Start by marking “There Are Monsters Everywhere” as Want to Read:
There Are Monsters Everywhere

There Are Monsters Everywhere

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
What kid doesn't suspect that there are monsters lurking under the bed, behind the shower curtain, in the basement, and even outside by the garbage cans? Mercer Mayer brilliantly and hilariously captures this classic childhood fear—and conquers it! Kids will cheer as the young hero of the story takes matters into his own hands by learning karate. Soon he has the monsters r ...more
Published July 7th 2005 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about There Are Monsters Everywhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are Monsters Everywhere

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakLeonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo WillemsThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneGo Away, Big Green Monster! by Ed EmberleyEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligott
Picture Books with Monsters
33rd out of 134 books — 38 voters
Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakNot a Box by Antoinette PortisGoldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo WillemsNot a Stick by Antoinette Portis
Make Believe Picture Books
27th out of 34 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Charlene
Feb 21, 2016 Charlene rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children taking karate, children who like monsters
Shelves: read-to-babies, 2016
I love the pictures, I enjoy how the story reads, but this book did nothing to assuage my six year old daughter's fears. As a matter of fact, after the boy in the story proclaims at the end of the book that there are indeed monsters everywhere, but that he does not care, my daughter proclaimed, "He's very brave." I followed up with, "You can be brave, too," to which she replied, "I'm not!"

I tried to use the book as a launching point for discussion about how the monsters are in the boy's imaginat
Jamala Alkeshi
Sep 11, 2012 Jamala Alkeshi rated it it was amazing
The first thing that I want to say in regards to this book is that I can relate to this little boy, and other children reading it can probably relate even more. So this made it really fun for me to read as I could put myself in the characters shoes. I really enjoyed all the illustrations, especially of the monsters, they were very well done. At the end of the book the monsters even look scared in a very animated way which is great for kids reading it as it may get rid of some of these monster fe ...more
Gail Gauthier
May 12, 2016 Gail Gauthier rated it it was amazing
"Good story about a kid overcoming monsters that may or may not be everywhere. "

Excerpt from Original Content.
Jrowe
Sep 06, 2014 Jrowe rated it it was amazing
I am such a big fan of Mercer Mayer and Maurice Sendak! These monsters are beautiful and the story empowers children. How fun to see monsters scared of kids!!
Monster
A young boy feels menaced by monsters that seem to be everywhere, in his room, by the garbage, and hiding in the bathroom. Our unnamed hero decides he can't take it anymore and gets his parents to take him to karate class, where he develops self confidence. When he returns home, he scares the monsters away with some well placed karate moves to garbage cans and shower curtains. While some could interpret the story as suggesting that violence is an appropriate way to deal with fear, Mayer provides ...more
Rachel
Nov 12, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Forrest really enjoyed this one (probably in part because he has been asking to take karate classes for a while!).
Rachel
Apr 05, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
My review is a little biased because I absolutely love Mercer Mayer books, especially his monster ones, and this one is jam-packed with monster illustrations. In this book, a young boy is certain there are monsters everywhere in and around his house, so he decides to take a karate class to scare them away. It works and he feels more safe in his house, plus he picks up a new hobby. I think the illustrations are great, especially the green and yellow monster behind his bedroom door. This books mak ...more
Jeani
Oct 31, 2015 Jeani rated it liked it
My five year old liked that the monsters were funny and at the end the boy was so brave.
Jasmine Olivia
Feb 08, 2014 Jasmine Olivia rated it really liked it
Jasmine really enjoyed finding the monsters in this book. :)
Kristin
Aug 07, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
A young boy sees monsters everywhere but his parents never see them. Isn't that always the way?
My first grade boys in clinic LOVED this book. It was one of the first books we read and they told me weeks later that it was their favorite book of the summer. It was a bit of a challenging read for them so I read it to them while they followed along in their own copies. The book is entertaining and the pictures are great. Highly recommended for young reluctant readers. Will definitely buy and teach a
Karissa
Apr 15, 2015 Karissa rated it really liked it
I want a copy of this for my children!
Adrienne
Jan 29, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lots of fun illustrations in this book. I like how the boy faces his fear of monsters.
Janice
Dec 24, 2008 Janice rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children afraid of monsters under their bed
Recommended to Janice by: Children's Book Club
This is a story about a kid who is afraid of monsters until he takes karate, and I guess it is kind of cute. Not one of my favorites, but the pictures are fun. There is a little baby bum crack in the pictures while the little boy fights monsters in the shower, and so everytime we read this book my kids tell me all about how no one wants to see other people naked and how he should cover up or not draw pictures while he is in the shower. But if you don't mind baby bum, you might enjoy it.
Elisha Condie
Dec 18, 2008 Elisha Condie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is the other book I've been reading 10 times a day for what seems like years. My kids LOOOOOVE this book. A little boy is scared of the monsters that are all around his house until he takes karate class and learns to scare 'em off. My 23 month old often wants to sit in her crib with this book and look at it by herself (yes!). This is a great book.

I fear I've opened the floodgates with recommending childrens books. I'm only going to do the ones we really love. A lot.
Phil Mitchell
Nov 02, 2009 Phil Mitchell rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Mercer Meyer never seems to let me down. Not only are the illustrations great, some are quite humorous. The story is a good story to teach kids to fight their fears. However, there are some pictures that may seem questionable. I would use your own discretion prior to using this at school. One of my students loved this book. It is for all ages.
Melanie
A boy is convinced that there are monsters in his house even though they seem to hide when his parents are home. But he knows they are there, especially when he's in the shower shampooing his hair. He finally gets his parents to agree to send him to karate classes. They agreed. The boy becomes so adept at karate that the monsters don't dare come near him.
Meredith
Apr 12, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, library
I love Mercer Mayer, and I love this book more than all of the Little Critter books, combined. Kid sees monsters everywhere. Parent's don't believe him. He signs up for karate classes and learns how to be confident and scare away the monsters. Also, finally takes out the trash by himself. :-) I enjoyed it immensely.
Amy Murray
Apr 16, 2011 Amy Murray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-zoey
Perfect book for preschoolers! I love that the main character learns to overcome his fear of monsters by learning karate...once he feels fierce and empowered, the monsters miraculously disappear! Zoey loves this book and we have read it over and over and over the past few weeks. Maybe she'll want to learn karate??
Trisha
Feb 20, 2011 Trisha rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This was a cute story, but I didn't like the way the little boy learns Karate to fight the monsters. I guess that's how kids may see Karate, but usually a Karate instructor teaches for defense and not offense and doesn't promote "fighting". Classic Mercer Mayer illustrations though.
Stephanie
Apr 11, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stephanie by: Soldotna Library
Shelves: children-s
Mercer Mayer never fails when it comes to children's literature. We are big fans. This is a fun way to help children who dream/see/believe in monsters to find confidence and become fearless (when it comes to monsters). Empowerment is the key.
Lora
This book cracks me up! We are big Mercer Mayer fans around here, and this one didn't let us down. I especially like the boy's karate moves on the trash can (you'll have to read it to see what I mean!).
Tricia
Dec 17, 2008 Tricia rated it really liked it
great imagination book for the ages that fixate on monsters (3s). little boy takes karate so no longer cares that monsters are everywhere. maybe i need to take karate!?
Mar 31, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Kate picked this out at the library today, and I have to say I find it surprisingly funny. I hope she likes it enough to read it many more times over the next few weeks.
Zonia
Apr 17, 2009 Zonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-school
Finally a sequel to There's a Nightmare in My Closet. When he is sure there are monsters everywhere, a boy takes steps to make sure they know who is boss.
Deborah
Sep 17, 2010 Deborah rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Not as good as other Mercer Mayer books, the illustrations are lacking, but the story line is okay for a 5 yr old going through changes in his life
The Brothers
A little boy faces his fear of all the monsters in his life by learning some martial arts.

Great illustrations.
Heather
Feb 13, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
45 months -Conquering fears, little boy afraid of monsters takes karate lessons and over comes them.
Sara
Sep 01, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
There is no other way to say it but that this is HILARIOUS! I enjoy reading it again and again and again.
Karen
Mar 27, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
You can read a review of this book at my blog: http://familybriefs.com/2007/11/03/st...
Caren
Oct 17, 2010 Caren rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A boy who is sure that there are monsters everywhere. Cute book.
  • Big Chickens
  • The Retired Kid
  • If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail
  • D.W., Go to Your Room!
  • Flutterby Fly (Serendipity)
  • Ready for Anything!
  • The Spooky Tail of Prewitt Peacock
  • I'm a Manatee
  • Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • No More Monsters for Me!
  • A Treasury of Children's Literature
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • King Hugo's Huge Ego
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Monsters Eat Whiny Children
  • The Boss Baby
  • The Adventures of Taxi Dog
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...