Start by marking “Chanterelle Dreams, Amanita Nightmares: The Love, Lore, and Mystique of Mushrooms” as Want to Read:

2011 Winner, International Association of Culinary Professionals Jane Grigson Award2011 Finalist, International Association of Culinary Professionals in the Culinary History categoryThroughout history, people have had a complex and confusing relationship with mushrooms. Are fungi food or medicine, beneficial decomposers or deadly "toadstools" ready to kill anyone foolhardy ...more
Published September 9th 2010 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published July 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Chanterelle Dreams, Amanita Nightmares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chanterelle Dreams, Amanita Nightmares

Owlseyes
Dec 26, 2015 Owlseyes marked it as to-read

Been a warm day. So warm butterflies could be seen fluttering, even a little snake I caught on camera.

What a winter....,
winter, really?

hellaD
May 27, 2011 hellaD rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, I just wish I lived on the East coast! Very amazing recipes in this book as well as great details on how to dry or freeze or otherwise store a large mushroom harvest. This guy really knows how to eat a mushroom. I really appreciate that he isn't shy to use healthy amounts of butter. Some of the recipes are very traditional.

It is also fantastic the amount of information he provides about mushrooms from the truffles to the bioluminescence of mushrooms to the psycadelic properties.
Timothy
May 19, 2013 Timothy rated it really liked it
I gave this 4 stars even though it's not especially well written. It is a great beginner's guide to the world of mushrooms, covering all of the areas in which I was interested. He cites personal experience along with a decent amount of scientific literature, and he provides a helpful reading list for delving deeper into specific topics. I doubt there is a better introductory text for the field.
Kelly
Aug 10, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: food, science
I'm still not convinced that "deadwoodology" is a word.
Kiya
Oct 04, 2011 Kiya rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I love mushrooms and this has great mushroom stories.
John Cabral
Mar 04, 2015 John Cabral rated it liked it
Before I get into this review, if you have no interest in mushrooms-- that is, identifying, foraging or even some history of mushrooms-- then please skip this review!

With that said, Chanterelle Dreams, Amanita Nightmares is a decent book. It didn't quite work for me, but it was good. I just don't think I'm the right audience for this book. Maybe I'm not the right audience for any mushroom book.

For a little perspective on how I judge this book... Tala and I took a mushroom identifying workshop la
J.S.
Jun 23, 2015 J.S. rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening, vine
If you're like me you probably grew up afraid of mushrooms and being told by grownups to wash your hands after you'd touched an "inky cap" (aka Shaggy Mane). I was even apprehensive of the little brown things that came on pizzas. But occasionally I'd see more than just the usual mushrooms in the lawn pop up on a dead log or in a neglected corner of the yard, and there was always something oddly interesting about them. Greg Marley knows how we feel, and has taken it upon himself to educate others ...more
Max
Aug 07, 2016 Max rated it liked it
This book is a great introduction to lots of different topics regarding mushrooms & fungi in general. Marley does a good job making some of the more technical mycological material in the book appealing to readers who may just be interested in learning more about their favorite mushrooms and how to find them. Unfortunately, rather than committing to a book-length exploration of the topic, Marley breaks it down into bite-sized chunks, which effectively serve as standalone essays—I suppose he ...more
David
Apr 11, 2012 David rated it liked it
Shelves: shiraz
Currently at page 66. Good, easy to read educational book. My only disappointment so far is the lack of photos. Very hard to try and describe mushrooms without lots of photos but then this is not a full on identification guide but rather "An enticing invitation into the fungal realm, accessible and a pleasure to read" as reviewed by Katz on the back of the book. The title tells a lot.
And now, a week later, tis read.
An enjoyable read for what most people are likely to find is a very "dry" subjec
Elizabeth
Jun 20, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Very interesting! Goes through a brief history of people using fungi for medicine, food, recreational and spiritual purposes. Examines the most edible of fungi and the most poisonous. Encourages us to be curious not scared of fungi. For those who wish to forage for wild mushrooms he gives you guidelines-mainly to take care to identify the mushrooms correctly, not to take chances (If in doubt, throw it out!) and to take your time to get to know all types of fungi, not just the edible ones. He ...more
Hester
Jan 12, 2012 Hester rated it really liked it
A well written survey of the kingdom of mushrooms. Marley covers edible mushrooms, psychoactive mushrooms, bioluminescent mushrooms, cultivated mushrooms, and mushrooms as keystone species. This is an overview of mushrooms, especially in the Northeast, rather than a field guide of edible mushrooms. Marley repeatedly mentions how important it is to take a spore print before eating mushrooms, but he never describes how to take a spore print.

He does, however, explain how bioluminescent fungi were u
Sharon Miller
Jun 07, 2016 Sharon Miller rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable and fun for any mycophile. Part natural history, part ethnobotany, part humorous memoir. Fascinating topic. The author's style is anecdotal and charming, but the book suffered from inadequate editing and organization. I would have enjoyed more pictures, but I love a good field guide, which this is not, so that is pure wishful thinking. The good descriptions of the edible and poisonous mushrooms are very valuable to the learning mushroom hunter.
Erika
Apr 11, 2011 Erika rated it it was amazing
So many times as I've read the short descriptions for common mushrooms in field guides, I've wished for more information. In this book, Marley provides the stories behind the mushrooms, explaining what it means when a mushroom is noted as "edible, perhaps", and what the toxic effects might be like or due to.
xhanthi
Jul 02, 2012 xhanthi rated it liked it
Not bad, a bit dry for a book that's not really aimed at hardcore mushroomers. Seems to be trying a little too hard to sound important but despite the bogginess it's a good source of info for those looking for cultural and medicinal infomation about fungi.
Jen
Mar 08, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Fun and a fast read, but a bit self-righteous. I guess that comes from mushroom experts being rather paranoid about what people will consume after reading a mushroom book--but still, give us a bit of credit!
Interesting stuff.
Melanie
Dec 12, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
I haven't read the book from back to front as it's pretty hard to keep fully focused on, but what I have read has been very interesting and informative. Definitely glad I have the book at home as a reference.
Tim Cusmano
Nov 08, 2015 Tim Cusmano rated it it was amazing
Excellent book fro anyone just beginning a hobby in mycology or those curious to start. I will be passing my copy since I have been in the hobby long enough that there isn't much new for me, but perfect for the novice.
Michelle
Jul 26, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Interesting read, full of lovely fiddly bits of trivia and fun! The middle was kind of dry and listy so it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but definitely an enjoyable book to return to for mushrooming inspiration and references.
Nicole
Jul 23, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable survey of mushroom history and mythology. Don't expect a field guide - it's clearly not meant to be one. It'll likely make you go looking for one, though.
Tofu Fairy
Apr 05, 2012 Tofu Fairy rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
the first few chapters were great...then it became a science book and lost me...would recommend for those first few interesting chapters...but get it from your library unless you like text books
Lauren
Feb 11, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Extremely fascinating and informative book about fungi! Well-written and thoughtful. Highly recommend to anyone who is curious about mushrooms and their natural or cultural history.
Katrinka
May 24, 2016 Katrinka rated it really liked it
I never know how to rate things that don't fall on the "literary" spectrum, but this one gave me the info I was looking for in a really enjoyable manner.
Gremlinchode
Gremlinchode rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Ben Busack
Ben Busack rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Amuse
May 10, 2013 Amuse rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Everything you want to know about mushrooms.
Carol Collins
Carol Collins rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Gregory Han
Gregory Han rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Donne Sinderson
Donne Sinderson rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Cleo
Cleo rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2013
Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Stalking the Wild Asparagus
  • Cheesemonger
  • The Mushroom Hunters: On the Trail of Secrets, Eccentrics, and the American Dream
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • The Complete Herb Book
  • Seven Flowers: And How They Shaped Our World
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • Cheese and Culture: A History of Cheese and Its Place in Western Civilization
  • Outlaw Marriages: The Hidden Histories of Fifteen Extraordinary Same-Sex Couples
  • Grow the Good Life: Why a Vegetable Garden Will Make You Happy, Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise
3442037
Greg Marley has a passion for mushrooms that dates to 1971, the year he left his native New Mexico and spent the summer in the verdant woods of central New York. Since then, he has become an avid student and teacher of mycology, as well as a mushroom identification consultant to the Northern New England Poison Control Center and owner of Mushrooms for Health, a company that provides education and ...more
More about Greg Marley...