Start by marking “Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)” as Want to Read:
Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)

Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  39,964 Ratings  ·  806 Reviews
In his acclaimed Codex Alera novels, bestselling author Jim Butcher has created a fascinating world in which the elemental forces of nature take physical form and are used for protection. Now, as enemies become allies and friends become bitter foes, a danger beyond reckoning looms for all.
Published November 25th 2008 by Ace Books (first published December 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Captain's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain's Fury

Evgeny
Oct 07, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This installment picks up right where the previous one left, so expect some minor spoilers that I will try to minimize. The rebellion of a High Lord still goes on; the invading force is still present in Alera. Tavi and other regulars of the series are still where they were left in the end of book 3. The High Lord of Alera decided that enough is enough and it is time to abandon the diplomacy and show people his raw power.

What is the problem with this? It left Tavi to deal with diplomacy and resu
Stephen
3.5 stars. Another excellent installment in what has turned out to be an above-average epic fantasy series. The description of the book tells enough about the story that I won't re-hash the plot and will simply point out a few things I like about the story.

The progression of Tavi from young, naive, fury-less Country boy to a veteran, capable, fury-full (is that a word) Captain of the Aleran forces has been thoughful, understandable and well done. I also find myself really liking the characters
Kaitlin
Jun 19, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
To me, this book has been the most fun in the series so far, which is great! I read this as part of the #Rainbowthon and I found myself managing to get through this is just 2 days, very exciting.

This is set in a world where magic is the norm and everyone has at least one weak Fury (kind of a magic spirit). If you are very proficient with the Fury or Furies that you control and use then it's more likely that you're a noble or someone who has a position of power, although some keep the true extent
Josh
Dec 11, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Butcher crafts a compelling fantasy. These are some of the first books in years that have given me chills during some of the more stirring scenes. Can't recommend the series enough. Hail Octavian!
Tom
Mar 30, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Perfection! 5 Every book has gotten better for me and I loved them from the beginning. Instead of a book of theories and questions it was an entire book of ANSWERS! The battle scenes were more condensed and that left more room for personal storylines. LOVE this series!
Kathleen
Nov 18, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tavi still overcomes by depending on his wits and forming strong friendships. A good read, especially aboard the Slive with Captain Demos, and in Alera Imperia with Ambassador Vaug. Cool dueling scene at the end. Tavi learns a few things about himself, and the cause of his inhibited fury-crafting abilities.

Major problem with the characterization of Fidelius. Early in book 1, Gaius told Amara that he suspected FIDELIUS. He knew Fidelius incapable of truly understanding loyalty. He saw portents o
Rob
Executive Summary: While this one didn't live up to my memory of it, it's still a really fun read with a lot to like.

Audio book: At this point, I'm used to Kate Reading as a reader and can't imagine anyone else doing it.

Full Review
I originally maintained my 5 star rating after finishing my reread, but I think if I'm honest and rate it how I would if I were reading it for the first time, it would be a solid 4 star. This book starts and ends really well, but slows down in the middle some.

Like t
ShoSho
Jan 21, 2016 ShoSho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
Reed
Feb 02, 2009 Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The continuing adventures of Tavi and the rest of the crew. If you are a fan of the series, you know what to expect. The characters get into loads of impossible scrapes, only to somehow pull themselves through.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in this series since the second book--I spend the first quarter to third of the book trying to remember who all the characters are, and where the assorted story lines were going. I spend the next third or so thinking "I love Butcher's novels, but I'm not sur
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun, quick read, although a bit predictable. The main character, Tavi, matures further & is slowly coming into his own, which is neat. The interactions with the Camin are interesting - different cultures meeting & clashing. It's nice to see that the 'good' guys aren't always perfect & often, no matter what they do, their options are limited so that they can seem pretty bad. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.
Tosh
Aug 28, 2015 Tosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library-has
An exciting series that gets better with every book.

Tavi has grown so much within these 4 books, discovering some very important things about himself. Most of what he learns has in one way or another been hinted at in previous books, so I don’t really think the discoveries came as much of a surprise. Anticipating when these things would be revealed was still exciting though.

Enemies are far more faithful than friends…more dependable than allies.

Tavi’s interactions with Varg and Nasaug are som
♡Esra♡
Mar 30, 2014 ♡Esra♡ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-6-stars
Yep, this is IT for me. This is why I love Fantasy so much. I have nothing, not one single bad thing to say about this book. I LOVED IT. I can't stress that enough. THIS WAS AMAZING for me. I loved every single second of it.

At some parts it was emotional and I got teary eyed and I loved it. The battle scenes were amazing and if they weren't in this book I wouldn't love it this very much. Every time someone said Hail Gaius Octavian, I loved it AND got the chills. The parts with Canim, loved it.
John
Dec 08, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
What a great read. The series started off as a pretty solid and entertaining read but each subsequent book is better than the last. Captain's Fury continues to show Tavi's growth and continued frustration at his lack of competency in fury-crafting.

More interesting, to me, is that Isana and Fade are built into extremely interesting characters in their own right, as they have a solid plot line all there on. And yet more Bernard and Amara, who are my favorite couple in the series right now.

The big
Sara Price.
Jul 06, 2015 Sara Price. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-owned
Some useless parts but overall an enjoyable read!
Rosanna
Dec 22, 2014 Rosanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Best book in the series so far.
Yodamom
*Spoilers if you have not read the previous books
The short-Tavi's coming of age and power, the First Lord finally makes a move and love shines in Alera, War takes a huge toll.
It's all that and a bucket of chicken !

I feel like I have known Tavi all his life. Well, I have in a literary sense. He has gone from this little insecure child to an awkward teenager to this new confident capable man. He is in his early twenties now and faces some horrible circumstances, he must be the voice and mind of sa
Valerie
May 13, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jim Butcher is a master at crafting fantasy fiction. There is just no other way to say it. This is indisputable fact.

In Captain's Fury, Butcher continues to build the pressure in his master plot. However, the book does a fantastic job of standing on its own legs, telling a complete, and totally engrossing, story. Tavi remains the central character of the book, yet Butcher has woven full tapestries of subplots with his supporting cast of characters. Their stories are just as compelling as Tavi's.
Natasha M.
Kaila
I am not a Codex Alera fan. So far, the star spread is (links lead to the reviews):

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1) - 2 stars
Academ's Fury (Codex Alera #2) - 2 stars
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera #3) - 1 star
And this book, Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) - 2 stars

That's not a very good track record to continue on with. And yet, I'm still reading them. Some deep dark part of me obviously wants to know how the story is going to end, and whether any of these characters are ever going to bite it. So
Dantezgirl

So I think I've figured Butcher's style :) And yeah, looks like we do jump two years for each consecutive books. Dunno if I like that in terms of story wise.

So Octavian and Kitai sound like they've FINALLY done the deed. Kitai FINALLY has her horse. Tavi is still Captain. And the Cane are still roaming, now with ex-slave recruits! No doubt Tavi will win the Aleran folks back to his side. AANNDD sounds like Tavi may just be boinking his Cousin or Step Sister! *Shudders* Eww! (Butcher keeps bangi
Max
Apr 17, 2014 Max rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quite good, quite good. The series just keeps getting better and better with every book, and I am very happy that I still have two books to go.

I read the last 40% of the book in one go on a long train ride, and since there were a bunch of children in the same wagon, I put on some loud music. And I have to say, reading battle scenes while listening to The Classical Conspiracy by Epica is pretty damn epic. So, even though the story itself almost-but-not-quite-warrants a five star, the experience o
Katerina
Jun 02, 2015 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Angie
Nov 25, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy
Recommended to Angie by: the first one was a gift
Things are really changing for Tavi in this book. He's allways thought of himself and also been told that he's an orphan. Well he now knows the truth.

I like how Tavi s character is changing, he's no longer the appreniice sheep farmer on the boarders of his land. But blessings he learned there he uses in his life now. Kitai, his girlfriend is also changing. So for the better, but she's still the wild girl at heart.

So in this, Tavi has got to figure out a way to sort out the Canim invasion, and ne
Chris
Oct 06, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In lieu of just gushing about Jim Butcher's book I'll just spitball some thoughts. (And I'll assume at this point you're familiar with previous books.)

Gaius Sextus takes the field in this one. And previously he was a boss in that everyone said he was B-A so I just interpreted his every action as being awesome. No more. What do you do when one of the High Lords of your realm rise up in rebellion? If you're most people you raise your armies, besiege his cities, retake land etc. If you're Gaius Sex
Becky
Nov 16, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Normally by this point an author might be struggling to keep his audiences attention. But Jim Butcher certainly managed to keep me reading and burning the midnight oil! Admittedly there were some story lines I was far more interested in than others (I'm sorry Amara and Bernard but your misadventure just wasn't as entertaining as Tavi's).

We pick up the story two years after the events of the last book, and Tavi is still in command of the First Aleran legion and he is still fighting off the Canim
Avery
Feb 26, 2015 Avery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-and-read
I am finally finished with this book! My family came over about a week ago and I just haven't been able to get back to it. Then, today came and it just wanted me to finish it, it seemed.

I gotta say, even though I am deeply infatuated with this series, I think this is my least favorite; but that does not demerit my opinions of the first three books. What I do like the most about these books is that even though each book takes place a couple of years after the last book, it reads as if it picked
Mike (the Paladin)
Our hero continues to grow into his destiny and things are brought out into the light for all to see in this book.
Leon Aldrich
Another well written Butcher sword-fest. On to book five!
Enzo
Sep 29, 2014 Enzo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Probably the best so far in the Codex Alera series. At the end of the previous novel Tavi had proven himself a great Captain and a very good military mind. This novel set two years after those events see him as a confident commander of his troops beloved by all and bringing the pressure to the Canim who are not having the expected success they and High Lord Kalera expected. Obviously this is a major issue for Lord Kalera as he was expecting the Canim to drive the Alerans deep into their own terr ...more
trishtrash
A slightly disappointing fourth instalment of Butcher’s enjoyable Codex Alera series; only slightly, as the political and battle focus was as tightly wound and satisfying as in the previous book, Cursor’s Fury which I consider the best in the series so far. Captain’s Fury, however, spends too much time (and time-wasting peril inflicted for the sake of giving the protagonists something to do) with Count Bernard and the Cursor, Amara, escorting the First Lord of the realm through woods, swamp and ...more
Romance Lovers fo...: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) by Jim Butcher [Start: January 18, 2016] 48 14 Jan 21, 2016 08:46PM
WRONG PAGE NUMBER? 1 10 Mar 26, 2015 07:57PM
Buddy Read Zone: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) 88 22 Dec 20, 2014 08:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Page Number 3 25 Sep 26, 2014 08:14AM
Furies and the main charakters 4 97 Oct 20, 2011 05:36PM
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • Imager (Imager Portfolio, #1)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Soul Mirror (Collegia Magica, #2)
  • The Outstretched Shadow (Obsidian Mountain, #1)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Iorich (Vlad Taltos, #12)
  • City of Light (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

“I've never lost a duel to the death. Not one.” 133 likes
“Tavi grinned. "Are you with me?"
"The plan is insane," Ehren said. "YOU are insane." He looked around the inside of the tent. "I'll need some pants.”
49 likes