Thunder Point

Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,989 ratings  ·  62 reviews

1945. The day before Hitler commits suicide, he arranges for Nazi leader Martin Bormann to flee to South America in a German U-boat.
1992. Terrorist Sean Dillon is saved from a Yugoslavian firing squad if he agrees to help the British government retrieve the long-lost documents of Martin Bormann. The wreck of Bormann’s U-boat has been discovered in the Caribbean, along with

Published September 1st 1994 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published June 23rd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder Point

M.A. McRae
I've read some great books by Jack Higgins, others that were quite reasonable, but not worth adding to my permanent library. This was the first time I've read one that was frankly poor. So OK, if you just read and never think about how likely it is, you might still like it, but really...

SPOILER ALERT: Our heroes know that the opposition are murderous, Dillon has already been run off the road and shot at, the nastiest one has dropped rotting fish bait over where they were diving in order to attra...more
Lg
Pat
Of all the Jack Higgins books I've read, this is by far my favorite. Action, suspense, and the best setting for any book--the Caribbean! Great dive scenes for anyone into diving.
Sylvia
i had this love-hate relationship with Sean Dillon...but he was pretty compassionate and totally good in this one.i love his black Irish humour!!
Ian Simpson
There's a lot wrong with this book: repetition of 'tremendous'; having the Virgin Islands ahead of London, time-wise, instead of the other way round; the stupid fool-hardiness of allegedly intelligent characters; an important character 'enjoying' a drink soon after a disastrous reverse; wooden dialogue... I could go on.
But did I enjoy it? Well, yes I did actually. It's what used to be called a 'ripping yarn'. Higgins is a first-class storyteller, and he will have made a fortune for his publisher...more
Mark Pare
Truly a disappointment. The storyline is very predictable, the characters cliches, holes in the logic of characters that is just absurd. For professionals they make too many mistakes. Ferguson is useless in the field. This is harsh criticism but the book just is not worth reading and i have enjoyed many higgins books. This and east of desolation are ones you can skip.
Doug Dams
I wondered how you make a remorseless IRA killer into a hero. In this book I found out how. Sean Dillon is rescued from a Yugoslavian firing squad by the head of a British intelligence unit called group 4. He's been recruited to help recover nazi documents from a sunken U-boat in the Caribean and of course stop a nazi group from recovering them. The documents expose the pro-nazi sympathies of famous Britians and Americans. The book is a good read. Lots of action and fast paced, plus there's the...more
Chris Bridson
It's okay. It's fairly well-written and it's a fast read. Things get kind of silly towards the end with vulnerable, important characters walking around unprotected. Then they fail to act further on the monumental documents they recovered. Overall, you're not missing much.
Jim
This, the second in the Sean Dillon series, contains plenty of likable characters and a fun plot, and the settings--both above and beneath the water--are a treat. The only downside is that there are once again just too many eye-rolling (as in massively dumb) decisions being made by the characters, and almost all of the plot developments served by those dumb decisions could have been achieved without making the characters appear to be so dense. Still, a fun read, and I admit that I'm hooked. Dill...more
Raman Nv
Being a Higgins first timer I really loved this book. It's action packed and the language is very easy. I find the easiness in language as a very good quality in a book, since I am yet to master advanced English.
Douglas
This is the first Jack Higgins book that I have read – Sherryl brought it home from the Jr. High Library to read over the holidays. Most of the thrillers that I have read have either been techno-thrillers such as Rollins’ Sigma Force and Golemon’s Event Group; or Dan Brown type novels such as Berry’s Amber Room & Templar Legacy or Neville's The Eight. This was just a good old mercenary/spy novel. I enjoyed the writing and action and appreciated that there were no risqué scenes (I guess most...more
Gill
A friend gave me this and I did not hold out very high hopes for it, but I found it more interesting and compelling than I had expected. The main characters were fairly rounded and their relationships explored to some extent, whilst retaining its main thrust of action thriller. It did not rely on surprise or being unable to anticipate the events but yet managed by pace and skillful writing to carry one along with the story.
OK the intelligence agents show little intelligence, but I suspect this...more
Kevin Hammond
After having read this 18 years ago, I downloaded the audiobook to my iPhone from my local library for a 12-hour road trip. The narrator, Christian Rodska, makes the story come alive with his incredible ability to switch voices, accents and dialects effortlessly. In this the second of a nineteen book series, Sean Dillon, a former IRA gunman is 'persuaded' to work for the British government taking on the task of rescuing highly sensitive documents from a recently discovered WWII U-Boat, and at gr...more
Anne Thorpe
I love the Sean Dillon series. This one is a worthy addition to the series if you are a fan. If the series isn't to your taste, then you will hate it. Suffice to say I tore thru the book in two days...I really enjoy the books!
Rebecca
Brilliant loved it. It finished the background as to how Sean Dillon ended up working for Brigadier Ferguson. They are a really good combination together. Loads of fun and easy to read I really enjoyed that.
Annette
Full of intrigue; fictional accounting of the survival of Bormann, Hitlers's second in command who was given free passage out of Germany as World War II ended. It was a fictional accounting of whether he made it to South American as has alway remain a mystery.

Interesting perspective on a very Historial time.

I learned that many English and American politcians and corporations sided with Hitler in his quest to convert the world to his view point.

Jack Higgins writes many good books mostly dealing...more
Marianne
Interesting, like the characters portrayal. Good mystery and action
Richard
This was my third Higgins novel on the trot, but the worst. It was ok, very well written, but holes in the plot you could drive a container ship through. The main character, Sean Dillon, an ex-IRA baddie in the previous novel suddenly ends up working for a special team, sanctioned by the UK Prime Minister. Once you get your head round this quantum change in sides, he then becomes a hero that everybody loves (except the bad guys). I am a big fan of Higgins, but he has written better.
Sharon
First of the "final" version of author's Sean Dillon character. The books are fairly only (1990s) so may be difficult to find at local library. The characters and plots are somewhat James Bond type story based and often a bit unbelievable. However, I've found them to be a nice, easy, and quick diversion from some of the more realistic books even though I often smile at how outlandish the scenarios occasionally are. IWouldn't want to read too many in a row.
Annette
Full of intrege; fictional accounting of the survival of Bormann, Hitlers's second in command who was given free passage out of Germany as World War II ended. It was a fictional accounting of whether he made it to South American as has alway remain a mystery.

Interesting perspective on a very Historial time.

I learned that many English and American politcians sided with Hitler in his quest to convert the world to his view point.
Linda
Perhaps you've met terrorist Sean Dillon if you've read some of Higgins' other books. In this story his nemesis Brigadier Charles Ferguson, high up in British intelligence, actually recruits Dillon to help him find documents hidden in a sunken German U boat in the Virgin Islands. The characters are well differentiated and one soon gets caught up in the race between the good guys and the bad guys to capture the documents.

Jamie
This was an excellent premise. A good Higgins novel.
Alain Dewitt
Not one of Higgins' better efforts. The plot was serviceable but not particularly complex, thrilling or original. Characters weren't particularly well-developed. His main character, Sean Dillon, is pretty much a carbon copy of Liam Devlin from 'The Eagle Has Landed'. In fact, Dillon even cribs one of Devlin's lines.

If you want to read Higgins, check out the aforementioned 'The Eagle Has Landed' or 'Storm Warning'.
Joan
Dillon is a military man for hire. He is offered a job by Admiral Ferguson who will clear his many crimes, if Dillon will help to find a German U-boat from WWII that has info about the parents of important people in England whose parents supported the Nazis. Dillion finds himself in danger as well as everyone around him. Many people die. Dillon outsmarts the Nazi sympathizer to bring the documents back to England.
Greer Andjanetta
A better than average mystery thriller (as one expects from Jack Higgins) about the surprise discovery of a sunken German submarine in the Caribbean containing a sealed briefcase belonging to Martin Bormann. The briefcase contains incriminating documents about the wartime activities of many English nobles, including the Duke of Windsor, and the attempts by various interested parties to recover them.
Pete
Those who enjoyed The Eagle Has Landed will be very disappointed with this novel. There is very little to recommend here. The character development is weak and the story has no depth as the author did not even go to the effort of creating any sub plots. It appears at though Higgins knocked this one off in an afternoon trying to meet a publishers quota.
Richard
The second in the Sean Dillon series, and I enjoyed it much more than the first. Dillon an ex IRA mercenary for hire, seems to be developing a conscience and works with the Brits to recover some documents that would prove embarrassing if discovered. Much of the story takes place in the US Virgin Islands of St. John and St. Thomas.
Marc
My first experience with Jack Higgins was with The Eagle Has Landed and I was enthralled. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy all of the other Jack Higgins novels I've read, none have left me quite as enthusiastic as that first read. Either way, I still enjoy Higgins' novels and this one was not disappointing.
Tom Barnes
Oct 25, 2008 Tom Barnes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes a fast paced action adventure
Recommended to Tom by: I found it, I like Higgins

When Sean Dillon and Brigadier Charles Ferguson are put on the hunt for a sunken WW II German Submarine containing lists of Nazi sympathizers and a protocol signed by the Duke of Windsor you’ve got a recipe for mystery that’s fit for a King. Light read, lots of good underwater action.
Kathy
Just finished a cd of Thunder point in my car. It's the usual Jack Higgins thriller but I do enjoy them. Constant action. Has the usual bad guy who's really a good guy. Lots of vile villains. And Brigadier General Charles Ferguson pulling strings in the background. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Stupid, stupid, stupid 4 28 Apr 28, 2014 02:24PM
  • Seawitch
  • Most Secret
  • Silent Partner
  • The Matarese Countdown (Matarese #2)
  • The Deceiver
  • Goodbye Mickey Mouse
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton, #6)
  • Cold Kill (Dan Shepherd, #3)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3) The Eagle Has Flown