Start by marking “Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World” as Want to Read:
Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World

Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World

In every interaction, every conversation and in every thought, you have a choice - to promote peace or perpetuate violence. International peacemaker, mediator and healer, Dr. Marshall B. Rosenberg shows you how the language you use is the key to enriching life. Take the first step to reduce violence, heal pain, resolve conflicts and spread peace on our planet - by developi ...more
Published October 28th 2005 by PuddleDancer Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Speak Peace in a World of Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speak Peace in a World of Conflict

Polly Trout
Jun 30, 2008 Polly Trout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You only need to read one of Rosenberg's books to learn everything you need to know about Nonviolent Communication, and of the two I think this is the better one -- it is more recent and his thinking is more developed than in the original manifesto, "Nonviolent Communication." Rosenberg's work fascinates me and has been extremely useful to me. I'm working on putting together a workshop for people who work in homeless youth services about how his ideas can help us make our programs more user frie ...more
Liberty
Jan 04, 2008 Liberty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In actually, Rosenberg gets 5 stars for the ideas in his book, 3 stars for the quality of his writing, and 1 star for being an intellectual-property a-hole. Yes, Rosenberg actually owns, since the US government is in the business of claiming authority to grant such ownership, the phrase "nonviolent communication," and he demands that nobody use this phrase without paying him for it. But the good news is that he's sharing his socially positive ideas for free. That's right, everybody:

Stop judging
Mike Savage
Helped me reconfigure some of my communication styles. Worth the time. I got the impression early in Obama's campaign and somewhat in his early term that he knew of and espoused some of Rosenberg's ideals. Guessing that if true, Obama found the challenge to implement the concepts in such a high voltage political environment challenging if not imposible.
Anna
Feb 28, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Robin
Shelves: spiritual
The message of this book was wonderful. I have been aware of Non-Violent Communication (NVC), but have not yet had a chance to read the primary book on it. During a discussion about how I would like to do more work in facilitating civil conversation and understanding in our world, the minister who supervises me recommended this book.

Roughly the first half of the book talks about NVC mechanics and how you can apply them in your own life and personal relationships, with some exercises which are me
Kathleengconverse
I love the core components on NVC and overall really enjoyed this book. I have some concerns about his use of NVC with sexual violence. His examples of using NVC to prevent a sexual assault bordered on victim blaming, and I disagree with his suggestions that survivors should talk to their rapists to resolve the conflict. This is not in line with any kind of trauma informed or survivor centered approach.
Todd
Apr 08, 2010 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book help me better understand how to empathize and see other people's needs when their actions or words were either positive or negative. It is a book on a process called Nonviolent Communication which has been developed over years of conflict resolution and mediation. The process not only helps with conflicts (inner and outer personal conflicts, social, and global) but it also help me understand our humanly desire to give and help others with their needs.
Lisa
Aug 20, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sneaking reads of this book inbetween a few other books and happy that I am. I like the easy way he writes and incorporates his life into this book. His simple steps to open up communication and understand others. I do wish there was homework or some practice exercise with answers to questions. He is lacking the answers that I am looking for.
Still more to read. I'll let you know if I find my answers.

He is one of my heroes
Stacy
Jan 24, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good as a thought provoking exercise, but I found myself wanting more instruction. The examples seemed great, like they could have been very educational, but a lot of them were not followed through to conclusion. Only part of the process would be used to illustrate a small point, and then the author would move on with a new concept. I really like the NVC model, and this could be a good intro, but not enough to really make it stick.
Adam Ross
If you've read *Nonviolent Communication* you probably don't need to read this one, which mostly covers the same ground and in the last couple chapters expands it to a discussion of community healing and communication rather than individual communication. Still, Rosenberg is worth reading and there were genuine insights to be had here.
Kipahni
This has more practical applications then the other book Rosenburg wrote Nonviolent Communication. A lot of what was shared in Non Violent was again shared in Speak peace, however what made this one better was the expansion of applying this on a more marco level.
Anastasia
I needed more concrete examples that.gave the back and forth between participants. The author wrote of problems but no solutions were given.
He also spent most of the time tooting bis own horn. I do not need to be sold on the system I am already reading the book.
Mike Polen
Jan 04, 2013 Mike Polen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think nonviolent communication should be learned by all.
Elzaffa
Apr 20, 2008 Elzaffa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I think Non Violent Communication is essential to peace. I love it sooo much and soak it up like a spounge!
Hesham  ellayeh
i read nvc book then followed it by this book in hope of deepen the concepts and aquire the main message
Kraig
Feb 12, 2009 Kraig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All time favorite book! No joke.
Josh
Oct 15, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most entertaining and uplifting of Marshalls work for people who aren't sure if this nonviolence thing has relevance outside of how I talk to my girlfriend.
Haikaa Yamamoto
Mr Rosenberg's non-violent communication techniques are very clear and profound.
Meeshelle
Jun 11, 2007 Meeshelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Changed my life
it's all about how you think, communicate, and act
great for peacemaking
Brainessa
Brainessa rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2011
Ummzahra
Ummzahra rated it it was ok
May 17, 2008
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2012
Bülent Ünlü
Bülent Ünlü rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2017
Piotr Wegert
Piotr Wegert rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Sonja
Sonja rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Charles Koehler
Charles Koehler rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2017
Shante' Zenith
Shante' Zenith rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2017
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
May 12, 2017
Lori Santiago
Lori Santiago rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • How to Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life’s Final Chapter
  • How to Get Your Point Across in 30 Seconds or Less
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing With Toxic & Difficult to Love Personalities
  • Difficult Personalities: A Practical Guide to Managing the Hurtful Behavior of Others (and Maybe Your Own)
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • Perfect Phrases for Dealing with Difficult People: Hundreds of Ready-to-Use Phrases for Handling Conflict, Confrontations and Challenging Personalities
  • Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion
  • That's Not What I Meant!
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life
  • Tongue Fu!: How to Deflect, Disarm, and Defuse Any Verbal Conflict
  • The 3 Big Questions for a Frantic Family: A Leadership Fable about Restoring Sanity to the Most Important Organization in Your Life
  • Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
  • A Force More Powerful: A Century of Non-violent Conflict
  • The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity
  • Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend
Marshall Rosenberg was an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He was the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D
More about Marshall B. Rosenberg...

“Peace requires something far more difficult than revenge or merely turning the other cheek; it requires empathizing with the fears and unmet needs that provide the impetus for people to attack each other. Being aware of these feelings and needs, people lose their desire to attack back because they can see the human ignorance leading to these attacks; instead, their goal becomes providing the empathic connection and education that will enable them to transcend their violence and engage in cooperative relationships.” 22 likes
“Now, with regard to the people who have done things we call "terrorism," I'm confident they have been expressing their pain in many different ways for thirty years or more. Instead of our empathically receiving it when they expressed it in much gentler ways -- they were trying to tell us how hurt they felt that some of their most sacred needs were not being respected by the way we were trying to meet our economic and military needs -- they got progressively more agitated. Finally, they got so agitated that it took horrible form.” 7 likes