Start by marking “My Monster Mama Loves Me So” as Want to Read:
My Monster Mama Loves Me So

My Monster Mama Loves Me So

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  845 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
She tucks me tightly into bed,
then asks me if my spider's fed
and hangs my favorite bat above me.
That's how I know my mama loves me!
At once tender and funny, this monster bedtime story is guaranteed to generate giggles, tickles, and plenty of monster hugs.
Published August 20th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published September 29th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about My Monster Mama Loves Me So, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Monster Mama Loves Me So

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
30th out of 343 books — 353 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
306th out of 1,129 books — 1,417 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
Oct 17, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Really cute and funny story with great rhymes! This one earned 5 stars from me because Caleb actually laughed and grabbed at one of the pictures... he's just shy of 9 months and this was the first time he really reacted to a book. I loved all of the gross and hilarious reasons why the monster mama loves her monster.
Marilyn
Oct 31, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
"My monster mama loves me so!
Let me tell you how I know;
When I wake up, she tweaks my nose,
tickles all my pointy toes,
combs the cobwebs from my bangs,
and make sure that I brush my fangs...

This adorable rhyming book is the perfect nighttime read. Mama Monster dotes on her little one and pours her love out on her.

"She gives me great big hairy hugs,/bakes me cookies filled with bugs,.../she sings a monster lullaby/of things that shriek and moan and creep...soothing things to help me sleep."

She t
Sasha
Mar 24, 2014 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Title: My Monster Mama Loves Me So
Author: Laura Leuck
Illustrator: Mark Buehner
Date of Publication: 1999

Genre: Fiction, Picture book
Summary: A sweet story about the many ways monster momma shows her love for her monster son from tweaking his nose and tickling his pointy toes to making sure his spider's fed.

Evaluative Commentary: Great book for kindergarden age students! Can be part of a Halloween reading unit or a fun twist on Mother's day theme.There is a repeated refrain “My monster mama loves
Meg McGregor
Feb 17, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
What a great and fun read! Not only is this a wonderful story to read at bed time or nap time, it also helps children learn, that monsters aren't necessarily scary.

This little monster's Mother is absolutely great!

She wakes her boy up by tweaking his nose, tickling all his toes, combing all the cobwebs from his bangs, and makes sure he brushes his fangs.

She bakes him cookies filled with bugs. Yummy?!?

She takes him to the swamp to swim.

She comes to all his beastball games.

When the moon sets in t
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
A monsterly good book. Love the silly, rhyming text and the detailed, colorful illustrations showing the monster world. Some monster book illustrations just focus on the monster and maybe a few other nearby objects; this book does it throughout and beautifully. The creaky floor-boards and cobwebs in the house, to a green murky swamp with billowing trees and an amphibious lifeguard, to a park bench at night with an owl perched on a tree with bats flying around.

It was no surprise that half the KG
Comfort Olajide
I read this book it is about a boy and his monster mama who is fond of her child from the minutes he wakes up, she will comb cobwebs from his bangs (fringe of hair) fallen over the forehead and make sure she brushed his fangs, until the time he goes to bed and fed the son's spider. In between she bakes him cookies filled with bugs, takes him to the swamp to swim and shows him how to disappear, takes him to the park to star gaze after dark, then sings him lulabbies to help him sleep. On a rainy a ...more
Tracy
Oct 19, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-children
Every monster mamma needs to read this sweet little story to her monster child. Sweet little story that parents often bring to school and read to our PreK and K classes as we celebrate Silly Monster Day.
Ashlee Curtis
Sep 15, 2015 Ashlee Curtis rated it it was amazing
Such an awesome children's book. The writer did a great job! Also, the illustrations are AMAZING! When I read to my little brother at night he picks two books. I always hope he picks this one because secretly I love it.
Katie Newton
Oct 22, 2014 Katie Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fun. I was only a few pages in when I already had a whole story time planned. My kids thought it was relatable and a little silly.
Oct 21, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is perfect for my story time purposes. Not too long, rhyming words, and a sweet monster story, not scary. Reading it tomorrow at 10:30!
Beth
Jul 23, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love to read aloud books that rhyme, and this one is both sweet and silly. This would be an excellent choice for Halloween time — or anytime.
Carter
Jun 03, 2015 Carter rated it really liked it
I liked how the monster talked about what his mommy did for him and how he told us that our mommies love us too.
Samantha Matiz
Jun 23, 2015 Samantha Matiz rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, love, naptime
This book is great to read during nap time or bed time; especially for children are afraid of "monsters" this story will give a monster a different look and a different meaning of being afraid at bed time.
Keirabauer
Apr 10, 2016 Keirabauer rated it it was amazing
Fun, fun, fun! Wonderful story about the love mamas have for their children.
Phyllis
Aug 03, 2014 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
A favorite picture book illustrated by Utahn Mark Buehner
Casey Browning
Jul 28, 2015 Casey Browning rated it really liked it
This is a good read for the little ones.
Ashley
Shelves: language-play
Language Feature: Rhyming
J-Lynn
Apr 30, 2010 J-Lynn rated it really liked it
This is a fun book to read around Mother's Day. It centers around a genderless monster child who lists all of the ways his monster mother shows that she loves him/her. Funny things like swimming in the swamp, hiding from the humans, playing beastball, etc. The best part of the book are the spooky illustrations, Buehner adds all sorts of small details like flying saucers, and a hunt to find the dinosaur and rabbit hidden on each page. Observant young readers will love identifying all of the detai ...more
Lisa
Nov 22, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Momma monster!!!
Monster
A sweet little picture book where a little monster describes all of the things that that his mother does that tells him she loves him, including taking him to the swamp to swim and combs the cobwebs from his bangs. The book is aimed at ages five to eight and is beautifully illustrated with images of the three eyed monster mama taking care of and supporting her child. This turns out to be a fun book for mothers to share with children or for children's librarians to share at story hour. Recommende ...more
Becca
Nov 20, 2012 Becca rated it really liked it
With rhyming text and hidden pictures in the illustrations, this book is perfect for storytime with young students. I actually did this with K-6 before Halloween, but it would also work well for Mother's Day. I had the students verbally describe where they found the hidden bunny or cat, etc. For some it was quite a challenge--they could see it but not describe the spot to others. We talked about the specificity in descriptions needed so that others can understand and find what we mean.
midnightfaerie
Jan 12, 2014 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Peanut
Oct 07, 2013 Peanut rated it it was amazing
MOMMY: This book is adorable in every way possible. It's a book perfect for growing with a child because they will understand more and notice more in the illustrations as they get older. I love looking at the illustrations because every time we read the book I notice something new.

PEANUT: He's just to the point that he is understanding how funny the words are and he loves looking at the pictures and pointing to things he sees.
Keegan
Nov 07, 2009 Keegan rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-book-moms
I thought this was a fun twist on how parents show their love. The pictures are large and colorful and creepy with three-eyed monsters, snakes, bats, and other such delectable critters. I also enjoyed that human children were the scary creatures for monsters. This is up there with Rick Walton's A Very Hairy Scary Story. Both could be good for Halloween . . . but would also be appropriate at other times of the year.
kaitlyn
Oct 08, 2012 kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-library
This was a fun book with lots of great illustrations. The kindergartners and first graders both loved the story. I tried something new with them while I read this story and frequently asked them questions about what we read or saw in the illustrations, or what they thought would happen next. It was satisfying to see how well they payed attention and how creative they could be with their predictions.
Kelley
May 20, 2008 Kelley rated it it was amazing
We read this book so often that we had to buy another copy. It was a favorite of Grant's when he was about 2 or 3 and we read it and re-read it. The story is presented in rhyme and I still have it memorized even though I haven't read it in a few years. "My monster mama loves me so. Let me tell you how I know. When I wake up she tweaks my nose and tickles all my pointy nose." Well... you get the idea.
Heidi
Used this as a Thu. supplemental in my "For Mom" preschool storytime--suggestions from Sarah N. It was a perfect first book to use. It was funny and the pictures go along with it well. I unfortunately had a quiet, non-interactive group. So I'm not sure if they didn't get it or if they just didn't laugh out loud. It was still a better choice than the long ones I had picked on Tue.
Lesli
Oct 25, 2010 Lesli rated it it was amazing
I will admit I like this book more than my four year old. Or at least more than he lets on, it a funny play on words through the whole book, about all the things a monster mama does for her child. Similar but different than what a human mom would do. I find it so cute, and my kids allow me to read it night after night, and giggle at some of the things monster mama does.
Avery Stevens
Mar 24, 2010 Avery Stevens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my FAVORITE kids book in the entire world! My Mommy used to read this to me when I was younger and even when I was in her stomach she read it to me and I enjoyed it! I know that this book brings back a LOT of memories and I will treasure this book forever and ever! It will be passed down through generations. Its such a cute, loving book.
  • Little Goblins Ten