Start by marking “DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven, #1)” as Want to Read:
DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven, #1)

DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven #1)

The High Queen is dying...

At the royal summons, Shae mounts a wingabeast and soars through the air to the high hold of Faeraven, where all is not as it seems. Visions warn her of danger, and a dark soul touches hers in the night. When she encounters an attractive but disturbing musician, her wayward heart awakens.

But then there is Kai, a guardian of Faeraven and of Shae. S
Published June 29th 2012 by Harbourlight Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about DawnSinger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DawnSinger

Shantelle
DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt was a good book. Really interesting and well-written. But I think I need to read the next book in the series before I form my full opinion! Anyway, so far, intriguing new Christian fantasy series!
Holly Weiss
Fantasy is not my usual genre when I reach for a book, but Janalyn Voigt has won me over with DawnSinger, Book One in her Tales of Faeraven series. DawnSinger transports the reader to an enigmatic and endearing alternative history. Princess Shae and Kai, her protector, navigate a journey through a rich Renaissance-like fantasy world.

This is fiercely inventive storytelling with fluid, descriptive prose and consistently time specific dialogue. Brimming with imagery and symbolism, the book delights
Jill Williamson
Jul 28, 2012 Jill Williamson rated it really liked it
When a royal summons arrives from the High Queen, Shae travels to Faeraven to find the queen on her deathbed. But something else is not right. Dark visions haunt her, so she stays near to Kai, a guardian of Faeraven. A urgent journey to release the DawnKing sends Shae and Kai far from home where they battle many beasts. But sometimes victory comes only through surrender.

Here is the first in a new fantasy series for adults. But older teens will enjoy it too. In DawnSinger, Janalyn Voigt has penne
JoJo Sutis
Feb 03, 2013 JoJo Sutis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it-2013
Fans of Christian Fantasy Fiction will NOT want to miss DAWNSINGER!!!
Janalyn Voigt has reminded me of all the things I love about this genre…the beauty, the adventure, the epic-ness.
I really cannot believe I did not discover this author/series sooner!
I highly praise Janalyn’s addictive writing style- she really sucks you into her fictional world….I didn’t want to leave!
The main characters Kai & Shae are not only likable and relatable, but believable ( I really need my characters to come to l
Larry B Gray
Jun 12, 2012 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing
What a fascinating story and adventure. DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I read it. Its fast paced action and evolving storyline made it hard to put the book down. The storyline was easy to follow and the characters were well developed and believable.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next installment.

I highly recommend “DawnSinger” by Janalyn Voigt as a must read for all age groups. If you enjoy fantasy adventure you will love this b
Author
Jun 26, 2012 Author rated it it was amazing
I loved reading DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt. I was taken back to a time of the Renaissance and saw myself in the main character, Shea. We all fight the demons in the shadows that exist in our own imaginations and I was blessed with Shea’s struggles and triumphs. I read the book on the edge of my seat. I could not put it down. I wanted to ride Wingabeasts with Kai and Shea forever. But alas the story came to an end…or did it. I cannot wait to read the sequel! Thanks Janalyn for an amazing story.
Candace

**2.5 stars / 5.0 stars**

DawnSinger is definitely not a bad book, in case that's how you interpret a 2.5 star rating, yet this book just didn't resonate with me personally. I read it in one day, so this book was by no means a chore to get through, but nothing really made it stand out. After all, there's nothing I love more than a fun fantasy adventure, but even though DawnSinger started with a lot of promise, I felt that it never really took off.

Essentially, all the exposition in the first part
Aug 17, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the request of Lof Raelein, High Queen Maeven, Shae, Princess of Whellein, flies off on Kai’s wingabeast to be at the Queen’s side as she lay ailing close to death. Amidst rumors of danger about the Welkes, giant creatures of prey, Kai and Shae risk their lives to be at Lof Raelein’s side. Kai is a Guardian of Rivenn and Maeven’s personal guard. He is also the known brother of Shae.

Secrets are unveiled, and Shae must make a dangerous trip to Lohen Keil to release the DawnSinger by singing Kun
Christine Lindsay
Dawn Singer by Janalyn Voight is such a delight to read. As an old fan of the Dragons of Pern series and of course, The Lord of the Rings, etc, it was great to find a new author who can wing me away on a fantasy novel. I’ve been looking a long time for a novelist who can take me to a world of wing-a-beasts, sword-play, evil in the dark shadows, and glorious light in the frail but stalwart heroes, as well as a sweet and breath-taking love.

There’s plenty of action and danger in this story of Shae
Kimberly
Feb 15, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janalyn Voight took me on a wonderful adventure to a beautiful, exciting fantasy world. The reader is treated to a realm of emotions in this fairy world. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel to this book in a way I have not in quite a while.

Voight has a fresh voice that takes the reader to a world of Renaissance times where fairies are near and there are conflicts between ruling families.

I would recommend that anyone who enjoy fantastical tales that take you to other worlds and time.

I was given thi
Donna
Jun 29, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Love and duty...faith and trust...all wrapped up to make this quest one of discovery. What a phenomenal story. Well written like the best in fantasy - certainly a match for Tolkien and the best of this genre.

Ms. Voigt has woven a tale that carries you along on the wind of the journey. You'll smile and laugh and cry and gasp at times as she guides you on this quest along with Shae and Kai.

Excellent story!
Pamela
Aug 16, 2012 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book and let me tell you, this is some amazing writing! I'm not much on fantasy and can't even imagine creating whole new worlds but this book grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go. I read it in one day - forgetting all other things I had to do....the setting, descriptions and poetic prose kept me turning pages and I can hardly wait for the second book in the trilogy!

Disclosure: I hosted a spot on the blog tour for this book and received a copy for review.
Preeti
MY TAKE ON DAWNSINGER:

General Overview:

I really don’t know why, but throughout the book I couldn’t stop comparing the flow of the book with that of a river- a river that flows calmly at its own pace. The book was a pleasant read. Although being a part of a series, it gave a sense of completion at the end. The fantasy world was so ethereal, so beautiful, so mesmerizing. Inspite of few points which created obstacles in making me get connected with the book, I was totally in awe with the world-buil
Victor Gentile
Aug 12, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janalyn Voigt in her new book, “DawnSinger” Book One in the Tales Of Faeraven series published by Harbourlight Books takes us into the lives of Shae and Kai.

From the back cover: The High Queen is dying…

But then
Sarah Gunning Moser
Aug 20, 2012 Sarah Gunning Moser added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Sarah by: My writers' group
DawnSinger centers on Shae and Kai, protagonists sent on a perilous journey to serve their kingdom and fulfill destiny. Fraught with political danger and intrigue, riveting battles, and a quest not unlike that for the Holy Grail, DawnSinger describes a world that doesn’t exist…except in our minds. Shae and Kai battle evil but also confront their personal foibles and demons.

As an English teacher and student of medieval history, discovering Janalyn Voigt’s writing was a delight. With a bold, clea
Brit
Jul 31, 2016 Brit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The DawnSinger was a refreshing piece of Christian fantasy fiction. I’m always, always on the lookout for well done Christian fantasy or science fiction because I feel like it’s just a rare gem to find it. DawnSinger is a gem.

This was one of those books that was reminiscent of one of my all time favorite books and authors, The Crown of Eden by Thomas Williams. There are many scriptural analogies, symbolisms and a lot of rooting for good to overcome evil in both. This didn’t quite execute as cle
Ryanpaigehoward
Jul 26, 2012 Ryanpaigehoward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been following Janalyn Voigt for about a year now. Eagerly waiting for her fantasy debut to release. DawnSinger will forever go down as one of my all time favorite books. Epically beautiful are perfect words to call it.

From the very first page you are sucked into a fast flying adventure. I finished DawnSinger in two days and wondered back to it for days afterwards. My mind could not escape the wonderful tale I just read. Kai and Shae were so real that is was hard to say goodbye to them.

Ther
Tracy Krauss
Jun 27, 2012 Tracy Krauss rated it it was amazing
Dawnsinger is one of those books that draws you in and won’t let go. It is definitely allegorical but not to the extent that it becomes cliché. Shae, the heroine, is whisked away to the Faeraven by her brother Kai, in service to the dying queen. An epic adventure ensues – too much to go into detail here, but suffice to say that it embodies the quintessential struggle between good and evil. I will be reading the sequel Wayfarer as soon as I can get my hands on it. After about page two, I literall ...more
Rachel Leightman
What a marvelous book! I just finished "Dawn Singer," and I can hardly describe how much I loved it! The writing was beautiful, the setting imaginative yet believable, the characters complex, and the story compelling.

I loved the world that the author created; it was so well-developed I kept flipping to the map and index at the back of the book for reference (I can't recall ever doing that before). My favorite thing about it, though, is that the soul and body in her story are blended in a way tha
Forrest Schultz
Jul 17, 2012 Forrest Schultz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faeraven Enters The Mythosphere

A review of

Janalyn Voigt DawnSinger (Harbourlight Books, 2012)
342 pp $16.99 ISBN-10: 1611162009 ISBN-13: 978-1611162004

Reviewed by: Forrest Schultz

The Mythosphere, discovered by Dianna Wynne Jones, is expanding at an ever increasing rate as ever more great fantasy worlds are produced. The latest entry into Faerie is named Faeraven by its creator, Janalyn Voigt, whose debut novel DawnSinger takes us there via the unforgettable tale of Princess Shae, who through
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
I found this story to be quite amazing and full of adventure and suspense! Shae and Kai are brother and sister, or has there been an alteration of the truth to protect ones real heritage! When Kai starts to figure out that their relationship is a lie, he starts putting together the truth of what the future has in store. Once Kai finds out the truth he becomes her protector in the story. The first half of the book is plot after plot of what is happening in the High Queens Court. The second half i ...more
M. C. (MagsTheBookWorm)
Jul 18, 2016 M. C. (MagsTheBookWorm) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
DawnSinger is a fantasy adventure and the first book of the Tales of Faeraven series. The main character, Shaenalyn (Shae for short), is summoned from her sheltered life as a princess of Whellein to the deathbed of the High Queen. While there, she finds out that most of her life has been a lie - one fabricated to protect her in order to secure the fate of the realm. With several friends, she sets out to sing the song that will raise the DawnKing from his slumber to save the lands from an ancient ...more
Kristen Stieffel
Oct 11, 2011 Kristen Stieffel rated it it was amazing
Kai and Shae, the central characters in DawnSinger, are intriguing and engaging. They’re been raised as brother and sister, but Kai knows this is a ruse. Shae’s true identity has been concealed for her own protection. This puts an unusual twist on their relationship, especially when the court minstrel starts flirting with Shae. The romantic element is a relatively small part of the story, but it’s filled with unexpected intricacies and ties firmly into the main plot.

The first half of the book is
Gina Burgess
I highly recommend you NOT get the eBook version. I did not know there was a glossary at the end that would explain SO much about things I was clueless about. I wondered the whole way through why didn't the author write in such a way to explain some things. Why were all these creatures named these weird things that had a Celtic ring with no explanation. However, I really liked the way the wingabeasts were explained with nothing more than that the creature whinnied. Ah! Pegasus!

Ah well, the writi
Amy
Apr 25, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dawnsinger by Janalyn Voigt was a true fantasy. From a brand new world and interesting creatures she created, to a riveting story line. I do admit that I did get confused in some parts with all the different types of animals and places I was not familiar with. However, there is rather an extensive glossary at the back of the book that provided me with a road map of sorts. This was a very interesting story and at times I had trouble coming back to the real world after reading it. I really liked h ...more
Kimberly
Feb 26, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy and Adventure
This is a tale filled with lands only imagined and characters both intriguing and terrifying. The land and everything the reader encounters is richly described to make everything seem quite imaginable and real. All fans of fantasy genres will be excited to become acquainted with the world of Faeraven.
The story is a typical fantasy, with much drama and strange occurrences. The characters are quickly brought into your heart so I found myself holding my breath many times while
Ellayne Shaw
I would give this a 3.5 star rating. That is, I enjoyed the story and the created fantasy world and mythology very much. I can clearly picture the world in which the story was set, and that doesn't always happen when I read a book. The various concepts unique to this world--the shil shael was especially interesting to me--are well wrought. In fact, the world building alone was just top notch. A lot of details made the world come alive. I also appreciated the christology of the novel. It was ther ...more
Carrie Gould
Mar 15, 2014 Carrie Gould rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Janalyn Voigt has invented a fantasy world that is believable. The main characters, Shea and Kai, were likable and I was drawn in by their story and challenges. The descriptions were detailed enough to give you an idea of the strange creatures and circumstances you expect to find in a fantasy, and vague enough that you could also draw on your own imagination. I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to the next book in the series.

I received a copy o
Donna Mcginnis
Mar 13, 2014 Donna Mcginnis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love fantasy books and this is one of the best that I have ever read. What a well written and imaginative story. This book comes to life and I could picture myself with Kai and Shae and the other characters seeing what they saw and the perils they faced. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Full of secrets unveiled, evil, danger, adventures, suspense, intrigue, faith and an unlikely romance.Also loved the poetic prose and the glossary and map were a big bonus. Can't wait to read the next book in ...more
Yvonne Marron de Martin
Apr 06, 2013 Yvonne Marron de Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It was an exciting book with beautiful descriptions of the landscape. With enimy infiltration, assasins and the beginning of battles/war for the "crown". During a journey to the place from whitch the peace saviour must be released, there are attacks from different kinds of dangerous animals and magic as well. Its also a story about growing love threatened by black magic. The first part I would without doubt give 5 stars. But the second part I found to som extent repetitive so I think 4(+) stars ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Christian Readers: Christian Allegorical Fantasy Giveaway 1 7 Oct 30, 2012 12:27PM
  • The Rude Buay Trilogy
  • Hunting
  • Judge (Books of the Infinite, #2)
  • Dragon Frost
  • Eye of the Sword (The Angelaeon Circle, #2)
  • High Witch (High Witch, #1)
  • Merlin's Blade (The Merlin Spiral, #1)
  • Lark's Quest (The Deeds of the Ariane Novellas, #1)
  • Dust (Of Dust and Darkness, #1)
  • Dragon Empire
  • The Phantom Queen Awakes
  • Morning Star (Equinox #1)
  • Caterpillar (The Metamorphosis Trilogy #1)
  • The Glass Castle (Thirteen #1)
  • Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World
  • The Ale Boy's Feast (The Auralia Thread, #4)
  • Tremors (Stone Braide Chronicles, #.5)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
Join Janalyn Voigt's Story Circle and escape into creative worlds of fiction.

I'm currently working on DawnKing, the third installment in my Tales of Faeraven epic fantasy trilogy, and a yet-to-be named romantic suspense novel set in Ireland. Soon I'll also write Deceptive Tide, part of a linked-fiction romantic suspense series set in the San Juan Islands. As you can probably guess, my writing lif
More about Janalyn Voigt...

Tales of Faeraven (2 books)
  • Wayfarer (Tales of Faeraven, #2)