Start by marking “The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)

The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight #3)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,021 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
In an unprecedented literary feat, Steve Hamilton’s debut novel, A Cold Day in Paradise, captured both the prestigious Edgar and Shamus awards. Now the bestselling author presents the third installment in his critically acclaimed mystery series: a complex, atmospheric tale that will plunge listeners back into icy, unpredictable Alex McKnight territory, where the private in ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunting Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunting Wind

Michael
It's a good sign that the Alex McKnight books keep getting better. Still not as good as The Lock Artist, but Hamilton clearly cares about his craft, and there's a lot to like here. Very well paced with two very different halves of the book that really work well together. Glad I stuck with the series.
Maureen DeLuca
H'mm - ok , maybe not a true 4 star- how about a 3.5 and I'll let you decide.

Ex-Detroit police detective Alex McKnight is a private investigator in (fictional) Paradise, Michigan, in the Upper Peninsula on the shores of Lake Superior. But, before this, for a brief time - 30 years ago - Alex McKnight played ball in the minor leagues. He doesn't spend much time thinking about those days, at least not until a former teammate comes looking for him. . . .

His old friend wants him to help him find the
Mary Sue
Mar 21, 2014 Mary Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex McKnight is jarred out of his usual state of fireside numbness by the arrival of a former baseball minor league roommate. After the backslapping and introductions to Paradise, MI other hangers-on, the two retire to Alex's cabin. During the night the story unravels of his former roomie Randy's sudden appearance. And like the other Alex McK books the non-stop action begins. From the UP to Detroit to the shore of Lake Michigan to Traverse City to the UP and then the journey is repeated. We see ...more
John Caviglia
Julia
Apr 04, 2015 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Hamilton writes books that read like Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series crossed with Lee Child. His hero, Alex McKnight, is a former police officer and one time baseball pitcher living the quiet life in northern Michigan. Out of the blue, Randy Wilkins - a former baseball teammate - turns up and asks Alex to help him track down an old flame who he hasn't seen in 30 years. The story starts slowly with what seems to be a simple "cherchez la femme" mission, but it quickly emerges that virtua ...more
Janice
Book #3 in the Alex McKnight series. Love this series - this one was as good as always. This time an old friend that Alex use to play minor league baseball with some 30 years ago shows up and wants Alex to help him find the 'girl that got away' (also from 30 years ago). Finally Alex decides to help him with some misgivings which he probably should have listened to more closely. In all of Hamilton's books his endings are always surprising and different. I've found that I have a pretty good predic ...more
Eric
May 24, 2016 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I was sitting in the park in Mackinaw City one evening, enjoying the view of the bridge and reading a Joseph Heywood novel, a passerby noticed my book and recommended another UP author. Of course I didn't remember his name by the time I got to the library, but aren't computers wonderful? This is my first Steve Hamilton book. I didn't find McKnight as interesting a character as Service, but I enjoyed the story. It was a fun diversion. I want to sign on as proofreader for both Heywood and Hamil ...more
Michael T Bradley
A bit of a weaker first third than as is the norm for Steve Hamilton's McKnight series, but once you get into it, it really flows right along. I'm not a big fan of the 'but wait for THIS twist!' type of stories, but this one seemed to do it in such a way that it wasn't annoying, and it helped that McKnight himself basically ends up only wanting personal closure, not caring much about all the ifs/whys of the story.

The main issue is that the whole 'old friend with a problem' trope seemed unnecessa
Harry Roger Williams III
Complicated and rewarding. (Series) protagonist Alex McKnight is complicated (though not so much as some of the characters he encounters) and so is the plot, but letting Steve Hamilton lead us through its convolutions is a rewarding experience. It has love, treachery, gore and violence, pain and suffering, a bit of hope and a very down-to-earth hero to root for - it's the total package. Within a day of finishing it I tracked down a copy of North Of Nowhere, the next title in this wonderful serie ...more
Thomas Bruso
May 31, 2014 Thomas Bruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why is Alex McKnight's friend, Randy Wilkins, traveling 3,000 miles to Lake Superior to see him? After thirty years, Wilkins has harbored a secret--a secret that will lead him and McKnight through a treacherous night of endless darkness and violence.

In Steve Hamilton's third mysterious, atmospheric, and fast-paced thrill ride from Lake to Superior to the outer edge of madness, McKnight's friendship is tested to the limits, as dark secrets of his thirty years friendship with Wilkins will shake Mc
Jonathan
Mar 20, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The Hunting Wind is Steve Hamilton's third book in the Alex McKnight mystery series. McKnight, an ex-Detroit cop who is administering his family set of cabins in the northern part of Michigan, runs into an old friend, a pitcher back from his days as a catcher in the Detroit Tigers farm system. He hasn't seen the guy in over 20 years, since he got called up by the Tigers, and got shelled in his one and only major league appearance.

This lefty wants him to find an old flame, someone he met while in
John
Sep 04, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hamilton's series character Alex McKnight is an ex-Detroit cop now living in a remote part of Michigan as the supposedly idle half of a private-eye partnership; decades ago he had baseball aspirations as a catcher (UK readers: think wicketkeeper), but he wasn't good enough. Now, out of the past, one of his pitchers (bowlers), Randy Wilkins, reappears asking Alex, in his guise as PI, to help him search for the first girl he loved, a fortuneteller's daughter called Maria. Reluctantly, Alex goes wi
Jane Irish Nelson
When reluctant private investigator Alex McKnight is drawn into his former minor-league teammate's search for a girl he knew forty years ago, he has no idea what he's getting into. Randy, a southpaw, was always a little strange, but Alex thought he understood him. Now the search takes them from Detroit all over the Lower Peninsula, chasing leads and constantly changing stories. If this is a sample of Hamilton's writing, I can see why he won prizes for the first book in this series.
Carol
Jul 28, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one good story. Great characters with lots of twists. Hamilton is one fine writer. Entertaining. An Alex McKnight book. McKnight an ex Detroit cop living in Paradise, Michigan. One of the nice guys always ready to help out a friend. Usually ending with Alex getting his butt kicked.Alex sitting having a Canadian beer at his favorite haunt when in walks a friend he hasn't seen in thirty years..He needs Alex to help him find a girl.How hard could that be? Alex is about to find out. The har ...more
Joyce
I like mysteries because they are a sort of mental floss to me. This was a nice, quick read set right in Michigan. A former baseball teammate hunts Alex McKnight down for the purpose of having him track down the girl who got away. Of course these things are never as simple as they sound and Alex gets himself in all kinds of trouble in a fictional Lake Michigan hamlet known as Orcus Beach. The setting is a cold April much like we are currently experiencing.
Kathy McC
While I didn't find this book as enthralling as the first book by Hamilton that I read, I finished it in one evening. How can you not enjoy a book that perfectly describes spring in Northern Michigan? "It was one of those April days in Michigan where the temperature gets up to seventy and you start to think that summer is around the corner. The next day it will be thirty degrees again. But, you fall for it every time." How could I not enjoy an author who shares my love of Tiger Stadium? "They ar ...more
Andrew
Oct 05, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable, easy flowing read with a good plot and interesting characters. I particularly enjoyed how the two main characters played off each other, and found the Randy character very interesting and fun.

But it just slightly fizzled for me at the end. Not that there was anything wrong with the ending, it's just that as I was enjoying the story so much I kept thinking how much I hoped the ending would knock my socks off. I guess it just didn't...quite.

You know the classic notion that h
John Mosman
Aug 03, 2016 John Mosman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another fun mystery by Steve Hamilton. PI, sort of, Alex McKnight is off from his usual haunts in Paradise, MI. This story takes him back to Detroit where he was a cop and to a small, Lake Michigan coastal town. A friend from thirty years ago shows up unannounced asking for Alex's help. There are many twists and turns as Alex learns about his friends past, how people deal with obsession (badly) and of course murder. Fun, quick read!
Jon
Mar 14, 2014 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some truly funny dialogue in this thriller--and many surprises and twists along the way. The first half could easily have been shorter, but maybe Hamilton thought he needed a lot of space in which to hide clues. In any case the pace picks up in the second half, and all your suspicions about various characters turn out to be (sort of) true, but not in the ways you expected. A skillfully put-together page-turner.
David
Jun 26, 2016 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps as high as a 2.25. Quick page turning read. I enjoyed the first 2/3's of the tale more than the ending. I go by the GR rating scale that a two is ok., and yes it was ok, which of course means that there are much better reads out there. When I need a book to read, sitting on the beach, distracted by babes in a skimpy bikini , then this one of the goto authors to take with you. Not much attention required.
Emily Higgins
Oct 21, 2015 Emily Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspence
Randy Wilkins played on the same minor league baseball team as Alex McKnight years ago. So when Randy showed up on Alex's doorstep asking for his help, Alex agreed. This leads Alex into a confusing group of people none of whom are who they seem to be at first meeting. Once Alex committs to a course of action, he persistently follows through even when it would be best to turn his back. Good story.
Ann
Aug 17, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Alex's friend Randy comes to town and pulls Alex into a search for a woman Randy met briefly decades before. Glimpses into Alex's baseball days and how he is compelled to help others while resisting the role of a private detective. I am catching up with Alex McKnight; this isn't my favorite of the series, not bad, but not great. I had a hard time rooting for anybody in this one though I learned more about Alex. He spent a great deal of time in his car driving for hours between cities in Michigan ...more
Kat
Oct 19, 2013 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diane
Jul 26, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton that I've read, and so far it's the best. Set in Michigan, from Detroit to the UP, and with a twisty group of characters, it started out a little lame, but improved and became a real page-turner. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and will definitely read more of the series.
Perth Library
A former baseball player who becomes a police officer is wounded in the line of duty and retires to his father's cabin in the woods. When Randy, a colleague from his ball years appears, at his door, the two head out to find the love of Randy's life. Library user Muriel thought The Hunting Wind by Steve Hamilton was a really great read.
Ed
Aug 30, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the Alex McKnight series.

Alex McKnight series - An old friend tears ex-Detroit cop Alex McKnight away from his barstool in Michigan's Upper Peninsula to search for the woman he walked out on thirty years before. As the search progress, Alex learns that the job will be much more dangerous than he first thought.
Chantel
Alex McKnight agrees to help an old friend find a long lost love. But as the search deepens, he begins to realize that he is an unwilling player in a dangerous game. I don't remember reading this one. Maybe I borrowed it for Randy to listen to? 8 sound discs (7 hrs., 39 min.) Read by Nick Sullivan.
Laurel Deloria
Hamilton hascaptured both the prestigious Edgar and Shamus awards. Now the best-selling author presents the third installment in his critically acclaimed mystery series: a complex, atmospheric tale that will plunge. into Lower Michigan when an olf baseball friend comes to visit after 19 years.
Ted
Aug 06, 2014 Ted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamilton explores cons conning cons and other really dysfunctional relationships in a way that gives the main characters enough depth to make them interesting and believable despite their bizarre personalities. Throughout it, readers will recognize their own foolishness, guile and guillability. Better than its series predecesdors.
Melanie
I felt like this story wasn't as good as the first two. Also, I felt there could've been a better connection between Randy, Harwood, and Maria. I'm also wondering if any of the loose ends of the first three stories will be wrapped up in future books.
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Hunting Wind 2 3 Jan 22, 2012 05:21PM
  • Strike Dog (Woods Cop, #5)
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #2)
  • Cutter's Run (Brady Coyne, #15)
  • Known Dead
  • Shackles (Nameless Detective, #16)
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
THE SECOND LIFE OF NICK MASON, the start of a new series, will be out in May, 2016.

(Working on the next Alex McKnight book right now!)
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)
  • Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Untitled (Alex McKnight, #11)

“said. “Now that he’s found me again. Or he’d come himself. . . .” “Maria, why don’t you just sign away the full partnership money? Tell him you’ll take the twenty percent and forfeit the rest?” She looked at me. “You could stop running,” I said. “I don’t know,” she said. “Maybe” 0 likes