joshua is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2015
Joe Foltz
Joe Foltz marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Carl Fenn
Carl Fenn is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Comeback Churches: How 300 Churches Turned Around and Yours Can, Too
  • Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ
  • Missional Renaissance: Changing the Scorecard for the Church
  • Interpreting the Pauline Epistles
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations
  • Creature of the Word: The Jesus-Centered Church
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
Thom Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Prior to LifeWay, he served at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twelve years where he was the founding dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism. He is a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama and earned his Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

In a
More about Thom S. Rainer...
Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples I Am a Church Member: Discovering the Attitude that Makes the Difference Autopsy of a Deceased Church: 12 Ways to Keep Yours Alive The Millennials: Connecting to America's Largest Generation The Unexpected Journey: Conversations with People Who Turned from Other Beliefs to Jesus

“The possibility that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. —Abraham Lincoln” 0 likes