Start by marking “The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes” as Want to Read:

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,650 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews

Now, Nixon combines some of her tastiest recipes in The Happy Herbivore Cookbook, each made with no added fats, using only whole, plant-based foods. It’s
Published February 1st 2011 by BenBella Books (first published January 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Herbivore Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happy Herbivore Cookbook

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
12th out of 237 books — 332 voters
The China Study by T. Colin CampbellWhole by T. Colin CampbellEat to Live by Joel FuhrmanForks Over Knives by Gene  StonePrevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.
Plant-Based Diet
7th out of 77 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jan 28, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all vegans; all cookbook collectors; those who want to eat lower fat versions of favorite foods
Recommended to Lisa by: Lindsey
My new definition of torture? Reading this book while hungry, and it was only slightly less painful to read when not hungry because almost everything looks so delicious. As I read, I started making shopping lists of ingredients I’d need to buy in order to make a few of the recipes. I can remember doing that with only a couple other cookbooks.

I stayed up very late at night (early morning) to finish this book. That’s how engrossing it was for me.

And I loved the adorable little elephant that appear
Clackamas
May 06, 2012 Clackamas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
First of all, I'm not vegan. Second, I'm one of those people who just KNEW I could never give up cheese. But in the interest of health, I decided that incorporating some vegan dishes would do me some good. I was all gung-ho and bought several cookbooks. This is the only one I use regularly.

Here's the thing: Ramen is vegan. French fries are vegan. Onion rings are vegan. Many vegan cookbooks have animal-product-less recipes, but they are not necessarily healthy. The recipes in this book are healt
Sara
Mar 18, 2015 Sara rated it did not like it
I was really excited to buy Lindsay's books. After trying most of the recipes in multiple books, I threw them all out. These recipes are so bad, and Lindsay's advice is so bad, I don't want to subject anyone else to them. Some of these "recipes" aren't, like chickpeas mixed with salsa. Others don't work (caramel apple muffins), and some just taste bad. The few decent recipes are plagiarized from cookbooks published years earlier. The reason I'm throwing the books out is because Lindsay fancies h ...more
Rachel
Feb 17, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I came across HappyHerbivore.com this past summer and fell in love with the delicious and simple recipes! Whenever I heard a cookbook was coming out, and being an aspiring vegan, I HAD to buy it. This is definitely my new favorite cookbook.
Jenni
Feb 06, 2011 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-drink
I love it! Easy to follow recipes, common (easy to find) ingredients, and my favorite feature of any cookbook: plenty of giant, full-color photos. It's always great to see another awesome vegan cookbook on the market and I'm proud to add this one to my collection. I've been a vegan for about 8 years, and I love cookbooks like this one because they help confirm for the omni-world that vegans do have tasty, delicious, and yes, still healthy things to eat. The Happy Herbivore blog, Twitter, and Fac ...more
Leigh
This book may appeal to new vegans or people who are trying to cut down on their meat consumption. But for an old timer like me, I found it filled with the same old renovated American/Tex-Mex comfort food done by every vegan with a book deal every few years. Based on the rave reviews for this book, I was disappointed to find nothing new to try. I won't be transitioning this library book to my permanent collection.
Kim
Mar 31, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
I am not a Vegan, but I try to eat healthy and avoid meat. I am really trying to like this cookbook, but after trying at least 15 recipes, the only thing I can recommend so far is the banana bread. Sometimes I think Vegans have gone so long without good food that their taste buds forget what good food tastes like.
Aubrey
Jan 13, 2012 Aubrey rated it it was amazing
So I've been really wrapped up with DIY projects and recipe making that I haven't read as much. Yet this is the cookbook that I made most of those recipes out of.

Hands down the best vegan cookbook I've come across yet! Bold statement, I know. But do you know that feeling of when you pick up a cookbook and flip through the recipes, deciding which ones you will try and it's only really a handful? Well I didn't get that feeling with this cookbook.

What I loved about it:

1) It's low-fat, in that she
Crystal
Feb 23, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is Lindsay's first cookbook, but the second one I read. I love that her recipes make cooking and eating vegan EASY as well as tasty. Clearly I'm not the only one--she's shot to cooking stardom from her start on her blog, and just look at the raving reviews quoted on the cover and inside this book. Sure, there are the occasional recipes that taste a little odd if you're not used to vegan food. But most people will tell you that if you're trying to go vegan, don't start with making substitute ...more
Katie
Aug 27, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
I really love this cookbook. It's really perfect for the ordinary person who doesn't want to spend hours in the kitchen making gourmet meals every night. That is the problem I've run into with a lot of vegan cookbooks (cookbooks in general), they are to fancy. I just want a cookbook that's easy, has ingredients I can find at the supermarket and makes over some favorite comfort foods. This is it.
Naomi
Jan 05, 2016 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A favorite cookbook, this provides a great introduction to plant-based eating reflecting the findings of The China Study. Most recipes are fairly easy and can be followed by the advanced beginner or beginner cook. Some, like making some sauces, requires advanced beginner knowledge of how thickening occurs and comfort in judging thickness.
Gail
Jan 28, 2016 Gail rated it liked it
This book is fine. I find the author quite likable, but I'm just so-so on the Happy Herbivore recipes. There's a pretty consistent use of garlic powder and onion powder, which I don't like seeing so heavily across the board. Same complaint across all of her books. But I'm in the minority - people love it, so check it out for yourself!
Hope
Aug 21, 2016 Hope rated it really liked it
This is a nice cookbook. It's got simple recipes for good food. I've only enjoyed about 50% of what I made from this book. The author has a love affair with mustard and salt (i.e. soy sauce) that I don't share and once I realized I needed to cut the amounts of those ingredients in half I had better success. Still, it's a nice book, good pictures, common ingredients and food you might actually want to eat. I really enjoyed some of the salads I tried. :-)
Carole Cornell
Jan 18, 2015 Carole Cornell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
happy herbivore does not disappoint!

This is an excellent resource for people like me...new to the whole food, plant based eating plan. Great recipes, easy to follow directions, and happily, i have most of the ingredients already on hand.
Jan 04, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-read
I'm always on the lookout for new meatless recipes, but unfortunately this wasn't what I was looking for.

I really wanted to like it, but I found the recipes disappointing and didn't find many of them particularly appealing. Far too much baking and a lot of reliance of wheat-based ingredients. The few recipes I was comfortable trying weren't that great - I have similar recipes that are better.

It is well organized, and the instructions are very clear. It would be very easy for beginners to follow,
C.J. Prince
Oct 26, 2011 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing
If you're in the doldrums when faced with a dinner decision, this book will whet your appetite and raise your eyebrows and delight your palette.

A gift from my daughter...who was born a vegan and then drifted. She kept talking about the book, how delicious the recipes were and how much weight she'd lost without thinking Weight Watchers. wow. then, surprise, the book comes in the mail, a gift for a life.

There are crazy combinations and they all taste fabulous. Really, you simply must taste the gar
Sabine
Mar 11, 2015 Sabine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
tasty ideas

Enjoyed the recipes with Indian and Ethiopian spices. Cannot wait to try the some of the breakfast recipes, esp. The Nomelette. I like that recipes are no or low fat, no added oils. Healthy!
E St
Jan 20, 2013 E St rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: cookbook, vegan
This is one of the better cookbooks when it comes to vegan cooking; all of the recipes I've tried are easy to make, taste delicious, and they work!

Many vegan cookbooks have recipes that don't actually work, and they get good reviews from other vegans even though the recipes are shite, and so you'll see not so good books with good ratings - but this is one cookbook that actually deserves a stellar rating.

I think that this would work for people who are just starting out a vegetarian lifestyle beca
Krista McCracken
Sep 08, 2012 Krista McCracken rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I liked the organization of the cookbook, but found some of the recipes a bit too reliant on artificial ingredients for my liking. There is a myriad of TVP recipes, and a 'fake' meat section that I didn't find too helpful. Similarly, some of the food photography displayed dishes that didn't look all that appealing. By the looks of things some of the artificial ingredients could easily be substituted out and many recipes could be made vegetarian instead of strictly vegan.

I really loved the symbo
Jenny
Sep 27, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
Who "reads" cookbooks? I had never. I usually look through them, but not read them like a real book. But when The Happy Herbivore came in the mail, I read it. I started by just reading the beginning, and then my curiousity got me going and I kept reading. And kept reading. And kept reading. Until it was done.

I wanted to have a cookbook that gave me good options for healthy recipes. So far, there are some I like, some I love, and there was one that was...not good...but Callie and Samantha still a
Britt Taylor
Apr 04, 2013 Britt Taylor rated it it was amazing
This cookbook shows you that you can make delicious moist baked goods easily, vegan, and FAT FREE! The ingredients are simple and clean, the techniques are possible for anyone, and you won't understand why on earth you ever added oil to all that stuff in the past. There are simple day to day easy recipes, as well as quick stock basics, like vegan fat free mayonnaise, that you can whip up in a sec and never have to buy again.
Another note on the baked goods, which are only a small portion of this
Natalie
Dec 13, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Her recipes are delicious and very user friendly. They are generally easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find. It really makes being vegan a whole lot easier.
Dianna
Jun 03, 2016 Dianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: plant-based
This is a solid plant-based cookbook. Some recipes rely on meat substitutes, which I don't use, but there are many good ideas and recipes in here. I love how simple they are; I can get something tasty on the table in no time. So many vegan recipes have huge, daunting ingredient lists calling for things I've never heard of and fifty-seven steps. Not these.

As far as I know, this is Lindsay S. Nixon's first cookbooks. She creates amazing recipes. Her subsequent books do have recipes that improve o
Azyogini
Oct 31, 2014 Azyogini rated it liked it
I'm a foodie. I'm a vegan. Overall, I find whole food/plant based cook books to be filled with bland recipes that require a lot more seasoning than the recipe suggests. And this is no exception. For those of us who eat for health, Nixon offers some intriguing ideas, but vastly under seasoned and bland. Her baked goods recipes are fine but over sugared. I use half of the sugar suggested if that much. Sugar is just as bad as fat to our health. I'm a good cook, maybe some would consider me a gourme ...more
Christine Turner
Jul 25, 2014 Christine Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Vegan chef of one of the top 50 food blogs on the Web, HappyHerbivore.com, Lindsay Nixon, gives hundreds of thousands of her followers recipes each month, showing that the vegan diet is not only healthy but delicious, too.Now, Nixon combines some of her tastiest recipes in The Happy Herbivore Cookbook, each made with no added fats, using only whole, plant-based foods. It's easy to make great food at home using the fewest number of ingredients and ones that can easily be found at any store, on an ...more
Karen Kobylka
Jan 02, 2016 Karen Kobylka rated it it was amazing
I use this cookbook on the regular! Love the simple ingredients supporting a whole food plant based no oil lifestyle!
Jean
Mar 01, 2014 Jean rated it liked it
This cookbook has some really wonderful recipes that I'm excited to fix and share with my family and friends.
Michelle Talley
Jan 03, 2016 Michelle Talley rated it it was amazing
Amazing cookbook! So glad my hubby gave it to me for Christmas!!!
Sonya
Jan 04, 2015 Sonya rated it really liked it
Easy, tasty recipes without a lot of hard-to-find ingredients.
Alisha Hanson-Glatzel
Aug 17, 2012 Alisha Hanson-Glatzel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, cookbook
I have been busy cooking away and my family has been busy gobbling up all the delicious meals!

I love that Nixon's recipes are not only vegan but fat-free or law-fat. You don't miss the meat and you certainly don't miss the fat.

So far, my favorite recipes are:

1) The brown gravy for potatoes (amazingly de-lish without any meat products to flavor it & probably one of the most flavorful gravies I have ever made).
2) The Hippie Loaf (without bread, meat or dairy - this thing takes a while to pul
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
  • Vegan on the Cheap
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
Author of the Happy Herbivore Cookbook series and CEO of Meal Mentor

Download your FREE 7-day meal plan at http://bit.ly/2a03dwN
More about Lindsay S. Nixon...

“One acre of land can produce either 20,000 pounds of potatoes or a measly 165 pounds of meat.” 1 likes