A Most Scandalous Engagement (Scandalous Lady, #2)

A Most Scandalous Engagement (Scandalous Lady #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Could she be the brazen lady who posed for the scandalous portrait?

Lady Elizabeth Cabot is no longer the reckless girl she once was. Now the darling of the ton, she is determined to put her past behind her. But who would have imagined that one immodest act could throw her entire world into chaos . . . and force her toward a loveless marriage? In desperation, she approaches...more
Published November 30th 2010 by Avon

A Secret Affair by Mary BaloghSnow by Tracy LynnThe Confessions of a Duchess by Nicola CornickA Winter Scandal by Candace CampA Lady Never Surrenders by Sabrina Jeffries
Raving in Red
74th out of 115 books — 5 voters
Sweet Annie by Cheryl St.JohnAgain the Magic by Lisa KleypasJust Like Heaven by Julia QuinnThe Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia QuinnCourting Miss Hattie by Pamela Morsi
Best Friends to Lovers Historical Romance
36th out of 40 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Mary
Is this a first book? This feels like a first book. Transistions and backstory are very poorly done, characterization is minimal and unbelivable. I didn't read the first book, and won't go looking for it based on the writing in this one.
Ada
Kate
This was enjoyable. I did feel a bit lost here or there due to the fact that I hadn't read the first one. Otherwise, not bad.

UPDATE:

Apparently, I liked it better the second time around. I don't know what it says about the book or about me that I just discovered that I actually had read it in 2011 and had absolutely no memory of it throughout my second reading.

Finished 05.11.2011 and 02.10.2014.
Monica
I loved this book but I felt the end was a little abrupt. Still give callen props for writing such awesome books!
Maryanne
very enjoyable
Lilah Chavez
I didn't like the female characters at all. Elizabeth was just ugh, Mary Ann I just wanted to smack. Peter could've been a great character. usually Callen could do a great book , but what happened ? The plot seemed a bit hurried and not convincing. The only reason I.finished reading it wad because I bought the book. Sorry Callen, but I'm hoping for Leo's and Susannah's story is better, it can't get much worse than this.
Donna
I really enjoyed this, I couldn't put it down. I loved Elizabeth, she and Peter were made for each other. My only negative is that Elizabeth's angst and self-doubt did come across as too over-wrought to be really believable at times. I really like the way all three books in this trilogy are occurring parallel to each other. I can't wait for the last book.
Saral
Tabetha Waite
I didn't care for this book from the beginning, mainly because of the initial interaction between the MCs. I felt that there was too much conflict and not enough to recommend Elizabeth or Peter. For the writing style alone, I choose not to finish the book :(
April
I definetly felt like you need to have read the other books in this series to understand what is going on. Plus the characters never really came alive for me.
Eve
I enjoyed it..it wasn't really a great read per se, but I liked both their characters and the fact that he was a commoner gave it a bit of a different edge.
Elle
I think this book must be late in a series. There's a lot of stuff that's talked about in the story as if the reader must already know.
Fay Ann Hollcroft
I don't know what it is but every time I start to read one of Gayle Callen's books I cannot seem to be able to put it down. THEY ARE GREAT!
Carrie (elphaba) Selusnik
The second in the series, and I really enjoyed it as much as the first. Looking forward to the reading more from Callen.
E. R.
The first one grabbed my interest better than this one. I'll provide a better review at a later date.
Heather Fischer
Ok book. It didn't hold my interest as much as other books of hers that I have read but it was enjoyable.
Andrea Jackson
Good, sexy. The set-up was a little unbelievable. Now I have to get the rest in the series.
Melanie
...but what about Susanna....hopefully there is a third book to this series to finish the story.
Melissa
Not nearly as good as the first book in the series.
Chriscilla Quintana
LOVED IT! LOVED IT! LOVED IT!
Donna
Great book.
Sara
Sara added it
Jul 08, 2014
Nancy Marshall
Nancy Marshall is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
  • A Gentleman Always Remembers (Willowmere, #2)
  • Never Trust A Rogue (Heiress in London #2)
  • Seduction Wears Sapphires (Jaded Gentleman, #2)
  • The Duke's Night of Sin (Seven Deadly Sins, #3)
  • Reese's Bride  (Bride's Trilogy, #2)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
  • Wicked Nights With a Lover (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #3)
  • To Desire a Wicked Duke (Courtship Wars, #6)
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • The Secret Desires of a Governess
  • Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman (London's Greatest Lovers, #2)
  • The Sins of Lord Easterbrook (Rothwell #4)
  • The Bargain Bride
USA Today Bestselling author Gayle Callen writes historical romances for Avon Books. Her twenty-first novel, Redemption of the Duke, was published in May 2014.

Gayle’s novels have won the Holt Medallion, the Laurel Wreath Award, the Booksellers’ Best Award, and finaled in the National Readers Choice Awards. She was a nominee for RT Book Reviews Magazine’s Reviewers’ Choice Award. Her books have be...more
More about Gayle Callen...
The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1) In Pursuit of a Scandalous Lady (Scandalous Lady, #1) The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3) Never Dare a Duke (Sons of Scandal, #2) Never Trust a Scoundrel (Sons of Scandal, #1)