The Last Song of Orpheus

The Last Song of Orpheus

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  11 reviews
(from Subterranean Press Website) In the course of his extraordinary-and prolific-career, Robert Silverberg has made an enormous contribution to imaginative literature. In The Last Song of Orpheus, his longest story in more than a decade, Silverberg has given us one of his most remarkable accomplishments, a resonant recreation of one of the central myths of western civiliz...more
Published October 31st 2010 by Subterranean Press (first published September 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Song of Orpheus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Song of Orpheus

Stephen
-Orpheus-in-the-Underworld--1v2

Dream-like, disorientating and delicious describes perfectly my thoughts about this lyrical novella by one of the true masters of speculative fiction. In The Last Song of Orpheus, Silverberg faithfully, yet engagingly, retells the life story or Orpheus through the demi-god’s own first-person narrative.

While some might argue that there is nothing really new here, I would counter (with much huffing and puffing) that I believe Silverberg adds two new pieces to the body of the well known “Orpheus...more
Nikki
The Last Song of Orpheus is an interesting novella, drawing together the various legends and scraps of lore about Orpheus, and weaving them into a coherent whole, ironing out the contradictions and unifying everything with a few little additions of Silverberg's own. Parts of it are very beautiful, prose-wise, and the overall idea enchanted me.

There's something about the narration that's just a bit too distant, somehow. In one way it suits the story very well, matching the mythic register; in ano...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Finally. After all of the conflicting information we get from the numerous myths, legends, writings, and operas about Orpheus, we have the true story told by Orpheus himself as he writes his life story for Musaeus (with some help from Robert Silverberg).

In The Last Song of Orpheus, all the bits and pieces of Orpheus's life are tied together into a single chronological narrative and Orpheus tells his own version of how he obtained his famous lyre and used i...more
Stacey
The Last Song of Orpheus was kind of a Cliff's Notes version of a whole lot of mythology surrounding the demigod musician Orpheus. Not that it was dry (like Cliff's Notes,) just that it was... succinct - kind of a "here's what really happened."

I particularly liked the interpretation of the Golden Fleece saga. My current addiction is mythology, legend and fairy tale, and Last Song scratched the itch.
Steve Statham
Just beautifully written by one of the masters. Silverberg has penned many a far-flung space opera, but his true passions seem to be mythology and ancient history. In The Last Song of Orpheus, his fondness for the old world is on full display. The demi-god Orpheus must navigate his way through the lost civilizations of mankind, torn between the human condition and the desires of the gods.

Silverberg has cut back on his writing in recent years, so this newest novella will be a welcome read for hi...more
Matti Tornio
Great retelling of the Orpheus myth, even if the second half of the book isn't nearly as strong as the early parts
Gene
A relatively engrossing overview of the myths of Orpheus, as told by Orpheus himself. I certainly prefer the wonderful inventiveness of Silverberg's fantastic science fiction worlds, but he's a lovely writer of prose even when detailing an existing and familiar mythology.
Joyce Donahue
Interesting because it re-tells many of the famous myths through the eyes of Orpheus - a different point of view on Jason and the Golden Fleece, for example. Brings the character of Orpheus to life.
Cheryl
Loved hearing the familiar stories that I teach every year from an "insider's" perspective. It really goes a new life to the ancient tales.

My only wish is a list of sources.
Frank Taranto
An excellent retelling of the Orpheus myth. Silverberg always delivers a well written tale.
Holly
Apr 26, 2011 Holly marked it as to-read
Got this book in my Subterranean Press Grab Bag (Box?). Excited to see how it pans out!
Cameron Gerber
Cameron Gerber marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Shawn Camp
Shawn Camp marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Sarah Zion
Sarah Zion marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Marcel Monpatron
Marcel Monpatron marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Megh
Megh added it
Aug 27, 2013
Toby
Toby marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc...more
More about Robert Silverberg...
Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1) Legends The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 Dying Inside Legends II