Start by marking “I Like This Poem: A Collection of Best-Loved Poems Chosen by Children for Other Children” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This is a rich and varied collection of poems - all of them chosen by children aged from five to 15. Highwaymen and naughty children, sharks and baboons, the Snitterjipe and the Jabberwocky, all have their part to play.
Published October 25th 1979 by Puffin Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about I Like This Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Like This Poem

Matt Linzey
An excellent selection of poems from both famous and unrecognised poets. With a variety of poems tackling a number of themes, children of all ages will surely find one in this collection that appeals to them whatever thier mood.

Importantly is the mix of both comic and more serious, thought-provoking poems. Some absolute classic children's poems and a variety of refreshingly new poems by a number of up and coming poets.

An anthology that is better described as a treasure chest of children's poetry...more
Emma
I won this book for getting first place in a poetry competition in my school that everyone was made to enter and I didn't really take an I treat in poetry but I had to so I wrote a poem (Limerick) about Greyfriars Bobby and cos I had sic a lack of interest I actually handed mines in late so I was soo surprised when I won first place but after reading this book I began to like poetry and It's great because it's got poems for people of all ages and by so man amazing poets and authors from Roald Da...more
Daniel L.
I Like This Poem; I Love This Book!

The International Year of the Child - What's that? It seems nowadays that the idealism of the 1979 UN proclamation, along with UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, have been consigned to history, something quaint for collectors of stamps and other memorabilia. As the editor of "I Like This Poem," Kaye Webb, points out, there is always a poem to console us, to give us hope.

"I Like This Poem" was truly a labor labor of love, if you would excuse the cliche. A...more
Jessica McIntyre
“I Like This Poem” is a book complied of many different poetry stories for children. The selection of books can vary for all ages of children ranging from six years up until even fourteen and fifteen years. The book covers many themes and subjects, so this would be a good choice for your classroom so you can please every child, and they can even look through it and find something they would like. This book also has poems that cover different emotions like, sad, comical, serious and thought-provo...more
Rachael
I Like This Poem is a book complied of many different poetry stories for children. The selection of books can vary for all ages of children ranging from six years up until even fourteen and fifteen years. The book covers many themes and subjects, so this would be a good choice for your classroom so you can please every child, and they can even look through it and find something they would like. This book also has poems that cover different emotions like, sad, comical, serious and thought-provoki...more
Holly
One of my favourite poetry books as a child <3
Hazel
I got this for my niece's 6th birthday, but will need to buy myself a copy. This is a delightful collection of poems nominated by children from the Puffin Club in the 1970s. They're laid out for ages 6 to 15 and each is accompanied by a brief comment from the boy or girl. Some of these are old favourites of mine, like Noyes The Highwayman; some are new, but they're all good poems, classical and contemporary. Highly recommended.
Gilly G
First published in 1979 this was my favourite book as a child - 34 years on I still have the same dog eared copy with pages cellotaped together (and I still take it down from the shelf when I need cheering up).

It has no doubt been updated with yet more great verse in the later version but I am too attached to my original copy to buy the updated one!

Highly recommended for children and adults alike :-)
Valerie
Aug 28, 2012 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Valerie by: Amazon.uk
Some old favorites and some delightful new finds. Who knew there was a poem called "Oh I Wish I'd Looked after me Teeth"? This collection isn't childish (although there's plenty of humor), but contains a strong sampling of shorter classic poems that have vivid imagery, propulsive meter, and memorable subjects.
Stacey
I was given an edition of this as a child.

It is a collection of poems chosen by children (varying in age from 6 to 15) and includes a variety of poems suited to each age group from simple, and light weight to more mature and more complex...
Susan
I have had this book since childhood and although I have re-visited some of the poems on several occasions I have not yet read every single one of them, something I hope to rectify fairly soon.
Lauren
I grew up on this poetry book. It's a truly wonderful collection of poems that has compelled me to writing my own. I love every poem I read. :D
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I Like This Story: A Taste of Fifty Favourites The Crack-a-joke Book (Puffin Books) The St. Trinians Story Meet My Friends: Favourite Characters and Their Adventures Family Tree