Start by marking “You Never Can Tell” as Want to Read:
You Never Can Tell

You Never Can Tell

You Never Can Tell is an 1897 four-act play by G. Bernard Shaw that debuted at the Royalty Theatre. It was published as part of a volume of Shaw's plays entitled Plays Pleasant.The play is set in a seaside town and tells the story of Mrs Clandon and her three children, Dolly, Phillip and Gloria, who have just returned to England after an eighteen-year stay in Madeira.The ...more
Published November 3rd 2006 by Hard Press (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about You Never Can Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Never Can Tell

David Sarkies
Feb 09, 2016 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Shelves: comedy
Shaw's Comedy of Errors
9 February 2016

I have to admit that I really didn't get into this play all that much, but then again I can't expect to like every one of Shaw's plays (I know that is the case with Shakespeare and the Greek playwrights). I guess there are a couple of reasons as to why I didn't particularly like this one, though one of those reasons would have to be that it is probably one of those plays that are better seen performed on stage. Mind you, even if that were the case (that is
Bettie☯
Chris
Feb 24, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
This could have been a wonderful play, and it was for most of it. But the deus ex machina in the final act in the form of our mediator was extremely frustrating. Despite this, the play is still worth it and full of great characters and wit, as per usual when one deals with Mr. Shaw.
Jenny
Sep 28, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
Read this whilst looking for possible acting scenes and was pleasantly surprised! It's funny, entertaining, with big characters and a real battle of the sexes vibe at points. I hope the scene I put forward gets picked now, I think it would be a really fun play to work on. I hope I get to see a production of it at some point, it'd be interesting to see just how extreme some of the comedy might get played.
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You Never Can Tell:-

Often when one lets it go, rather than pursue the question, the answer quietly steals into awareness, and so it happened with this play. It took some time to try to remember what this title was related to - I was sure I had read and liked it, but no clue of any sort of a connection to a story from the title in memory. Until suddenly I remembered a play, and I think this is the one.

If I am right this is about the unexpected reconciliation of a family of an emancipated woman w
Bethany
This was CONFUSING for me. I really didn't understand what Shaw was trying to get across to the audience. This was required for an English class, but we didn't actually study it, though, so that may have contributed to my confusion. Why did I have to read it? I don't know. What was I supposed to get out of it? I don't know.
Mike Jensen
Eight years on, I like this play better after a second reading. It still rather falls apart before the end and the characters still seem spokespersons for Shaw's odd philosophy of romantic attachments, but the interplay between them was more engaging this time. Entertaining, interesting to a student of Shaw, but not really a great play.
Adela63

Caoimhe O’Malley, Gloria
Paul Reid, Valentine

Dusty The2ofHarts-com
Jul 08, 2009 Dusty The2ofHarts-com rated it it was ok
Classic Play Note: Although I read these plays in high school, I now have a copy of the 3 plays noted as "read," in the collection titled "3 Plays by George Bernard Shaw"
Mike Jensen
Given how much I usually like Shaw, I may need to revisit this someday, but I did not find this early work fun or funny. Its major interest is that it is Shaw in small.
Yang
Yang rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Omkar
Omkar rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Dagnija Meiere
Dagnija Meiere rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2013
Kaylin
Kaylin rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Mehedi Hasan
Mehedi Hasan rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Steven
May 01, 2016 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays, comedy, irish
One of Shaw's comedies of manners and class that has not aged well.
Mark Woodland
Mark Woodland rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Lamis Moawad
Lamis Moawad rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Saretta
Saretta rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2016
taishel
taishel rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2009
Stephen Garone
Stephen Garone rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Roger Jones
Roger Jones rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2009
Noha Alaa
Noha Alaa rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Joseph Smigelski
Joseph Smigelski rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Saif Rubel
Saif Rubel rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Pithee
Pithee rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Alaa
Alaa rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Richard Bentley
Richard Bentley rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
  • Nightmare Abbey; Crotchet Castle
  • The Nerd
  • Gilligan's Wake
  • The Way of the World
  • The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.
George Bernard Shaw was an Irish playwright, socialist, and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, in which capacity he wrote many highly articulate pieces of journalism, his main talent was for drama. Over the course of his life he wrote more than 60 plays. Nearly all his plays address prevailing social problems, but ...more
More about George Bernard Shaw...