Start by marking “Thunder Point” as Want to Read:
Thunder Point

Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,576 ratings  ·  80 reviews

1945. The day before Hitler commits suicide, he arranges for Nazi leader Martin Bormann to flee to South America in a German U-boat.
1992. Terrorist Sean Dillon is saved from a Yugoslavian firing squad if he agrees to help the British government retrieve the long-lost documents of Martin Bormann. The wreck of Bormann’s U-boat has been discovered in the Caribbean, along with

Published September 1st 1994 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published June 23rd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder Point

M.A. McRae
I've read some great books by Jack Higgins, others that were quite reasonable, but not worth adding to my permanent library. This was the first time I've read one that was frankly poor. So OK, if you just read and never think about how likely it is, you might still like it, but really...

SPOILER ALERT: Our heroes know that the opposition are murderous, Dillon has already been run off the road and shot at, the nastiest one has dropped rotting fish bait over where they were diving in order to attra
#2 in the Sean Dillon series. Sean Dillon, the former IRA gunman, escaped from Brigadier Ferguson and his Group 4 after a mortar attack on No. 10 Downing Street, Eye of the Storm (1992). Now he has been captured and imprisoned in Serbia after flying in humanitarian medication. Ferguson makes a deal to have him released if he will offer his talents to Group 4 in a bid to recover Nazi documents from a newly found submarine in the Virgin Islands.

Sean Dillon series - Nazi lieutenant Martin Bormann e
I really enjoyed listening to the Audible book. The narrator was very skilled at providing voices for each of the characters including the dialects that Dillon chose to use.

The book opens at the close of WW II in Hitler's bunker. He has given a briefcase with money, numbered bank accounts in several different countries, a list of high ranking Nazi sympathyzers from other countries, and the Windsor protocol to Martin Borrman with instructions that he is to leave and keep the dream alive in South
Samuel Tyler
Before Sean Dillon books became the literacy equivalent of a sausage machine churning out the same thing over and over again, they were actually pretty good. ‘Thunder Point’ is the second in the Dillon series and it works because it does not feel yet as if Jack Higgins was planning to flog the books until the apocalypse. In the timeframe of ‘Thunder’, Dillon is not yet one of Ferguson’s allies and instead starts off as a mercenary. This novel explains how he jumped from being IRA man to British ...more
Of all the Jack Higgins books I've read, this is by far my favorite. Action, suspense, and the best setting for any book--the Caribbean! Great dive scenes for anyone into diving.
i had this love-hate relationship with Sean Dillon...but he was pretty compassionate and totally good in this one.i love his black Irish humour!!
Ian Simpson
There's a lot wrong with this book: repetition of 'tremendous'; having the Virgin Islands ahead of London, time-wise, instead of the other way round; the stupid fool-hardiness of allegedly intelligent characters; an important character 'enjoying' a drink soon after a disastrous reverse; wooden dialogue... I could go on.
But did I enjoy it? Well, yes I did actually. It's what used to be called a 'ripping yarn'. Higgins is a first-class storyteller, and he will have made a fortune for his publisher
No, 2 in the Sean Dillon series has Brigadier Charles Ferguson arranging Dillon's release from prison and an impending firing squad in Yugoslavia to work for him in the recovery of Documents found in a sunken German Submarine in the Virgin Islands. The British want the Documents which contain among other things the names of high ranking British Nazi sympathizers. Others are after the papers as well and the usual fights and chases ensue. I have found Higgins' books to always be readable and I hav ...more
Ryan Quaranta
I just finished reading Thunder Point by Jack Higgins. It is book number 2 in the series about Sean Dillon. The book was an action packed book where there was a twist around every corner. It takes a turn when he is recruited by the British government.

My favorite part was when Sean Dillon was released out of prison by the British government to help them with a mission. It is my favorite part because in the first book they are hunting him down. In this book they need his help.
Bryan Crossland
I found the protagonists to be rather dull. Always a step behind the villian, but so obviously behind the villian it seemed like a bad plot device. They knew they were being outmanuevered, yet commited such common errors it infuriated me. These were special ops people and yet they couldn't think 3 steps ahead even if their lives depended on it. Ugh
James Murphy
A much better read than the previous Sean Dillon novel, "Eye of the Storm." While Dillon may have a skill set better suited to crime and terrorism, he puts it to good use in this story of potentially damaging Nazi documents and the efforts to keep these documents from falling into the wrong hands. A good fast-paced read for a rainy weekend.
Mark Pare
Truly a disappointment. The storyline is very predictable, the characters cliches, holes in the logic of characters that is just absurd. For professionals they make too many mistakes. Ferguson is useless in the field. This is harsh criticism but the book just is not worth reading and i have enjoyed many higgins books. This and east of desolation are ones you can skip.
This was a light summer read. I felt the heroes here were very obtuse and the villains were always a couple of steps ahead of them. Even I, a mother of four, with no espionage training at all could have anticipated some of the tricks and treason these clowns pulled. That being said, it was entertaining. Not as good as other Higgins books I have read.
Doug Dams
I wondered how you make a remorseless IRA killer into a hero. In this book I found out how. Sean Dillon is rescued from a Yugoslavian firing squad by the head of a British intelligence unit called group 4. He's been recruited to help recover nazi documents from a sunken U-boat in the Caribean and of course stop a nazi group from recovering them. The documents expose the pro-nazi sympathies of famous Britians and Americans. The book is a good read. Lots of action and fast paced, plus there's the ...more
Chris Bridson
It's okay. It's fairly well-written and it's a fast read. Things get kind of silly towards the end with vulnerable, important characters walking around unprotected. Then they fail to act further on the monumental documents they recovered. Overall, you're not missing much.
This, the second in the Sean Dillon series, contains plenty of likable characters and a fun plot, and the settings--both above and beneath the water--are a treat. The only downside is that there are once again just too many eye-rolling (as in massively dumb) decisions being made by the characters, and almost all of the plot developments served by those dumb decisions could have been achieved without making the characters appear to be so dense. Still, a fun read, and I admit that I'm hooked. Dill ...more
A good fast paced read. As some will say, "could never happen", I say who cares. One of those stories I finished in a few days of off and on reading. Reading is entertainment, is it not? More of a 7 on my ten point scale.
Raman Nv
Being a Higgins first timer I really loved this book. It's action packed and the language is very easy. I find the easiness in language as a very good quality in a book, since I am yet to master advanced English.
This is the first Jack Higgins book that I have read – Sherryl brought it home from the Jr. High Library to read over the holidays. Most of the thrillers that I have read have either been techno-thrillers such as Rollins’ Sigma Force and Golemon’s Event Group; or Dan Brown type novels such as Berry’s Amber Room & Templar Legacy or Neville's The Eight. This was just a good old mercenary/spy novel. I enjoyed the writing and action and appreciated that there were no risqué scenes (I guess most ...more
A friend gave me this and I did not hold out very high hopes for it, but I found it more interesting and compelling than I had expected. The main characters were fairly rounded and their relationships explored to some extent, whilst retaining its main thrust of action thriller. It did not rely on surprise or being unable to anticipate the events but yet managed by pace and skillful writing to carry one along with the story.
OK the intelligence agents show little intelligence, but I suspect this
Ruben Young
Interesting but very action oriented, at times I felt there was a bit too much senseless shooting and explosions but a lack of plot
Christopher Vale
I read this in the Virgin Islands which is where the story takes place. That was really cool. Good and fast paced. You won't be bored that's for sure.
Kevin Hammond
After having read this 18 years ago, I downloaded the audiobook to my iPhone from my local library for a 12-hour road trip. The narrator, Christian Rodska, makes the story come alive with his incredible ability to switch voices, accents and dialects effortlessly. In this the second of a nineteen book series, Sean Dillon, a former IRA gunman is 'persuaded' to work for the British government taking on the task of rescuing highly sensitive documents from a recently discovered WWII U-Boat, and at gr ...more
Anne Thorpe
I love the Sean Dillon series. This one is a worthy addition to the series if you are a fan. If the series isn't to your taste, then you will hate it. Suffice to say I tore thru the book in two days...I really enjoy the books!
Brilliant loved it. It finished the background as to how Sean Dillon ended up working for Brigadier Ferguson. They are a really good combination together. Loads of fun and easy to read I really enjoyed that.
Full of intrigue; fictional accounting of the survival of Bormann, Hitlers's second in command who was given free passage out of Germany as World War II ended. It was a fictional accounting of whether he made it to South American as has alway remain a mystery.

Interesting perspective on a very Historial time.

I learned that many English and American politcians and corporations sided with Hitler in his quest to convert the world to his view point.

Jack Higgins writes many good books mostly dealing
Interesting, like the characters portrayal. Good mystery and action
Ray Melville
Super, fast paced adventure novel.
Stupid, stupid, stupid 5 36 Aug 27, 2014 09:22PM
  • Seawitch
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • Silent Partner
  • Trevayne: A Novel
  • Most Secret
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • Spy Sinker (Bernard Samson, #6)
  • The Altman Code (Covert-One, #4)
  • The Fireman
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection
  • Day of Reckoning
  • Edge of Danger
  • Midnight Runner
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)