A picture book of Lewis and Clark

A picture book of Lewis and Clark (Picture Book Biography)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An introduction to the lives of Lewis and Clark and to the exploratory expedition they led from St. Louis to the Pacific Ocean in the early nineteenth century.
Library Binding, 35 pages
Published 2003 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about A picture book of Lewis and Clark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A picture book of Lewis and Clark

(NS) Dana
This well-illustrated book introduces Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and their most celebrated joint venture. Sandwiched between biographical information on the leaders before and after the journey, a longer section on the expedition shows significant moments as the Corps of Discovery made its way across the continent and back. Even though this is a short book, it does a great job presenting basic information about the Lewis and Clark Expedition, as well as the two men who led it.

Wow, this pi...more
Amy
This book is a nice treatment of the Lewis and Clark expedition, and is probably aimed at older elementary school children. This book could easily be used as a resource for those kids needing to write reports about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

That said, it was too far outside of my niece's age range to be truly of interest to her. It was a book that I checked out knowing that it would probably be "too old" for her, but I thought that she might get something out of anyway.

She did get somethin...more
Judy Desetti
A short introduction of the Lewis and Clark expedition. A good book to read aloud as either a stepping stone to learning more or as short read to learn about the expedition.
Avery Maxwell
This picture book depicts the expedition of Lewis and Clark as they searched for a Northwest Passage for trading. The illustrations were a little blurry and hard to distinguish which made the book a little less interesting to read but the facts were all there and it would be easy to read to a group of first through third graders. I did not think it was told in a manner which would keep children entertained but perhaps, being a non fiction work, that was not the purpose of the book. I think that...more
Scott Volz
This simple yet accurate account of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (with some additional biographical information about the explorers) provides young readers with an excellent introduction to the Corps of Discovery in a format that is unquestionably most lively than a social studies reader. Ronald Himler's watercolor illustrations seem very much in the spirit of the period and work well to reinforce author David Adler's text. Also, the inclusion of a bibliography and further reading suggestions...more
Emily Hamstra
I absolutely loved learning about Lewis and Clark when I was younger so when I found this picture book biography on them, I couldn't pass it up. It gives illustrations along with informational text on the journey across the continent. It first gives information on Lewis, then a few pages later, the picture book biography introduces Clark. It gives important dates in the back of the book. The only thing that upset me was that the book never mentioned the passing of Sergeant Floyd. Although, it is...more
Megan Ekins
I thought this book was somewhat well done, it is very simply laid out with nice pictures and then a lot of text. The text was fairly basic and simple, the kind of information that I already knew. I don't think I would use this in a classroom because I think you could have a much more exciting adventure of an activity to share the same information.
Morgen Shambaugh
I used this book to teach first graders about lewis and clark and their adventures through the west. Certain pages were too advanced for first graders so I skipped them. But I love this book. It lays out their quest from start to finish in a clear and simple matter.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Good start for those researching Lewis and Clark to help develop background info. P.K.
Annisaa S.
this book is so interesting
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jul 30, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Shelli
Shelli marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Kelsey Crawford
Kelsey Crawford marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
May 01, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jared Miller
Jared Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Megan Gallishaw
Megan Gallishaw marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then-...more
More about David A. Adler...
The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1) The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3) The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2) The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4) The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14)