Start by marking “The Plan: Big Ideas for America” as Want to Read:

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Plan offers a bold vision of what America can be. It shows the way for both parties to move beyond the old political arguments and make progress for the American people. And it offers an innovative agenda for America – with ideas that address the nation's most pressing challenges by doing more for Americans and asking Americans to do more for their country in return. E...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by PublicAffairs (first published August 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plan

Russell
So first let me say the Rahm Emanuel looks like every coniving henchman in every political/espionage thriller ever made. He was clearly forged from the molten rock of pure evil. I find the man fascinating. He has a reputation for being unflinchingly partisan and cutthroat and profane and has twice landed himself positions in the whitehouse because of it. So when I saw this book I figured I'd drop the $14 and see what pure unadulterated evil has to say about how to cure what ails our country.

It t...more
Phil
Mar 16, 2010 Phil rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
"What I learned from this book" was that it is quite disingenious. Emanuel tried to give it that "best for both parties" spin but kept kicking Repubs in the nuts the entire time. A lot of blame-gaming with policies.

I liked some of the ideas but as realpolitik, most would never see the light of day. Washington would eat these alive.

My purpose in reading it had more to do with my fascination with Rahm and what kinds of ideas he had in 2006, which many say provided the foundation for what ideas he...more
Ryan
Jan 11, 2009 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Americans who want to know how their country works
This book is an excellant guide to progressive policy in America. Rahm Emmanuel wrote this book (with Bruce Reed) on how to bring liberal ideas and ideals to the political forefront in 2006 - now he is Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama. Seems like he had a good grip on what was going on in the country. The book is wise and inspiring, and full of hard figures and strong ideas on how to improve this country.
Ben
If you cared to know what Rahm Emanuel really thinks about Socialized Medicine and Re-education camps, read this. But if you like Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, and Sarah Palin, you probably don't care what Rahm Emanuel really thinks. So don't read it and keep calling them Socialized Medicine and Re-education camps. Idiots.
Shawn
It was short enough, but just so dry that I did not get through it. Kind of bitchy; I was hoping for more solution than blame. It is probably there, but Obama's plan is unfolding in front of us daily, and it will not conform Emanuel's ideas because the circumstances have radically changed.
Claire S
Interesting comments in this NYT review: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/boo...

Author is President Obama's Chief of Staff.

Seemed very sound-bite-y. Am waiting on optimal moment to see the present as the hopeful future..
Jerry Landry
I could not finish this book. It didn't present any "big ideas" in my humble opinion, just constant reiteration of the theme of "Democrats=Good, Republicans=Bad," which, if you reverse it, you have the rhetoric of those they were arguing against. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Bob Miller
Merde!

A Manifesto from the current crop of deep, fuzzy thinkers. Greetings from Cloud Cuckoo Land.

OK, the chapters on health care and tax policy chapters are worth reading. And hack v. wonk is amusing.
Rekha
OMG, why did I even read this? It's not horrible or anything, but it is just everything you expect Rahm Emanuel to say and have already heard him say. So why read a book about it? That was a stupid idea.
John Julitz
A little dated now, but generally speaking the ideas could still be put into practice.
Khalfani Myrick
Khalfani Myrick is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
Gullik
Gullik marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Todd Holsopple
Todd Holsopple marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
R Seay sr.
R Seay sr. marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
lawra
lawra added it
Jun 08, 2014
Pax Bromana
Pax Bromana marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
MrsG60
MrsG60 marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Jesse Luke
Jesse Luke marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Doyle Beedy
Doyle Beedy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Dbell
Dbell added it
Apr 13, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Mie
Mie added it
Aug 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rahm Emanuel is an American politician and the current White House Chief of Staff.

No stranger to the White House, Emanuel served as director of the finance committee for Bill Clinton's presidential campaign, and later as an adviser to President Clinton from 1993-1998. Emanuel worked in the private sector, mainly as an investment banker, before serving on the Board of Directors for Federal Home Loa...more
More about Rahm Emanuel...