Start by marking “Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)” as Want to Read:
Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)

Aztec Autumn (Aztec #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  2,093 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
The magnificent Aztec empire has fallen beneath the brutal heal of the Spaniards. But one proud Aztec, Tenamaxtli, refuses to bow to his despised conquerors. He dreams of restoring the lost glory of the Aztec empire, and recruits an army of rebels to mount an insurrection against the seemingly invincible power of mighty Spain.
Tenamaxtli's courageous quest takes us through
Published May 16th 2006 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Aztec Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aztec Autumn

Shawn
Feb 16, 2015 Shawn rated it liked it
I am not sure what to make of Gary Jennings "Aztec" series. I love the writing and history but I truly get tired of the pointless sex. Many other reviewers think his first novel, "Aztec", was much better than this book. I am not sure. Both show the richness and brutality of life in central Mexico around the time of Spanish Conquest, but he spends so much time describing the sexual activities of the main characters almost all is lost. I did prefer Aztec because the reader was given an accurate an ...more
Jordan
I read this because I loved Aztec so much but it didn't really hold-up as well as I expected. Still exciting and full of cultural information though.
Elaine
May 10, 2013 Elaine rated it it was ok
Nahuatl is the native language with most speakers in Mexico, with approximately a million and a half, most bilingual with the Spanish. Its use extends from the North of Mexico to Central America.

The Spanish invaded Mexico in 1530. The Aztec Empire was the principal political structure on the North American continent at the time of its conquest by Spaniards.

The Mixtón War was fought from 1540 until 1542 between Spanish invaders and their Aztec and Tlaxcalan allies against the Caxcanes and other s
Joy Pérez
Mar 03, 2013 Joy Pérez rated it it was amazing
Los sumergiré un poco en el territorio que hoy ocupa México, pero cuando su nombre era Nueva España y sometían a los indigenas que no se doblegaban al catolicismo.

Tenamaxtli, un joven indigena, muy orgulloso, al que no le agrada el hecho de los españoles se hayan impuesto en lo que algún día fue la gran Tenochtitlán y derrumbarán todo para construir La Ciudad de México. “Todavía puedo verlo arder.” Es como comienza su narración, él presencia a un hombre al que le prenden fuego porque, según los
Juan Bárcenas Cuellar
Jan 18, 2016 Juan Bárcenas Cuellar rated it really liked it
Secuela de Azteca. Como en la mayoria de los casos no logra superar a su antecesor, aunque es otra gran historia. Retrata perfectamente la desolacion de un pueblo conquistado y la impotencia de no poder contrarrestarlo. No hay ansiedad mas desesperante que la de perder la libertad.
"Nuestro pueblo tiene un dicho: que un hombre que no sabe adonde va no necesita tener miedo de perderse"
Rodrigo Campos
Otoño azteca es la continuación del libro "Azteca", el cuál comienza prácticamente donde termina el primero, o al menos en una de las últimas escenas.

Considero que el segundo libro está cargado de la misma intensidad que el primero, con personajes interesantes y una historia bien continuada a partir del primer libro. Lo sentí más novela, con la aventura que tiende más a la fantasía que a los hechos históricos que tuvo (o quiso) explicar en el primer libro.

El final , al igual que el primero fue i
Dale
Mar 07, 2014 Dale rated it really liked it
We lived in San Miguel de Allende for several years, we became fascinated with Mexico's rich history. Ignore what the newspapers say. It is safer in many parts of Mexico than in many parts of the US. Anyway, We love Gary Jennings books. A lot of history presented in a most enjoyable fictional manner.
Jorge Arnulfo
Mar 24, 2014 Jorge Arnulfo rated it really liked it
Caio Duayer
Sep 05, 2014 Caio Duayer rated it liked it
ehhhhhhh, three starts, I liked it, but just enough, had a bunch of highs but also a LOT of lows. Starting with the lows, he uses some very cliched tools to get the plot forward, nearing the end there are even some James Bondesque moments, and it really draws you out of this supposedly real story, or at least based vaguely on one. The main character is very sort of bland he has some good ideals and all but , not very inspiring and very little of a character arch.
Another low is the gore, G-ZUS1 ,
Thomas Switek
Jan 20, 2015 Thomas Switek rated it liked it
Good but not quite as good as the first.
Marjorie
Oct 20, 2012 Marjorie rated it liked it
Spoiler Alert

Like AZTEC, Gary Jenning’s novel published in 1980, Jennings‘ sequel, AZTEC AUTUMN. published in 1997, takes place in 16th century Mexico. The novel AZTEC, as I remember it, was so vivid, the world of the exotic Aztec culture, mystical, sensual and incredibly blood-thirsty, so fascinating that though I remember few details, I remember my reaction–mesmerized. AZTEC AUTUMN begins with the death of Mixtli–the half-blind narrator of AZTEC, who tells his life-story to the Spanish clergy.
Althea Ann
Sep 19, 2013 Althea Ann rated it liked it
I read the first one in this series a few years back, and enjoyed it enough to pick up the sequels. So – I knew what I was getting into, with this book. But – boy, are these trashy!
However, they’re not non-stop trashy. There’s also a lot of historical detail in them – but, I wouldn’t actually *trust* any particular detail in any of these to be historically accurate without looking it up and verifying it in a couple of other sources first.

This book tells the story of Tenamaxtli, the son of the n
Austin Briggs
Aug 06, 2011 Austin Briggs rated it it was ok
First, I'm not sure how much of this book was written by Gary Jennings himself. I'm ready to accept that he drafted the outline, and maybe some of his trademark travel and sexual scenes, by himself.

But the uninspired narration, the hurried ending, the moralistic undertone couldn't have come from The Master. I refuse to believe it. Nameless minions must have done this after his death, to cash in on his name.

While some of the scenes in this book have stayed in my memory for many years (some scen
Judi
Apr 16, 2010 Judi rated it liked it
It's been 27 years since I read the first book in the series, Aztec. I knew it was fiction, but the history upon which it was based just fascinated me. I had always meant to read this follow-up, but never got around to it -- until I saw the book on the bargain book rack at B&N a couple months ago.

The action in this book occurs a generation after the first one, and reflects the coming of the Spaniards. It was not as compelling to me as Aztec, which may just be because I am reading it at a di
Tim
Dec 10, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
Great book. I love be symbolism that Mr. Jennings used to show us what the One World was, and what it will be. This should be made known to a movie.
My only complaint is the author has a thing for incest. I also think he inserts some of his fantasies. On the flip side, sex plays a big role is everyone's life.
Yuri Marin
Feb 06, 2014 Yuri Marin rated it liked it
Claramente Azteca es muy superior a este libro tanto en la historia como en la descripción de la vida de los aztecas. Lei este libro recién terminado el otro y puede ser ese uno de los motivos de por que este libro lo senti como no tan bueno. Desde mi punto de vista el libro mejora desde la mitad hacia adelante, terminando casi en forma abrupta.
Probablemente le podría haber dado una estrella más.
Danielle
Sep 14, 2010 Danielle rated it liked it
This book was great, but decidedly not as entertaining as it's predecessor "Aztec." I found the character development lacking which was not the case in the first book of the series. Still, I learned a lot about the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs after the initial arrival of Cortes as well as the Mixton War, the upheaval of the Aztecs years later to try and take their land back. This was an enjoyable adventure, great as a vacation/beach read, and especially recommended for those readers who loved ...more
Michele
Mar 11, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing
Jennings' series of 5-6 books of the history of Mexico, from the fictional point of view of an Aztec, clearly simplifies a very complicated story. It is a story that anyone living in the US or Canada should read before ever giving an opinion about Mexico.
Dobook
May 03, 2016 Dobook rated it really liked it
Not quite as epic as the first book, and the ending felt a bit rushed, given all the build-up, but still a good read. As always, Jennings weaves a lot of cultural and historical details into his story, which I love.
Tim O'Neill
Feb 29, 2016 Tim O'Neill rated it really liked it
Shelves: aztecs, gary-jennings
Read Aztec about 10 years ago and this book keeps up with the intensity of the first book. I like how he uses the foreign words and even though you don't understand them at first figure them out.
Kelly
May 14, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it
This book was enjoyable and about a period in time and group of people I don't know much about. I had to stop reading this book mid-way to read my book club book, so when I picked it back up again, I wasn't as interested. However, the story was well done and despite having Aztec names, the characters were easy to keep straight. The book was very good at describing the Aztec culture and the different tribes in the area. I would recommend this if you enjoy historical fiction.
Michael Keren
Dec 11, 2015 Michael Keren rated it really liked it
The second book in the Aztec series leaves off where the first ends. The son of the original hero, after observing his father's horrific burning death at the hands of the Spaniards vows his revenge. The novel provides a comprehensive travel tour of colonial Mexico while the hero builds an army and sets out to reconquer his world.
Jaime Ortega
Mar 24, 2016 Jaime Ortega rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Con una trama un poco más forzada que la primera novela, Otoño Azteca sigue siendo una excelente ventana para asomarse a la llegada de los españoles a México y sus repercusiones. Sangrienta, bélica, sexual, es ahora la historia de Tenamaxtli (basado en el personaje real del mismo nombre), quien recluta por todo el país un ejército de diferentes tribus y en el que los Yaquis son protagonistas hasta culminar en la histórica Guerra del Mixtón, una sublevación contra los españoles.
Robinson
Jan 21, 2015 Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secuela de la novela Azteca. Esta es una buena segunda parte, pero no alcanza a superar a su predecesora que es perfecta.
Kati
Dec 01, 2012 Kati rated it liked it
I actually enjoyed this book better than the first one. There were still some sex scenes but they didn't take up so much of the book. The overarching story is of an Aztec resistance against the Spanish. I enjoyed seeing all the different tribes working together, as well as the political intrigue. As in the first book, Jennings did a wonderful job of making the scenery come to life.

My only complaint about this book is the lack of smallpox. I know that smallpox was devastating to the native popul
Diego Valdivia
Feb 12, 2014 Diego Valdivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro se debe de leer sin esperar que sea igual al libro de Azteca. Dejando eso de lado y quitando esas ideas del lector, es un libro muy bueno. Son pocas las novelas históricas que narran lo que aconteció luego de la conquista. Y este libro nos dá una buena idea de qué es lo que sucedio en ese tiempo. El personaje de Tenamaxtli es excelente.

"Todavía puedo verlo arder" una frase que jamás olvidaré.
Kipy Ca
Feb 19, 2015 Kipy Ca rated it really liked it
un libro histórico muy interesante con mucha información sobre la época de la conquista, con un poco mas de fantasía, aunque no supera la riqueza de azteca sigue siendo un libro que vale la pena leer
Ms Patty H
May 31, 2016 Ms Patty H rated it it was amazing
Jennings still kept my interest... :)
Sandra
Apr 11, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
As good as the first in every way.
Historical Fictio...: Aztec Autumn 12 120 Nov 03, 2012 10:23PM
  • Apocalypse 2012: A Novel
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • The Sicilian/Omerta
  • Kingston by Starlight
  • The Dawn Country (People of the Longhouse, #2)
  • People of the Owl (North America's Forgotten Past, #11)
  • Pale Moon Rider
  • Sab
  • Incas: The Light of Machu Picchu (Incas, #3)
  • How to Work for an Idiot: Survive & Thrive Without Killing Your Boss
  • Kull (The Robert E. Howard Library, Vol II)
  • Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)
  • The Mammoth Book of Pirates: Over 25 True Tales of Devilry and Daring by the Most Infamous Pirates of All Time
  • The Rise and Fall of Alexandria: Birthplace of the Modern Mind
Gary Jennings led a paradoxically picaresque life. On one hand, he was a man of acknowledged intellect and erudition. His novels were international best sellers, praised around the world for their stylish prose, lively wit and adventurously bawdy spirit. They were also massive - often topping 500,000 words - and widely acclaimed for the years of research he put into each one, both in libraries and ...more
More about Gary Jennings...

Aztec (5 books)
  • Aztec (Aztec, #1)
  • Aztec Blood (Aztec, #3)
  • Aztec Rage (Aztec, #4)
  • Aztec Fire (Aztec, #5)

“¿Perdonar?
Nunca perdonéis,
pero fingid que perdonáis.
Decid amistosamente que perdonáis.
Convenced de que habéis perdonado.
Así devastador es el efecto
cuando al final os lanzáis
y buscáis la garganta.”