Start by marking “Stories for Children” as Want to Read:

- The Devoted Friend
- The Happy Prince
- The Remarkable Rocket
- The Young King
Six classic tales for children by Oscar Wilde, illustrated by P.J. Lynch—winner of the Kate Greenaway Award, the Mother Goose Award, and three-time winner of the Christopher Award—and illustrator of The Steadfast Tin Soldier. P.J. Lynch's a
Published March 1st 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Stories for Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories for Children

Graeme Syed
Jan 13, 2014 Graeme Syed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I remember having stories from this book read to me at school and enjoying them thoroughly. Thirty years has changed nothing in terms of my enjoyment both personal and vicarious through my own children. I have now reread all the stories and have introduced some to the classroom. Oscar Wilde has an interesting way of writing. It makes it a bit difficult to read out loud sometimes as the brain is programmed differently to the way Wilde writes. It should be remembered that whilst this n ...more
Jeremy
I think it's interesting that when Oscar Wilde wrote for adults, he wrote in a very dry, irreverent manner. But when he wrote for children, he wrote melancholy, reverent works of beauty. I suspect it has something to do with his old witticism:

'If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.'

This is how you have to approach social commentary with adults. But I think with kids you don't have to add that extra buffer zone of wit, because kids can handle the truth.
Katie Padfoot
Jan 02, 2017 Katie Padfoot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an absolutely stunning book with three wonderful stories. this is definitely a book i can see myself coming back to time and time again
Jay Moran
Oscar Wilde's children stories showed me the impact literature could have on people. This book was read to me on numerous occasions by my parents when I was growing up, and I can remember my dad openly crying in front of my sister and I whenever he finished The Selfish Giant or The Happy Prince. To see the impact these stories had on an adult really intrigued and perplexed me as a child, and I think it's the beginning of my love of literature.

Each story is told in Wilde's breath taking, melodio
Hlyan Htet Oo
Jan 15, 2017 Hlyan Htet Oo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilde (1997) is one of my all-time favorite films in which Stephen Fry palyed Oscar Wilde. Having watched the movie several times, Fry became Oscar in my mind. So, listening to this audiobook made me feel like Oscar Wilde himself was reading his stories to me. I love that! And I also enjoyed the stories. They are lovely and wonderful. Each of these stories has Oscar's wit, genius and philosophy. They are not just for children but for all ages.
Tianna Mignogna
Jan 18, 2017 Tianna Mignogna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What a man. It was definitely a trip reading these as an adult and I'm not 100% sure I get all the messages but anything Oscar Wilde writes is worth at least one read.
Courtney
Jul 15, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit to skimming this one, because I own O.F.O.W.W.'s complete shorter fiction and have read these stories many times. I WANTED TO SEE ARTWORK BY BRILLIANT IRISH ILLUSTRATOR P.J. LYNCH.
---

First story was "The Selfish Giant," my favorite Wilde story and one of my favorite fairy tales in the universe. Two full-page illustrations, one border panel, and one tiny final image. I would have loved to have the last image be a full-page, because it's the most emotional moment of the story. (view spoil
Karen Margrethe
Dec 30, 2016 Karen Margrethe rated it really liked it
With that certain Wilde-wit, Wilde does something magical with his stories. His words carry such brilliance, wisdom and entertainment all at the same time. He competently tackles themes both of ethics, love, beauty and faith.
This book was a special treat since one of my favourite illustrators, Lynch, did the beautiful illustrations for the modern fairy tales told by Wilde.
Joy Weese Moll
Feb 27, 2012 Joy Weese Moll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult readers looking for an easy introduction to Oscar Wilde
This book contains six of Oscar Wilde’s stories for children, drawn from two separate collections he published when his two sons were small (a fact I learned from Collins Complete Works of Oscar Wilde: Centenary Edition — nothing so boring as biographical data is present in this volume). This is a large format book with pictures of various sizes. Most two page spreads have at least one picture, but there are a few that are only words. The full page illustrations are lovely, but I was entranced b ...more
Diego Anthoons
Aug 26, 2014 Diego Anthoons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Na "The Picture of Dorian Gray" wou ik wel wat meer van Oscar Wilde lezen en ik koos voor dit boek met enkele van zijn kinderverhalen. In deze verhalen toont Wilde opnieuw zijn prachtige stijl, maar wat me vooral opviel is dat de meeste verhalen geen al te vrolijk einde hebben, soms vrij moeilijk zijn voor kinderen en dat er in elk verhaal wel een religieus element aanwezig is. Wilde verweeft in deze verhalen ook verschillende onderwerpen die aan bod komen in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" zoals k ...more
Nux
Sep 01, 2008 Nux rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: indres, mas nanang, sherry, rina
"Stories with morals in them... though not the usual ones you'd try to convey to children. Well, perhaps the last one is conforming a bit more to the general moral message contained in such stories. I like them, though despite the last story I still think that it might not be for the very young as some of the concepts might be a bit difficult for them to chew. But it's a nice collection of smart stories with (less idealistic and more realistic) moral to the stories. ^_^"
Emily G
I remember some of these stories by Oscar Wilde from childhood, but some were new to me. One thing I didn't realise was that Oscar was obviously a religious man by the imagery used in a few of the tales.

All the stories are deeply bittersweet or tragic, and reinforce my distaste for human nature. That said they all have a message if looked for, and I think should all be read by everyone at least once in their life.
Joel Julian
Worth reading for “The Nightingale and The Rose", “The Devoted Friend", “The Young King" and “The Happy Prince". These stories are written in a way simple enough for children to enjoy, but with enough depth to leave the more mature reader deep in thought. Although I would have preferred the religious symbolism to be a little more subtle, the fables are well written with both charm and wit, challenging you on numerous aspects of life.
Chelsy
Oh my gosh! My quest for the long lost book is over! I was 8 when my mom first read this to us from the library; I'm 21 now, and ever since then I've been trying to find it. The only thing I could remember about it was a nightingale, a crying tree, and a rose in the street. Everyone I asked, like me, had no idea which book I was talking about.
At long last! It's recommended to me by Goodreads for becoming a fan P. J. Lynch. I will never forget this wonderful moment (^0^)
pri
May 24, 2009 pri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
it doesn't really get much better than stephen fry reading Wilde's 'children's stories'. they're all here. the happy prince, the nightingale and the rose, the selfish giant... and fry reads them perfectly. having heard him read the selfish giant in Wilde, I thought it was fantastic that there was also an entire collection. the audio didn't disappoint.
penelopewanders
Here as a ring. Highly moralistic indeed. Some classics, but the most fun was to find quotes from these stories as chapter headings in The Indiscretion by Judith Ivory which I was reading at the same time. I do prefer the vein of Wilde who wrote The Importance of Being Ernest, and even The Picture of Dorian Grey. Glad to have read these, though.
Kiddo
Apr 11, 2011 Kiddo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-later
This is not what I was expecting. For one thing I really don't know what age this is appropriate for. One review says ages 5 and up.

There is some moralizing, the Christ child even appears. There is some death, by suicide and over exertion for an unappreciative friend. There is also wry humor, but when do kids start to get that?
Martyn
I thought I would love these stories, Oscar Wilde is up there with Shakespeare as my favorite playwright, but in the end all the death and covert christianity was just too much. My daughter said she loved it and to be fair gave me some great summaries that showed how much she took in but I'm not so sure that these stories would hold many children these days.
Melissa
Jun 02, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories are so beautifully written. The words flow almost like a poem. I was surprised at their deep meaning and religious aspects. My kids really enjoyed them, as did I. The paintings in the book were breath taking.
Jenn
May 11, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2009
I think it would take a pretty sophisticated kid to suss out all of Wilde's satire in these short fables, but they're kind of wonderful in their way—funny and sad, strange and a little magical, both in plot and in language. And Stephen Fry is a delight, of course—the best reason to listen.
Kristen
I very much enjoyed Wilde's writing style. The way he makes fun of the fairy tale as a genre was entertaining. However, I didn't care much for the religious overtone, and had some trouble making out if he was being serious or not.
Kim
I very much enjoyed P.J. Lynch's illustrations, but the stories are a little heavy-handed for my taste.
Sally
Jul 20, 2009 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than a picture book - but the illustrations are beautiful! Purchased this book at the Trinity College bookstore after Michael Wilcox read two stories to us on our bus ride into Dublin.
Betsy
May 25, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Another version of Wilde's stories--I think Lynch captures the tone of Wilde's stories quite well in the illustrations.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
Witty and fun as one would expect from Wilde, but with the exception of two of the stories, possibly a bit more cynical than I would choose for bedtime reading for a six year old.
Ieva Žalytė
Ieva Žalytė rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Dadge
Dadge rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Leopold Bienkowski-gibbs
Leopold Bienkowski-gibbs rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2013
Gabriela
Dec 02, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oscar-wilde
So marvellous tales and so a marvellous voice.
Amanda Levick
Amanda Levick rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Letters to a Diminished Church: Passionate Arguments for the Relevance of Christian Doctrine
  • Creature Carnival
  • Anna Banana: 101 Jump Rope Rhymes
  • Zippity Zoom
  • The Heart of a Dog
  • La lluvia sabe por qué
  • The Groovy Greeks And The Rotten Romans (Two Horrible Books In One)
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story
  • Jabberwocky
  • Pirateria: The Wonderful Plunderful Pirate Emporium
  • A Rule Is to Break: A Child's Guide to Anarchy
  • Kamo: L'agence Babel
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...