Start by marking “Aztec Blood (Aztec, #3)” as Want to Read:
Aztec Blood (Aztec, #3)

Aztec Blood (Aztec #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,073 ratings  ·  43 reviews
In this colorful and exciting era of swords and cloaks, upheaval and revolution, a young beggar boy, in whose blood runs that of both Spanish and Aztec royalty must claim his birthright. From the torrid streets of the City of the Dead along the Veracruz Coast to the ageless glory of Seville in Old Spain, Cristo the Bastardo connives fights, and loves as he seeks the truthâ
Mass Market Paperback, 768 pages
Published August 19th 2002 by Tor Books (first published August 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Aztec Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aztec Blood

Enter the 5th Realm by Patricia O'GradyThe Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelKey Holder of the Realms by Patricia O'GradyThe Gunslinger by Stephen KingPeople of the Wolf by W. Michael Gear
The best book series, Part 2
101st out of 132 books — 19 voters
Aztec by Gary JenningsThe Highlander by Zoe SaadiaThe Fall of the Empire by Zoe SaadiaCurrents of War by Zoe SaadiaThe Emperor's Second Wife by Zoe Saadia
Aztec, Maya & Inca - Fiction
51st out of 74 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Golomb
First, I have to confess that I'm a big fan of Gary Jennings. Whatever one thinks of his early work (i.e. what was published while he was still alive), it's broad in scope, rich in detail, and absolutely epic. What really grabs me, though, is his intricacy and the texture he's able to draw across his broad landscapes.

"Aztec Blood" is the first of several books (and more on the way) written based on notes and outlines and published after his death. While "Aztec Blood" (the third in his "Aztec" se
Joy Pérez
Sangre Azteca de Gary Jennings es una novela que nos cuenta la historia de Cristo, "el Bastardo".
Está ambientada en 1600, aproximadamente y es un escrito que Cristo hace para los inquisidores que lo están torturando para descubrir un secreto.
Lamentablemente, Cristo es un mestizo y en esas épocas no había derechos para esa casta. Por lo que las personas que nacían con esa condición eran tratados como animales. Se les llama léperos.
"Todos somos humanos", es una frase que es muy utilizada en el
Rodrigo Campos
El tercer libro de la serie de Gary Jennings, perdió fuerza histórica (por decirlo de alguna manera) y se hizo completamente novela. Por supuesto eso no es malo, sólo diferente a sus antecesores.

Según lo que he leído, el sr. Jennings murió antes de terminar este libro, por lo que alguien más (hijos, editores o alguien) encontró los manuscritos y los utilizaron para editar el libro; lo cual queda perfectamente comprobado con el final del libro.

Diferente a los finales intensos y tristes de Azteca
Jorge Arnulfo
A great book, but the original Aztec novel remains THE masterpiece.
1600's in New Spain

Mestizo-mixed Spanish and Indio blood.

El Cid was born Rodrigo (or Ruy) Díaz de Vivar. Vivar being the town where he was born. It is near Burgos. He was born either in 1040 or 1043. Historians are not sure of the date. He died in Valencia in 1099. His name, "El Cid" was given to him by the Moors. In the mixture of the Spanish and Arabic language they used, they called him "As-Sid" (Lord or Chief). This was pronounced by the Spaniards as "El Cid", but they themselves actually c
Gary Jennings, autor reconhecido em todo o mundo como um dos melhores autores do género romance histórico, era um homem muito erudito que levava a cabo intensas e rigorosas pesquisas antes de escrever os seus livros.

Falecido em 1999, Jennings deixou ao mundo um conjunto de obras aclamadas pela crítica, entre as quais “Asteca” que comporta as obras, em Portugal, “Orgulho Asteca” e “Sangue Asteca”, dois volumes.

Fascinado pelos Astecas, Gary viveu durante 12 anos no México. Aprendeu espanhol antigo
Aiyo! Two stars is the lowest rating I can give and still want to finish the book. Dios Mio, I wanted to finish this book some of the times; other times, it was a real struggle. (I'll let off with the Spanish/Nahuatl expletives, but imagine a few more of them and you get the idea of the book's tone.)

I read the first Aztec many years ago, and remember loving the intricate lost world Jennings created as well as the fascinating multicultural perspective that squarely places the brutal Spanish conq
I always love stories about the Aztec's. I love to read about the culture, the people. the sites. I enjoy a writer who can describe the scene well. This author does that, one can almost smell the jungle and feel the whip as it falls from the Spaniards. However, who actually wrote this book? Cover states that this book was written, after Gary Jennings death from his notes, and by a ghost writer or writers.

Interesting follow up to the other books. Too much mushy romance in this one, and several st
Farhana Faruq
Another book where I unfortunately haven't read the first two! Oh well.

I had mixed thoughts the first half of the book on whether I liked it or not, but now done..I think it's awesome! The story is very interesting and so are the characters.

I quite enjoyed Jennings writing style and look forward to reading more by him.

This story covers the early 17th century Spanish and Aztec culture. VERY interesting! It also includes information about the Spanish inquisition and how society in both the New W
Samuel Flores
Ne encantó el libro, solo que Cristo el bastardo termina por adoptar su mitad de sangre mas poderosa en ese momento y decide ser un portador de espuelas mas que un orgulloso Azteca.

me identifico con cristo el bastardo por que a pesar de no tener la culpa de quien es, su pasado y herencia lo hace hacer perseguido y hacer todo tipo de cosas para sobrevivir llegando hasta ser bandido, una novela que nos hace reflexionar de como la sociedad puede etiquetar a las personas solo por su origen y como lo
Jerri Brissette
It was a good story, but not the five stars I gave the others. This book doesn't include many new historical facts, and, in fact, just repeats much of what has already been told by its predecessors.
Miguel Seguame
Después de leer que esta historia fue maquilada con los borradores que dejó Gary tras su muerte me temía no encontrar una historia tan enganchante como el primer libro; Por fortuna me equivoqué, ya que la historia de Cristo "el bastardo", mestizo de la Nueva España, logra evocar en la memoria una pantanosa Veracruz, polvorosa Zacatecas y magnifica Ciudad de México con algunas menciones de la vida en Sevilla.

Aunque las lineas temporales no tienen mucha relación, se entremezclan eventos históricos
May 21, 2008 Pa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in cliff-hanging adventure tales and/or the Aztecs or Spanish inquisition
This book (published posthumously) is the tale of an early 17th century Spanish/indio boy in New Spain and his frequent picaresque (in Spanish = picaro) compadre. The author is well versed in both the Spanish and Aztec culture of the period. This is an exciting read with many hair-raising adventures (far more than any real person could ever hope to survive). Some interesting insights into the cultures of the time (including the Spanish inquisition) and of the multilayered society in both the New ...more
George Pantoja
La historia de Cristo el Bastardo, es la de un pícaro que vive en la época de la colonia y se vuelve un bribón y un caballero gracias a la voz de todos los mentores que ha tenido a lo largo de su vida. El libro está narrado de una manera fácilmente digerible y aporta una gran idea de lo que era la vida de las personas en la época que México era Nueva España.
Me encanta la idea de saber que éste libro ha recibido malas críticas por ser considerado peor que el otro libro del autor "Azteca", lo que
Emil Othokani
estuvo genial me gusto mucho la historia es tan bueno como el primero de azteca
Lauris Abele
Weaker than previous two as it's made from Jennings notes.
Charlene Gordon
Good book. Read this in 2003.
Jaime Contreras
Apr 24, 2012 Jaime Contreras marked it as to-read
Gary Jennings' third book in his Aztec series follows the story of Cristobal (descendant of Mixtli and Tenamaxtli, the heroes of the 1st and 2nd books, respectively). The setting is New Spain during the late-16 century. Its is much bawdier than the first two and moves slower. There is a ot of history and literature refercnes in this one. Still, it is a colorful romp durng the first century of Mexico after the Spanish Conquest. I enjoyed the return to old Mexico.
Doug DePew
"Aztec Blood" is my least favorite of the series, but it is still a wonderful book. It's hard to create characters like Mixtli in the original Aztec again. They're once in a lifetime. It does, however, do a great job of leading us deeper into the Spanish occupation of Mexico. Jennings's research still shines, and he brings some little known historical incidents into this book and weaves a fascinating story. It's a book well worth reading.
May 03, 2013 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers
4 1/2 stars.
Action Packed.
This is the third book to the Aztec series but could be read on its own. I had read it first and liked it so much that I read the rest of the series.
The seventeenth century Spanish Colony of the former Aztec empire will take you on an adventure to another culture at a different time.
I wasn't overly fond of the stories within the story. But still a great read.
Have read four times and will read again.
Frank van Kalmthout
Not as good as Gary Jenning's original Aztec, but a great, swashbuckling adventure tale with lots of passion, violence, blood, and a good measure of sex thrown in. The friendship between the main character, Christobal, and Mateo adds a humorous touch. The depiction of New Spain a century after the conquest (early 1600s), if accurate, is of a society undergoing nothing less than genocide. A horrible, cruel, nightmare of a place.
Luis Mata Licón
Gary Jennings did a terrific job investigating in order to write the Aztec series, but sometimes I get tired of his all-invincible characters, specially on this one, the protagonist can do whatever he wants and he's good at everything, I don't personally like that. The world is great, Jennings really knows how to take you to the Colonial Mexico, but his character made me don't really like this book.
This was definitly better than the 2nd book, but not nearly as captivating as the first. After realizing that the 2nd - 5th books are written by a ghost writer after the death of Gary Jennings, its makes a bit more sense.

The character was more interesting and the style was closer to that of the first book. I will go on to read the next one, but I am disappointed after loving Aztec so much.
I thought it was very good, although it was fiction it provided a lot of historical background.

I am not certain how accurate the historical details were, but I know it felt very accurate and authenticate. Those type of historical details really enriched the story to a point that I found myself googling facts of that era.
What does a mezito do in New Spain, when he does not know his father and his mother disappears? Follow Cristobal the Bastardo on the people he meets, the misadventures that may and may not answer his life's questions as his life unfolds through the streets of Veracruz, and beyond.
The story is good, but the depth seems to be thinner. Its a post-Gary book. He may have done the research, compiled the notes, even outlined Aztec 3, but he didnt write it and it shows. Its still a very good story, just not real Jennings.
Terribly bad book. A poor tribute to Aztec, I'm sure Gary Jennings would have not liked the end result had he been alive to witness this pathetic book. Mr Jennings did not write this book which explains why it is so appallingly bad.
Clarisa Rodriguez
This book kept going on and on. It felt to me Jennings tried really hard to make this book as good as its predecessors unfortunately fell very short following the thrilling story line previous books had and extremely predictable.
Blanca Ivonne Montaño Rodriguez
Libro muy fantasioso. Algo forzado, hay que aceptar que si te entretiene la historia pero de verdad es muy dificil de creer. En fin, el autor no termino el libro, podemos atribuirle a eso el resultado.
  • Mexica
  • Sab
  • People of the Longhouse (Iroquois, #1) (North America's Forgotten Past, #17)
  • The Assyrian
  • The Amazing Mexican Secret (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #5)
  • Conquistador: Hernán Cortés, King Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs
  • Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal
  • To Die in Mexico: Dispatches from Inside the Drug War
  • Devouring Frida: The Art History and Popular Celebrity of Frida Kahlo
  • People of the Owl (North America's Forgotten Past, #11)
  • Trail of the Spanish Bit (Spanish Bit Saga, #1)
  • The Usurper (The Book of The Kingdoms, #2)
  • Los años con Laura Díaz
  • Warwyck's Woman
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • The House of Djinn (Shabanu, #3)
Gary Jennings led a paradoxically picaresque life. On one hand, he was a man of acknowledged intellect and erudition. His novels were international best sellers, praised around the world for their stylish prose, lively wit and adventurously bawdy spirit. They were also massive - often topping 500,000 words - and widely acclaimed for the years of research he put into each one, both in libraries and ...more
More about Gary Jennings...

Aztec (5 books)
  • Aztec (Aztec, #1)
  • Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)
  • Aztec Rage (Aztec, #4)