Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
read book* *Different edition

Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The next volume in the prize-winning and greatly acclaimed complete adaptations of Wilde’s tales presents “The Devoted Friend” on what constitutes real friendship, and “The Nightingale and the Rose” a stirring story of sacrifice to love with a cruel twist.
Published September 1st 2004 by NBM Publishing (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde

Richard Houchin
Oscar Wilde is the man. His fairy tales are as timeless and classic as Brothers Grimm, and as witty and sharp as something written by Oscar Wilde.
Andrew Anony
Two of the best of Wilde's Fairy Tales adapted brilliantly by P. Craig Russell. This is a masterclass in comic adaptions.
Rachel
I picked this up randomly while looking for books for my son, for summer reading. The book features two fairy tales created by Oscar Wilde, but they (The Devoted Friend and The Nightingale and the Rose) are rather dark tales. The Devoted Friend is about little Hans, a generous soul who gives and gives to his "friend" the Miller, while the Miller gives nothing in return. Little Hans dies at the end. I had never read this story before, but I had read the second story before. The Nightingale and th...more
Viri
This book contains two stories, one who is titled the devoted freind, and is being told by a green linnet to a water rat, it is about how friendship works and he gives him an example about what friedns should do for each other, the little bird was trying to teach him the moral of the story but the water rat was annoyed by it. next we hear about a young student who is in need of a red rose, and a nightingale conviced of the studetns true love trades in his life for a red rose, it all is in vain a...more
Emily Bardin
This book is part of a series of graphic novels illustrating tales written by Oscar Wilde. This book illustrates his stories "The Devoted Friend" and "The Nightingale." Both stories give morals in an Oscar Wilde fashion, with plenty of irony and sarcasm.

This book was a fun read. The language of Wilde is captured wonderfully in the words. The artwork conveys the tone of each story.

D.M.
Jun 15, 2010 D.M. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cynics of every age; fans of gorgeous comic art
Wow, now THESE are what I'd expect of Wilde doing fairy tales! SO cynical, such a harsh view of love & friendship (though not in that order), that I really hesitate to read them to my kid (which is their main purpose right now, at her behest). Fortunately, the morals of the stories (and really most of the plot) are going right over her head, and they're just amusing little tales to sit alongside Goldilocks, Rumpelstilskin and the rest.
The main attraction in this series is, of course, Russell...more
Mariam Abood
I have absolutely no idea what this book was about either but it made more sense than The Happy Prince so I'm going to give it three stars, since I'm biased when it comes to Oscar Wilde.
Margaret
Depressing, but pretty.
Maria
Aug 07, 2011 Maria added it
What can be said, I love Oscar Wilde. Almost everything he has written (his plays, novel, short stories, poetry, letters). His wit sparkles. From this collection the Nightingale and the Rose, as well as the Devoted Friend are wonderful fairytales. So simple, but so moving. Highly recommended for adults or children.
Allison
Beautiful artwork, of course, which is why I picked this book up in the first place. My only complaint is that my library doesn't own any more in this series. Ah well. Good weekend reading.
Sarahyi77
Love his stories, my daughter loves them as well, really great to read to kids 9 and up, some for younger...they are all sooo unique and some have such great underlying messages.
Lauren
I found this little treasure at a comic book store in Portland. Both stories are dark, tragic, and cynical. I loved them.
Peacegal
This was very cool. I enjoy fairy tales and fables, especially those with a darker edge to them.
Nic
The illustrations are beautiful, as is the writing, but the tales are so sad!
Sabrina
Depressing... but I guess I'm cynical enough to have enjoyed it.
☯Bettie☯
Hugh Taylor
Hugh Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Ehabib
Ehabib is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Sakina
Sakina marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Nathan Harris
Nathan Harris marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Cathe
Cathe is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Linda
Linda is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Bettina De Ocampo
Bettina De Ocampo marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Wendy
Wendy added it
Jul 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost

“She said that she would dance with me if I brought her red roses," cried the young Student; "but in all my garden there is no red rose.” 2 likes