Start by marking “A picture book of Lewis and Clark” as Want to Read:
A picture book of Lewis and Clark

A picture book of Lewis and Clark (Picture Book Biography)

An introduction to the lives of Lewis and Clark and to the exploratory expedition they led from St. Louis to the Pacific Ocean in the early nineteenth century.
Library Binding, 35 pages
Published 2003 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about A picture book of Lewis and Clark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A picture book of Lewis and Clark

(NS) Dana
This well-illustrated book introduces Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and their most celebrated joint venture. Sandwiched between biographical information on the leaders before and after the journey, a longer section on the expedition shows significant moments as the Corps of Discovery made its way across the continent and back. Even though this is a short book, it does a great job presenting basic information about the Lewis and Clark Expedition, as well as the two men who led it.

Wow, this pi
Amy
This book is a nice treatment of the Lewis and Clark expedition, and is probably aimed at older elementary school children. This book could easily be used as a resource for those kids needing to write reports about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

That said, it was too far outside of my niece's age range to be truly of interest to her. It was a book that I checked out knowing that it would probably be "too old" for her, but I thought that she might get something out of anyway.

She did get somethin
Avery Maxwell
This picture book depicts the expedition of Lewis and Clark as they searched for a Northwest Passage for trading. The illustrations were a little blurry and hard to distinguish which made the book a little less interesting to read but the facts were all there and it would be easy to read to a group of first through third graders. I did not think it was told in a manner which would keep children entertained but perhaps, being a non fiction work, that was not the purpose of the book. I think that ...more
Allen Henderson
Sep 18, 2016 Allen Henderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-350
This is a very short retelling of the Journey of Lewis and Clark and the Corp of Discovery. It gives a page of background to the expedition, Lewis, and Clark, and then gets right to the trip. The highlights are mentioned, and it goes really quickly.

There is a lot that is left out of the story. On one page they are leaving St. Louis, and on the next they are spending the winter with the Mandans. I love the story of the Lewis and Clark. I suppose if you had to leave a lot of the details out to mak
Emily Hamstra
Aug 26, 2012 Emily Hamstra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved learning about Lewis and Clark when I was younger so when I found this picture book biography on them, I couldn't pass it up. It gives illustrations along with informational text on the journey across the continent. It first gives information on Lewis, then a few pages later, the picture book biography introduces Clark. It gives important dates in the back of the book. The only thing that upset me was that the book never mentioned the passing of Sergeant Floyd. Although, it is ...more
Scott Volz
Feb 22, 2012 Scott Volz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This simple yet accurate account of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (with some additional biographical information about the explorers) provides young readers with an excellent introduction to the Corps of Discovery in a format that is unquestionably most lively than a social studies reader. Ronald Himler's watercolor illustrations seem very much in the spirit of the period and work well to reinforce author David Adler's text. Also, the inclusion of a bibliography and further reading suggestions ...more
Kristina Silverbears
This non-fiction work is a good first history book for youngsters, probably 6-8 years of age. The illustrations are detailed enough to keep a younger child interested, but there is too much detail, perhaps, for preschoolers to really absorb. I appreciated the dates and short histories of Lewis, Clark, Jefferson and Sacajawea. Quotes from personal letters and journals filled in the details of their journey. Altogether a pleasant book to borrow from the library.
Megan Ekins
I thought this book was somewhat well done, it is very simply laid out with nice pictures and then a lot of text. The text was fairly basic and simple, the kind of information that I already knew. I don't think I would use this in a classroom because I think you could have a much more exciting adventure of an activity to share the same information.
Morgen Shambaugh
I used this book to teach first graders about lewis and clark and their adventures through the west. Certain pages were too advanced for first graders so I skipped them. But I love this book. It lays out their quest from start to finish in a clear and simple matter.
Judy Desetti
Feb 08, 2014 Judy Desetti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd gr
A short introduction of the Lewis and Clark expedition. A good book to read aloud as either a stepping stone to learning more or as short read to learn about the expedition.
Abby
Apr 07, 2015 Abby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to put it down and when I want to put down a book then well not your best work.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Good start for those researching Lewis and Clark to help develop background info. P.K.
Rebecca Laborde
Rebecca Laborde rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Elaine Cooper
Elaine Cooper rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Alliecat50
Alliecat50 rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Lindsey Feldpausch
Lindsey Feldpausch rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Elke Erickson
Elke Erickson rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2011
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Sofia
Sofia rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Ehron Blomker
Ehron Blomker rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Shivani
Shivani rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2012
Bethany Emmons
Bethany Emmons rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
(NS) Heatherk
(NS) Heatherk rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2009
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
AmandaFields
AmandaFields rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Ashleigh York
Ashleigh York rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...

Picture Book Biography (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln