Start by marking “Waylon: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:

Waylon: An Autobiography

Waylon Jennings relates the story of his life as a country music star. His beginnings were poor but he became Buddy Holly's protege before sinking into drug abuse and 3 failed marriages. His success came when he met his present wife, Jessi Colter.
Published September 1st 1996 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about Waylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waylon

Barry Hammond
Jun 23, 2015 Barry Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though for years I was more into rock and jazz (though I've made many excursions into classic country, bluegrass, and alt-country), I've always listed Waylon Jennings "Dreamin' My Dreams" as one of my all-time favorite discs and probably one of the best-produced discs of all time. I stand by that opinion. I think producer Jack Clements helped capture not only a specific feeling and sound on that disc but the sort of both raw and polished creativity that rarely gets laid down on any recordin ...more
Robert
Apr 17, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
When I was looking at reading this book I read somewhere that someone said this book was almost like sitting down with Waylon and having him tell his life story over a few beers. That actually fits quite well. Waylon was one of the first to really break the conventenial country music barriers mainly because he wanted to play the music as he felt it. This tells all of his struggles as he went through those barriers and broke through Nashvilles walls into a new label known now as outlaw country. W ...more
Adamskmckenzie
Feb 28, 2008 Adamskmckenzie rated it liked it
A good read if you are interested in this artist. It begins slowly, and Waylon's colloquial writing style often irritates at first, but I felt real emotion in some of his more intense stories.
I did not realize that he was so close with Buddy Holly. He described Buddy, at the time of his death, as his best friend and states that he slipped in to a deep depression for two years following the plane crash. This section deals with the survivor's guilt that he experienced and was perhaps one of the
Melanie Rigney
Jun 01, 2013 Melanie Rigney rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I'm a super big Waylon fan, and got this book for Christmas. I put off starting it in part because I worried his voice might not translate well to prose. I needn't have worried. This is all Waylon, all the time. I cried at the vulnerability he showed about his time with Buddy Holly... shudder a bit at the quantity of pills he ingested... and laugh and shake my head at the in-your-face attitude in the early days in Nashville. This is one I'll be sad to finish... just as I'm sad we lost this "Amer ...more
Cwn_annwn_13
Apr 07, 2010 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it really liked it
This is a well written and entertaining as told to autobiography of Waylon Jennings and has all you would expect from a Waylon biography if you are familiar with his music and life. More often than not, even if they make great music, most musicians are phony narcistic human beings. Waylon is a guy thats hard not to like and I enjoy his music. I wish he was still around.
Mattc
Mar 25, 2014 Mattc rated it it was amazing
Done did everything that needs done.
Phil Gould
Aug 27, 2016 Phil Gould rated it it was ok
Not nearly as good as Johnny Cash's autobiography, which I just read prior to this. I did find it interesting at times, especially when he talked about music, playing live shows, and working in the studio, but it wasted too much ink on his drug problem. Drugs and booze have been well chronicled as a common problem with many early country entertainers so after the first few pages it got really old. I attended two Waylon concerts and enjoyed them both, but now I'm left wondering if he was high eit ...more
Bob Garrett
Jul 04, 2015 Bob Garrett rated it really liked it
Waylon Jennings was always my favorite country music performer. When I sought out biographies of him, I was disappointed by the selections. Thus, I placed this autobiography on my Christmas wish list, and my mother-in-law gifted me a copy.

An autobiography has certain advantages and disadvantages over a biography. In the latter category, there’s the loss of objectivity and the unreliability of memory. As compensation, however, the reader receives a more personal – and often more engaging – accoun
Morgan
May 06, 2008 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: country music fans, muscians
This is a pretty good account written by the man himself. It covers Waylons days on the farm growing up, his short time with Buddy Holly, his career long battle with pills/drugs on the way to becoming a country legend, and his life after he kicked the habit by staying out in the desert for a month. This book is written by Waylon so the way he talks/writes is a reflection of the way that he actually talked and rembered things so the account can get a little confusing when the down home country ac ...more
Colleen
Mar 21, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Waylon: An Autobiography
I liked this book an awful lot. It gives great insight into the entertainment industry on the Country music side. Budding musicians of any genre should take a look at this book before starting their careers. Waylon's life had a wide variety of influences, high points, and low points. One of the few biographies I've read, and it was a very compelling read.
Douglas L Allen
Good stuff here

This is a very in depth look into the life of Waylon. It's a bit slow at times, buy is very insightful and includes everything you'd want to know. He's honest about it all, the good, the bad, the ugly.
Amber
FULL DISCLOSURE. I was thinking of Merle Haggard when I put this on my to-read list. So, not quite the same thing but still.

One of my favorite genres is musical biography and usually of bands or musicians I am not a super fan of. This falls into the category.

There isn't anything remarkable about it. It's just one guy's story of being in the music business. There's drugs and failed marriages and tour bus jokes and everything you would really want from it. It's told in casual tones like Waylon is
Connie
Mar 05, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, music, bios
This is a pretty good and well written autobiography by the man himself. While reading I can actually hear his voice saying everything. The book was written with humor and no holds barred by him.
This goes from his early days as a child,through his close friendship with Buddy Holly, and up through his Luckenbach Texas era with Kris and Willie.
He holds nothing back from his cocaine filled life he had and his broken marriages, and the long suffering held by his current and last wife Jessi. A man wh
John
Mar 23, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Best bio I have read in a while. Loved it! Can't imagine living a life so full. And... It's a great love story.
Luke
Jul 04, 2016 Luke rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best biography/autobiography I've ever read. While I do appreciate honesty in a bio, its all too frequent I walk away feeling a strong dislike toward the subject afterwards. For instance, I read "Mustaine" years ago and haven't been able to bring myself to listen to Megadeth since.

Not to say Waylon doesn't have his flaws, but in this book he approaches them (and his success') with a lot of humility.

The book itself is fantastic not only because Waylon Jennings is such a down-to-eart
Nate
Jul 13, 2016 Nate rated it really liked it
I love Waylon and Lenny Kaye has a lot to be proud of.
Glenn Dickson
May 11, 2016 Glenn Dickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true hero and my best friend.
Shelby Delbert
Nov 11, 2014 Shelby Delbert rated it really liked it
Nice!
Ron Wallace
Feb 10, 2008 Ron Wallace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
I love a good biography or autobiography, and this one was one from a personal hero. It did not disappoint. Waylon didn't try to make himself into Superman; he allowed the reader to see the good and the bad together, and Lenny Kaye shaped it into a blast to read. Awesome stuff, highly recommended.
Guff
Aug 24, 2015 Guff rated it liked it
3.5 star. Decent read for a music book. Mostly reads like you're sitting there having old Waylon tell you his story. Definitely would recommend.
Rhonda
Dec 24, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it
This was a decent autobiography with a fast-paced, engaging narrative. I found it entertaining and informative from the early years forward and the story really never ever slowed down. This was pretty quick reading.
Marissa
Oct 18, 2012 Marissa rated it it was amazing
I sure do love me some Waylon. He is a funny guy and I never realized how close him and Buddy Holly were. I really loved hearing about Buddy Holly as well and it made me sad with how Waylon felt about Buddy's passing.
Rex McCulloch
Mar 22, 2015 Rex McCulloch rated it really liked it
One of the best very best autobiographies (and one of the better biographies) I've ever read. Waymore had a fascinating life, and he tells it all in a down-to-earth and engaging style.
Jason Moore
Feb 20, 2011 Jason Moore rated it it was amazing
Even if you're not a fan, Waylon's tale of the rockabilly era of the fifties to the drug addled 70s and beyond is a fun read. The guy's actually hilarious, may he rest in peace.
Dusty The2ofHarts-com
This book was a gift from a client for whom I'd created "El Rancho Waylon," a site for fans of Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter (a classmate, Mirriam Johnson of Mesa, Arizona)
Jan 01, 2014 5 rated it it was amazing
Amazing.
Michael Jones
Sep 30, 2013 Michael Jones rated it really liked it
You could almost hear Waylon's voice telling you his story himself. A good read that I really enjoyed.
Tamara Saviano
Jul 22, 2013 Tamara Saviano rated it really liked it
Loved hearing Waylon's voice while reading this. Colorful anecdotes. Interesting history.
Hans Eichinger
Dec 07, 2009 Hans Eichinger rated it really liked it
he has some helpful things to say about songwriting, and that whole process...
Olav Nilsen
Apr 14, 2013 Olav Nilsen rated it really liked it
The evolution of the wild man Waylon Jennings. A great read...
  • Willie: An Autobiography
  • Willie Nelson: An Epic Life
  • Merle Haggard's My House of Memories: For the Record
  • Man of Constant Sorrow: My Life and Times
  • Outlaw: Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and the Renegades of Nashville
  • Hickory Wind: The Life and Times of Gram Parsons
  • Hank Williams: The Biography
  • Texas Hold 'Em: How I Was Born in a Manger, Died in the Saddle, and Came Back as a Horny Toad
  • Can't You Hear Me Calling: The Life Of Bill Monroe, Father Of Bluegrass