Start by marking “The Plan: Big Ideas for America” as Want to Read:
The Plan: Big Ideas for America

The Plan: Big Ideas for America

The Plan offers a bold vision of what America can be. It shows the way for both parties to move beyond the old political arguments and make progress for the American people. And it offers an innovative agenda for America – with ideas that address the nation's most pressing challenges by doing more for Americans and asking Americans to do more for their country in return. E ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by PublicAffairs (first published August 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plan

Russell
Jan 29, 2009 Russell rated it liked it
Shelves: political
So first let me say the Rahm Emanuel looks like every coniving henchman in every political/espionage thriller ever made. He was clearly forged from the molten rock of pure evil. I find the man fascinating. He has a reputation for being unflinchingly partisan and cutthroat and profane and has twice landed himself positions in the whitehouse because of it. So when I saw this book I figured I'd drop the $14 and see what pure unadulterated evil has to say about how to cure what ails our country.

It t
Phil
Mar 09, 2010 Phil rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
"What I learned from this book" was that it is quite disingenious. Emanuel tried to give it that "best for both parties" spin but kept kicking Repubs in the nuts the entire time. A lot of blame-gaming with policies.

I liked some of the ideas but as realpolitik, most would never see the light of day. Washington would eat these alive.

My purpose in reading it had more to do with my fascination with Rahm and what kinds of ideas he had in 2006, which many say provided the foundation for what ideas he
Ryan
Jan 11, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Americans who want to know how their country works
This book is an excellant guide to progressive policy in America. Rahm Emmanuel wrote this book (with Bruce Reed) on how to bring liberal ideas and ideals to the political forefront in 2006 - now he is Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama. Seems like he had a good grip on what was going on in the country. The book is wise and inspiring, and full of hard figures and strong ideas on how to improve this country.
Ben
Nov 14, 2008 Ben rated it liked it
If you cared to know what Rahm Emanuel really thinks about Socialized Medicine and Re-education camps, read this. But if you like Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, and Sarah Palin, you probably don't care what Rahm Emanuel really thinks. So don't read it and keep calling them Socialized Medicine and Re-education camps. Idiots.
Claire S
Interesting comments in this NYT review: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/boo...

Author is President Obama's Chief of Staff.

Seemed very sound-bite-y. Am waiting on optimal moment to see the present as the hopeful future..
Shawn
Nov 05, 2008 Shawn rated it did not like it
It was short enough, but just so dry that I did not get through it. Kind of bitchy; I was hoping for more solution than blame. It is probably there, but Obama's plan is unfolding in front of us daily, and it will not conform Emanuel's ideas because the circumstances have radically changed.
Rekha
Apr 06, 2009 Rekha rated it it was ok
OMG, why did I even read this? It's not horrible or anything, but it is just everything you expect Rahm Emanuel to say and have already heard him say. So why read a book about it? That was a stupid idea.
Khalfani Myrick
Oct 06, 2014 Khalfani Myrick rated it really liked it
Interesting perspective on how to change the nation from Rahm Emanuel. I enjoyed the ideas and vision for the future of this country. But, it read like a marketing piece. If you can get past that, it is a good read.
Jerry Landry
Sep 20, 2010 Jerry Landry rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book. It didn't present any "big ideas" in my humble opinion, just constant reiteration of the theme of "Democrats=Good, Republicans=Bad," which, if you reverse it, you have the rhetoric of those they were arguing against. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Bob Miller
Merde!

A Manifesto from the current crop of deep, fuzzy thinkers. Greetings from Cloud Cuckoo Land.

OK, the chapters on health care and tax policy chapters are worth reading. And hack v. wonk is amusing.
Roger
Roger rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2010
Tyler Windham
Tyler Windham rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Mark Arbogast
Mark Arbogast rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Dano
Dano rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2014
Dan Fulton
Dan Fulton rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2010
Gabe Kearney
Gabe Kearney rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Phillip
Phillip rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Ross Hunter
Ross Hunter rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Ariel
Ariel rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2010
Raffe
Raffe rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Kellyl
Kellyl rated it liked it
May 29, 2008
Shemp DeYoung
Shemp DeYoung rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Kevin Castillo
Kevin Castillo rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Trevor
Trevor rated it really liked it
May 05, 2007
Bob
Bob rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2010
Brendan
Brendan rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Rahm Emanuel is an American politician and the current White House Chief of Staff.

No stranger to the White House, Emanuel served as director of the finance committee for Bill Clinton's presidential campaign, and later as an adviser to President Clinton from 1993-1998. Emanuel worked in the private sector, mainly as an investment banker, before serving on the Board of Directors for Federal Home Loa
More about Rahm Emanuel...