Start by marking “Understanding Movies” as Want to Read:
Understanding Movies

Understanding Movies

Updated in a new 12th edition, this book is organized around the elements of film and provides readers valuable insight into how movies communicate and convey meaning to their audiences.
This book engages readers in the fascinating language of film and helps further their appreciation and understanding of why and how movie watchers respond as they do to different films. Fr
Paperback, 12th, 546 pages
Published January 21st 2010 by Allyn & Bacon (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Movies

Mohamed El seginy
Sep 26, 2013 Mohamed El seginy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
غريب جداً بالنسبة ان الكتاب ده مش معروف ، مش عارف انا وقعت عليه ازّاي الحقيقة .. قريته PDF
الكتاب بيتكلّم بشكل غير مُستفيض عن علاقة السينما بالأدب ، وأساليب الاخراج في الوقت ده ، علي صِغَر حجمه كان كثيف جداً خُصوصاً في حديثه عن بيرجمان
الترجمة للأسف كانت سيّئة جداً ، بس أي مُتابع سينما بسيط هيفهم المقصود
كتاب حلو وقدّملي وجبة لذيذة
Jean-Marie Schlömer
Jul 05, 2016 Jean-Marie Schlömer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film
At times a bit basic, but overall exhaustive look at films and their elements. The many pictures make you wanna go and see more movies.
Joe Cole
Feb 17, 2017 Joe Cole rated it it was amazing
I have a general interest in film (which is why I took the class) and the terminology and movie back story have been interesting. The publisher has a decent amount of online study material and practice quizzes for each chapter that made the online Blackboard quizzes/tests fairly easy if you read the book.
Willow Redd
Sep 11, 2014 Willow Redd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film
This was the first textbook I ever had for a film class. Intro to Film, I believe. And, since it's been a while, I decided to go back and read it from start to finish (instead of piecemeal like you normally do with college textbooks). It was a nice overall view of the art of movie making.

The book is divided into sections, each one building on the last and focusing on one specific feature of movies. The sections are Photography, Mise en Scene, Movement, Editing, Sound, Acting, Drama, Story, Writi
Jon
Louis Giannetti gives a really accessible introduction to watching and (surprise) understanding movies. It's very easy to read - with lots of pictures for those of us who only want books with pictures. The straight-forward, clear text goes a long way; he knows he needs to keep things kinda simple, but is considerate enough not to water things down and insult our intelligence. It lays a good foundation to build upon with future, perhaps more specific and/or advanced books on film studies.
Valerie
Jan 06, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a college class called visual cultures. The book blew my mind open to what goes into designing movies! I have never watched a movie the same way again! It has increased my ability to appreciate master movie craftsmen. Use this as a solid foundation. It was also nice that it used classic and popular movies to provide examples of the material. Images speak a thousand words so the images from well-known movies support the teaching.
Elissa
Jan 30, 2013 Elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I really enjoyed this book. It had a lot of good information. I marked it down one star because I am disappointed with the key terms boxes in each chapter- they were confusing to me as a reader and weren't laid out well. I also would have appreciated key terms being bolded so I could quickly find them. This is common practice with textbooks. However, I enjoyed the book and my corresponding class!
Brandon T.
Sep 30, 2012 Brandon T. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Movie buffs
"Understanding Movies" is full of colorful pictures that illustrate the main elements of film, such as photography, editing, sound and narration.

The photographs dominate the pages at times. The in-text citations are not always near the pages (or chapters) that have the photographs they are referencing. It can be a little frustrating to flip back and forth to match them.

Otherwise the book is insightful and easy to read.
Heidi Angell
I guess that I really should have learned more from this book, because I disagreed with a lot of the points that the author makes. Maybe that says more about me than the book itself! We had to buy this book for a film class I took, but the teacher never really used it. Maybe that says more about the book than my review!
Kate
Jul 21, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good textbook with a lot of good information in it. The text explains everything very well, and goes into detail where it needs to. I liked that it defined most of the terms in the text so you didn't have to go and do a lot of outside research to figure out what the authors were saying, and the examples are excellent as well.
Scott
Oct 03, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, paperbook, nonfiction
What an awesome way to increase knowledge and enjoyment of movies. This textbook discusses the ideas and rationale behind the art, settings, characters, stories, dramatizations, and more of movies. I consider this book capable of improving both perception of and thought about movies as they are being watched, while increasing the long term relevance of the movies themes and memorable moments.
Robert Ramos
This is an excellent introduction to the technical and artistic aspects of the medium of motion pictures. It's richly illustrated with examples from movies from all eras of motion picture history. A great introduction and reference text for anyone interested in understanding why movies turn out the way they do and what kinds of thought and effort go into making one.
Daniel
...designed to help students analyze movies with precision and technical sophistication. Its focus is on formalism--how the forms of the film (e.g., camera work, editing, photography, etc.) create meaning in a film. The Seventh Edition updates each...
Patti
May 11, 2010 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most widely used text for film classes in America. I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Giannetti in person when he came to speak to our film class. This book is easy to understand while being extremely informative and offering many examples of each concept.
Evan
I had a much earlier edition of this, in college in the early '80s. It was a good guide to the basic techniques and strategies of filmmaking and conveyance of message. Technical, but not written in jargon.
Deb
Mar 02, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This text was very interesting and enjoyable. In fact, I am keeping this textbook because it is fun to read. Even if you are not taking a class and are interested in film I recommend taking a look at this text.
Alborz Taheri
درس گفتارهایی از سینما - از تصویر تا تئوری های سینمایی - کتاب خوبی است از این نظر که دیدِ مختصر اما مفیدی نسبت به مقوله فرم در سینما می دهد .
Winey Mommy
Sep 15, 2010 Winey Mommy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film
Great starter to those wanting to learn the aesthetics of film making. Must keep for referencing.
Abdullah Meqdad
Feb 19, 2015 Abdullah Meqdad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood joooooooooooooooooooooooooob
Bruno
Sep 09, 2013 Bruno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For neophytes, like me, this book is an invaluable source of knowledge. Whether you are a film student or not this is a very good aid to better understand the art of film-making
Ian
Sep 16, 2014 Ian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ambitious in scope, insuuuuuuuufferable in tone.
Leonora
May 09, 2012 Leonora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film
Good primer on the fundamentals of...understanding movies. 3 stars because it is a text book and reads very much like one so it's not really a fun read even if it is informative.
Deanna
Aug 24, 2011 Deanna rated it it was ok
I had to read parts of this book for class. It was information and had lots of pictures so less boring stuff to read.
Paul
Feb 08, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good film studies textbook, useful to study if you want to appreciate and understand movies in greater depth, or are studying a course.
CD
A textbook. Actual version I have is from 1976.
Jessica Walters
Jessica Walters rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2013
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Amy M Weissenburger
Amy M Weissenburger rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
  • The Film Encyclopedia: The Most Comprehensive Encyclopedia of World Cinema in a Single Volume
  • Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings
  • What is Cinema?: Volume 2
  • Film Art: An Introduction
  • A History of Narrative Film
  • The Art of Watching Films
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • More than Night: Film Noir in its Contexts
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934
  • Film History: An Introduction
  • A Short History of the Movies
  • The Dark Side Of The Screen: Film Noir
  • The Technique of Film and Video Editing: History, Theory, and Practice
  • Cinema Studies: The Key Concepts (Key Concepts) (Routledge Key Guides)
  • How to Read a Film: The World of Movies, Media, Multimedia: Language, History, Theory
  • 5001 Nights at the Movies
  • Screen Plays: How 25 Scripts Made It to a Theater Near You—for Better or Worse
  • American Movie Critics: An Anthology From the Silents Until Now
Louis D. Giannetti is a Professor Emeritus of English and Film at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. He has taught courses in film, literature, writing, drama, and humanities. He has published many articles, both popular and scholarly, on political subjects, literature, and drama. In addition to being a professional film critic for several years, he has written about movies for such sch ...more
More about Louis D. Giannetti...