Start by marking “Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I” as Want to Read:
Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I

Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I (Genki #1)

Genki outlines in 23 structured lessons all the fundamentals of the Japanese language. Abundantly illustrated and containing a wide variety of exercises, Genki is sure to bring vigor to your classroom! Though primarily meant for use in college-level classes, it is also a good guide for independent learners and is a nice resource book for teachers of Japanese. Genki's autho ...more
Published May 1999 by The Japan Times

To ask other readers questions about Genki I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genki I

Genki I by Eri BannoGENKI by Eri BannoA Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 by Seiichi MakinoBasic Kanji Book, Vol. 1 by Chieko Kanoみんなの日本語―初級1本冊 by スリーエーネットワーク
Best Japanese Learning Textbooks
1st out of 70 books — 65 voters
Genki I by Eri Bannoみんなの日本語―初級1本冊 by スリーエーネットワークGENKI by Eri BannoBasic Kanji Book, Vol. 1 by Chieko Kanoくもんの国語かんじ集中がくしゅう小学1年生 by 本堂寛
Best Learn Japanese Books
1st out of 65 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Taro
An exciting tale of exchange student Mary Hart from Arizona who goes to Sakura University in Tokyo.
She meets up with the handsome Takeshi Kimura and they hit off the most epic romance in the history of textbook romances. She also meets new best friend Sue Kim from Korea, and Robert Smith from England, Michiko Yamakawa, Ken, Mr. Yamashita, a whole host of friends.
Share your panic with Mary as she thinks Takeshi abandons her on their first date... {spoiler} he thought she said Mo's Burger, when Ma
Bine
Oct 17, 2016 Bine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Endlich komplett durch mit dem ersten Textbuch!
Japanisch lernen macht mit diesem Buch wirklich Spaß, nicht zuletzt, weil die Charaktere der Dialoge und Aufgaben eine nette Geschichte erzählen, was einen gerne weiter lernen lässt. Das Buch ist sehr logisch aufgebaut mit einem Dialog, den neuen Vokabeln, einer Grammatiksektion, Übungen und hilfreichen Ausdrücken. Sicherlich auch für das Selbststudium gut geeignet, zumal man die Dialoge mit der beigelegten CD auch hören kann.
Selten stößt man aber a
Jessica
Aug 07, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It taught me Japanese. Also the bane of my existence, at times.
John Lee
May 10, 2016 John Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本語
Sorry! It’s been a while. After reading at a decent clip the first half of the year, I haven’t read a book in about six months. Given that I famously do not have much going on in my life, it may be a mystery as to what the hell I’ve been doing with myself. I haven’t gotten a life, nor have I started exercising or eating better or anything else people might do. I’ve instead started learning Japanese, and this textbook, which came highly recommended across the internet, was part of how I did that. ...more
sorina
The Genki 1 textbook was a wonderful introduction to the Japanese language. The material is presented in a clear and succinct manner, and I find the explanations generally easy to understand. The textbook presents to you all the necessary information to learn a particular grammar point, but it also includes extra information for those seeking it. I felt that the vocabulary words introduced in each chapter were appropriate and generally useful.

The only part of the textbook I thought was lacking w
Brett
May 09, 2012 Brett rated it it was ok
I used this text when I taught Japanese in the University of Minnesota's Japanese department. I thought it was an okay book/system. Here are some thoughts:

There was a bit much focus on handwriting.

There was little focus on showing how grammar principles relate to one another. Rather, each principle was a standalone concept.

Many examples related to drinking and partying. I know the intended audience is university students, but do we have to assume that they are studying Japanese in order to enric
Alexander
Jan 13, 2009 Alexander is currently reading it
I have seen your pages so many times in the last 10 years. Sweet, sweet, Genki 1.
Brendan
Aug 17, 2012 Brendan rated it it was amazing
I've owned a lot of Japanese textbooks but I have to say that the Genki series (I an II) are the best that are out there. Each lesson is broken down into useful vocabulary, a couple of conversation with the grammar point included, an easy to understand explanation of the grammar point(s) with lots of good examples, some exercises to help you practice and then some oral conversation activities to practice in groups or pairs. There is also a matching kanji lesson for each lesson although I did not ...more
Angelica
Jul 28, 2012 Angelica rated it it was ok
This book is ok (I read the second edition). So far it is one of the better ones I have read when it comes to learning Japanese. One of the main problems I have with this book is the vocabulary they have you learn. Some of the words in the book you will not use that much. The audio cd is really helpful when it comes to how to pronounce the vocabulary in the book. This is a good book if you want to teach your self Japanese. But if your using this book for a class be really careful because ...more
Phylicia
Jul 09, 2009 Phylicia rated it really liked it
After a year of Yookoso-based Japanese language study, I came to Japan on an exchange, and went into an intensive-style class using Genki II - which was completely confusing, because Genki I taught so many practical grammar and vocab that my Yookoso-based studies left out (by both reading Yookoso and using a text made by my Japanese department that was based on Yookoso). Just say no to Yookoso.
Cindhi Cintokowati
Feb 03, 2013 Cindhi Cintokowati rated it it was amazing
if you are a real beginner in Japanese, and you want to study it in a simple and easy way.. this book is the perfect guide for you! it provides you with new key vocabs at each chapter which is frequently used in daily conversation. In no time, you'll find yourself familiar in simple Japanese conversation and are able to actively involved in it. Love this book!
Irene
May 30, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: Ιαπωνικά
Yayyyy!! We made it through the first part of elementary japanese *without any losses haha* :D
I'm so happy, and Genki was a very very helpful book -wish it had more informal dialogues in it though!-
Anyways, so excited for the good beginning we made *yikees!*
Annie
Not as thorough or clear as other language books but this one is fun. Fun is one of the most important aspects in learning a new language.
Mary
Dec 31, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING help! Really worth the money, time and effort if you are learning Japanese.
Stephanie Dayonot
Sep 20, 2016 Stephanie Dayonot rated it it was amazing
I haven't attempted to use any other textbook to learn Japanese because this is the book all my elementary Japanese classes used. Looking at it, I probably could have learned straight from the book because it's really good at explaining the grammar points. The examples are relevant (most of the time) to those that are only learning to travel. I think it's also adorable that there's kind of a love story that bloom between the little cartoon example characters.

My entire class really loved this te
Angelina
May 15, 2016 Angelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently self-learning Japanese. However, I have a regular 9-6 job so finding time to squeeze studying in can be difficult. I am using a good variety of books & tools for study - including Japanese From Zero! 1, GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Workbook I, and two online resources that I absolutely love: Japanese-lesson.com & NHK World | Easy Japanese. In addition to these, I also listen to some Japanese music & watch anime in Japanese.

Genki is a formal textbo
Jakub
Jan 11, 2013 Jakub rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good textbook, although you could feel it's dated - even the second edition. On a plus side, it talks about non-polite version of verbs pretty early. On minus side, I find the layout of the material weird. Perhaps it's just a result of my undying love for Japanese the Manga Way.

I've skimmed this book, as I'm more or less familiar with the material in this volume. Some good tips there, but hard for me to tell how useful the exercises are, as I haven't done any. This book will probably do just fi
StrangeMechanism
Oct 15, 2015 StrangeMechanism rated it liked it
This is the textbook used in a majority of college courses, and is generally considered to be the gold standard for Japanese at this level. After finishing it, I can see why that would be. The structure of the lessons is well put together, giving you sufficient practice on each grammar point before moving onto the next. It's not just a one trick pony grammar book either, you'll also be working on your listening, reading and writing. As well as walk away with a (small) handful of useful vocab and ...more
Mar 18, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Fairly good instruction, though I wish they would explain some things more beyond, "this is just how it is in Japanese." I hate how they keep romaji around at all. It's very distracting when reading, and doesn't help. The sooner you memorize hiragana and katakana, the happier you'll be, and the easier Japanese will be for you.

I do like the layout, with vocab, grammer, and the reading to help bring it all together. The pictures are helpful, and clearly represent what they are supposed to. They do
Agnieszka
Dec 20, 2015 Agnieszka rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book series of elementary Japanese for everyone (who can speak English, though) to take up and then polish their Japanese skills. I really liked the layout of each chapter and its consistency - starting it up with a dialogue (translated), vocabulary bank, grammar bank and then, when you're ready to go - the exercises, including the listening.

However, it's advisable to purchase the workbook as well, as all of the writing systems, namely hiragana, katakana and then kanji, as well as th
Leifer
Jun 18, 2010 Leifer rated it liked it
This relies heavily on a complementary CD, which is sometimes helpful, and sometimes not. Since i went through this as a textbook, I probably didn't have the casual reading experience.

However, I didn't always find it easy to follow. The book assumes that you follow its internal logic/navigation system, which I never quite clicked with. I wanted/needed to see many more examples of verb conjugation, etc. and they simply were not provided. You would not a lot of outside help to actually learn thing
Kyleen Valleaux
Jan 02, 2015 Kyleen Valleaux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the textbook that is typically used in a Japanese class. I did finish the books and lessons last may.

It is quirky and I wouldn't necessarily recommend using this as self study. I took a college class and it was still challenging. The book doesn't necessarily explain things that well and an instructor is really helpful in clarifying some of the topics.

The plus of the text is that it comes with an MP3 CD and there are hours of listening that go with the lessons. They read the dialog and t
Mislav Blažević
Dec 06, 2015 Mislav Blažević rated it really liked it
Shelves: japanese
I have used this book for self-study along with The Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. Even though the topics covered in this book are not covered in as great detail as in the aforementioned dictionary, I strongly suggest it as a gentle introduction to the Japanese language. Without having a solid foundation, the dictionary can be overwhelming to read and that's exactly where this books comes in.

Grammar explainations are clear, straightforward and easy to follow. Admittedly, the story is a st
Lara
Jul 30, 2012 Lara rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really good text book, for the most part, although I did have a few issues with it. For instance, not all words or phrases introduced in the chapters are included in the index, which frustrated me on numerous occasions, and, at times, explanations about grammar are not very clear. I have been using this book in a class room setting, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to use for self study, but I had a much easier time with it than most other language text books I've used ...more
Marie Bergström
May 24, 2015 Marie Bergström rated it it was amazing
The whole Genki package is great material for the ardent student that wants to learn REAL Japanese and not risking to sound like a four year old when speaking to older or higher ranking Japanese people. If you do selfstudies I highly recommend the "package" of the text- AND workbook. I also recommend getting the Kodansha's Furigana dictionary to compliment the somewhat scarce vocabulary at the end of Genki Textbook.
This will help me get my N5 in Japanese in a couple of days.
This is not a book
Jenn
Mar 16, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Ah, Genki. My first in-class Japanese textbook. I've been through many beginner's textbooks- but Genki I and II are certainly my favourite!
The Genki books go through the basics of Japanese grammar, vocabulary and kanji in a very simple but comprehensive manner. The exercises are a great way to push the grammar into your long-term memory. As an in-class textbook, it provided a very simple framwork for us to use- but it makes a great self-study tool as well. As long as you're correctly supplementi
Jenni
Blev klar med Japanska Grundkurs 1 som täckte kapitel 1-6. Resten kommer att behandlas i Grundkurs 2 som jag inte har läst än. Kommer nog att läsa klart boken men vet ej när. Kanske när jag ska läsa fortsättningskursen eller by myself.

Bra bok, med exempel och romanji i texterna i början. Väldigt pedagogisk.

Klar med första delen i juni när vi tentade av den!
Sharon
Nov 19, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
I found this book very helpful and informative as well as easy to navigate. Though my Japanese friends say that sometimes the grammar/word choice is a little weird, I think it provides a solid foundation for beginners and also forces you to learn hiragana and kanji rather than rely on romanji which is essential to learning Japanese.
Connie
Nov 11, 2009 Connie marked it as to-read
Shelves: language
Found this at Half Price Books the other day and I couldn't very well pass up the chance to get it. I feel like instead of pokemon I collect Japanese study materials. anyone no idea how it is yet as i only flipped through a couple of pages, but I figured it would be good to use a new book to study from, rather then do that same things from the books I've already used.
Mark Taylor
Jan 27, 2014 Mark Taylor rated it it was amazing
Excellent instructional book. You could read it outside of a class, but you'll get a lot more out of it in a class or working with a tutor. The concepts are presented clearly enough, but you'll want someone to check your work on the exercises. I still need to work through all the exercise in the accompanying workbook and there's still a lot to memorize.
Workbook Help! 1 7 Nov 11, 2014 09:13AM
book topics 1 10 Jan 28, 2010 02:20PM
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary #1)
  • Basic Kanji Book, Vol. 1
  • All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
  • Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication: A Self-Study Course and Reference
  • Japanese Grammar
  • Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
  • Let's Learn Hiragana: First Book of Basic Japanese Writing
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference
  • Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Japanese Step by Step : An Innovative Approach to Speaking and Reading Japanese
  • Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
  • Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese (H)
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • Read Japanese today
  • Dirty Japanese: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*%# Off!"

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Genki (5 books)
  • Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I - Workbook (English and Japanese Edition)
  • Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese (Answer Key) (Paperback)
  • GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese, Vol. II
  • GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese [ Workbook II ]  初級日本語 げんき ワークブック II