Start by marking “Temporary Sanity: A Crime Novel” as Want to Read:
Temporary Sanity: A Crime Novel

Temporary Sanity: A Crime Novel (Marty Nickerson #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A brilliant new legal thriller, set on colorful Cape Cod, from the author whose debut novel, Absolute Certainty, won raves for its fresh voice and its passion for the law.

When can a citizen become a killer? Is homicidal insanity ever a moral or legal justification for murder? And what should a jury do when the facts are clear but they don't tell the real story?
Cape Cod
Published July 8th 2003 by Scribner (first published June 17th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Temporary Sanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temporary Sanity

Kathleen Hagen
Temporary Sanity, by rose Connors, A-minus.
Narrated by Bernadet Dunn, produced by blackstone audio, downloaded from audible.com.

I like these books about attorney Martha Nickerson. I think I must actually by accident have hit the second book in the series. In the first book, Absolute Certainty, Marty was working for the prosecutor’s office and had done so for ten years. But she had a falling-out with her boss, and resigned from the prosecutor’s office at the end of the book. In this second book,
Mary
Jan 31, 2013 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
When devoted father Buck Hammond's seven-year-old son is abducted and murdered by convicted pedophile Hector Monteros, Buck takes justice into his own hands. Unfortunately, the television cameras were rolling as Buck aimed his hunting rifle at Hector's head and shot him dead. The only viable defense for a charge of murder one is insanity, but the grieving father refuses to say he was crazy when he pulled the trigger.

Cape Cod defense attorney Marty Nickerson - until recently a Massachusetts pros
Priya
One of the best crime novels I have read ever, Temporary Sanity pulls you in from start to end. If I wasn't already in bed and it wasn't 2 am, I might have also given the climax a standing ovation. Rather, I felt my face inexplicably awash with hot tears. This story is thoroughly engaging, vivacious and moving. Connors throws in just the right quantity of ingredients to make one helluva quality story. She weaves tender emotions within a fragile network of questions that society has rarely faced ...more
Ajitabh Pandey
A court room drama where an attorney tried to defend using a temporary insanity plea. Very beautifully written and at no point of of time it looks like slow. There is another story about a battered women running parallel in the book, which is somewhat related to the main plot. Defending a man, when the murder have been captured in camera is quite difficult and the Marty Nickerson had a tough task in front of her, especially when the judge seems to be biased and prejudiced against the defendant. ...more
Haku Pawa
Cuando un ciudadano puede convertirse en un asesino? en su nueva función tiene que revivir la historia en el juicio, cuando el hijo de Buck de siete años de edad, fue violado y asesinado por el pedófilo Héctor Monteros, Buck tomó la justicia por sus propias manos. Por desgracia, las cámaras de televisión captado el momento en que Buck apuntó con su fusil de caza a la cabeza de Monteros. La única defensa viable es la locura, pero el padre se niega a decir que él estaba loco cuando apretó el gatil ...more
Freyja Vanadis
I went as far as I could on this silly, ridiculous little book before finally giving up in disgust.
Kathy
Fast paced believable trials. Enjoying this series.
Claudia Mosey
A child is raped and murdered the father kills the rapist/murderer right in front of cameras. When can a citizen kill.Is insanity ever a moral/legal justification? Set in Cape Cod,a former Mass.prosscutor,will try and defend the father and killer of his boy's murder. I liked this story,it has another story running with it,dealing with a battered woman. prosecutor Marty Nickerson and her partner Harry Madigan have their work cut out for them.A real good read.
Betty
A rare mystery that actually managed to come up with a twist that I didn't see coming. That could have been because I tend to be a bit more distracted with audiobooks and using my ears rather than my eyes, but I don't think so. I would have given it five stars except that the motivation of the actual culprit wasn't fleshed out enough to satisfy me. But I enjoyed the book and intend to back up and read the first in the series and then stick with Marty Nickerson.
Patricia
I really enjoyed this book. I found the title on a list on the Monroe Co. Public Library's website and thought the summary was good. Nice mystery but not overwhelming. Interesting, and some funny, characters. I liked the protagonist a lot. I can easily see me reading more of her books. This is the 2nd for this character so I think I'll be looking for the first one!
Julie
Disappointing. The courtroom scenes were by turns tedious or farcical. The only reason I persevered to the end was because it is part of a series. I loved the first book & will continue with the series with the hope that the next volume will be better.
Teri Pre
Ms. Connors has gotten much better at ending her books. I was very disappointed at the ending of the first in this series, but this one was a LOT better. I can't say that I agree with the verdict, but I DO understand it!
Sheila
I really liked this book. It is hard to say much about it without spoilers though. It is a legal/mystery that kept me guessing all the way through. I will definitely read more by this author.
Debra
Bernadette Dunne does a wonderful job of narrating Rose Connor's legal thriller series set on Cape Cod. These quite satisfying books never got the attention they deserved.
Anya
Love Marty Nickerson. Love the courtroom drama. Loved the ending.

I will keep reading these books as long as Ms. Connors keeps on supplying them.

Well done.
J
I liked this book as well as the first Rose Connors book because of her clear, concise, legal storytelling. The story takes turns I did not expect.
Ruth
Judith
Marty Nickerson #2 finds her joining the defense team on two murders. This one was a bit predictable, but still a good read.
Sandi
Nicely done legal suspense with a brisk plot, an interesting Cape Cod setting, and characters who you can root for and against.
Dave
Good character driven plot. Interesting perspective on criminal justice. The title might be a good one for my own memoirs.
Lynn
A man kills a 7 year old. Filmed on video. Pleads temporary insanity. Good characters. Surprise ending. I liked it.
Blaine Morrow
Good courtroom intrigue with a worthy cause (or two), feisty attorney, and spiteful legal combatants.
Cathy
I enjoyed this book. It's just a murder mystery, but I liked the twists in it. An enjoyable fast read.
Betty Allan
I am totally engrossed in this book. I am enjoying the audio version from my local library on my nook
Barb
enjoyable crime novel, murder mystery, courtroom drama, main character is a single mother lawyer
Jane Mohr
Another excellent novel by Rose Connors! Full of suspense, kept my interest from beginning to end.
Rita Mitchell
One of the best legal thrillers I have read in a long time! Well written and interesting intrigue.
Debbie Mcdonald
My second book by Rose Connors. I liked this one better than the first!
Shonna Froebel
Good writing
Ex-Assistant DA now criminal defense lawyer.
Interesting twists.
Lori
decent, quick read. faintly feminist version of a Scott Turow . . .
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • The Promise of a Lie
  • Just Desserts: The Unauthorized Biography of Martha Stewart
  • So Happy Together
  • The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance
  • A Song for the Asking
  • Still Talking
  • The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6)
  • In the Night Season: A Novel
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Bloodprint
  • Blind Eye: The Terrifying Story Of A Doctor Who Got Away With Murder
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
  • The Red Scream
  • The Tarnished Eye: A Novel of Suspense
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • Ruin Creek
Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1) Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3) False Testimony (Marty Nickerson, #4) The Undomestic Goddess / False Testtimony (Select Editions Large Type) Reader's Digest Select Editions, Volume 282, 2005 #6: No Place Like Home / Twisted / False Testimony / This Dame for Hire