Start by marking “Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery” as Want to Read:
Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery

Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery

Far More Terrible for Women contains first-hand accounts of what life was like for women in slavery. These accounts are drawn from interviews conducted in the 1930s and stored in the Library of Congress.
Published October 1st 2006 by John F. Blair, Publisher

To ask other readers questions about Far More Terrible for Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far More Terrible for Women

Tomekia Farmer
Mar 16, 2014 Tomekia Farmer rated it it was ok
I thought this book would be an interesting read since I was curious about what black women endured during slavery. I was not at all prepared for the vernacular, as it was told from the former slaves point of view, and in their own words. This made the book hard to follow for me, and made it difficult for me to get into, which is why it took me so long to finish it. Some of the stories were interesting, but having to decipher some of them gave me a headache. I appreciate what they were going for ...more
Anne
Nov 01, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
First person recounts of slave experiences of females from various Southern states in the USA. These narratives were collected in the 1930s as part of the Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and assembled and microfilmed in 1941. Female accounts are very rare, therefore, particularly insightful. Sometimes hard to read due to cruelty they experienced.
Rosemary
Oct 17, 2007 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in American history and human rights
I chose this book as a research resource for my own writing, which usually deals with 19th century history in the American South and with misogyny and racism. In giving readers a glimpse of the heartbreaking and horrifying misery suffered by women in slavery, editor Patrick Minges shines a floodlight on the arrogance, greed, cruelty, and hypocrisy of those who bought, sold, and abused other human beings.

Throughout history men have often cast women in one of two roles--the virtuous lady or the ha
Shawn Vande Kieft
Not what I expected

I have always been intrigued by slavery times. The horror of what colored people faced at the hands of whites is astounding. I thought this book would lead more into what it was like as a woman in slavery, but it was mostly recollections of what most people already know of slavery.
Skburge
Jun 27, 2015 Skburge rated it liked it
I picked this up at the Historical Society Center in Charleston (They have a nice bookstore). The title drew me in. This book is a collection of former slaves' stories of slavery. These interviews were collected in the 1930s as a WPA project. Remarkable collection of historical documents.
Rosalind Norrell-nance
Slavery's Effect on African American women

The book gave excellent incite into what slavery was like for blacks and whites. It also showed how slave e generation advantage of the lack of education and misguided religious practices and beliefs had on the lives of slaves
Peacegal
Jun 30, 2015 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Imagine what it would be like to live in bondage as a slave. This remarkable book collects interviews with women who survived this ugly period in American history. There are so many questions left unanswered, but what was collected at least gives us a glimpse.
pegi johnson
Apr 01, 2015 pegi johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book.

A very good read for women. It's important for us to know our history away from men. Very interesting book.
Jessica Jewett
Oct 07, 2016 Jessica Jewett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing, horrifying, illuminating, and even inspirational. Everybody needs to read it in order to understand not just minority women in America but the true history of America itself.
Steve Webster
May 30, 2016 Steve Webster rated it really liked it
This provides interview notes from the 1930s of former slave women. It was enlightening and provides a closer look at how slavery personally felt and shaped those who were in it.
Anna Stiglbauer
May 20, 2016 Anna Stiglbauer rated it it was amazing
Morbidly fascinating.
Curtis Jordan
Curtis Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
PRECIOUS
PRECIOUS rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2017
Patricia Kershman
Patricia Kershman rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Steph
Steph rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2011
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Eric Miller
Eric Miller rated it did not like it
Apr 10, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Jaren
Jaren rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Elizabeth Ho
Elizabeth Ho rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Virginia Acevedo
Virginia Acevedo rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Mindy Windholz
Mindy Windholz rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Tamisha Smith
Tamisha Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Melissa Thompson
Melissa Thompson rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
cool mom
cool mom rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
patricia adams
patricia adams rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • The Rise and Fall of Black Wall Street
  • Hen Frigates
  • My Folks Don't Want Me to Talk about Slavery: Twenty-One Oral Histories of Former North Carolina Slaves
  • Kamikaze Diaries: Reflections of Japanese Student Soldiers
  • Before Roe v. Wade: Voices that Shaped the Abortion Debate Before the Supreme Court's Ruling
  • Speak to My Heart (Spirit and Soul #1)
  • The Fun of It
  • African Origins of the Major "Western Religions"
  • Remembering Slavery: African Americans Talk About Their Personal Experiences of Slavery and Freedom
  • Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom: The Escape of William and Ellen Craft from Slavery
  • Men and Feminism: Seal Studies
  • Mixed: My Life in Black and White
  • Half and Half: Writers on Growing Up Biracial and Bicultural
  • Labor of Love, Labor of Sorrow: Black Women, Work, and the Family from Slavery to the Present
  • Black Woman Redefined: Dispelling Myths and Discovering Fulfillment in the Age of Michelle Obama
  • The  Slave Ship: A Human History