Start by marking “Selected Poems Of Lord Byron” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Selected Poems Of Lord...

George Gordon Byron

Selected Poems Of Lord Byron

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  10,875 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
The author has restored the early vision of some 30 of his greatest poems, generally considered to be superior to the later versions. Edited by Edward Medelson.
Published (first published 1848)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems Of Lord Byron, please sign up.

Chris Brimmer Absolutely, remember this is romance poetry from the early 19th century that was published at the time. There is little indication of his rather…moreAbsolutely, remember this is romance poetry from the early 19th century that was published at the time. There is little indication of his rather scandalous personal life reflected here.(less)

Dolors
Aug 29, 2014 Dolors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who like anti-heroes
Recommended to Dolors by: Cristina
Shelves: read-in-2013, poetry
My first contact with the most known satanical Romantic poet hasn’t disappointed. Lord Byron emerges in his poems as the immensely popular hero, defiant, melancholic, haunted by secret guilt, the eternal scandalous irreverent freethinker.

We are the fools of Time and Terror: Days
Steal on us, and steal from us; yet we live,
Loathing our life, and dreading still to die .
Manfred

Although this selection doesn’t include his famous Don Juan , I have found plenty of passion and strong emotion in his
Kelly
You either love Byron or you hate him. And it should probably come as no surprise that I absolutely adore him. The original goth-emo boy. Man did it with style, though. His life is fascinating, ridiculous, over the top. Watching his journey through poetry is just amazing, watching how throughly his sorrows and his fantasy life consumes him. Byron's fantasies are beautifully put down through his poetry. It's a shame, but not a surprise, that those fantasies are what ultimately killed him.
Edward
Mar 15, 2016 Edward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, poetry, 5-star, uk-ireland
Introduction & Notes
Table of Dates
Further Reading
A Note on This Edition

--A Fragment ('When, to their airy hall, my fathers' voice')
--To Woman
--The Cornelian
--To Caroline ('You say you love, and yet your eye')

--English Bards and Scotch Reviewers: A Satire

--Lines to Mr Hodgson (Written on Board the Lisbon Packet)
--Maid of Athens, ere we part
--Written after Swimming from Sestos to Abydos
--To Thyrza

Childe Harold's Pilgrimage: A Romaunt, Cantos I-II
Preface to the First and Second Cantos
Addition t
Jeremy
Jul 08, 2010 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, so far I've learned that skulls make excellent goblets for wine. Better than the thoughts it contained in life!
Byron may have romanticized about women, but he also hid men in there as well.
I find a lot of it hard to read but I end up reading this in a really broken fashion. I work at a call center where I can't really enjoy it between calls, then at home I'm always gardening, eating, cooking, shopping, or facebooking so I read a poem a day at the most.
Where I was going with that is that I
Nick Black
Jul 17, 2009 Nick Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord Byron was, until the age of biological engineering, pretty much the zenith of human development. Lord knows what he could have done with 80mg per diem sustained release Adderall {dextro}?amphetamine salts or, like, elephant pituitary extracts, or hell even some Centrum and antibiotics instead of therapeutic bleeding, but it's exciting to read him (or about him) and ponder what'll happen when we can start giving people three hearts each, like octopodes. ...more
Chris
Nov 03, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can anyone truly say about Byron? There is something about the man that makes him stand out. Take a look at those who were writing at the same time. There is a charm, an perfect charm, about John Keats's poetry, but Shelley, we know Shelley because of Mary, because she worked so hard to insure his legacy.

Byron, on the other hands, so is much larger than life.

It's true that some of this image comes from his personal life. What can you say about a man who slept with his half sister and other
metaphor
Truly that hour foretold
Sorrow to this.

The dew of the morning
Sunk chill on my brow -
It felt like the warning
Of what I feel now.
Thy vows are all broken,
And light is thy fame:
I hear thy name spoken,
And share in its shame.

They name thee before me,
A knell to mine ear;
A shudder comes o'er me -
Why wert thou so dear?
They know not I knew thee,
Who knew thee too well: -
Long, long sh
Goranm
Mar 12, 2013 Goranm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Noel Gordon lord Byron

"Romanje grofiča Harolda"
drugi spev, kitici 25, 26

Razmišljati na skalah tik prepada;
počasi stopati skoz gozdni mrak,
kjer so stvari, ki človek jim ne vlada
in kjer ni hodil še njegov korak;
za čredo divjih koz skoz siv oblak
v neznano plezati po gorski steni;
strmeti v slapa belogrivi trak -
to ni samota - to samo pomeni
pomenkovati se z naravo v vsej lepoti njeni.

A v hrupu, gneči gledati, čutiti,
živeti med ljudmi in od spoznanj
utrujen tujec v tujem svetu biti,
brez koga, ki
Marc-André
Feb 21, 2016 Marc-André rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit
I'm glad I got my hands on this, and it really was my first foray into english poetry and, should I say it, poetry in generals since I've read very few collection of poems. This really got me a taste for it and dissolved my fears about only being able to enjoy the poetry of Homer forever.
I found this edition was rich in its contents as I found within tragedies, satires, little poems and epics. Some I prefered to others, but it was more because of my own incapacities in english, and of my own ig
Jul 28, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, english-lit
My review of Childe Harold is here!

My reivew of Don Juan is here!

I have to admit that Byron took me a really, really long time to finish. I am not sure if I can put my finger on why that is, but he's taken much longer to read than other poets, even others from his very own time period. Long story short, I find his poetry to be a little harder to follow- to compare to Keats, who is my favorite poet, I can say this: Keats has a flow to his poetry that I can't find in Byron's poetry, and while I ca
Roman Clodia
Jun 09, 2016 Roman Clodia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Byron has been a perennially fascinating personality since he lived, hence the number of biographies on him in print, but I wonder how many people have actually read his poetry? This is a fine place to start. All the dramatic narratives are here: Childe Harolde's Pilgrimage, Mazeppa, The Giaour, Lara, The Bride of Abydos, The Corsair - as well as some of the famours lyrics such as 'So we'll go no more a roving'.

If you've never read Byron, then you might be surprised at the sheer narrative drive
Julia
Jul 26, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Byron's beautiful poems were not as addicting to me as Keats's are. But, as Romantic poetry goes he is one of the best!

There's no way I could appreciate the poems fully without reading up on the poet himself. Well, all I can say is that he was some ladies man (and mans man since he was most likely gay but that is another discussion entirely). He certainly seemed a bit tortured by his emotions...

This book was quite long and I must confess that I did not have the strength to power through it cove
James
Jan 17, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It seems appropriate to briefly meditate upon the poetry of Lord Byron on any date including this, his birth date. In particular I turn to his poem 'On this Day I complete my Thirty-Sixth Year'. This poem appeals to me neither for the greatness of its lines nor the acuity of its poetic strains, but for the beauty and sadness of its meditative thought. The opening stanza, for example:
"'Tis time this heart should be unmoved,
Since others it hath ceased to move:
Yet, though I cannot be beloved,
Still
Gözde Yeşilsefa
Mar 16, 2013 Gözde Yeşilsefa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"She Walks in Beauty
She walks in beauty like the night
of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
meets in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
which heaven to gaudy day denies.

had half impair'd the nameless grace
which waves in every raven tress,
or softly lightens o'er her face -
where thoughts serenely sweet express
how pure, how dear their dwelling - place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
so soft, so ca
Shaunt
When, to their airy hall, my Fathers' voice
Shall call my spirit, joyful in their choice;
When, pois'd upon the gale, my form shall ride,
Or, dark in mist, descend the mountain's side;
Oh! may my shade behold no sculptur'd urns,
To mark the spot where earth to earth returns!
No lengthen'd scroll, no praise-encumber'd stone;
My epitaph shall be my name alone:
If that with honour fail to crown my clay,
Oh! may no other fame my deeds repay!
That, only that, shall single out the spot;
By that remem
Barrett
Aug 14, 2009 Barrett marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i love how the "Complete Works" rolls in at a weighty 1100 pages, yet "Selected Poems" only whittles it to the oh-so-manageable 800. solid.

currently reading Bulfinch's Mythology The Age of Fable or Stories of Gods and Heroes, which references scads of Byron's mythological allusions.

my interest, it is piqued.
Katlin
Mar 17, 2013 Katlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dear, dear, George,
Forgive me for I must speak plainly and ask how it is that you know my heart so well? It is quite improper. Indeed your writings have been a distracting influence and made it completely impossible to concentrate on anything of a practical nature. To add to this, you shame me openly and yet venture no apology. I should hardly wonder at this given your reputation. But oh you know, yes you know. Write again soon dear rogue.
Yours ever xx
Robert
Oct 28, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Byron is my poet for 2014. He seems to be really good, but I just read a 1000 line satire of a bunch of critics that hated his first book of poetry. I guess you had to be there.

It really was good--lots of ballads; the stories would recur in my brain on runs, swims or bikes. It's kind of nice to read poetry out loud.

I was reading a poem to sister Sarah, and we have a new phrase (after going for a long walk), "My dogs are harking!"
Sheila
Aug 24, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm an unashamed Byronista. That said, there are parts of Don Juan which border on doggerel. I wonder whether Byron did this intentionally to display his contempt for his 'fan club.' The Dedication is, for me, the highlight.

The shorter, more personal poems hit the spot for me
Kael Nevets
Mar 11, 2010 Kael Nevets rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
few men of letters in my opinion could stand in his shadow,his use of queens English,mixed with his own more modern along with his passions are remarkable.
I learned if nothing more how rich and passionate the English language can be in poetry.
Aerykah
Aug 12, 2015 Aerykah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This actually isn't the book of Byron's poems that I read, but it's the closest that I could find on Goodreads...
Gail
May 18, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with most collections of poems, some are excellent and enjoyed thoroughly, while others can be appreciated for the author's dedication to writing, yet are not necessarily enjoyed.
Ferris
Dec 24, 2013 Ferris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually an audio edition, read aloud by Tyrone Power. Read aloud by Tyrone Power. A real pleasure!
Meagan
Oct 12, 2008 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
world kept revealing byron to me...austen, joyce, movies...so, i figured i needed to find out what this man was about. Glad I did. If you're not a romantic, don't read him.
Dean Cowan
Jan 16, 2017 Dean Cowan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
As fine an artist as Byron clearly was, this volume proves that political poetry dates and for that reason most of the collection becomes mainly of historical interest. "The Vision of Judgement" is a case I point. Written after the death of George the Third it is a scathing attack on his reign. Sharp, witty and clever as all the selected poems are, there is very little in this collection to inspire further reading of Lord Byron's works due to their immediacy to their own time and lack of univers ...more
Rina Dasler
Jan 12, 2017 Rina Dasler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite is The Girl of Cadiz. Beautiful works.
⭐
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GGLB is one of the best when it comes to romantic poetry. Over dramatic, yes, but there's something... I don't know, hmmm... this really nice feeling I get when I read his poems. Came across The Destruction of Sennacherib way back High School and have loved (still loves) his work ever since.

When we two parted

of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
meets in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
which heaven to gaudy day denies.

had half impair'd the nameless grace
which waves in every raven tress,
or softly lightens o'er her face -
where thoughts serenely sweet express
how pure, how dear their dwelling - place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
so soft, so cal
Ahmad Sharabiani
چایلد هارولد، قطعه زندانی شیلن
ای آزادی. تو آن روح جاودان هستی، که هرگز در زنجیر نمیافتد، و در تاریکی سیاهچالها نیز همچنان درخشنده میماند، زیرا جایگاه تو قلب ماست. قلبی ست که تنها برای تو میتپد. وقتی که نصیب فرزندان تو، قلاده و ظلمت و سیاهچال تیره شود، از شهادت آنها نیرویی پدید میآید، که کشورشان را پیروز میکند، و نام آزادی را با هر نسیمی، به اطراف جهان میپراکند
شیلن! زندان تو مکانی مقدس است. زمین تو حکم پلکان کلیسائی را دارد، که از فرط عبور پارسایان، جای قدمهای ایشان در آن مانده است. به جان «بونیو
Sunny
Jul 01, 2013 Sunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
really nice in places bit boring in others .. or maybe i didt have the patiance to fully apprecaite what he w writing ...

a few of my favourite bits in it ...

If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?--
With silence and tears.

In the desert a fountain is springing,
In the wide waste there still is a tree,
And a bird in the solitude singing,
Which speaks to my spirit of thee.

Miss Jane Austen'...: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LORD BYRON 1 1 Jan 22, 2015 02:14PM
How can you go wrong with Byron? 8 36 Nov 10, 2012 05:11AM
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Major Works
  • My Last Duchess and Other Poems
  • The Complete English Poems
  • Poems and Prose
  • Complete Poems
  • The Complete Poems
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Collected Poems
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r ...more
More about George Gordon Byron...

“She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow’d to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all
A heart whose love is innocent!”
87 likes