The Year of Jubilo

The Year of Jubilo (Lucinda Wyman #2)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  7 reviews
After her father dies, fourteen-year-old Lucinda and her family struggle to make a new life in a small town on the coast of Maine where they once spent their summer holidays.
Published March 1st 1970 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1940)

Annette
I give this book 4.5 stars. This is the sequel to Roller Skates which won the Newbery sometime in the 1930's. This book is SO much better than it's predecessor! When I read Roller Skates I was disappointed because it was hard to believe that it was written by the same person who wrote Maggie Rose: her Birthday Christmas (which I love) but with this book it was easy to see that the person who was inspired to write a book as beautiful as Maggie Rose could also write The Year of Jubilo.

This book i...more
Anna
"I think friendship needs to be written about. It is a solemn and a lovely thing, and I think it deserves a lovely service said over it like marriage. That would keep you from accumulating too many friends of the kind that never really belong."
Maureen E
We revisit Lucinda from Roller Skates, several years older and suffering from the recent loss of her father. This has a very different feel from Roller Skates. Older and less exuberant. But Lucinda is still Lucinda and it’s a beautiful book. [Oct. 2008]
Melinda
This was a clean, refreshing story of family togetherness. It wasn't a "gripping" story, but was very well written. I found myself wanting to underline sentences and phrases constantly.
Fran Caparrelli
Every sentence is a feast of words - gives a new perspective on the Civil War and the aftermath in the everyday lives of those who survived.
Wendy
Sep 28, 2008 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: Melody Murray
I missed New York, and Lucinda being totally crazy; but as a book, I liked this better than Roller Skates.
Deena
Mar 27, 2009 Deena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I didn't care much for Roller Skates, but I liked this a lot.
Sara Friga
Sara Friga marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Shannon L.
Shannon L. marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Mikayla Torres
Mikayla Torres marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mandalyn
Mandalyn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Emilee Romano
Emilee Romano marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Beanie
Beanie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ciara Thrower
Ciara Thrower marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne is currently reading it
Blane
Blane marked it as to-read
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Rili
Rili marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ruth Sawyer, was an American storyteller and a writer of fiction and non-fiction for children and adults. She may be best known as the author of Roller Skates, which won the 1937 Newbery Medal.
More about Ruth Sawyer...
Roller Skates Journey Cake, Ho! The Way of the Storyteller The Wee Christmas Cabin of Carn-na-ween The Christmas Anna Angel