Start by marking “Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World” as Want to Read:
Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World

Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In every interaction, every conversation and in every thought, you have a choice - to promote peace or perpetuate violence. International peacemaker, mediator and healer, Dr. Marshall B. Rosenberg shows you how the language you use is the key to enriching life. Take the first step to reduce violence, heal pain, resolve conflicts and spread peace on our planet - by developi...more
Published October 1st 2005 by PuddleDancer Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Speak Peace in a World of Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speak Peace in a World of Conflict

Polly Trout
You only need to read one of Rosenberg's books to learn everything you need to know about Nonviolent Communication, and of the two I think this is the better one -- it is more recent and his thinking is more developed than in the original manifesto, "Nonviolent Communication." Rosenberg's work fascinates me and has been extremely useful to me. I'm working on putting together a workshop for people who work in homeless youth services about how his ideas can help us make our programs more user frie...more
Liberty
In actually, Rosenberg gets 5 stars for the ideas in his book, 3 stars for the quality of his writing, and 1 star for being an intellectual-property a-hole. Yes, Rosenberg actually owns, since the US government is in the business of claiming authority to grant such ownership, the phrase "nonviolent communication," and he demands that nobody use this phrase without paying him for it. But the good news is that he's sharing his socially positive ideas for free. That's right, everybody:

Stop judging...more
Mike Savage
Helped me reconfigure some of my communication styles. Worth the time. I got the impression early in Obama's campaign and somewhat in his early term that he knew of and espoused some of Rosenberg's ideals. Guessing that if true, Obama found the challenge to implement the concepts in such a high voltage political environment challenging if not imposible.
Anna
Mar 27, 2013 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Robin
Shelves: spiritual
The message of this book was wonderful. I have been aware of Non-Violent Communication (NVC), but have not yet had a chance to read the primary book on it. During a discussion about how I would like to do more work in facilitating civil conversation and understanding in our world, the minister who supervises me recommended this book.

Roughly the first half of the book talks about NVC mechanics and how you can apply them in your own life and personal relationships, with some exercises which are me...more
Lisa
I am sneaking reads of this book inbetween a few other books and happy that I am. I like the easy way he writes and incorporates his life into this book. His simple steps to open up communication and understand others. I do wish there was homework or some practice exercise with answers to questions. He is lacking the answers that I am looking for.
Still more to read. I'll let you know if I find my answers.

He is one of my heroes
Todd
This book help me better understand how to empathize and see other people's needs when their actions or words were either positive or negative. It is a book on a process called Nonviolent Communication which has been developed over years of conflict resolution and mediation. The process not only helps with conflicts (inner and outer personal conflicts, social, and global) but it also help me understand our humanly desire to give and help others with their needs.
Stacy
Very good as a thought provoking exercise, but I found myself wanting more instruction. The examples seemed great, like they could have been very educational, but a lot of them were not followed through to conclusion. Only part of the process would be used to illustrate a small point, and then the author would move on with a new concept. I really like the NVC model, and this could be a good intro, but not enough to really make it stick.
Kipahni
This has more practical applications then the other book Rosenburg wrote Nonviolent Communication. A lot of what was shared in Non Violent was again shared in Speak peace, however what made this one better was the expansion of applying this on a more marco level.
Josh
The most entertaining and uplifting of Marshalls work for people who aren't sure if this nonviolence thing has relevance outside of how I talk to my girlfriend.
Ryan
Insightful & informative. I will definitely be applying some of the things I read in this book in my daily life and in my relationship.
Hesham  ellayeh
i read nvc book then followed it by this book in hope of deepen the concepts and aquire the main message
Elzaffa
I think Non Violent Communication is essential to peace. I love it sooo much and soak it up like a spounge!
Meeshelle
Jun 11, 2007 Meeshelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Changed my life
it's all about how you think, communicate, and act
great for peacemaking
Haikaa Yamamoto
Mr Rosenberg's non-violent communication techniques are very clear and profound.
Mike
I think nonviolent communication should be learned by all.
Kraig
All time favorite book! No joke.
Mary Kate
Mary Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Sandra
Sandra added it
Oct 06, 2014
Alma
Alma marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Libby Johnson
Libby Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Tia Schumacher
Tia Schumacher marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Fredrik Lunde
Fredrik Lunde marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Marshall Rosenberg is an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He is the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D....more
More about Marshall B. Rosenberg...
Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication Being Me, Loving You: A Practical Guide to Extraordinary Relationships

“Peace requires something far more difficult than revenge or merely turning the other cheek; it requires empathizing with the fears and unmet needs that provide the impetus for people to attack each other. Being aware of these feelings and needs, people lose their desire to attack back because they can see the human ignorance leading to these attacks; instead, their goal becomes providing the empathic connection and education that will enable them to transcend their violence and engage in cooperative relationships.” 11 likes
“Now, with regard to the people who have done things we call "terrorism," I'm confident they have been expressing their pain in many different ways for thirty years or more. Instead of our empathically receiving it when they expressed it in much gentler ways -- they were trying to tell us how hurt they felt that some of their most sacred needs were not being respected by the way we were trying to meet our economic and military needs -- they got progressively more agitated. Finally, they got so agitated that it took horrible form.” 5 likes