Start by marking “Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories” as Want to Read:
Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories

Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  2,215 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Hungry Girl mania is sweeping the nation! The New York Times bestselling phenomenon delivers even more yum-tastic recipes!

An easy-to-use cookbook containing 200 Hungry Girl recipes all under 200 calories.

Recipes include:
* H-O-T Hot Boneless Buffalo Wings
*Sassy Southwestern Roll-Ups
*Cheesy-Good Cornbread Muffins
* Holy Moly Guacamole
* HG’s So Low Mein w/Chicken
* Cheeseburg
Published April 14th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry Girl

The back cover jubilantly proclaims, "She's not a nutritionist, she's just hungry!" Flipping through, I was kind of amazed to see that more than half of the recipes were for dessert or dessert-like recipes. There was an entire chapter of cupcakes, and another one for stuff you can do with Cool-Whip. But when I looked at the ingredients list, I was kind of surprised. Almost every single recipes calls for stuff like powdered flavored coffee creamer, egg replacements, diet Swiss Miss packages, and ...more
Di
Great resource for those who are looking for quick, low-cal meals and snacks without having to invest a lot of time in prep or making them.

The cookbook takes time to introduce readers to a number of brand name products that are healthier versions of more commmonplace versions. Playing around with these ingredients allows you to do some experimentation of your own with other recipes.

The single drawback to this book is that there's a reliance on prepared/processed foods to cut back on cook time. T
Shiela
It was okay. The thing I didn't really appreciate was the fact that everything was made from artificial things (i.e.: Splenda, I Can't Believe it's not Butter, non fat everything) and though I suppose that's what makes them under 200 calories but enough with the artificial chemicals. Aren't they worse off for you than some good old fashioned sugar and butter or margarine. And I guess if you are Sugar Twinning everything, you can afford to make half of our recipes full of what is formerly known a ...more
Christine
Hands down my favorite cookbook and one of the few that I actually bought instead of just getting from the library. Love the substitutions. Not really a great cookbook for those seeking to eat more natural, non-processed foods though as many of the recipes contain artificial sweeteners and lower fat and calorie options that do seem to contain a lot of chemicals.

Many of the HG alternatives taste just as good if not better than the originals. Some of my favorites so far are the "Super-Cheesy, All-
Mare S
Ask anyone I know and they will tell you two things about me: I'm a terrible cook and I'm lazy when it comes to a kitchen. So when a fellow user of Weight Watchers recommended Hungry Girl I was a bit suspect. I'm not a cook. I'm more of a microwave something already cooked by someone else.

I started with her website and tried a few things. Simple enough.

And then I gave this book a whirl from the library. I ended up going out to buy it because it has some great ideas that don't give up taste. And
Rachel
Hungry Girl is so great at coming up with the perfect Weight Watcher friendly recipes. I love that most of her recipes are already portioned for one person, can be made with ingredients I have on hand, and are easy to make. Some of the recipes are a little complex for a small meal like this, but most of them are pretty simple. She does use a lot of packaged foods, but again, those are easier to track calories on and they are convenient. I will definitely try out some of these recipes now that I ...more
Tina
I was completely intrigued with a book FULL of recipes under 200 calories. But disappointed that many of the recipes are "empty calories". I think I may be better served with sticking to whole grains, fresh fruit, and veggies, than trying to come up with a lower calorie way to make "not potato salad". All in all, I will still use and enjoy this recipe book, but it won't be my "main" menu source of ideas.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
May 26, 2010 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to cut back on calories deliciously

3.5 stars actually

Lisa Lillien is a blogger gone mainstream author. I am now seeing her books in the grocery store. Her philosophy is to eat and to not be hungry but to cut out where ever you can. Her avatar and attitude is cute fun and positive...

She has a great website which features the latest calorie skimming foods you can easily purchase from your local grocery. (Hungrygirl.com is her site where you can sign up for daily emails for recipes and tips - which include what to eat at popular res
Caity
When I first got this cookbook I enjoyed it quite a bit, I moved onto other things and just pulled it off the shelves after a few years. There are some really good recipes in here, the reason why i rated it lower is that looking at it again I find that many of the recipes call for really processed ingredients that I really don't think are very healthy. I can still see myself using this cook book occasionally especially the less processed recipes but overall it just doesn't seem very healthy.
Erin
Wow -- what a terrific guide for dieters! From the popular Hungry Girl series, this book features 200 recipes all under 200 calories. Including fresh ideas for snacks, appetizers and drinks as well as the standard meal fare, I really enjoyed the new ideas for low-calorie, high taste treats that won't kill my weight loss plan.

However, I had one problem with the book -- many of the recipes call for a ton of ingredients. I'm on a calorie budget, but I'm also on a monetary budget. Although some of
Elyse Reardon
Who doesn't love recipes that are under 200 calories? Unfortunately, this cook book is one of those that require you to have a bajillion ingredients the average person does not carry in their kitchen before you can make any of the recipes. Although that may be the majority of cookbooks, I prefer easy recipes that call for simple things. Other than that, the recipes are super creative, yummy, and short!
Mckinley
I don't like these because ingredients are fat free this and fake that; use artificial sweeteners, etc. I tend to shy away from 'healthy' cookbooks witch feature gimmicks and tends and rely on low-fat versions, artificial sweeteners and the like.

Some health cookbooks I liked:

Eating Well, Living Better: The Grassroots Gourmet Guide to Good Health and Great Food
Read by Michael S. Fenster (cardiologist and professional chef!)

Superfoods for Women: 300 Recipes That Fulfill Your Special Nutritional N
Jessica Robinson
There were creative and appetizing recipes in this book, so it isn't a bad recipe book by any means. However, it is strictly about the calories and not about eating healthy in addition to eating low calorie. I like Lisa Lillien's books and will continue to read them, this one just wasn't what I was really looking for.
Janet Morris
I found about 4 recipes worth even considering out of the 200 that were listed. There were some interesting ideas, but the ingredient choices were just disgusting. There were a lot of recipes with empty calories, artificial sweeteners, and/or processed foods. I know she isn't a nutritionist or a food expert, but it seems that she would at least have some standards about what she was willing to put into her meals and into her body. I don't care how "hungry" she might be, a lot of the foods sounde ...more
Michelle
Picked this up from the library last night. I already have a bunch of recipes bookmarked to try out.

I tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge that uses a brownie mix and a can of pumpkin. While the taste was awesome, I just couldn't get over the texture. It was almost the consistency of circus peanuts and I just thought it was gross. I ended up throwing away most of it.

I also tried the Chocolate Cheesecake Nuggets. Those aren't bad. Very easy to make and the taste is decent. I like to let it tha
Sally
Too many dessert recipes.
Jen
I'm always a fan of low-cal cookbooks (cuz I'm always desperately searching for low-cal foods that actually taste good and are satisfying!!), but I definitely wouldn't say this is one of the better ones.
She really stresses the "low-cal" and not the "nutritious" AT ALL. So even if you're eating something under 200 calories, you still feel kinda bad cuz there is practically no nutritional value whatsoever.
Lots of emphasis on processed foods...and you can get most of these recipes online for free.
Kristen
I'm by no stretch of the imagination a Paleo-clean eating mama, but the amount of processed food used for these recipes surprised and repelled me. ALL of her sweetened recipes called for Splenda, for example. The ingredients were just bizarre... not at all the kinds of foods I would hope to find in a "healthy" kitchen. I was hoping for more recipes for chicken, fish, vegetables, whole grains, etc. What this book seemed to be, to me, was an extended advertisement for a few select products.
I liked this book because it has tons of simple healthy ideas for quick and healthy breakfasts especially. I also like the list of HG staples which resulted in my discovery of Thomas healthy start English Muffins, so much better than the original and my new fav thing. I think this book is good for people like me who are too lazy to cook and suck at it anyway, but don't want to eat crap. Also, it is cute and funny, bonus points.
TheGeekyBlogger
There were a ton of good tips in this book. I also enjoyed the creative uses of many different ingredients. This book had a little too many tofu recipes for me (I just can't handle the texture) so too many of them I could not try. I would suggest this book to anyone who likes to try new things. Do not forget for those of us on WW, the points totals are listed on her website.

Author Website: http://www.hungry-girl.com/meet/index...
Rachel
Overall I really liked the recipes and could see myself eating it. Borrowed it from the library first to see if I would like it and I think her ideas are great. I have been subscribed to her newsletter for over a year and some of the recipes have been in there, but I think I would definitely use this cookbook anyways.
Lanette
I was disappointed in this one. I curled up on the couch this rainy Sunday afternoon with pen, paper, and sticky notes, ready to devour this book (no pun intended!) and get lots of new yummy recipes. After looking through the whole thing, my paper is absolutely blank. Not one recipe that said 'ooohhh, try me!'
Kelly
Yes, these recipes all call for processed food; and yes, I realize that is not exactly the healthiest way to eat. However, as a new mom struggling to lose the baby weight, I appreciate the ease of all these recipes. Plus they are absolutely delicious. I mean, chocolate for breakfast?? Sold.
Chrissy
This just wasn't what I was looking for -- just because something is low in calories doesn't necessarily mean it's good, clean, healthy food. I'm trying to go more in line with a general Clean Eating plan, and this one just didn't work for it. For a different purpose, I'm sure it's fine.
Amber
This is a book I am borrowing from the library right now. I will be buying it in the next few weeks. I found several recipes that I can easily make with local, everyday grocery store ingredients. Also, it keeps me intrested in trying to cut calories and be healthier.
Maria
Not familiar with the hungry girl website connected with this book, I picked up this book hoping to find healthy and tasty recipes (a la Cooking Light). Instead, this is a book about junky, artificial, toxic ingredients --- can't imagine eating any of the dishes.
Lisa
I like the concept of this book, but I just couldn't get on board. The recipes are full of too many "fake" ingredients, and I'm not putting that junk in my body. I mean, I'll still use the occasional recipe with cool whip, but I have no interest in making it a staple.
Ky
I'm not as wild about this one as some of the other cookbooks by Ms. Lillien, but it's probably pretty challenging to come up with that many recipes that are 200 calories or less. I'd recommend one of her other books that have bigger ranges of calories.
Ginnie Grant
i give this little book three stars. A few of the recipes i really enjoyed, the spicy ranch chicken salad being my favorite, but just as many i really didnt care for. Lisa lillien does have a fun quirky personality and i enjoy reading whatever she said.
Penny
I got this trying to get low-cal, healthy options to add into my diet. What I found was a bunch recipes calling for liberal use of uber processed frankenfoods. I tried a few of the recipes. Most of them were just "meh." Others were frankly just disgusting.
To the negative reviewers... 3 18 Mar 01, 2013 01:39PM
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Cook Yourself Thin: Skinny Meals You Can Make in Minutes
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Now Eat This!: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Top Secret Recipes Unlocked: All New Home Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • Skinny Italian: Eat It and Enjoy It - Live La Bella Vita and Look Great, Too!
  • Rachael Ray Express Lane Meals: What to Keep on Hand, What to Buy Fresh for the Easiest-Ever 30-Minute Meals
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Cover & Bake
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • The Best Make-Ahead Recipe
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
  • Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy: A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes
The creator of HungryGirl.com shares her best tips, recipes, and advice to live a healthy and full life!"

Lisa Lillien is not a nutritionist, she's just hungry. She's the founder of Hungry Girl, the website and daily email service providing approximately one million fans with guilt-free recipes, food and product reviews, dieting news, shockers and more. She also writes weekly columns for WeightWatc
More about Lisa Lillien...
Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunches & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook The Guilt Free 3