Start by marking “Missing You, Metropolis” as Want to Read:
Missing You, Metropolis

Missing You, Metropolis

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Winner of the 2009 Cave Canem Poetry Prize

The exploits you find in my comics
are no more probable
than snow in Sunnyvale.
I’m not as black as you dream.
—from “Luke Cage Tells It Like It Is

With humor and the serious collector’s delight, Gary Jackson imagines the comic-book worlds of Superman, Batman, and the X-Men alongside the veritable worlds of Kansas, racial isol
Published October 26th 2010 by Graywolf Press

To ask other readers questions about Missing You, Metropolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing You, Metropolis

Michelle
This book makes for great discussion whether one likes it (as in has an affinity for comic books, etc) or does not. It's an interesting concept and I'm glad to see Jackson's effort realized in a complete book.

It is not necessarily the language and the weaving of comic book characters that prompted me to give Missing You, Metropolis 4 stars; it's the lines that stick with me the day after I'd read them. I'm left thinking about the nature of the lines whether my reaction is negative, positive, vis
David Fairbanks
Whether you’re a poet or a comics fan, you’ll likely get a whole lot out of Missing You, Metropolis, but I’d recommend dog-earing the pages of the poems you dig so that you can easily go back to them and avoid the ones that feel like filler. Particular favorites include “Iron Man’s Intervention, Starring the Avengers” as well as two poems about prominent black superheroes, “Storm on Display” and “Luke Cage Tells It Like It Is,” both of which tackle the ideas of blackness in comics and the proble ...more
Jessie Carty
I had a hard time deciding if I was going to review this book because I love the concept, but I came away unsure about how I felt about the book as a whole.

The collection opens strong with a poem about comics, including a shout out to Auden. I also loved the voice in the poem "Stuart" but as women started to appear in the book things became a bit uncomfortable for me.

The women, even the super hero ones, come across merely as sex objects or at least that is how I felt reading about Mystique, Daz
Wes
I hope that if Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson's character from Unbreakable) had grown up to be a poet instead of a mass-murdering comic art dealer, he'd have produced a book as good as this.

--If the title and cover art don't bring it home for you, you'll quickly realize that this collection is built around a deep and lifelong passion for comic books. Spiderman, Ironman, The Watchmen, Professor X, and of course Supes & the Caped crusader are all either referenced or utilized as astonishingly ef
Ryan Smith
As a rule based on experience, I tend to be skeptical and cautious toward any book that has won an award or come out of a press that sees itself as some kind of virtuous enclave; whether this is based upon race, gender, aesthetic or whatever else, more often than not I encounter such books and feel disappointed. Disappointed because as an admitted cynic, it can be very difficult to sort out of the question of how much the editor(s) found the book of genuinely powerful artistic merit and how much ...more
Robert Risher
I picked up this book expecting something cheesy and juvenile, though probably funny whether intentional or not, being that so much of it was based around comics with which I was familiar, but I was pleasantly surprised at the depth and emotion Jackson reached with works both inspired by comics and not. He transitions well between tales of race relations, old age, and romance, and while I'm not usually sold on poetic styles similar to what Jackson consistently uses here, he often builds a defini ...more
Rainey
The best collection of new poetry I've read in quite some time. I could not help from writing comments throughout my advanced copy--
"pop culture without pretension; beautiful and tragic, an elegant yet relate-able account of life's happenings; brash but comical; excellent, the notion of art as a series of lies; startling evidence of persistent humanity."
Megan RFA
Jackson is certainly inspired, that much is plain, but his execution is poor at times. A few of the poems, like "Magneto Eyes Strange Fruit" and "After the Green" are brilliant. Unfortunately, most of the others did not resonate with me. I felt his language could have striven further, or been more earnest. I'm curious to read more of his work.
Kala
I really loved this collection of poetry, the book was impossible to put down and I finished it in one sitting. I'm just getting over a lifelong aversion to poetry and I'm glad I picked this book up, I recommend it to anyone who is new to poetry or is a bit of a comic book geek!
William
An interesting book of poetry. Jackson mixes adult themes and childhood memories. He uses the idea of comic book heroes, but underneath it there is the struggle to be the real superhero in his own life, to separate from other narratives that society might have for him (e.g. drugs).
Christine McK
Great book of poetry. Because of my lack of experience with comics and graphic novels I was lost numerous times to specific poem references. Definitely had to google many people of the comic book world. Great poems though, raw and real.
Michael Borshuk
A splendid debut. Jackson offers a deft mix of the personal and the broad, in a thematically tight collection about grieving, loneliness, and--well--comic books.
emily
my dear friend mr. gary mf-ing jackson wrote this book. everyone should read it, ever. even if you don't like poems, you know you like super heroes. come on, you do.
Sara
Fantastic poems! Met the author in a Genres class and he is just a great person in general.
Allison
I loved this book! Wonderful poems!
Jordan Ashleigh
Jordan Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Lana
Lana added it
May 11, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Courtney Zellars
Courtney Zellars marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Jerod Duris
Jerod Duris marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Nauman
Nauman marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • Kingdom Animalia
  • The Poets' Grimm: 20th Century Poems from Grimm Fairy Tales
  • Dearest Creature
WINNER OF THE CAVE CANEM POETRY PRIZE, SELECTED BY YUSEF KOMUNYAKAA

GARY JACKSON was born and raised in Topeka, Kansas. He received his MFA from the University of New Mexico and has taught in Albuquerque and in Anyang, South Korea."
More about Gary Jackson...
The Only War They Had Better Body Better Health Home Users Guide to Naturopathic Remedies Performance MindSet Six Little Know Rules To Achieving Success From Hello Girls to Cell Phones