Start by marking “United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State” as Want to Read:
United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State

United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Loving cake is a natural part of Warren Brown’s constitution. Now, in order to form a more perfect union of flour, eggs, butter, and sugar, he’s offering his unique take on classic dessert recipes from all fifty states, plus Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.

Starting out with Baked Alaska (what else?), Brown tours the whole country, updating regional confections like King Ca
Published April 1st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about United Cakes of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about United Cakes of America

Dawn
To be honest, I flipped through this cookbook more on the walk home then when I got it home. Nice coffee table book as several friends and family who visited in the past few weeks enjoyed flipping thought and looking at the recipes and photos. Most of the cakes seemed fairly easy to make and there were a few with some very interesting ingredients (sauerkraut, tomato juice). If you like cakes, you will enjoy this travelog through the US.
Elizabeth
Love this book, love Cake Love (in D.C. - get yourself there if you're in the area)! The photos and even the recipes aren't as elaborate as some other great cake/baking books, but that's part of what makes it a great, real, for real, book - a collection of cakes from across the U.S. The recipes are written in part: wet, dry, creaming ingredients, which is kind of interesting. Potato starch - not so easy to find the right stuff - and super fine sugar are used throughout, and when you bite into a ...more
I'm just skimming through this book right now but I LOVE cakes and cake cookbooks. The real test will be when I make a few of them.

Ok, I finished this one. I haven't baked anything yet so I'll update when I do BUT I'm very optimistic. I'm a cake person and I feel like these recipes will be good. The author obviously knows his ingredients and gives very good advice throughout the book as well as historical/factual "did you know" tidbits throughout the recipes.
Amanda
LOVE this book! I return to it again and again. The caramel cake is fantastic - and without the caramel glaze, it makes for an excellent all-purpose cake. The chocolate chip cake was a big hit as well. Just made the Mississippi Mud cake tonight and it's delicious, but a little messy!

Like others, these frosting recipes weren't my favorites, but the cake recipes have all been wonderful. Looking forward to trying the Smith Island cake next!
Just - The romance reader
Great design, gorgeous photos and tempting recipes. The concept is really cool, a cake recipe paired up with the US state that is famous for it. Each recipe includes a short history of the cake and why it is paired with its state.

This book would make an excellent gift for a baker.
Orea
I have only made one cake from the cookbook so far but it was actually quite good. Banana, apple walnut cake!
This is a cookbook that you can sit down and read from cover to cover because there is a ton of interesting information in it.
Lori
Lots of delicious looking and sounding recipes. Tried the Red Velvet Cake recipe. Yummy cake but didn't care for the frosting. Just a personal preference...I prefer CreaM Cheese Frosting.
SallyHP
Apr 28, 2011 SallyHP marked it as to-read
I got this book at Henry's book fair and it's great! Not only are there recipes, but it also provides fun historical info on each cake and the reason they chose it for that state.
Abraham Ray
Nov 02, 2011 Abraham Ray added it
Recommends it for: cake lovers
great cookbook for those that like cake,I pu t2 of the recipies from this book on food.com.
the recipies that I pu ton that web site are coca-cola cake & pumpkin pancakes.
tiffany
although quite fun to read the various cakes matched from state to state, there are almost no pictures and for a book like this i really feel pictures were a must.
Denise
I enjoyed this book. He features a cake recipe from every state. There are a lot of fun facts to read about cakes and US history!
Sunil Jawahir
One of my favorite baking cookbooks and always trustworthy for anything last minute.
Jill
lots of interesting recipes, tips, and histories behind state favorites/inspired cakes.
Traci
Awesome cake recipes from all over.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Sylwia Sullivan
Sylwia Sullivan marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Wffr
Wffr marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Lisa A Roy
Lisa A Roy is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Brown makes you want to run to the kitchen and start baking!"
More about Warren Brown...
Cake Love: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch CakeLove in the Morning: Recipes for Muffins, Scones, Pancakes, Waffles, Biscuits, Frittatas, and Other Breakfast Treats The Chicago Cubs Francis Birtles Pie Love: Inventive Recipes for Sweet and Savory Pies, Galettes, Pastry Cremes, Tarts, and Turnovers