The Bone Thief: A Body Farm Novel

The Bone Thief: A Body Farm Novel (Body Farm #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,258 ratings  ·  159 reviews

New York Times bestselling author Jefferson Bass delivers an authentic and knuckle-biting thriller in which forensic anthropologist Dr. Bill Brockton must confront a crime of unimaginable proportions on his own doorstep. Find out why Booklist says, "Fans of forensic fiction will want to add this author to their list of favorites."

The Bone Thief

Dr. Bill Brockton has been ca...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Thief

Michael
The latest "Body Farm" novel, based on the real-world program at the University of Tennessee, finds the series take a slight change of pace. Dr. Bill Brockton is brought in to consult on a paternity case, only to find when the body in question is exhumed that the arms are missing, replaced by PVC pipe.

The investigation leads to Brockon's involvement with an FBI sting center on a businessman who purchases bodies for various medical conferences and to sell on the black market.

Meanwhile, Brockton...more
Dorie
The writing team of Jefferson Bass has yet to disappoint me with any of their books, and this one was really good as well. The plot centered around black market body parts and human tissue research, which was a fascinating subject to explore. Bill Brockton is roped into assisting with a sting operation with the FBI, and risks alienating Miranda, his young assistant and good friend. For some reason, even though I've read a lot of the books Bass has set at "The Body Farm", this one really made me...more
Patricia
When Burton DeVreiss, Attorney, contacted Dr. Bill Brockton it was to inform Brockton that he had obtained an order to exhume the body of Trey Willoughby to obtain a DNA sample to be used as proof of paternity. Dr. Brockton and his assistant Miranda were shocked when the body was exhumed and the silk suit worn by the deceased was cut open. Trey Willoughby’s arms had been removed and the sleeves filled with white PVC pipe.

This is just one of the many puzzles presented by this fifth book in the se...more
Rebeka
Okay, I'll start off with complete honesty... I ALMOST gave this book only three stars. The reconciliation between Brockton and his son felt so forced and contrived, with the conflict never really adequately explained, I was left shaking my head in dismay. And the plot twist at the end about the relationship between the two main villains... was that really necessary? Honestly... it was just plain weird. I don't even know why that was included.
That being said, I still loved this book. I learn so...more
Linda I
The hardest part about finding good crime thrillers for someone who has a strong science foundation and a penchant for reading well-written crime novels is having to wade through the mediocre to find those rare diamonds (well, I guess the same can be true for much of life, like dating). Unfortunately, this is another one of those oh-hum, mass market appeal, watered-down forensics story. Bummer. The storyline felt sloppy, loose and totally predictable. Well, predictable except for one minor revel...more
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
It was just not my cup of tea, I guess. Too many references to previous books. It was annoying and did not allow me to see the book as a stand alone work. Those references applied pressure to read the first books in the series. I understand some reference to previous books, but here I feel that a large part of the story was rooted in previous books in the series and the storyline kept going back to "ghosts of the past." The new storyline did not start going untill it was 1/3 way into the book. I...more
Jamie Clanin
Well written with plenty of action and medical detail, and connected back nicely to the previous book. At the same time, the conclusion seemed rushed. The buildup took a little while, but then the pacing picked up and several major events happened all at once right at the end.I would have liked a little more, so the writing and story must have been good enough to keep me involved. Much better than the first one I read, and definitely a series I'll stick with.
Erin
Another solid Body Farm Novel. Again, the forensics are top notch but aspects of the story are a bit cheesy. The subplot with his former love Isabella seems forced. Even his relationship with his grad student Miranda seems a bit fake in this book. All in all, though, I enjoyed it because of the forensics and the Knoxville backdrop.
Heather
Poor Dr. Brockton - always getting himself in a pickle. I sure do like these books. Humor, emotion, mystery, science-y stuff - I enjoy it all. Now, on to the next one!
Really not sure whether to give this three stars or four. The story was good, I cared about the characters, was interested in the mystery, didn't' figure it out and the forensic details made for a unique and interesting read. But things were tied up a little too neatly for my taste, relying too much on coincidence. And I really wish I had found out more about Isabella and that whole thread, because it was basically a teaser for the next book. Also, there were times in the middle when it dragged....more
Gail Cooke

To date the topnotch team of Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson writing as Jefferson Bass has brought us a number of forensic thrillers, Bones Of Betrayal (2009), The Devil's Bones (2008), Flesh and Bone (2007). Each is solidly based on accurate forensic science, well plotted, and chillingly rendered. Precisely what readers would come to expect from Bass who is known throughout the world for his expertise as a forensic anthropologist and founder of the University of Tennessee's Body Farm. When team...more
Bea
This series (A Body Farm Novel) is due to become another of my favorite series if Jefferson Bass keeps up the good writing.

The setting is in Knoxville Tennessee, an area that I am familiar with. The story line involves forensic pathology, a topic of interest to me. And, the book is labelled SUSPENSE, a genre I enjoy. So...it would be surprising if I did not like this book.

The writing team of Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson have created an interesting story. Dr. Bill Brockton runs the body farm,...more
Jlaurenmc
The Bone Thief Continues the Body Farm Books
Body Farm founder Dr. Bill Bass continues his semi-autobiographical mystery series with a fifth entry, The Bone Thief. He and his writing partner Jon Jefferson form the team known as Jefferson Bass, and together they bring life to fictional forensic anthropologist Dr. Bill Brockton. Readers following the series have seen Brockton through good times and bad. Most recently Brockton lost yet another love interest when she fled after her heinous crimes wer...more
Denise
3.0 out of 5 stars Solid forensic science novel..., May 26, 2010 This review is from: The Bone Thief: A Body Farm Novel (Hardcover) This fifth book in the Body Farm series was fairly interesting and moved quickly though a long drawn out scene at the end of the book seemed unnecessary and pointless. Suffice to say that before starting this one, you should have read the other 4 previous novels in the series in order to completely understand the characters and the plot. In this work of fiction base...more
Matt
Jefferson Bass is blessed with the ability to write a concise novel that explores numerous areas within the medical field and keep things interesting enough to have readers understand the process. Those who rave over BONES (or Kathy Reichs books) or even the Patricia Cornwell series will surely lap up this book, the fifth installment in the series which has kept my attention from the word, GO! Bass is able to always keep the material fresh (pardon the pun) and new, while still stringing the stor...more
Shiela
This is the fifth installment of the Body Farm novels that the duo Dr. Bill Bass (a real life world renowned forensic anthropologist who founded the Body Farm in Tennessee) and Jon Jefferson (veteran writer) have published. The best way to describe the Body Farm novels is to compare them to my favorite crime/drama television shows: CSI meets Criminal Minds meets Bones all rolled into one satisfying and unpredictable read. The Bone Thief was no exception.

When Dr. Bill Brockton is called upon to t...more
Ashley Dawn
Dr. Bill Brockton runs the ‘Body Farm’ where donated bodies are laid out in plots, carefully kept track of by his assistant and studied for different affects on decomposition. Burt DeVriess, ‘Grease’, a defense attorney calls Dr. Brockton to examine a body that is being exhumed for a paternity case. The only problem is, when the body is exhumed, it is obviously missing some pieces!

Black market body parts are a big business. At least that is what the FBI is using to convince Dr. Brockton to go un...more
Samantha
I really enjoyed the first couple Jefferson Bass novels however the last two have been pretty unbelievable. Not sure how realistic the plot is and therefore it makes me wonder about the other parts of it. I feel like the characters are changing way too much and way too fast in this series. Some of them are doing things that I never dreamed they would do or say. I thought the plot about the selling of human body parts was going to be interesting. However it became unbelievable very quickly. I'm n...more
Allison Shelley
Just to clarify, I listened to the playaway audiobook at work. The thick accents become tiresome after listening to it for hours. I enjoyed this book overall. The details of the scientific aspects were interesting to me. The main character seems to find solace in his scientific facts. Although I found the extreme detail of everything he ate throughout the entire book to be odd. I don't know why someone would dedicate that much time to describing what his son was eating at Panera and describing h...more
J.R.

A routine endeavor to recover DNA from a corpse reveals the body has been desecrated and plunges Dr. Bill Brockton into a case which poses both personal danger and a moral dilemma for the forensic anthropologist.

Brockton agrees to go undercover for the FBI in a sting operation to stop grave robbers engaged in a black market body parts scheme. His secret involvement poses a rift with Miranda Lovelady, his graduate assistant and self-appointed social conscience, as well as threat to his life.

At th...more
Kristin
I have read every book in this series and strongly hoped this one was better than the last (Bones of Betrayal) because I found that one to be a real letdown after the others were so good. With The Bone Thief, the team of Jefferson Bass is back on its game. Drawing from current topics, this book finds Professor Bill Brockton involved in an investigation into black market dealings of cadaver body parts after a simple request for a DNA sample for a paternity suit results in Brockton discovering tha...more
Jan C
I generally enjoy the Bone Farm series. There were parts of this that were a little disturbing. For one thing, it is not a very good idea to read about autopsies on public transportation.

And, at a certain point, it gave me bad dreams one night so I had to put it down for a while. I think it was all that talk about substituting body parts. Because that doesn't happen to me very often. Where something I have read during the day so stayed with me that it affected my dreams at night.

And so I was re...more
Phillipa
Yip, yet another Body Farm novel and I flew thru it (as with the rest of them). I adore this whole series and it is a very easy read. Literally the sort of holiday novel I can devour over a weekend.

If you enjoy a little crime and mystery reading and you're looking for something light to read over your December break, I would highly recommend you try one of these!
Cyn Mcdonald
I usually end up reading the Body Farm books just a few days before they're due back at the library. I enjoy the forensics but they usually have a bit too much graphic medical description. Bones I am fine with, soft tissue not so much. This one's a good story with a plea for more people to become organ and tissue donors.
Jannaeah Duncan
Fabulous!!! I have recently discovered Jefferson Bass and this will not be the last of the books I read by him. I love the realism expressed in the books. You can tell he has had an abundance of experience in his career field and brings that medical aspect forward with recognizable competence.
A joy!
Tabi34
This was a sleazy book. Dr. Bill is mixed up in some thievery and even if he's not really at fault - there are too many people who get hurt along the way - even unknowingly. Will he ever be able to repair his reputation? Will Miranda ever truly trust him again? I HAD to keep reading as our hero walks through the underside of death - if there can be one.

The only thing I didn't like about the book is that one of the story lines wasn't wrapped up, but hey that makes for book #6 doesn't it? I only...more
Fredrick Danysh
The Body Farm is a longterm university research project on the decomposition of the human body. Its director, Dr. Brockton, gets recruited in an FBI sting operation on the sale of illegal body parts following the discovery that a body buried years before had been mutilated for parts years before. A good mystery.
Words for Nerds
This book follows a researcher who’s undercover to help the FBI find a grave robbing group of body salesmen. Meanwhile a man who has lost his hands to radiation is facing the unlikely future of ever regaining use of hands. Funny, Sad, suspenseful.
Rosemarie
Another great book in the Body Farm series! Once again, the plot was realistic and suspenseful, and I continue to find myself caring so much for the main character, Dr. Brockton, that I want to read the next book to see how his life is going and whether or not he resolves ghd issues he's dealing with. (No, I'm not going to give you details. It'll ruin it for you!)
Bryan457
The Body Farm books are a little bit outside of my normal reading patterns, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

There are some fairly gruesome/macabre parts, I don't think I would want to watch a movie/TV show that showed all the decomposing bits and body parts.

I enjoyed the layered storylines. It interweaves the stories of Dr. Garcia's hands, clues to Isabella's whereabouts and current situation, the mystery of the missing body parts on the cadavers, his current relationships with his son and Miranda...more
Question about Isabella 2 20 Aug 12, 2014 01:55PM
  • Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science
  • Dust to Dust (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #7)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • Head Games (Body of Evidence, #5)
  • Trail Of Blood (Theresa MacLean #3)
  • Denial (Frank Clevenger, #1)
  • Spider Bones (Temperance Brennan, #13)
Jefferson Bass on FACEBOOK

Jon Jefferson

Bill Bass

Jefferson Bass is the pen name of Jon Jefferson, writer, and Dr. Bill Bass, renowned forensic anthropologist. Jefferson and Bass have collaborated on 2 nonfiction books and 6 crime novels; their 7th novel, The Inquisitor's Key, will...more
More about Jefferson Bass...
Carved in Bone (Body Farm #1) Flesh and Bone (Body Farm #2) The Devil's Bones (Body Farm #3) Bones of Betrayal (Body Farm #4) The Bone Yard (Body Farm, #6)