Start by marking “Monument Rock” as Want to Read:
Monument Rock
Preview

Monument Rock (Kilkenny #5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  20 reviews
TREASURES OF THE FRONTIER

This priceless collection of once lost stories brings to life a time of desperate violence and true courage in a wide-open country of fortune seekers and dreamers, lawbreakers and pioneers. A newly sworn-in marshal must outwit a mysterious killer who’s fleecing his neighbors while secretly cutting their throats. . . . A young drifter, wounded in
Published May 31st 2005 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Monument Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monument Rock

Jason Brasier
A wonderful page turner. Each story is exciting as the one before it. L'amour brings the old west to life on the page like no other. He really captures the true grit and heart of those times.
Carl Brush
All right, I confess to my semi-addiction to Louis L’Amour. I’ve probably read every novel and enjoyed most of them. When he got out of the western genre, as he occasionally did with forays into historic Mongolia or some other exotic period, he faltered. Within his own frame, though, he is unmatched. Monument Rock is a collection of “undiscovered” short stories and a brief novel--the book’s title piece.
The themes and characters are all stock, all predictable. I’ve heard that all plots can be
Debbie
This is a book consisting of mainly short stories. All typical Louis L'Amour western, cowboy story lines. Ladies, if you never read this author, do not be put off. Mr. L'Amour is such an excellent story writer that both men and women will find them interesting. There is just enough of a hint of romance for us women and enough tough guy cowboy shoot outs (but not too much)to keep the guys interested also.
The first half of the book are short stories. I am amazed that this author can develop so man
Richp
This was fun to read. But, it requires a suspension of disbelief, and a tolerance of a lot of violent death, some of characters who deserved it, and some of characters who didn't. This features the idealized West that was depicted in the movies.
Kathy  Petersen
I'd never read a Western, but in my younger (i.e., movie-going) days, I LOVED western movies. At last I'm trying some of the names in cowboy stories. Louis L'Amour seems to be at the top of many lists. I'm not a fan of short stories; perhaps I read too quickly to properly appreciate the form. Anyway I picked this one off the library shelf in a hurry. Monument Rock has several shorts, all of which were good, plus the novella that lends the book its title, which was okay. L'Amour's landscapes and ...more
Stephanie Ricker
I finished Monument Rock, a collection of short stories by Louis L’Amour. I’m still working my way through all of his books that I snagged at the library sale, and I had seen the author’s name on this one and threw it in my box without looking at it too closely. Turns out this edition is large-print, and reading it made me feel very grandmotherly. It was kind of a nice break, though; my copy of All the King’s Men had the teensy tiniest of print. Most of the recently published L’Amour short story ...more
Sara
A wonderful collection of short stories and a novella, 'Monument Rock'. All of the stories are great but the monument Rock story was such a page turner, I could not put it down.
Elizabeth S
More short stories!

"A Man Named Utah" featuring Utah Blaine
"Battle at Burnt Camp" featuring The Cactus Kid
"Ironwood Station" featuring Shawn Talon
"Here Ends the Trail" kinda a fun story about a guy who seems to be able to take a ton of lead
"Strawhouse Trail" featuring Chick Bowdrie
"The Man from the Dead Hills" another fun little story where an unknown hero turns up half-dead and later saves the day
"Monument Rock" featuring Kilkenny, the longest story in this collection, the events happen after t
Craig
Several short stories by L'Amour culminating in the authors short novel which is the last in the Kilkenny series. Classical L'Amour.
Cindy
He never disappoints.
David Ward
Monument Rock (Kilkenny #5) by Louis L'Amour (Bantam Books 1998) (Fiction - Western). This is a collection of short Western stories by the master storyteller of the Western genre. They are built around the short novel entitled Monument Rock. My rating: 6/10, finished 2004.
Charles
A collection of L'Amour's short stories, including stories about some of his major characters. The stories aren't that grand as tales but they reveal a lot about these characters that is interesting to L'Amour fans.
Crystal
I love the work of L'Amour. This is another collection of his short westerns. Fun to read. Paints a colorful, thrilling picture of America's west and her people.
Richard Mansel
This collections contains the last stories L'Amour wrote and they are some of the best I have read. If you're a fan, you will love these stories.
Fredrick Danysh
A series of the last western short stories featuring the Cactus Kid, Utah Blaine, Browdie, and Kilkenny published after L'Amour's death by his son.
Joyce Abell
As always Louis L'amour is unbeatable. This is the third time around for this story and it was just as enjoyable as the first time.
Rbaseel
A mixed bag. Some of the stories were great, others felt a little thin.
Ben
first louis l'amour stuff i read.. got me hooked
PWRL
Feb 25, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Cws
W L'Am
Mike McLaren
Mike McLaren marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Apr 16, 2015
Jody Pulcheon
Jody Pulcheon marked it as to-read
cecil green
cecil green marked it as to-read
Alisa
Alisa marked it as to-read
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • Desert Gold
  • The Law at Randado
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov (Volume Five)
  • 50 Great American Short Stories
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • The Arrangement
  • Breakheart Pass
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • BIG for Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition, #3)
  • The Adventure of the Dancing Men and Other Sherlock Holmes Stories
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

Kilkenny (5 books)
  • The Rider of Lost Creek (Kilkenny #1)
  • The Mountain Valley War (Kilkenny #2)
  • Kilkenny (Kilkenny, #3)
  • A Gun for Kilkenny (Kilkenny #4)
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods