Start by marking “Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery” as Want to Read:
Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery

Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Far More Terrible for Women contains first-hand accounts of what life was like for women in slavery. These accounts are drawn from interviews conducted in the 1930s and stored in the Library of Congress.
Published October 1st 2006 by John F. Blair Publisher

To ask other readers questions about Far More Terrible for Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far More Terrible for Women

Skburge
I picked this up at the Historical Society Center in Charleston (They have a nice bookstore). The title drew me in. This book is a collection of former slaves' stories of slavery. These interviews were collected in the 1930s as a WPA project. Remarkable collection of historical documents.
Rosemary
Jan 13, 2008 Rosemary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in American history and human rights
I chose this book as a research resource for my own writing, which usually deals with 19th century history in the American South and with misogyny and racism. In giving readers a glimpse of the heartbreaking and horrifying misery suffered by women in slavery, editor Patrick Minges shines a floodlight on the arrogance, greed, cruelty, and hypocrisy of those who bought, sold, and abused other human beings.

Throughout history men have often cast women in one of two roles--the virtuous lady or the ha
Peacegal
Imagine what it would be like to live in bondage as a slave. This remarkable book collects interviews with women who survived this ugly period in American history. There are so many questions left unanswered, but what was collected at least gives us a glimpse.
Tomekia Farmer
I thought this book would be an interesting read since I was curious about what black women endured during slavery. I was not at all prepared for the vernacular, as it was told from the former slaves point of view, and in their own words. This made the book hard to follow for me, and made it difficult for me to get into, which is why it took me so long to finish it. Some of the stories were interesting, but having to decipher some of them gave me a headache. I appreciate what they were going for ...more
pegi johnson
I love this book.

A very good read for women. It's important for us to know our history away from men. Very interesting book.
Tylar
Tylar marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Veleda
Veleda marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Heather M
Heather M marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Melissa Tobiasz
Melissa Tobiasz marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Kay Wilson-Kirby
Kay Wilson-Kirby marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Consuelo
Consuelo marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Barbikat60
Barbikat60 marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Jasmine Hall
Jasmine Hall marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Damali
Damali marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Black Indian Slave Narratives Slavery in the Cherokee Nation: The Keetoowah Society and the Defining of a People, 1855-1867 Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery (Real Voices, Real History) Far More Terrible For Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery