Start by marking “Yesterday's Promise” as Want to Read:
Yesterday's Promise

Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  337 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
He fought to seek his fortune.
Would he lose a greater treasure: the love he left behind?

As the son of the squire of Grimston Way, aristocrat Rogan Chantry has fought hard to win his independence from Sir Julien Bley and the British South Africa Company. Now, his pursuit of a mysterious deposit of gold, marked on a map willed to him by his murdered uncle, Henry Chantry, i
Published March 9th 2010 by WaterBrook Press (first published February 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday's Promise

Heather
Feb 25, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I received as part of a blog tour. Before reading the book, I was disappointed to find out that this was Book 2 in a series. I hate starting a series (not just books, but anything - TV series, movies, etc.) anywhere but the beginning. Normally, I would table the book until I'd read the previous one in the series. But, I had agreed to read this one and post a review this week. As this was one of two books I was to review this week, I didn't have the time to read Book 1 i ...more
Melissa
This book definitely gave a lot of information about South Africa and the search for gold that was very interesting. It was really intriguing, to have so much of this book take place alongside Rogan Chantry as he searched the Zambezi region for gold. The romance aspect definitely wasn’t as strong in this book as it was in the last, because Rogan and Evy spent almost the entire novel apart from each other.

More and more, this series seems like a lesser copy of Francine Rivers’ Mark of the Lion se
Tabitha
For me the novel Yesterday’s Promise, by Linda Lee Chaikin, was a little bit hard to get into. I figure this is due to the fact that it is the second book of Chaikin’s “East of the Sun Series,” and the first book of the series I’ve read. However, being that I hadn’t read the first book of the series I don’t feel that took anything away from the story. If I would have read the first book this one would have been richer for me of course, but I still really enjoyed it. The only historical novels I ...more
Linda Jennings
This book just never "took off" for me. It had a good plot, but not developed. maybe because if just have this one book and had no background from the 1st book of the series.?
Renee
Feb 22, 2010 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday's Promise is the continuing story of Evy Varley and Rogan Chantry as they each seek to find the answers of their pasts so they can move on with their futures. This book like the first is split between 19th century South Africa and England. The scenery in this book is wonderful. I could actually picture the Big Hole, where diamond mining took place as well as the African wilderness. Rogan Chantry is still as roguish as ever and you can't help but cheer him on as he stands up to Julien B ...more
Lilly W.
Sep 23, 2011 Lilly W. rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! It all starts out with Evy in her cottage alone during a storm she heard something in the attic so she went up opened the door and saw a black figure rushing towards her then she was pushed and got knocked out. When she wakes up she is in London in a hospital about to be transported to the Chantry Townhouse. So she has a high chance of her legs not healing completely and she just might have to be in crutches the rest of her life. Now while she is in London her "boyfriend" ...more
Feb 21, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From My Blog....[return][return]Yesterday's Romance is the second book in Linda Lee Chaikin's East of the Sun Series. While I have not read the first novel, Tomorrow's Treasure, I was quite easily able to follow along with this wonderful historical romance novel. I was pleasantly surprised to discover just how deeply historical Yesterday's Promise is and found the writing to be both fluid and exceedingly engaging. The two main characters Evy Varley and Rowan Chantry are well written and quite en ...more
Emily
Apr 12, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I liked getting to read more of this series' plot, this book didn't hold my interest as well as the first. I'm looking forward to reading the third and final book to see how everything ends up.
Linda B
Feb 23, 2010 Linda B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday's Promise is the second of three East of the Sun series. It is an involved story with mystery, adventure and romance. I would recommend reading the first, Tomorrow's Treasure first. I think it would give a better grasp of the people and situations involved in the story. There are interesting situations and places with valuable treasure, tribal difficulties, and power struggles. I appreciated the author's historical information and a list of historical dates following the story. The wri ...more
Jennifer Defoy
I couldn't get into this one. The story starts out great, but after that I kept getting lost. I don't know why I didn't like this one, I really can't pinpoint it, but it just didn't work for me.

I got about half way through this one and had forgotten the intricacies and relationships between the characters. There weren't a ton of characters, but for some reason I just couldn't keep them straight.

The biggest reason why I didn't like this one is that I just felt so confused through it. The basic s
April Perez
Jul 23, 2015 April Perez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Series. Enjoyed the book.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Yesterday's Promise is the second book in the East Of The Sun trilogy and yet it is possible to read it as a stand alone and still enjoy the story. Set in the 1800's, it's the story of aristocrat Rogan Chantry and Evy Varley and their love that is separated by mystery, blame, and intrigue until finally the truth sets them free. The plot is thick, the mystery deep, but if you enjoy historical romance and suspense this is a good read for a great value.
Mary-Jo
Aug 07, 2013 Mary-Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was 2 out of three in the series. This book is almost as good as the first. The plot got a little complicated with trying to figure out the political undertones of the English, Dutch and South Africans. Lots of detail given to geography of Africa. Got confusing at times, but good to wade through it as the story is full of suspenseful twists and turns. Cannot wait to read the 3rd book!
Andrea
Jul 05, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to the East of the Sun series to continue with this book, but I have to admit that part of the story was dragging for me. I know there's something to keeping your readers in suspense, but the Africa part that quite of the story dragged with just wasn't what I wanted to read. I do like historical fiction, and things got better after awhile. Guess I'm just not very patient.
Jeni Enjaian
Though this is not my favorite of the series I still enjoyed it. My one main complaint is that Rogan and Evy are apart for so much of the book and as much as I enjoy the Africa portions, it just wasn't as compelling for the above reason. This book is wonderful light reading that will definitely stay a long time in my personal library.
Ellie
Mar 08, 2010 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it...but didn't like as much as I did the first one in the series. I wished that the the main character and the guy she falls in love with were interacted a bit more than the author had them. But other than that, it was good.
Jill
Jun 13, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in a trilogy of books. Continues the adventures in the first book, a little more historical but I did enjoy it and will be reading the third book.
Jamie
Mar 03, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good for me as the first one, mostly because it doesn't have as much of the romance. But still some great mystery and history, a wonderful read!
Diane Duncan
Apr 30, 2014 Diane Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this 'East of the Sun' series and will look for other books by this author
Julie
Really should be more like 3.5 stars. Review will be posted on my blog soon.
Sparky
Feb 15, 2008 Sparky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
2nd in the series. Interesting but a bit drier than the first book.
Connie Paddle
Dec 17, 2015 Connie Paddle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Very good book,now on to the third part.
Afifa
Jan 31, 2013 Afifa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was really great
heel leuk geschreven!
Corrah E
Dec 16, 2012 Corrah E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent book & and excellent series!!!
Angie Rouse
Angie Rouse rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Joy
Joy added it
Jan 16, 2016
  • Bachelor's Puzzle (Patchwork Circle, #1)
  • Deirdre (Fires of Gleannmara, #3)
  • The Bridegrooms
  • The Golden Cross (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #2)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Here Burns My Candle (Here Burns My Candle, #1)
  • Stand-In Groom (Brides of Bonneterre #1)
  • A Mending at the Edge (Change and Cherish Historical #3)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • The Blue Enchantress (Charles Towne Belles Book 2)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Nadia (Heirs of Anton, #2)
Linda Chaikin is a Christian fiction author with a focus on historical fiction. She sometimes publishes using the name L.L. Chaikin.

Linda was the youngest of 10 children and her father died shortly after she was born. She wrote her first full-length novel with pen and paper at the age of 14 - this novel was later rewritten as Wednesday's Child, part of the Day to Remember series.

She met her husban
More about Linda Lee Chaikin...

East of the Sun (3 books)
  • Tomorrow's Treasure (East of the Sun #1)
  • Today's Embrace (East of the Sun #3)