Start by marking “United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State” as Want to Read:
United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State

United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State

Loving cake is a natural part of Warren Brown’s constitution. Now, in order to form a more perfect union of flour, eggs, butter, and sugar, he’s offering his unique take on classic dessert recipes from all fifty states, plus Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.

Starting out with Baked Alaska (what else?), Brown tours the whole country, updating regional confections like King Ca
Published April 1st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about United Cakes of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about United Cakes of America

Dawn
Jul 17, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
To be honest, I flipped through this cookbook more on the walk home then when I got it home. Nice coffee table book as several friends and family who visited in the past few weeks enjoyed flipping thought and looking at the recipes and photos. Most of the cakes seemed fairly easy to make and there were a few with some very interesting ingredients (sauerkraut, tomato juice). If you like cakes, you will enjoy this travelog through the US.
Em
Jan 31, 2015 Em rated it liked it
Despite my 3 star rating, I love this cookbooks. I really like how he has split ingredients into stages. It's easy to read and most of the cakes are easy to make. The reason I am only giving it 3 stars (which it is really 3.5) is because I have noticed in a few recipes that they have left out ingredients. For example, I recently made the St. Lois Gooey Butter Cake. In the instructions for the topping they make a reference that you shouldn't be alarmed if there remains lumps of cream cheese and b ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Love this book, love Cake Love (in D.C. - get yourself there if you're in the area)! The photos and even the recipes aren't as elaborate as some other great cake/baking books, but that's part of what makes it a great, real, for real, book - a collection of cakes from across the U.S. The recipes are written in part: wet, dry, creaming ingredients, which is kind of interesting. Potato starch - not so easy to find the right stuff - and super fine sugar are used throughout, and when you bite into a ...more
Jul 27, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I'm just skimming through this book right now but I LOVE cakes and cake cookbooks. The real test will be when I make a few of them.

Ok, I finished this one. I haven't baked anything yet so I'll update when I do BUT I'm very optimistic. I'm a cake person and I feel like these recipes will be good. The author obviously knows his ingredients and gives very good advice throughout the book as well as historical/factual "did you know" tidbits throughout the recipes.
Amanda
Jul 31, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, cookbooks
LOVE this book! I return to it again and again. The caramel cake is fantastic - and without the caramel glaze, it makes for an excellent all-purpose cake. The chocolate chip cake was a big hit as well. Just made the Mississippi Mud cake tonight and it's delicious, but a little messy!

Like others, these frosting recipes weren't my favorites, but the cake recipes have all been wonderful. Looking forward to trying the Smith Island cake next!
Orea
Jul 23, 2010 Orea rated it really liked it
I have only made one cake from the cookbook so far but it was actually quite good. Banana, apple walnut cake!
This is a cookbook that you can sit down and read from cover to cover because there is a ton of interesting information in it.
Just - The romance reader
Jul 20, 2010 Just - The romance reader rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-library, cookbook
Great design, gorgeous photos and tempting recipes. The concept is really cool, a cake recipe paired up with the US state that is famous for it. Each recipe includes a short history of the cake and why it is paired with its state.

This book would make an excellent gift for a baker.
Lori
Mar 17, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Lots of delicious looking and sounding recipes. Tried the Red Velvet Cake recipe. Yummy cake but didn't care for the frosting. Just a personal preference...I prefer CreaM Cheese Frosting.
Abraham Ray
Nov 02, 2011 Abraham Ray added it
Recommends it for: cake lovers
great cookbook for those that like cake,I pu t2 of the recipies from this book on food.com.
the recipies that I pu ton that web site are coca-cola cake & pumpkin pancakes.
tiffany
although quite fun to read the various cakes matched from state to state, there are almost no pictures and for a book like this i really feel pictures were a must.
Denise
Jan 18, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. He features a cake recipe from every state. There are a lot of fun facts to read about cakes and US history!
SallyHP
Apr 28, 2011 SallyHP marked it as to-read
I got this book at Henry's book fair and it's great! Not only are there recipes, but it also provides fun historical info on each cake and the reason they chose it for that state.
Stephen Francis
Stephen Francis rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Beth W
Beth W rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2011
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2016
Victoria Nicholson
Victoria Nicholson rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Doreen Hendrix
Doreen Hendrix rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Eva
Eva rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Serena
Serena rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Lanette
Lanette rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Kurt
Kurt rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2012
Sunil Jawahir
Nov 11, 2012 Sunil Jawahir rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite baking cookbooks and always trustworthy for anything last minute.
Penny Fordham
Penny Fordham rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2011
Jill
Apr 08, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
lots of interesting recipes, tips, and histories behind state favorites/inspired cakes.
Laurel
Laurel rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Alanna
Alanna rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Brown makes you want to run to the kitchen and start baking!"
More about Warren Brown...