Start by marking “The Double Human” as Want to Read:
The Double Human

The Double Human (Tom Wilner #2)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The explosive sequel to The Human Disguise, The Double Human is an-action packed police thriller set in post-apocalyptic Florida.

Tom Wilner is a cop. At least what passes for a cop in this shattered world. Plague and nuclear war have left most of the United States uninhabitable. Many have fled to safer zones, forcing what’s left of the government to wall off cities in an a
Published June 8th 2010 by Tor Books (first published June 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Double Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Double Human

Marli
Part two of this alternate Florida history sci-fi series was even better than the first installment. I can hardly wait for the next one. It does help to be familiar with the state and it's people, locations and issues to get the full impact of the text but the story is good even if this criteria is not met. Reminiscent of NBC's series The Event. More an alternate history novel than sci-fi, O'Neal seems to have an inside track on the future of Florida, the nation and the world. I can believe that ...more
Paigu
Feb 13, 2011 Paigu rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I, too, read this without realizing this was the second book in a series. Probably should have read the first book because this book could not stand on its own. There were too many side plots mentioned in this book which needed to be explained (hence the need to read the first book). Unfortunately, I found those unanswered questions too distracting to really like this book.

If you look at just the plot, it is rather mundane and boring. A stabby serial killer is loose inside the now quarantined ci
William Bentrim
The Double Human by James O’Neal

The Human Disguise was the first book in this series. This too is a cop book set in a near, possible future. Tom Wilner is a cop trying to maintain order in a dystopian future south Florida. He is ex-military facing bio-engineered diseases and possible aliens. His priorities change dramatically when his family is threatened. In this second book, he continues to try and enforce a radically changed legal landscape.

The Hallecks and Simolits play a smaller part in th
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Human Disguise and The Double Human by James O'Neal takes place in Florida, by the Miami quarantine zone, in a future dystopian United States.
In The Human Disguise, when police officer James Wilner follows his wife and her lover into a bar to observe them, he inadvertently sets off a series of events. His investigation involves him in a bigger conflict between two ancient families. In The Double Human Wilner is investigating a "vampire" serial killer.

The Human Disguise is author O'Neal's de
Cheryl
Disappointing after "The Human Disguise"

I read and enjoyed the first book in this series - "The Human Disguise." I liked the world building and thought the combo police procedural/sci fi tale was well worth reading.

But author O'Neal puts a lot of effort into describing the Florida environment in this book - to the detriment of character development and plot.

Note - you'll get a lot more out of this book if you read "The Human Disguise." But that won't answer all your questions concerning this off
Foxtower
Fast paced, with almost too much "cliffhanger" action, but an enjoyable read. I didn't read the first of the series, though it was easy to figure out what I "missed". I'm not an fan of series and expect the first and next would be more of the same so while I liked this one it's enough of a taste of O'Neal for me.
Karina
Sep 20, 2010 Karina marked it as to-read
Shelves: unsorted
I picked this up, and didn't realize it's a second book about this character. So when I came across a passage where he thinks back to things that happened before, I stopped and did research :p So maybe I'll read this sometime. The premise seemed interesting, but I'm not too excited about it as I began reading.
Greg T Robertson
Too much time is spent trying to explain the new world the characters live in instead of just focusing on the story and I found it distracting. I might read another James O'Neal book but if it's like this one I doubt I'd finish it.
Angela
Loved the sequel to the Human Disguise! The last page is keeping me hanging for the sequel. Wondering when it's scheduled to be released.
Dale
Very clever vision of the not-so-distant future. Sort of a Highlander meets Mad Max kind of thing.
Katie Bananas
Katie Bananas marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Margie
Margie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Midu Hadi
Midu Hadi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Ysabeaux
Ysabeaux marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Tom Wilner (2 books)
  • The Human Disguise
The Human Disguise The Voice of the Blues: Classic Interviews from Living Blues Magazine