Start by marking “Touchpoints Essential Reference” as Want to Read:
Touchpoints Essential Reference

Touchpoints Essential Reference

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  905 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
All over the U.S. and in over twenty countries around the world, Touchpoints has become required reading for anxious parents of babies and small children. T. Berry Brazelton's great empathy for the universal concerns of parenthood, and honesty about the complex feelings it engenders, as well as his uncanny insight into the predictable leaps and regressions of early childho ...more
Published January 28th 1994 by Perseus Publishing (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Touchpoints Essential Reference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchpoints Essential Reference

Lisa
Mar 31, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, professionals, or anyone who interacts with very young children
Brazelton is amazing. He's like the anti-Spock (Dr., not Mr.). His astounding insight into what kids are doing that's normative and necessary and developmentally important when what we see is "the terrible twos" or the like should be required reading for every parent and professional that works with parents of very young children. Someday I hope to develop a tiny fraction of his ability to reframe behaviors that seem impossible and contrary and awful as critically important, fascinating, and eve ...more
Kristen
Jul 26, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I found some of the thinking in this book outdated and some of the language irritating -- it seems to be written as a manual for pediatricians rather than a book for parents. He talks about the ways he handles office visits and what he looks for in children and parents at various stages of development (the "Touchpoints" -- or moments of contact when parents bring kids in for well-baby/child visits and he can assess development and provide hints for developmental stages). My pediatrician recommen ...more
Jan 29, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not actually read the entire book, just the sections that were relevant to my child in that particular age range. My AP playgroup is discussing this and the 3-6 book next month. I'm not sure why it was suggested, since the section on sleep is not an attachment parenting approach by any means. Brazelton, like so many American "experts", is preoccupied with the notion that infants must become independent as soon as possible, that child who cosleeps will be t ...more
unperspicacious
Recommending how-to books for bringing up the kids is pretty problematic. Unlike other literature it cannot be simply evaluated ex-post reading or reflection, but ideally has to be mulled over well after one's little tyke has become older than the age range covered by the book itself - which in most cases takes YEARS. How else does one test out the ideas and practices advocated in these pages?

Childcare in any case is so personal, especially when it comes to the minute, almost mundane details. M
A.L. Sowards
This book was OK. Half the time I was thinking "this makes sense" and half the time I was thinking "I so don't think so". The book was organized into three sections. The first was chronological development--but it focused more on what a great doctor the author is at each appointment and less about what to expect at each age. The middle section was better. It was organized by subject and was more helpful. The last section on the role of various people in a child's development was so/so.

I would s
Carly
Apr 12, 2008 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After completing my Masters in Child Development I consider this book a must for all parents, educators, psychologists, social workers, individuals working with children or individuals trying to deal with adults with arrested development (a little sarcasm).

T Berry Brazelton has a very pragmatic approach to child-caring and development yet he has an understanding and calming tone. Written as a dialogue you can pick it up, put it down, read only what relates to you, and read it over and over.

I gi
Robin
Jun 04, 2009 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I quit. I can't even finnish this book. There's quite a lot of good information in it. I don't agree with some of it, but that is immaterial. This guy has such a cocky attitude that I just don't want to hear what he has to say anymore. Before I got half way through, I decided I'd only read the parts that were relevant to my kid's developmental stages or issues we've had in our family. Even skipping parts, I can't bring myself to finish the last 100 pages. Unless I have a specific question, I don ...more
Anne
Feb 18, 2014 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished the first section of this book and already have a few comments.
1. The paternalistic tone of the descriptions of the doctor's visits was annoying to me. Obviously, the doctor is the star of this book more so even than the children or the parents.
2. The doctor visits are highly idealized. He describes baby behavior, which did not fit my own child at all. He remarks how he plays with the child and does all these things to make the child happy- going so far as to have the family
Shaz
Jun 24, 2015 Shaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this book and don't see any problem with the idea of children independently sleeping alone (I co-slept with my parents as a kid but craved sleeping on my own as my dad and mom snored ;)). I had mixed feelings about the aspect of toilet training - my sister successfully got her kids potty trained by 2 years old so to allow the child to decide that gives me mixed feelings.

The cognitive / motor skill development which occurs at every stage of childhood was insightful and informativ
adri patamoma
Jul 30, 2011 adri patamoma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
com a notícia da chegada do meu sobrinho, corri atrás de livros sobre bebês! não querendo ler tudo o que existe por aí, procurei saber de pessoas queridas quais as melhores obras que falam de gravidez, dos primeiros anos do bebê, sobre o bem-estar e a felicidade do neném e dos pais, etc e tal. este livro do dr. brazelton me foi recomendado como *o* livro pra se ler, por um amigo-médico-querido, e passou, depois de lido, a ser o que recomendo, também: se você vai ler só UM livro sobre a vida do s ...more
Rachel
Oct 22, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
The real reason I wanted to check this book out is because one of my good friends swears by this book, says it helped her immensely with her first child, who is nearly two. I have been trying to figure out how to properly discipline my child as nothing seems to be working very well. He just says use time-outs but make them short and hug them afterwards, and not to use any physical discipline. The time-outs don't really seem to be working, so I am at a loss of what to do next.

As others have said
Caroline
Dec 14, 2013 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brazelton clearly thinks a great deal of his "Brazelton method" (which from what I can gather from the many references made to it throughout the 'Touchpoints' book consists solely of his own opinions and carefully selected studies which are at least a decade out of publication). As a whole there is little to recommend this parenting manual over any other published in the last 10 years. The sections on Potty Training, Snacking and Masturbation are probably the most detailed and therefore potentia ...more
Jenny
Aug 01, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touchpoints: Birth to 3 informs parents of the touchy transition points of a baby/child's development, physically and emotionally. The first section covers the ages of each doctor's visit and explains what you can expect, generally. Section two is a reference for all sorts of topics from fevers to bed wetting to siblings...it really offers a wide variety of subjects. Section three talks about the main people in baby's life: parents, grandparents, caregivers and pediatrician.

The woman who teaches
Shana
I'm glad I found a copy at my library's used book sale. This is the kind of book a parent might want on hand to look at each time her baby is getting nearer the age described in the book. I like it because it seems to focus on normal development in babies from a renowned pediatrician but without the medical industry broo-ha-ha that other series tend to have (I'm looking at you, "What to expect...") It's not a catch all reference, just a guide to the normal developmental, emotional, and behaviora ...more
Jul 31, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to every new parent. I LOVE this book. If you were to read only one book on your child's physical and emotional development, this should be it.
Lucy Davidson
Loved this book! We are currently going through this training at Ellis for our Early Education Center to become a touch point center. It's an amazing way to assess childhood development and what to expect month-to-month with both progression and regression. I'd highly recommend to any parent!
Janine
Apr 03, 2014 Janine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't read the whole book because I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but I really liked Brazelton's approach, specifically how I didn't feel like I was being judged or forced into doing something. That's how I felt with a lot of the other books I've sampled. I felt this information was informative about what babies do at each stage of their development and what pediatricians look for at visits. The one sentence I liked the best was: "ultimately, parenting is trial and error." I never t ...more
Bsal
Jan 30, 2014 Bsal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Recommend by our pediatrician and I was not ... on the same page as the author. To each his own... parenting style.
Sara
Sep 02, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended on a mothers' message group, so I thought I'd check it out. I have to admit to skimming the first little bit and only actually reading the 18-mo through 3 years parts (already past the other stages). I didn't care for the parts I read. He makes way too many assumptions (your child will do this, your child is doing that) that, at least in the case of my son, aren't at all accurate. And that made it hard for me to accept his advice in other areas. When he's so wrong about some ...more
Arctic
May 19, 2008 Arctic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
informative, comprehensive and easy to read. written by a pediatrician. my favorite of the baby books.

my one issue with this book was that as Aliera got older, it was kind of stressful for me when she wasn't doing what the book said she would be doing at that age. sometimes she was early, sometimes late. in the end I just had to learn what my daughter's timetable was and go from there, regardless of any books. sleep issues, weaning, and potty training were the notable problem areas.
Cari
Jul 11, 2011 Cari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: needs-a-re-read
There's no question that I did not give this book a chance, so I'm shelving it on the "needs a re-read" shelf. But the author just really rubbed me the wrong way from the start. The tone feels like "look what a great pediatrician I am" and "this is what I do that's so wonderful" which left me feeling like if I didn't have him, I've got nothing. I've heard it's a good book for the big picture development of kids, but I'm going to leave this one to Josh to read and try another for now.
Michele
Would really give it 2.5. Quick skim, nothing mind-blowing but it confirmed a lot of what we thought re: development.
Kimberly
Jun 19, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kimberly by: Cassandra
Shelves: parenting, own
I read this book at someone's recommendation, but I wasn't all that impressed with it. It turned out to be more of a reference guide for how to deal with behavioral issues than a book about what you can do to encourage your child's development. I will keep this one on my shelf to peer in periodically, but at this point I'm disappointed. Maybe it will be more helpful in the future if my daughter actually has emotional/behavioral problems (of course I'm hoping she doesn't though).
Celina
May 20, 2007 Celina added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Care-givers
Shelves: have-read
I was a teenager and addicted to a show he had on Lifetime. In his show,he talked to groups of parents and I was fascinated, read his book and managed to drive to Boston and meet him.

What I remember most about his writing is that he stresses that while there are developmental markers or "touchpoints" that a child normally goes through, they don't have to happen in the same chronological, linear fashion that people sometimes expect.

Laura (Kyahgirl)
When my babies were little I read widely, especially when my first baby was born prematurely. My husband and I were pretty much completely on our own, and she was a baffling, squalling, miserable creature for months on end. This book offered insights into infant and toddler development and had many useful points. I don't think there are any 'one size fits all' baby books out there. You take what you can from each book.
Caitlin
May 31, 2012 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own, children
This book is informative, open-minded, and not alarmist, three very important qualities for a book aimed at new parents. This was not the most entertaining of the parenting books we read (that honor goes to Bringing Up Bebe), but it's already our go-to reference when we're concerned our little guy isn't eating enough or wondering what questions we should be asking in a daycare interview. This book is good stuff.

Brooke
May 21, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I can't say that I read every page of this book but whenever I would think "Is that normal?" I would consult the book and often, yes, my daughter's behavior was explained as normal for her age (phew!). I should've read ahead for the period of time that was coming up next but even though she's not three there is still time for that and for me to continue to be comforted by the words of wisdom inside!
qurat
Aug 05, 2007 qurat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents/grandparents
Shelves: parenteering
Brazelton is amazing! The examples, advice, and analysis made me feel my parenting experiences and child's behavior fell within the range or normal (which you often tend to doubt during this business of parenting). This book is an educated parents' and psychology buff's kind of guide to childhood. I wish I were able to blend two fields of study as harmoniously as has Dr. Brazelton!
Amber
I haven't finished this book and I don't think I'm going to. When I was looking for child development books a few months ago, this one was recommended amongst the others and while its good, the information I was looking for is more clearly given in the Louise Bates Ames books and I much prefer them. This one seems to be written more to medical practitioners than to parents.
Nicole
Jun 16, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not so much like the "yard stick" approach many books take on child development. very little room for freaking out ... not the "oh, my he's not doing that yet, is everything alright???" school of paranoia/hypochondria-inducing texts. just nice to know what to look for and approximately when some things might happen. also, it doesn't point any fingers ...
Parenting Multiples 1 1 Jul 15, 2008 08:40AM
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, Revised and Updated: The Complete Guide
  • Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Revised)