Start by marking “My Monster Mama Loves Me So” as Want to Read:
My Monster Mama Loves Me So

My Monster Mama Loves Me So

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  73 reviews
She tucks me tightly into bed,
then asks me id my spider's fed
and hangs my favorite bat above me.
That's how I know my mama loves me!
At once tender and funny, this monster bedtime story is guaranteed to generate giggles, tickles, and plenty of monster hugs.
Published August 20th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published September 29th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about My Monster Mama Loves Me So, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Monster Mama Loves Me So

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
34th out of 230 books — 292 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
287th out of 1,001 books — 1,258 voters

More lists with this book...

Sasha
Title: My Monster Mama Loves Me So
Author: Laura Leuck
Illustrator: Mark Buehner
Date of Publication: 1999

Genre: Fiction, Picture book
Summary: A sweet story about the many ways monster momma shows her love for her monster son from tweaking his nose and tickling his pointy toes to making sure his spider's fed.

Evaluative Commentary: Great book for kindergarden age students! Can be part of a Halloween reading unit or a fun twist on Mother's day theme.There is a repeated refrain “My monster mama loves...more
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
A monsterly good book. Love the silly, rhyming text and the detailed, colorful illustrations showing the monster world. Some monster book illustrations just focus on the monster and maybe a few other nearby objects; this book does it throughout and beautifully. The creaky floor-boards and cobwebs in the house, to a green murky swamp with billowing trees and an amphibious lifeguard, to a park bench at night with an owl perched on a tree with bats flying around.

It was no surprise that half the KG...more
Comfort Olajide
I read this book it is about a boy and his monster mama who is fond of her child from the minutes he wakes up, she will comb cobwebs from his bangs (fringe of hair) fallen over the forehead and make sure she brushed his fangs, until the time he goes to bed and fed the son's spider. In between she bakes him cookies filled with bugs, takes him to the swamp to swim and shows him how to disappear, takes him to the park to star gaze after dark, then sings him lulabbies to help him sleep. On a rainy a...more
Tracy
Every monster mamma needs to read this sweet little story to her monster child. Sweet little story that parents often bring to school and read to our PreK and K classes as we celebrate Silly Monster Day.
Katie Newton
This book was really fun. I was only a few pages in when I already had a whole story time planned. My kids thought it was relatable and a little silly.
This is perfect for my story time purposes. Not too long, rhyming words, and a sweet monster story, not scary. Reading it tomorrow at 10:30!
Beth
I love to read aloud books that rhyme, and this one is both sweet and silly. This would be an excellent choice for Halloween time — or anytime.
Phyllis
A favorite picture book illustrated by Utahn Mark Buehner
Alison Slack
Language Feature: Rhyming
J-Lynn
This is a fun book to read around Mother's Day. It centers around a genderless monster child who lists all of the ways his monster mother shows that she loves him/her. Funny things like swimming in the swamp, hiding from the humans, playing beastball, etc. The best part of the book are the spooky illustrations, Buehner adds all sorts of small details like flying saucers, and a hunt to find the dinosaur and rabbit hidden on each page. Observant young readers will love identifying all of the detai...more
Monster
A sweet little picture book where a little monster describes all of the things that that his mother does that tells him she loves him, including taking him to the swamp to swim and combs the cobwebs from his bangs. The book is aimed at ages five to eight and is beautifully illustrated with images of the three eyed monster mama taking care of and supporting her child. This turns out to be a fun book for mothers to share with children or for children's librarians to share at story hour. Recommende...more
Becca
With rhyming text and hidden pictures in the illustrations, this book is perfect for storytime with young students. I actually did this with K-6 before Halloween, but it would also work well for Mother's Day. I had the students verbally describe where they found the hidden bunny or cat, etc. For some it was quite a challenge--they could see it but not describe the spot to others. We talked about the specificity in descriptions needed so that others can understand and find what we mean.
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Peanut
MOMMY: This book is adorable in every way possible. It's a book perfect for growing with a child because they will understand more and notice more in the illustrations as they get older. I love looking at the illustrations because every time we read the book I notice something new.

PEANUT: He's just to the point that he is understanding how funny the words are and he loves looking at the pictures and pointing to things he sees.
Keegan
I thought this was a fun twist on how parents show their love. The pictures are large and colorful and creepy with three-eyed monsters, snakes, bats, and other such delectable critters. I also enjoyed that human children were the scary creatures for monsters. This is up there with Rick Walton's A Very Hairy Scary Story. Both could be good for Halloween . . . but would also be appropriate at other times of the year.
kaitlyn
This was a fun book with lots of great illustrations. The kindergartners and first graders both loved the story. I tried something new with them while I read this story and frequently asked them questions about what we read or saw in the illustrations, or what they thought would happen next. It was satisfying to see how well they payed attention and how creative they could be with their predictions.
Kelley
We read this book so often that we had to buy another copy. It was a favorite of Grant's when he was about 2 or 3 and we read it and re-read it. The story is presented in rhyme and I still have it memorized even though I haven't read it in a few years. "My monster mama loves me so. Let me tell you how I know. When I wake up she tweaks my nose and tickles all my pointy nose." Well... you get the idea.
Heidi
Used this as a Thu. supplemental in my "For Mom" preschool storytime--suggestions from Sarah N. It was a perfect first book to use. It was funny and the pictures go along with it well. I unfortunately had a quiet, non-interactive group. So I'm not sure if they didn't get it or if they just didn't laugh out loud. It was still a better choice than the long ones I had picked on Tue.
Lesli
I will admit I like this book more than my four year old. Or at least more than he lets on, it a funny play on words through the whole book, about all the things a monster mama does for her child. Similar but different than what a human mom would do. I find it so cute, and my kids allow me to read it night after night, and giggle at some of the things monster mama does.
Avery Stevens
This is my FAVORITE kids book in the entire world! My Mommy used to read this to me when I was younger and even when I was in her stomach she read it to me and I enjoyed it! I know that this book brings back a LOT of memories and I will treasure this book forever and ever! It will be passed down through generations. Its such a cute, loving book.
Slayermel
This is a great book, the story is cute and clever because it all rhymes. :o)
I especially like it for younger children because it's a quick read with the rhyming and it introduces some new vocabulary we can discuss such as fangs, bangs, tweaks, blaze just to name a few.
Big Bright eye catching pictures illustrated by Mark Buehner.
Rebecca
This book is so charming! How does she love me? Let me count the ways. Baby monster points out in rhyming verse all the ways his mother shows her love. It's a very gentle tale to read anytime but also great for Halloween for the very little ones. Written back in 2000 and discovered by me in 2013, it is now a new favorite.
Crystal Marcos
I disagree with the book being too scary. I think it is great to start early teaching your child that there is no such thing as monsters and there is no need to be afraid of them. What better way than to show it through a story of a monster mama loving her monster little one?
Joseph Saborio
Dolly
Dec 03, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens, monsters
This was okay. Interesting illustrations and comparisons between a monster's life and our own, but it didn't really catch our girls' interest. I picked it out because it was about Mamas loving their babies, and in that respect it was okay, but not our favorite.
Madonna
I enjoyed the fun illustrations in this book and the love promoted in this book. I feel that this book would make a great lesson for students to work on multiplication. Students can also be inspired to create their own drawing of a monster at the end!
Jennybug
I have tis book and I store it with my Halloween books. I love to pull out new children books for the holidays. This is such a sweet book. The rhyming is wonderful and the art work is amazing. This book is great for anytime of the year.
Yellowpagesgirl
This did not really click with us, maybe because at our house we are dealing with an only child who has pretty constant dotage by mom and dad. Some things were cute, like the animal buddies, but otherwise I heard *crickets* when I was reading.
Tamie
Another great rhyming book with photographs you can look at for a long time. We love all his creepy pets and nasty treats. At the end when it says "oops! One other thing is true--your monster mamma loves you too" then I always get hugs and kisses.
Christie
Absolutely adorable. Wonderful, original rhyming story with fantastic illustrations. Super funny and guaranteed to get a few laughs with your little one before bedtime. I read this with my 3.5yo and my 18mo, and they both love it.
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • I Need My Monster
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • To Market, To Market
  • He Came with the Couch
For Just One Day I Love My Pirate Papa Santa Claws One Witch Teeny, Tiny Mouse: A Book About Colors