Start by marking “Laugh Your Way to Grace: Reclaiming the Spiritual Power of Humor” as Want to Read:
Laugh Your Way to Grace: Reclaiming the Spiritual Power of Humor

Laugh Your Way to Grace: Reclaiming the Spiritual Power of Humor

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Laughter the GPS System for the Soul

Laughter was honored by the ancients as a spiritual healing tool and celebrated by the world's great religions. So why aren t we laughing along the spiritual path today? What would happen if we did?

In this personal and funny look at humor as a spiritual practice, Rev. Susan Sparks an ex-lawyer turned comedian and Baptist minister present
Published May 1st 2010 by Skylight Paths Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Laugh Your Way to Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laugh Your Way to Grace

Pammy
An attorney turned minister who does stand-up comedy. Now who wouldn't listen to what SHE has to say about the spiritual power of humor??!!
She clarifies from the beginning that when she refers to God, she means Yahweh, Allah, Buddha, Jesus, Brahman, the Great Spirit, Mother Earth & any other way the reader encounters God. That caught my attention and held it, along with her amazing gift of selecting a wide range of quotes: from Winnie the Pooh, Oscar Wilde and Picasso to King Solomon, 16th c
Cheryl Bedgood
Laughter is the best medicine

A great self-help book for those who want a greater spiritual journey. Light our path with the flashlight of joy and a beaming smile.
Maureen
I thought the book made wonderful insights to how we as humans have taken the spiritual realm into a deep and dark place which I hink like the author did isn't what our creator intented. It gives new life to a ersons spiritual path and growth making you think that even in the blessing of the gift of humor we can use it to enlighten the soul, heal the heart the mingd and the body. Very spiritual uplifting and encoraging to those whom have been on the path a long time and have lost faith and the s ...more
Annie
This book was a little slow for me in the beginning, but I ended up laughing out loud multiple times. Now I often think about different quotes and topics from this book and haves shared about it with many people because it is so relevant.
Susan Sparks
Mar 07, 2014 Susan Sparks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is AMAZING. Oh okay, so I wrote it :0 Hope you guys enjoy reading it and find some pearls of wisdom for the road ahead.
Tom
I really LOVED this book. It was filled with humor, spiritual insights, not so spiritual insights, and lots of enthusiastic FUN. Susan Sparks is the only female stand-up comedian with a pulpit. I bet she keeps her church in New York City laughing and having a good time. At the same time Sparks entertains she also teaches about important issues like the nature of God, dealing with death, facing severe disappointment, etc. etc.
Carol
A lot of good stuff in this book, to read and reread. Full of humor and inspiration.
Sunshine
Fast read, but added nothing meaningful to my life. This message might be more healing to someone who had grown up thinking humor didn't belong in church. Most of the pastors I've known have had a great sense of humor. Also, the author is so careful to try to include all spiritual experience and religions in he audience that everything just comes off sounding very vague.
Barbara
For a book by a former comedian and about laughter, it is disappointingly lacking in humor. The message could have been gotten across in a brief article rather than this long and repetitive sermon.
NancyL Luckey
This is one of our United Methodist Women's Reading Program books. There are several quotes in it that spoke to me.
"The will of God is never seen in tragedies. The will of God is seen in our response to tragedy."
"When God speaks, it is a good idea to listen. When someone else tells you God spoke, best double check."
A quick and thought-provoking read.
Smart, fun, helpful....funny.
James Klagge
I have an on-going interest in humor and its place in life. This is written by a stand-up comic who is a second-career preacher. It reads like a long speech by a motivational speaker on the value of humor in life. Amusing but not profound. But I did borrow it from a church library, so no cost!
Jamie
What a great outlook on life! I read about this book in O magazine and knew I had to get it. So glad I did. Great stories that make you think why do we take religion so seriously. What if we did laugh out loud sometimes? I loved the story of Rev. Sparks attempting to check in to the hotel.
Arlene
This book is really funny. As a Progressive Christian and Quaker, this speaks to me as to the importance of laughter in our lives, and laughter during the sorrows of our lives.
Dot
Jul 13, 2010 Dot added it
Female Pastor, Lawyer, Stand up comedian who looks at life through a different lense. Irreverent and wonderfu.
Mike Graef
Liked it very much! A little too much on the philosophy of humor, and not enough laughs. My only criticism.
Margaret Elder
An easy read with some great quotes and insights on psychological advantages of humor.
Sunni
I like the idea of this book and quite a few of the quotes...but not a great read for me.
Peggy Parsons
It's okay to laugh. In fact, it's good for you. The author explains why.
Martina
Faith and grace what better combinationa! I like this book alot.
Charity
Good message but not well written
Wendy Dawn
Meh -- Good principles, okay read.
Janeen
Love, love, love this book.
Janice G
Janice G marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Charlotte Powers
Charlotte Powers is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
America's only female standup comedian with a pulpit, Susan Sparks is the senior pastor of the historic Madison Avenue Baptist Church in NYC (and the first woman pastor in its 165 year history). She is also an author, an inspirational speaker and a professional comedian currently touring with a standup Rabbi and a Muslim comic in the nationally acclaimed "Laugh in Peace Tour."

Her work with humor
More about Susan Sparks...
Crochet A Cozy: Awesome Crochet Patterns For Making Creative Little Cozies Law of Attraction: Happy Wealthy Healthy