Start by marking “The Double Human” as Want to Read:
The Double Human

The Double Human (Tom Wilner #2)

The explosive sequel to The Human Disguise, The Double Human is an-action packed police thriller set in post-apocalyptic Florida.

Tom Wilner is a cop. At least what passes for a cop in this shattered world. Plague and nuclear war have left most of the United States uninhabitable. Many have fled to safer zones, forcing what’s left of the government to wall off cities in an a
Published June 8th 2010 by Tor Books (first published June 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Double Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Double Human

Aug 06, 2011 Marli rated it really liked it
Part two of this alternate Florida history sci-fi series was even better than the first installment. I can hardly wait for the next one. It does help to be familiar with the state and it's people, locations and issues to get the full impact of the text but the story is good even if this criteria is not met. Reminiscent of NBC's series The Event. More an alternate history novel than sci-fi, O'Neal seems to have an inside track on the future of Florida, the nation and the world. I can believe that ...more
Brian Taylor
Apr 23, 2015 Brian Taylor rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. If you liked the first book, you'll probably enjoy this one as well. While I was disappointed certain plot elements weren't explored in this book, it was still an enjoyable read. If there's ever a third release, I'll be there.
Sam Magical
Apr 02, 2015 Sam Magical rated it did not like it
Just awful.

I would like to share a snippet that succinctly sums up the literary integrity of this work. I can't because I don't have the book on me anymore. Yet I can rewrite it as best as I can remember. The fact that this is an easy task indicts the quality of the writing. Here goes:

They moved to an area downstairs to a murky basement level and came across a closed door. There was a sign on it with fainted lettering that read:

"Evidence" said Johann Halleck.

Johann Hallack is a chara
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Human Disguise and The Double Human by James O'Neal takes place in Florida, by the Miami quarantine zone, in a future dystopian United States.
In The Human Disguise, when police officer James Wilner follows his wife and her lover into a bar to observe them, he inadvertently sets off a series of events. His investigation involves him in a bigger conflict between two ancient families. In The Double Human Wilner is investigating a "vampire" serial killer.

The Human Disguise is author O'Neal's de
Feb 13, 2011 Paigu rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I, too, read this without realizing this was the second book in a series. Probably should have read the first book because this book could not stand on its own. There were too many side plots mentioned in this book which needed to be explained (hence the need to read the first book). Unfortunately, I found those unanswered questions too distracting to really like this book.

If you look at just the plot, it is rather mundane and boring. A stabby serial killer is loose inside the now quarantined ci
William Bentrim
Oct 11, 2013 William Bentrim rated it really liked it
The Double Human by James O’Neal

The Human Disguise was the first book in this series. This too is a cop book set in a near, possible future. Tom Wilner is a cop trying to maintain order in a dystopian future south Florida. He is ex-military facing bio-engineered diseases and possible aliens. His priorities change dramatically when his family is threatened. In this second book, he continues to try and enforce a radically changed legal landscape.

The Hallecks and Simolits play a smaller part in th
Dec 14, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Disappointing after "The Human Disguise"

I read and enjoyed the first book in this series - "The Human Disguise." I liked the world building and thought the combo police procedural/sci fi tale was well worth reading.

But author O'Neal puts a lot of effort into describing the Florida environment in this book - to the detriment of character development and plot.

Note - you'll get a lot more out of this book if you read "The Human Disguise." But that won't answer all your questions concerning this off
Nov 20, 2012 Foxtower rated it liked it
Fast paced, with almost too much "cliffhanger" action, but an enjoyable read. I didn't read the first of the series, though it was easy to figure out what I "missed". I'm not an fan of series and expect the first and next would be more of the same so while I liked this one it's enough of a taste of O'Neal for me.
Sep 20, 2010 Karina marked it as to-read
Shelves: unsorted
I picked this up, and didn't realize it's a second book about this character. So when I came across a passage where he thinks back to things that happened before, I stopped and did research :p So maybe I'll read this sometime. The premise seemed interesting, but I'm not too excited about it as I began reading.
Greg T Robertson
Feb 10, 2011 Greg T Robertson rated it it was ok
Too much time is spent trying to explain the new world the characters live in instead of just focusing on the story and I found it distracting. I might read another James O'Neal book but if it's like this one I doubt I'd finish it.
Jul 14, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Loved the sequel to the Human Disguise! The last page is keeping me hanging for the sequel. Wondering when it's scheduled to be released.
Bess rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Alan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Tobey rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2011
Benjamin Rupe
Benjamin Rupe rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Jay Bolling
Jay Bolling rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Jeff Pruett
Jeff Pruett rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
Breezy rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2012
Tangerinebunny rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2012
Suzanne rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
A~ rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Faith rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Emily Buxengaard
Emily Buxengaard rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2016
Timothy rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2014
Mike rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Ignatz Ratzkewatzke
Ignatz Ratzkewatzke rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2013
Jim Perry
Jim Perry rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2011
Pat rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012